Start by marking “Home Education (Original Homeschooling #1)” as Want to Read:
Home Education (Original Homeschooling #1)

Home Education

(Original Homeschooling #1)

Home Education consists of six lectures by Charlotte Mason about the raising and educating of young children (up to the age of nine), for parents and teachers. She encourages us to spend a lot of time outdoors, immersed in nature and handling natural objects and collecting experiences on which to base the rest of their education. She discusses the use of training in good h ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Home Education, please sign up.

Start your review of Home Education (Original Homeschooling #1)
Amy
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, me
This is a wonderful book not only for educators, but for parents! I found the last part about the will invaluable not only for my children, but for MYSELF.
Mystie Winckler
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, 2010
Own.

I attempted this book several years ago, but I didn't make it passed the talk at the beginning about airing, vulgar servants, and other particulars to Victorian London. This time I skimmed through the beginning and was rewarded by the meaty and edifying second half.

I liked the title: Home Education: Training and Educating Children under Nine. Yes, under nine we are assuming are best suited to learning at home under their mother's care rather than at school under a master. Miss M
Renee
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading this as my oldest is soon turning 9, I feel that I could have done things differently. Mason was very wise and lots of her writing makes sense and are sound. Parenting and teaching does not come with a manual but this is the closest it comes to an instructional manual as it gets .

Tricia
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Will return to this again. First read took a loooong time to digest.
Read second time through with book club. Gleaned so much wisdom & was able to apply more with older children.
Charlotte
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I started reading this book because I had read of some homeschooling methods that were based on Charlotte Mason’s books on education. She wrote Home Education in 1886, and as I read I was amazed at how much of what she says is still applicable today. There have been changes in science and in the world, but since the chief object of her book is how to educate your children; children are much the same as they ever were. They are born into the world and need to grow and learn about the world around ...more
Betsy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life.”

AT LAST!
Finally finished Home Education, by Charlotte Mason, thanks to a wonderful slow-read book club. After reading through, I am confirmed in my inclinations to offer my kids a Charlotte Mason education. I believe it is an age-appropriate way to inspire the curiosity, imagination and wonder critical to a traditional liberal arts education.

A few main thoughts: some info is specific to Mason's time and place. I'm n
Samantha
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I've read many books and blogs on Charlotte Mason Philosophy of Education. While reading Home Education I was already pretty familiar with what I was reading based on my other readings. Much can be learned from CM original writings. Home Education is more than an educational foundation for homeschooling parents its more about child training than education. It covers more about building habits and laying a foundation for your child to be successful not just in education but in life as a person, a ...more
Danielle DeVane Wells
I truly enjoyed this book! It was my first taste of reading straight from "the horse's mouth" (charlotte mason). And while I found it more difficult to read (no skimming!) than books written closer to our current time, I found it full of wisdom! It may have taken me longer to read through this because I had to read each word, but it was worth it!

Her ideas about how children should be treated (as little people with developing minds and opinions of their own), how children should be in
Ashley Abate
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ms. Mason has a heart for children and went to a great deal of effort to offer an alternative to the classical British approach to education (“stand up there and say your lesson!”). She has a good deal of wisdom and fresh ideas I was happy to pick up for my children’s education. I am also grateful to her for her thoughts on healthy habits, building a will to do what’s right, and strengthening a child’s conscience.

That said, if I didn’t already know a lot of her principles I may have
Jodi
I loved this! It's a weighty book, meaty and one to move through slowly, pondering as you go. There were certainly some things to take with a grain of salt, but overall, I love Charlotte's methods and her perspective. She was ahead of her time in many of her ideas, and so much of what she theorized has now been supported by modern brain research!

This was so helpful for me to gain a better understanding of her approach and underlying philosophy. Never mind that it's supposed to be for
Elsa
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
*trumpet fanfare*

It only took me six years, but I finally finished it! My oldest child is six-and-a-half and started first grade/form 1B last week, natch.

This is a great introduction to the Mason educational philosophy, with a mix of practical and philosophical advice. The reason I kept getting stuck is two-fold.

One: near the beginning she talks about how to select a governess and whether to feed your kid beef, and she assumes that the mother implementing her
Rachel
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, homeschool, 2018
So much excellent wisdom, not just on homeschooling but so much on parenting. I appreciated so many of the insights she wrote and how it’s still true 100 years later. Some parts do not stand the test of time, though; the parts that talk about what to eat and wear. Things have obviously changed since then but for everything else this is invaluable.
Kristin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were so many good, practical ideas in this book that inspired me on simple ways I can infuse learning in our day-to-day lives.
Melissa Henry
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Never be within doors when you can rightly be without."
Amanda Patchin
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of good thoughts, Rather disorganized, and very bound to its time.
siriusedward
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little bit rambling but on the whole a delightful and enriching read.Though I don't agree with everything she says ,I do love how she sees a child as an individual worthy of respect and everything.
She hates talking down to the kids , which I do too.
Thanks a lot Miss Mason for your wonderful ideas and thoughts on the education of the children , which is especially good in these times of rushing along and not taking time to savor the moments and the very life.
Thanks for giving
Summer
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Mason was wise in her time and beyond her time. I’m very thankful I was encouraged to learn more of her teaching methods.
Lekeshua
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and believe I will enjoy the entire series. Even if you aren't planning to homeschool and have children or grandchildren, I would recommend this book to you. Children are people too and that's very important to remember. Many people don't see that as the case which is difficult for me to understand but each their own. No judgement cast.
This is not what I would call a detailed curriculum guide for home educators. Information is provided on how the subjects should be
Deanna
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
July 2011: I read this twice this month. This is a great book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This has been on my "to buy" list for many years. I just never got around to buying it. I wish I had read this book years ago. It would of saved me heartache and misery. At least I have read it now though, before my kids are to0 old.

I've decided that every young women needs to read and study this thourghly before they become a mother. T
Ruth Williams
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like many, I discovered Charlotte Mason through Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's book, For the Children's Sake. As wonderful as that book is, there is nothing like reading Charlotte Mason herself to truly grasp her method of educating children. I am currently rereading for the fifth or sixth time.
Mackenzie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: makes-me-think
It was good to hear Charlotte Mason's theories straight from her mouth - but I now know why most people choose to about her writings instead of her writings. She is not pithy.

Update
Lara
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've finally finished book #5 and I'm excited to start at the beginning now. I have to try to refrain from underlining every single paragraph in these books.
Tanya
Oct 23, 2012 added it
Shelves: education
I love this book! I learned so much from this. I learned how and why to be out in nature. I learned how live a more peaceful life.
Shannon
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relaxing-reads
I'm eating my humble pie with this one, because my first impression of Charlotte Mason was "everyone who uses/reads her is obsessed with her and I'm tired of hearing her name." So now, when I quote from this book to my husband, he always gets a sly smile that, without words, says, "Who wrote that again? Whose curriculum are you using again?" YEAH YEAH OKAY.

At first I was unconvinced. This volume begins with a lot of talk about "airing the room" and instructing the governess on this o
Ian
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly excellent work on education. It's a shame that someone doesn't go back over this material and edit it a bit, because the inane pseudoscience of much of Part I almost turned me off to this book completely; there are, however, some good passages even there. I really got into the book, though, around Part II, and after that it got better and better. Mason has done a tremendous job here of thinking through what it means to impart a specifically Christian education (far more, I am sorry to sa ...more
Alyssa Bohon
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The somewhat slim size of this volume is deceptive, because it contains so much. It is packed with concentrated wisdom on a multitude of topics - from outdoor living and specifics of learning to read, narrate and spell, to habit formation and religious instruction. This woman had discernment - a heart both shrewd and caring. Best of all, she had a real reverence and love for the Lord Jesus Christ and a desire to point children to him. She inspired me greatly. I was long in reading the book, and ...more
Becky
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good content in this book. The book is divided into six parts; Preliminary Considerations, Out-Of -Door Life For the Children, Habit is Ten Natures, Some Habits of Mind - Some Moral Habits, Lessons as Instruments of Education, and The Will - The Conscience - The Divine Life In the Child. The most helpful was PART V - Lessons as Instruments of Education which discussed what lessons young children should have and gave example lessons. It is important to remember as you read Char ...more
Brit
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this volume rather tedious to get through. There were parts that I enjoyed but so much was unattainable (no hope here of hiring a nurse, cook, housekeeper, nor cook to do all the things so I could dedicate large portions of my day to my not quite school aged children), unrealistic (weekly, let alone daily, excursions to the country for fresh air and hours out of doors just can’t happen), or developmentally inappropriate (using Bede’s Ecclesiastical History of England with my less-than-9 ...more
Rah
Charlotte Mason blew me away. I grew up hearing references to her, and her method, but never heard or read her original work. In fact, some of the summaries or "how to" books left me with a murky understanding of who she is and what made her soecial.

Rather than dismissing her or attempting to gain understanding through second-hand sources, I decided to read her books for myself.

Ms. Mason makes so much sense! Don't take my word for how wonderful she is, go to the source an
Mary Sasala
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Mason is one of the most popular philosophies in the home schooling community and many of the people I follow and curriculums I’ve chosen have been based upon her work. So I decided to read her philosophy myself.

She wrote many volumes this is just her first. Written at the time of the 1900s it is surprising how modern it reads.

She believes in a total immersion of education. Learning in a more organic way. It was not written nor should it be considered a homeschooling approach. Yet th
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Home Education, by Charlotte M. Mason 1 2 Sep 07, 2017 09:00AM

• For the Children's Sake
  • Mere Motherhood: Morning times, nursery rhymes, and my journey toward sanctification
  • Know and Tell: The Art of Narration
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • The Lifegiving Parent: Giving Your Child a Life Worth Living for Christ
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Are Women Human? Astute and Witty Essays on the Role of Women in Society
  • Understood Betsy
Charlotte Mason, a renowned British educator, lived during the turn of the 20th century. She turned the idea of education being something of utilitarian necessity into an approach based upon living ideas. She believed that education is "an atmosphere, a discipline, a life" and a "science of relations." Her methods are embraced around the world today, especially among the homeschool community.

Original Homeschooling (6 books)
  • Parents and Children (Original Homeschooling #2)
  • School Education: Developing A Curriculum (Original Homeschooling #3)
  • Ourselves (Original Homeschooling #4)
  • Formation of Character (Original Homeschooling #5)
  • A Philosophy of Education
“The formation of habits is education, and education is the formation of habits.” 4 likes
“Diluted Knowledge.--But, poor children, they are too often badly used by their best friends in the matter of the knowledge” 1 likes