Start by marking “Murder in Scorpio (Elizabeth Chase Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Scorpio (Elizabeth Chase Mystery #1)

Murder in Scorpio (Elizabeth Chase #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Published November 1st 1995 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Scorpio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Scorpio

Beatrice
A car, driving late at night on a winding coastal road....hit head on by a drunk driver. Tragic, yes. A mystery, no. So why does the cop continue to insist that something is not right about this young woman's death? Enter Elizabeth Chase, a licensed private investigator with a little something extra - psychic visions. Flashes of insight lead Elizabeth down unexpected paths, including getting shot at in front of her home - something no one could have predicted.

An enjoyable mystery. I enjoyed the
C.
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun discovery! I’ve seen Martha C. Lawrence’s novels and feel rewarded by how good this is. We have a grown lady of thirty-five, a cat for whom she shows great care, and she touches on the mystical in a believable fashion. I enjoy full-blown paranormal fare but this heroine’s demonstrations; gut feelings and astute readings, are logical and tame enough to reflect their real life workings. Astrology only appears near the end and is not a subject I know but I’ve read that it is thousand ...more
Cat.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Yea! I read this in less than four hours. It's silly and mysterious and wonderfully light. In other words, just what I needed!

This is series mystery fiction at it's best. The investigator in this series is Elizabeth Chase, a psychic working with the police to figure out if a double car accident in San Diego county was actually a planned event. She's the usual spunky girl detective a la Kinsey Millhone, only less thoroughly fleshed out as a character. Then again, Kinsey's been around for almost 2
Susan
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love the main character in this story. Her sense of humor (smiles for me throughout) and extrasensory abilities leaves me wanting to "follow" her on more investigating adventures. She's a women after my own heart who... "carts around a handbag the size of carry-on luggage". That way if she's ever stuck waiting in line she can pull out a book or two she has stashed inside and "fall into the wonderful worlds created by authors."

I looked the author up online and noticed she hasn't written anythin
Cherry Williams
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another underrepresented series on Kindle omitting the best books naturally. Protagonist Elizabeth Chase, private eye and parapsycholist, helps police with unsolved crimes. Medium meets Sue Grafton, leavened with Victoria Laurie and accented by Tony Hillerman's mystical elements. These books are hard hitting, sometimes horrific without being graphic, superbly well written, with wonderful touches of the human heart, sad and satisfying by turns.
Jo
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series years ago when they were relatively new. I really enjoyed all of the series. Once I started one I couldn't put it down. Once in a while I have looked to see if she continued writing more books, but it appears that was the end of it. At some point I will go back and reread them to see if they still have the same appeal to me.
Alisa
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this series were better known. Introducing psychic abilities into the PI genre is very risky, and the author pulls it off with aplomb. The protagonist, a sometimes psychic Ph.D, is likable and surprisingly down-to-earth.
Bevjirwin
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
stupid book. just silly ,a romance thrown in for no good reason. the murder plot and guilty were obvious-just a waste of time. there are good cozy writers.i like to read one every now and then for a break from more heavy authors. lawrence doesn't fall into that group
Marion Kipiani
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
First of the series, got me irretrievably hooked on the mix of crime and parapsychology. PI (psychic investigator) Elizabeth Chase uncovers the dark goings-on behind a seemingly fatal car accident. Gripping!
Kim
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, this was my third time reading it, enjoy every one in the series, most are fantastic. Main character has some psychic abilities, but it's not a woo-woo book, clever weaving of regular PI work with intuitive flashes. First in a series of 5.
2.5 stars. I can enjoy some paranormal stuff but this didn't grab me. The astrology and the detective's enthusiasm for guns decidedly turned me off. It was a decent story nonetheless but I won't be reading any more in this series.
Sharon Beckas
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy her style - light reading. Quick reads.
Cat Zornes
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is a wonderful mystery writer
Trish
May 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-paranormal
Quite a decent psychic detective story. I liked the two main characters and the psychic bit was well done, without being over done. Will pick up more of the series.
Judym
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good series.
Mary
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating 4.5 stars =)
Diana
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it an enjoyable change as the hero/detective is psychic and a regular person her gifts don't come on demand but when they are ready and she is fallible so a nice change
JenniferB
Good author, about psychic investigator
Melissa
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is my second reading of this book - this first was years ago. I enjoyed it enough to look for another installment.
Vicki
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
stumbled on this series in the mystery section at the library, love the characters and can't wait to read the series!
Debbie
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great mystery..I loved the characters. This was a quick read and I think I am going to try the next book in the series.
Evie Woolmore
I was sorry she stopped writing these, because I liked the psychic angle very much and thought she handled it well. Good crime fiction, well-constructed, with a clever twist.
Wanda Shuster
Feb 08, 2011
Rhiannon Newberry
Jan 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Harm None (A Rowan Gant Investigation #1)
  • Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries
  • Restless Spirit (Sam Casey Mystery, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Maigret's Failure
  • I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (Brianna Sullivan Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Asking For Murder (Advice Column Mystery, #3)
  • Faked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Ghost of a Gamble (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #4)
  • The Burning Time
  • Written in the Stars (Circle of Three, #12)
  • Kaleidoscope
  • Of Grave Concern (An Ophelia Wylde Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #2)
  • Nine Gates (Breaking the Wall, #2)
  • Under Witch Moon (Moon Shadows, #1)
Martha C. Lawrence has worked as a book editor, a professional astrologer, and a business writer. She is the creator of 'Dr. Elizabeth Chase', P.I. and parapsychologist in San Diego, California.
More about Martha C. Lawrence...

Elizabeth Chase (5 books)
  • The Cold Heart of Capricorn (Elizabeth Chase, #2)
  • Aquarius Descending (Elizabeth Chase, #3)
  • Pisces Rising (Elizabeth Chase, #4)
  • Ashes of Aries (Elizabeth Chase, #5)