Start by marking “Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)

Black Sun

(Between Earth and Sky #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  8,184 ratings  ·  2,290 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn comes the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy, inspired by the civilizations of the Pre-Columbian Americas and woven into a tale of celestial prophecies, political intrigue, and forbidden magic.

A god will return
When the earth and sky converge
Under the black sun

In the holy city of Tova, t
Published October 13th 2020 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Sun, please sign up.
Katie Rose Thank you so much! I'm currently reading the ARC and I love it so much! I'm definitely going to post the review soon! And I'm excited to see the maps …moreThank you so much! I'm currently reading the ARC and I love it so much! I'm definitely going to post the review soon! And I'm excited to see the maps ☺️(less)
Danielle Robb I'm reading this now and I'd say it could be 16+.…moreI'm reading this now and I'd say it could be 16+.(less)

·  8,184 ratings  ·  2,290 reviews

Start your review of Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
chai ♡
Alright. Here are 5 reasons why you should read “Black Sun”. Buckle up.

1. “Black Sun” is a Remarkable Achievement of Storytelling

“Black Sun” is less a novel, and more an experience. Roanhorse’s storytelling will carry you far from home, sweeping like a sweet wind past jagged mountains, over vast expanses of ocean and cliff cities that weathered the anger of gods. It will pour you into ships with fickle crewmen and ill-lit cells that unlock to new beginnings. It will siphon you away from the dea
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Banging my head against the door! Why I didn’t notice this remarkably creative author’s work before! ( Right now I’m adding her previous works to my monstrous tbr and I’m not afraid of any eruption!)

The world building already blew my mind with its refreshing view which is inspired by Pre-Columbian Americans (indigenous people)! The story centered on 4 characters:
Serapio: a young boy’s suffering and tremendously compelling journey to turn turn into a Crow God has the most remarkable part a
mina reads™️
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
as the oracle lady gaga once said “talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, showstopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique”

This is the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy which is inspired by the civilizations of the pre-colonial Americas. This setting was absolutely brilliant, it was vibrant and captivating from the very first chapter. We embark on a journey of celestial prophesy, political intrigue, and magic.

We follow multiple POVs, a shy blind young man, Serapio, des
Petrik
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRjh...

ARC provided by the publisher—Saga Press—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Fascinating world-building and riveting narrative. Black Sun was my first venture in Rebecca Roanhorse’s works, and it certainly won’t be the last.

I’ve heard a lot of great things about The Sixth World, an ongoing urban fantasy series by Roanhorse, but I haven’t managed to get to them yet. When I saw this book being offered t
Joel Rochester
This was such a fresh, unique, and intriguing book.

I can't wait to discuss it in tonight's liveshow [https://youtu.be/XHGDvND0ewQ]!
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books, i-own
Hmmmm......

Overall a solid fantasy filled with fascinating characters and colorful storytelling, (and an incredible strong start with the most foreboding tone that sets off the rest of the book), this had too much of a 'telling and not showing' aspect to it. And the second aspect I didn't really like: this one really sets up its grandiose twists and promises all for the sequel. All the build up, albeit beautifully and well written, but still too little too late for me.

Xiala was a favorite, t
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

Epic fantasy fans – rejoice! Get ready to shout from your rooftops and jump for joy.

Because Rebecca Roanhorse has given us a gift. A magical and wondrous gift. Black Sun, the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy, is FANTASTIC.

“A god will return
When the earth and sky converge
Under the black sun”

On the continent of Meridian lies the holy city of Tova, home to the Watchers and the Sky Made clans, where celebrations for the
S.A. Chakraborty
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just finished BLACK SUN by and genuinely don't have words to convey how absolutely tremendous it is. You ever just feel honored to read a book? To feel the boundaries of your genre expand and delight in knowing how many people are going to love it and feel seen?

If you like any sort of fantasy, you NEED it. Epic fantasy set in a world inspired by the Pre-Columbian Americas in a way that is glorious and celebratory and rich. Slow burn romance and lady sea captains and awesome cliff cities and a
Samantha
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
TW: blood; mutilation/scarification; self harm; drug and alcohol use; suicide

I listened to this on audio and highly recommend it as the cast is wonderful. This book solidified Roanhorse as an author I’ll be keeping my eye on. This combines interesting lore (crow mythology AND mermaids/sirens?!), political intrigue, and celestial events into one satisfying start to a series. There are a few cliffhangers at the end, so I am distressed that we don’t already have a release date for the sequel.
Riley
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IMMACULATE
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! I loved it!! Someone run over to my wishlist and get me the hardback 😂🤣. Ima get it in February 😉

I’m going to get the Audible later as well. I really loved the narrators!! I loved the characters too damn it 💕💕💕💕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Marzuqa
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More like a 4.5, but everything about this book was simply stunning! Right from the cover to the writing, the story line and the world building. This was such an engaging epic fantasy story, one like I’ve never read before.
Riveting from start to finish. The multiple POVs were particularly interesting and I loved all the characters.
I’m so looking forward to seeing how this series develops, and ahh that ending.

PS: I’m never gonna be able to look at crows the same way again. If you know, you know.
jenny✨
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who adored Jade City or The First Sister
The self-deprecating part of me that is unused to overwhelming positive emotion (and that attempts to minimize anything of meaning to me) was tempted to start this review off by quipping, This is the book I never knew I needed! but that wouldn’t be quite right.

In truth, this is the book my soul—and the souls of many others, I’m sure—has needed for a long, long time.

This is a story that is founded on Indigenous mythology and epistemologies (and written by an Indigenous person); that centres cha
Lisa
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Gallery/Saga Press, Rebecca Roanhorse and Netgalley.
The synopsis of the book pulled me in. The whole dang story made me stay!
I was expecting Aztecs, or Mayans. What I got was a fantasy quest that sucked me in so fast that I was actually heartbroken to read the final pages. Luckily!! It's not finished! Ms. Roanhorse has my damned attention!
Egads! I love this story!
Bradley
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I feel vindicated. Rebecca Roanhorse writes a fine, fine epic fantasy.

I knew she could do good UF, but we all know that epic fantasy requires a huge amount of worldbuilding to do it right. And this is evident in Black Sun. :)

One strong point: the opening worked REALLY, REALLY well for me. I haven't read such a strong start of a book in a long time. Visceral, scary, making me ask tons of questions and freaking OUT. Very good stuff.

As for the epic stuff? Gorgeous backdrop, lots of fascinating Po
Mara
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book starts with one of the most propulsive opening scenes I've ever read. From there, at least for me, it never let up and this is probably my favorite book I've read so far this year. This is high fantasy exactly the way I like: 1) character driven, 2) with political machinations, 3) in an interesting, non-basic-b****-medieval world, 4) with cool magical elements, 5) that doesn't lag & keeps me engaged throughout. I absolutely cannot wait for the rest of this trilogy and this is one of th ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

EDIT 21/02 : LAST DAY TO ENTER! I'm giving away a paperback copy of Black Sun on my blog, INTL okay!

Book really do save us, don't they? During the rough couple of days I've just been through, Black Sun's light was so striking - I'm in awe. Don't you love it when books just creep up on you without you even noticing? When the real world, that asshole, calls you back, and you suddenly realize how painful taking a break feels? Because god, my love for this book felt so sneaky.

Today he w
Thomas
Good book though not a great fit for me. Reading Black Sun reminded me a lot of my experience reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. While I recognize the quality of the world-building, this type of epic fantasy rarely appeals to me if the characters are not compelling and well-developed.

I appreciated the novel’s world-building in that it is inspired by the pre-Columbian cultures of the Americas. I also enjoyed the inclusion of LGBTQ+ individuals, in particular characters who are a third gend
may ➹
[holds head in hands]

// buddy read with kate!
marta
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommended to marta by: jenny✨
Shelves: fucking-magical
"It is said that crows can remember the faces of men who hurt them and do not forgive. They will carry a grudge against their tormentor until their deaths and pass on their resentment to their children. It is how they survive.

4/5

This book was honestly earth-shattering and it’s taken me two days to try and compose my thoughts, so prepare for an excited rant review.

The story follows three characters, each with different morals, upbringing, and goals, which creates an interesting dynamic.

Sera
aarya
Bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CD5CJyTgo...

I am angry at how phenomenal this book is. Like, what gave you the right to be so good, BLACK SUN? Go preorder this, everyone. You’ll thank me for it.

But he did have something that others lacked, something he would have willingly traded for love had the bargain ever been offered. He had purpose.

“A man with a destiny is a man who fears nothing,” he whispered to himself.

I feel inadequate in writing any sort of review because it would pale in
Charlie Jane Anders
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book last week, and I'm still thinking about it a lot. Roanhorse already blew my mind with Trail of Lightning, but this feels like an even richer world and an even more fascinating group of characters. The way she jumps around in time, and everything comes together in a beautifully intense crescendo, feels like the best high-wire act. The world, with all of its different cultures and religions, drawn from the pre-Columbian Americas, feels so vividly drawn and keenly observed and I co ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I was so damn hyped for this and it did not disappoint! The world was *chefs kiss* so iconically adult fantasy. Felt familiar but different. The characters were fantastic and I'm a big fan of our main character especially! Super excited for the next book and I absolutely love the physical copy. I don't know what material they used on the dustkackets but it's like...it kinda glows big it's not glittery metallic or foil.

Rep: no labels are given but the m/c has an "entanglement" with a woman as wel
Mari
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it

I haven't decided if this is 4 or 4.5 stars.

Why you may not like this book: This is a fantasy told in four perspectives, and one that relies more on you investing in characters than in juicy descriptions or plot details. The characters all worked for me, and it's hard for me to say why they might not work for others. However, if even just one POV doesn't land with a reader, I can see this being a lesser and imbalanced experience.

Additionally, this is a race against a clock that felt rather stea
Elle
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
This was such a divergence from almost any other fantasy book I’ve read. And for the most part, that has been a good thing. I’ve really got to hand it to Rebecca Roanhorse here, she’s crafted an explosive start to a series set in a time and place not normally seen in this genre. Consider me thoroughly impressed.

The first book in the Between the Earth and Sky trilogy, Black Sun begins with a brutal opening scene that sets the tone for the rest of the book. The story picks up several years later
Justina Ireland
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Go ahead and preorder this from your local indie now. You're going to want to be the first of your friend group to crow (lol) about this brilliant fantasy novel.

High fantasy has always been very hit or miss for me, mostly because it takes a lot for me to suspend my disbelief. Too many fantasy authors think a vaguely Arthurian setting, dudes in armor with swords and randomly misspelled/capitalized words (Magick, for example) make for great fantasy, and I disagree. What makes fantasy great is the
sarah
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Black Sun is the first instalment in the Between Earth and Sky series, a high fantasy inspired by pre-columbian americas. We follow multiple perspectives from all across this vibrant world, all seemingly separate at the beginning, but soon become entangled with one another's story. While it took me quite a bit of time to get invested in the story, once I became immersed, I was in love.

This story and world is so expansive that I don't even know how to give an accurate summary that does justice t
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
This was just okay. I was so uninvested in the whole thing that when a main character says, "thank you for assuring that it was not me," I was more upset by the misuse of 'assure' (surely that should be 'ensure'?) than said character's near-exsanguination. I went into Black Sun thinking it would be an unputdownable blood bath of an epic fantasy set in a novel world; I came out of it googling, 'Is 'waterier' a word?' (Apparently it is, but I still don't like it.) And also, 'How do you pronounce x ...more
Sofia
Nov 20, 2020 marked it as started-will-finish-eventually
I'm going to DNF this for now, because just the thought of picking it up again is sending me into a reading slump. Not another problem I need to add to my list of things gone wrong with Sofia's life in the year 2020, which is alarmingly long. So I'll add it to my "will-finish-eventually" shelf, whose title is just slang for "didn't read enough of this to rate it; I have no interest in finishing it but apparently it's good so I kind of have to." But that didn't fit.

I have absolutely nothing to s
Anna Luce
/ / / Read more reviews on my blog / / /

3 ¾ stars (rounded up)

“A smart Teek survives the storm, but a wise Teek avoids storms altogether.”

It took me awhile to warm up to Black Sun and during its first half I worried that I would find myself once again in the 'unpopular' opinion camp. As I'd read and liked Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning I was hoping that I would find Black Sun to be at least an entertaining read...but within the first 40% I found myself tempted to DNF it but I'm glad i

• A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Corduroy
  • The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Roomies
  • The Wife Stalker
  • Green Lantern: Legacy
  • Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)
  • Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
  • The Crown Jewels Boxed Set (Crown Jewels, #1-3)
  • A Solitude of Wolverines
  • Heart's Blood
Rebecca Roanhorse is a NYTimes Bestseller and a Nebula, Hugo and Locus Award-winning speculative fiction writer and the recipient of the 2018 Astounding (formerly Campbell) Award for Best New Writer.

Her novels include TRAIL OF LIGHTNING, STORM OF LOCUSTS, STAR WARS: RESISTANCE REBORN, and RACE TO THE SUN. Her upcoming novel BLACK SUN is set to release 10/13/2020.

She lives in Northern New Mexico w

Articles featuring this book

November is National Native American Heritage Month in the United States, and it's the perfect time to read a new book by an Indigenous writer....
“I am the only storm that matters now, and there is no shelter from what I bring.” 8 likes
“And Grandfather Crow said to First Woman, tell me your stories so that I might know who you are and what you value. If your stories are of the glory of war, I will know you value power. If your stories are of kinship, I know you value relationship. If your stories are of many children, I know you value legacy. But if your stories are of adaptation and survival, of long memory and revenge, then I will know you are a Crow like me.” 8 likes