Start by marking “Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

Legendborn

(Legendborn #1)

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  4,389 ratings  ·  1,427 reviews
Filled with mystery and an intriguingly rich magic system, Tracy Deonn’s YA contemporary fantasy Legendborn offers the dark allure of City of Bones with a modern-day twist on a classic legend and a lot of Southern Black Girl Magic.

After her mother dies in an accident, sixteen-year-old Bree Matthews wants nothing to do with her family memories or childhood home. A residenti
Published September 15th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Legendborn, please sign up.
Diya
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  4,389 ratings  ·  1,427 reviews

Start your review of Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
Miranda Reads
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owlcrate, hardcover
description

OHMYGOSH. Goodreads Choice Nominees are up and I just couldn't resist A Reaction Video ! Don't forget to vote!

Here's the original video review!

description

This month's October OwlCrate Unboxing and Review is up!

Really enjoyed this book - 4.5 stars all the way (check out the video for my full review!)
jenny✨
⚔️⚔️⚔️ 9/15/2020: THIS. BOOK. IS. OUT! ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Before we dive in, let me ask you this:

Did Clary ever have to think about the dangers of being picked up by police while at a party?

Would Jude ever have been questioned about the legitimacy of her presence at an Early College program?

When America was selected as Maxon’s queen (disclaimer: I’m just pulling this out of a hunch, I never got past book 1 lol), did his people ever hurl racial slurs at her?

Yeah, I didn't think so. The gutting (and grippi
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Some of my friends were saying that this is like The Mortal Instruments, and while I can kind of see what they mean, I also think that LEGENDBORN is a much better book. Clary and Jace were such immature little shits, whereas all of the characters in LEGENDBORN-- even if they aren't nice-- have nuance. Plus, the heroine, Bree, is just really fascinating. She is unlike a lot of heroines I've read in YA. She's allowed to have sexual agency.
Bookishrealm
Where should I even begin?!? Listen, I’m quite familiar with the legend of King Arthur but never in my life have I seen it done in this way. There is so much to unpack in this novel. The character development, the plot development, the spectacular writing, the university history woven into every single page, the connections I felt to the Black history discussed. Everything was done in such a fast paced and interesting manner that gave me such a connection to the story as a whole.

While this is be
The Artisan Geek
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
18/7/20
Still waiting for this beauty the drop! 😍

5/2/20
That cover is just TOO STUNNING!! Gosh, I love my people

27/11/19
'King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic.' This is the book I didn't realise I needed in my life. I mean, the VIBES I am getting from this premise:

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Marzuqa
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I did not expect this to be so intense and deep. This is such a robust and gripping modern day fantasy tale. So thoroughly entertaining. This author deserves a lot of acclaim for the complex and intricate world building alone. The unconventional perspective on fantasy was so refreshing.
I was honestly shaken multiple times through the book due to the plot twists and bombshells, which kept me riveted.
Can see this easily becoming a new favorite among fantasy lovers.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
October Owlcrate. Click on link under pic to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK:

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Lauren Lanz
Happy publication day to the wonderful Legendborn!! ❤️

This book was phenomenal!

Legendborn was everything I never knew I needed. My first time delving into Arthurian mythology. My first time experiencing magical secret societies. All things I’m eager to see more of in the future. This paired with the intricately planned plot made for a really wonderful story!

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

After the death of her mother, sixteen year old Bree is hoping to get as far from home as possible. So,
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars
[Buddy read with my bby Darceeeee !]

This is a novel of Arthurian legends retold & re-vamped, and amazing as hell Southern Black Girl Magic.
(It kinda gave off some hunger games vibes at times, or maybe more HP-ish ones, actually? Maybe. Maybe a mix of both ?
Or more The Mortal Instruments? 🤔
*thinking on it*)

Regardless, just trust me on THIS, guys ...
THIS LEFT ME STUNNED! Consider me officially SHOOK!
Legendborn seriously is such an EPIC READ; I could NOT tear myself away
Mika Auguste
maybe i’ll review this when i have actual clear thoughts to form words....but for now i’m just gonna settle with I NEED THE NEXT BOOK AND I NEED IT NOW
Lucie V.
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

DNF at 29%

I know that this is a very unpopular opinion as I saw and read so many 4 stars and 5 stars reviews. I wanted to like this book so much, but I just could not get into the story. This book has great potential and I understand why it is so popular, but sadly it was not for me.

The basic storyline of the book is quite easy to follow, but the Legendborn world? Not that easy…
Bree’s mother died three months ago. Now, Bree just left her home to start
Lia Carstairs
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for sharing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All quotes in this review are subject to change upon release date.

Hold up.
Did it seriously just end like that ?!?!?😤

It seems that I'm on a streak of cliffhangers and it's not fun.😢

But wow, Legendborn was an amazing Arthurian retelling. There's no doubt that I absolutely love the tv show, Merlin , and seeing that this book was based off of the legend......well, I just HAD
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
"It has:

👧🏾Black girl lead
✴️King Arthur
🙌🏽Black girl Wash Day
🌟Demons!
🏳️‍🌈⚔️Queer kids w/ magical weapons
✴️Secret society politics
❤️A love triangle"
- via author's Twitter

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
Nicole
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, ya
Legendborn was a pleasant surprise! It should get nominated for GR’s award of 2020’s best debut at the very least. It reimagines the Arthurian Legend in a completely new way. You see, the knights of the round table were stronger than your usual knight. They fought demons or rather “Shadowborns” and kept them at bay saving humans from them. Their descendants, the Legendborn, inherited their power and they’re still hunting demons centuries later.
Our main character, Bree, ends up getting involved
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default
Holy fuck this was absolutely amazing! I am in love with everything about this story and I CANNOT WAIT until the next one.
Ms. Woc Reader
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fantasy that truly stood out among the other releases this year. Who else is doing Knights of the Round Table meets Southern Gothic Black Girl Magic?

Bree Matthew's is still grieving her mother's death and getting accepted into UNC Chapel Hill's early college program seems like the distraction she needs. But was her mother's death actually an accident? Bree ends up stumbling upon a secret Arthurian society that may have the answer she seeks. After a strange encounter at a party. Bree e
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
just saying but this has a bi mc & also lesbian and nb rep, and f/f & m/m couples :>> arturiada is gay as fuck kids ...more
Rebecca Roanhorse
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This YA fantasy has been marketed as a reimagining of the Arthurian legend and it is that, but it is so much more. But before we get to the more, let's talk about 1) the YA and 2) the Arthur. The YA was pitch perfect. A new girl sucked into the mysteries of a secret society dealing with parents, school, best friend issues, and caught between two love interests. (I'll never tire of a well-done love triangle, esp ones with mystical complications that aren't as clear cut as they seem on the surface ...more
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
HOLY SHIT. THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING. one of the best books of the year hands down. That ending threw me for a loop let me tell you, DID NOT see it coming. so many thoughts but ultimately just two—I love the history and heritage that comes with this story and the honouring of Bree's ancestry through the worldbuilding and magic system and also how grief is represented in this book. and two, I LOVE SEL, lord protect him.
MissBecka Gee

This was everything I wanted and more!
Amazing world building, great storyline, and fun characters with well developed backgrounds are just some of what Tracy Deonn serves up here.
I am sooo on board for the next book!!!
Much love to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for my DRC.
Maria ☾ ⋆
Feb 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
WOW!! OKAYY! I THINK I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!! Merlin? And maybe a New fantasy Camelot adventure mixed with real life? What more can I ask for in this life? It's like a dream come true! I'm so Excited!!
Darce
Buddy read with my guardian angel, Ashley! Love you babe :))

Ahhh, this book was something else!
A knights-of-the-round-table, Arthurian legend retelling? Tick.
POC representation with little scenes talking about the everyday life of a Black woman? Tick.
LGBTQ+ rep with non-binary characters? Tick.
A story showing the struggles and victories of overcoming grief? Tick.
A dark and enigmatic character who's hot af, has tattoos, and is basically my one true love and new book boyfriend? Tick.
A strong and
Renaissance Kate
Jun 04, 2020 marked it as to-finish-later
Thank you to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for the ARC!! ...more
Chidimma Desiree
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IM SPEECHLESS NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE WAY I FELT WHILE READING THIS BOOK WOW JUST WOW
Azrah
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[This review can also be found on my BLOG]

**I was provided with an ARC through netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

CW: death of a parent, grief, mental illness, racism, physical and sexual abuse, mind manipulation, blood, violence, death

A mind-blowing debut and my favourite read of the year so far - trust me when I say you need this Urban Fantasy, Arthurian retelling in your life!!

Legendborn follows Bree Matthews, who after her mother’s death seizes the opportunity to escape her grief-st
nat
May 22, 2020 marked it as tbr-arc
me: black bi mc! secret society politics! demons! i need this book right now!
me: sees it's 513 pages
me: . . .
Anniek
This would be an AMAZING TV show, just saying
Oyinda
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @HEAROURVOICESTOURS FOR GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO READ THIS BOOK, AND BE A PART OF THE BOOK TOUR. I got my e-ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing via Netgalley.

I'd wanted to read this book since I saw it featured in a Netgalley article. It has SUCH a beautiful cover *BLACK GIRL MAGIC* and the story is everything! It's full of so many amazing elements. It's deeply emotional and touches on so many deeply triggering topics! I love the characterization, world
♡Jacqueline♡ beautyliterate
5/5 stars

Video Review: Coming Soon!!

I cannot believe this is Tracy Deonn's debut novel! The way she not only thought but executed such a unique well developed concept speaks volumes on her talents. While so many things I adored about this story including our vast cast of characters, the development of their relationships, and the plot that had me on the edge of my seat. I found other elements such as her magic system, plot twist (which was so well done it not only shocked me but made so much sen
Charlie Jane Anders
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing and exactly what I needed right now. Legendborn is a total triumph and a delight. And it contains so many of my favorite things (super minor and vague spoilers follow):

1) A hero who is tough and resolute and resourceful and lovable, but also stuck in the middle of a huge identity crisis and a mystery that turns out to reveal surprising truths about her own family.

2) A complex mythos that actually makes total sense and is super well-thought out. The worldbuilding in this
Challenge Corner: Legendborn by Tracy Deonn -> Starting September 27th, 2020 9 18 Oct 25, 2020 03:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: Assistance updating blurb 3 33 Jan 27, 2020 10:35AM
Final Round
5,599,913 Votes Cast

• Don't Ask Me Where I'm From
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Taking of Jake Livingston
  • A Curse of Ash and Embers (Tales of the Blackbone Witches, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • Sweet & Bitter Magic
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Music from Another World
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Facing the Sun
  • Everything I Thought I Knew
Tracy Deonn is a writer and 2nd gen fangirl. She grew up in North Carolina, where she devoured fantasy books and Southern food in equal measure. After earning two degrees from UNC-CH, Tracy worked in live theater, video games, and K-12 education. When she’s not writing, Tracy panels at SFF conventions, reads fanfic, arranges doggy playdates, and keeps an eye out for ginger-flavored everything.

Legendborn (2 books)
  • Untitled (Legendborn, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Chloe Gong has a lot going on. In addition to releasing her debut YA novel, These Violent Delights, in the midst of a pandemic, she's also...
“Don't make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.” 11 likes
“The most important thing you can do in this world, the most necessary thing, is to survive it. You can't do anything for anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first.” 8 likes