Start by marking “Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

Legendborn

(Legendborn #1)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  22,376 ratings  ·  5,901 reviews
After her mother dies in an accident, sixteen-year-old Bree Matthews wants nothing to do with her family memories or childhood home. A residential program for bright high schoolers at UNC–Chapel Hill seems like the perfect escape—until Bree witnesses a magical attack her very first night on campus.

A flying demon feeding on human energies.

A secret society of so called “Lege
Published September 15th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Legendborn, please sign up.
Patolemus
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leah Not that we know of at this point, but sexuality is fairly fluid in this book and many character are so it wouldn't surprise me if she was.…moreNot that we know of at this point, but sexuality is fairly fluid in this book and many character are so it wouldn't surprise me if she was.(less)

·  22,376 ratings  ·  5,901 reviews

Start your review of Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
chan ☆
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, ya-fantasy
the best book i've read in a really long time. 2020 was sort of a fail on all fronts for me, so finding such a good book so early in 2021 feels like a good omen.

PICK THIS UP!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This took me approximately a million years to listen to the audiobook, but that's not the book's fault that's just me being lazy. But this was such an interesting and layered fantasy story. It dealt with grief and trauma very well, in a way I'd never seen before. The world that was built up totally captivated me. Despite taking me a long time to read, I think that the pacing did seem consistent as there was pretty much constant action, even in moments of inaction. The start of a super cool serie ...more
jenny✨
⚔️⚔️⚔️ 9/15/2020: THIS. BOOK. IS. OUT! ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Before we dive in, let me ask you this:

Did Clary ever have to think about the dangers of being picked up by police while at a party?

Would Jude ever have been questioned about the legitimacy of her presence at an Early College program?

When America was selected as Maxon’s queen (disclaimer: I’m just pulling this out of a hunch, I never got past book 1 lol), did his people ever hurl racial slurs at her?

Yeah, I didn't think so. The gutting (and grippi
Miranda Reads
description

OHMYGOSH. Goodreads Choice Nominees are up and I just couldn't resist A Reaction Video ! Don't forget to vote!

Here's the original video review!

description

This month's October OwlCrate Unboxing and Review is up!

Really enjoyed this book - 4.5 stars all the way (check out the video for my full review!)

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Samantha
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2021
tw: death of a parent; generational trauma (depictions of slavery, abuse, rape); gore; possession; demons; racism and micro-aggressions

This was one of the most outstanding debuts I have ever read. I went into this book fairly blind but knowing it was getting some hype, and that is well worth it. Even during a reading slump, I was able to experience the majesty of this story. Deonn combines fantasy elements that I never would have considered going together masterfully, while also weaving those fa
Marzuqa
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I did not expect this to be so intense and deep. This is such a robust and gripping modern day fantasy tale. So thoroughly entertaining. This author deserves a lot of acclaim for the complex and intricate world building alone. The unconventional perspective on fantasy was so refreshing.
I was honestly shaken multiple times through the book due to the plot twists and bombshells, which kept me riveted.
Can see this easily becoming a new favorite among fantasy lovers.
Bookishrealm
Where should I even begin?!? Listen, I’m quite familiar with the legend of King Arthur but never in my life have I seen it done in this way. There is so much to unpack in this novel. The character development, the plot development, the spectacular writing, the university history woven into every single page, the connections I felt to the Black history discussed. Everything was done in such a fast paced and interesting manner that gave me such a connection to the story as a whole.

While this is be
krista ☽✧
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Don't make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.”

rating - 3.75 stars✨✨

Legend Born is the first book in a fantasy series that has come out last year by author Tracy Deonn. This book is definitely something else. It is a diverse urban fantasy story inspired by something I had 0 clue off Merlin and King Ar
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Some of my friends were saying that this is like The Mortal Instruments, and while I can kind of see what they mean, I also think that LEGENDBORN is a much better book. Clary and Jace were such immature little shits, whereas all of the characters in LEGENDBORN-- even if they aren't nice-- have nuance. Plus, the heroine, Bree, is just really fascinating. She is unlike a lot of heroines I've read in YA. She's allowed to have sexual agency.
Lucie V.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Simon & Schuster Canada). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

✅ Writting
✅ Main character
🆗 Plot
🆗❌ World-building (complex hierarchy)
❌ Info-dump

DNF at 29%

I know that this is a very unpopular opinion as I saw and read so many 4 stars and 5 stars reviews. I wanted to like this book so much, but I just could not get into the story. This book has great potential and I understand why it is so popular, but sadly it was not for me.

The basic storyli
Nicole
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, ya
Legendborn was a pleasant surprise! It should get nominated for GR’s award of 2020’s best debut at the very least. It reimagines the Arthurian Legend in a completely new way. You see, the knights of the round table were stronger than your usual knight. They fought demons or rather “Shadowborns” and kept them at bay saving humans from them. Their descendants, the Legendborn, inherited their power and they’re still hunting demons centuries later.
Our main character, Bree, ends up getting involved
Kevin (Irish Reader)
3.5 Stars

I really thought I was going to love this book more than I did, but unfortunately it was a little bit of a disappointment for me. Don’t get me wrong though, I still enjoyed it, but I was predicting a 5 star read!

The things I loved about this book was the characters, such as Bree (main character), as I really enjoyed how she dealt with her grief and how strong she was, as a character. I also really liked the romance! This book has a love triangle, which I usually don’t love that much, bu
E.H
“Don’t make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.”

Sixteen-year-old Bree Matthews is grieving for the loss of her mother, when she enrolls in a college program for intelligent high schoolers. On her first night on campus Bree witnesses a magical assault, causing her to question whether her mother’s death was in truth an accident. A failed attempt to erase her memory of this night causes Bree’s own unique magic and memories that have previously been altered with to become uncovered. Br
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars
[Buddy read with my bby Darceeeee !]

This is a novel of Arthurian legends retold & re-vamped, and amazing as hell Southern Black Girl Magic.
(It kinda gave off some hunger games vibes at times, or maybe more HP-ish ones, actually? Maybe. Maybe a mix of both ?
Or more The Mortal Instruments? 🤔
*thinking on it*)

Regardless, just trust me on THIS, guys ...
THIS LEFT ME STUNNED! Consider me officially SHOOK!
Legendborn seriously is such an EPIC READ; I could NOT tear myself away
Mika Auguste
maybe i’ll review this when i have actual clear thoughts to form words....but for now i’m just gonna settle with I NEED THE NEXT BOOK AND I NEED IT NOW
megs_bookrack
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hot dang!!! That's how you write a Fantasy!

Believe the hype. Legendborn is next level. I am so impressed with Tracy Deonn and cannot wait for the second book.

Go into this knowing as little as possible, just let the story wash over you. It's complex and layered. The characters are wonderful and the magic system is incredibly creative.

It's everything I look for in a modern urban fantasy!!!

The mystery of it kept me completely engaged. I couldn't put Legendborn down once I started.

With the heavy fan
Lauren Lanz
Happy publication day to the wonderful Legendborn!! ❤️

This book was phenomenal!

Legendborn was everything I never knew I needed. My first time delving into Arthurian mythology. My first time experiencing magical secret societies. All things I’m eager to see more of in the future. This paired with the intricately planned plot made for a really wonderful story!

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

After the death of her mother, sixteen year old Bree is hoping to get as far from home as possible. So,
Jessica
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MY MIND IS BLOWN RIGHT NOW.

Wow, this book. It does have a slow start and took me awhile to get used to the whole magic system and Arthurian legend background. Bree was kind of thrown into this world, so I did enjoy learning about everything with her, it just took me a long time to get who was who among the tons of characters and how their magic/hierarchy worked.

This book is so action-packed and the last 100 pages were ABSOLUTELY INSANE. I am still not sure what to think right now about what ha
Lia Carstairs
Many thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for sharing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All quotes in this review are subject to change upon release date.

Hold up.
Did it seriously just end like that ?!?!?😤

It seems that I'm on a streak of cliffhangers and it's not fun.😢

But wow, Legendborn was an amazing Arthurian retelling. There's no doubt that I absolutely love the tv show, Merlin , and seeing that this book was based off of the legend......well, I just HAD
Ms. Woc Reader
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fantasy that truly stood out among the other releases this year. Love it or hate it this book brought a different premise and I saw a lot of fanfare around it. It gave me a lot to think about and break down.

Bree Matthew's is still grieving her mother's death and getting accepted into UNC Chapel Hill's early college program seems like the distraction she needs. But was her mother's death actually an accident? Bree ends up stumbling upon a secret Arthurian society that may have the answ
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
"It has:

👧🏾Black girl lead
✴️King Arthur
🙌🏽Black girl Wash Day
🌟Demons!
🏳️‍🌈⚔️Queer kids w/ magical weapons
✴️Secret society politics
❤️A love triangle"
- via author's Twitter

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
❦ jazmin
“Love is a powerful thing, more powerful than blood, although both run through us like a river.”

This book was fantastic. It was wholly different than what I had expected based on the reviews I had read but in a good way. With characters that were easy to love, an amazingly intricate plot, and an ending that only left me wanting more, I can officially say that this book exceeded my expectations.

❦ Bree ❦
As usual characters first. I absolutely adored Bree and had a blast (and sometimes a
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Laura
Legendborn is a fantastic work of young adult fiction, and if you compare it to boring white stories, I will cut you (kidding - but you get my point).

CW : (view spoiler)

It's fresh, imaginative, fast-paced, it pictures one of
Rebecca Roanhorse
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This YA fantasy has been marketed as a reimagining of the Arthurian legend and it is that, but it is so much more. But before we get to the more, let's talk about 1) the YA and 2) the Arthur. The YA was pitch perfect. A new girl sucked into the mysteries of a secret society dealing with parents, school, best friend issues, and caught between two love interests. (I'll never tire of a well-done love triangle, esp ones with mystical complications that aren't as clear cut as they seem on the surface ...more
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default
Holy fuck this was absolutely amazing! I am in love with everything about this story and I CANNOT WAIT until the next one.
Maxwell
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, ya, black-authors
Legendborn tells the story of Bree, a sixteen year old Black girl who is starting an early college program at UNC Chapel Hill. Her mother died in a car crash a few months before and Bree is trying to cope with the grief left over in her mother's absence while also navigating young adulthood, school and a secret society on campus whose world she gets pulled into. Along the way she discovers more about her family history, her greater calling and herself.

In many ways Legendborn follows the tropes
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
HOLY SHIT. THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING. one of the best books of the year hands down. That ending threw me for a loop let me tell you, DID NOT see it coming. so many thoughts but ultimately just two—I love the history and heritage that comes with this story and the honouring of Bree's ancestry through the worldbuilding and magic system and also how grief is represented in this book. and two, I LOVE SEL, lord protect him. ...more
Mango
Mar 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Don't make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.”

This book was absolutely fantastic! Beautiful characters, and awesome plot, I really enjoyed it!

Before I get to the review, I would like to thank Aly for Buddy-Reading this with me. I really enjoyed screaming and ranting talking about it with you! Click here for her review!

Character(s): I loved the characters! I mean I didn't love all of them, I hated some of them completely. But that shows how well the author is developing th
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
just saying but this has a bi mc & also lesbian and nb rep, and f/f & m/m couples :>> arturiada is gay as fuck kids
Darce
Buddy read with my guardian angel, Ashley! Love you babe :))

Ahhh, this book was something else!
A knights-of-the-round-table, Arthurian legend retelling? Tick.
POC representation with little scenes talking about the everyday life of a Black woman? Tick.
LGBTQ+ rep with non-binary characters? Tick.
A story showing the struggles and victories of overcoming grief? Tick.
A dark and enigmatic character who's hot af, has tattoos, and is basically my one true love and new book boyfriend? Tick.
A strong and

• Don't Ask Me Where I'm From
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Taking of Jake Livingston
  • A Curse of Ash and Embers (Tales of the Blackbone Witches, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Music from Another World
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Facing the Sun
  • Everything I Thought I Knew
  • Night Owls and Summer Skies
  • A Pinch of Phoenix
Tracy Deonn is a writer and 2nd gen fangirl. She grew up in North Carolina, where she devoured fantasy books and Southern food in equal measure. After earning two degrees from UNC-CH, Tracy worked in live theater, video games, and K-12 education. When she’s not writing, Tracy panels at SFF conventions, reads fanfic, arranges doggy playdates, and keeps an eye out for ginger-flavored everything.

Legendborn (2 books)
  • Untitled (Legendborn, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Chloe Gong has a lot going on. In addition to releasing her debut YA novel, These Violent Delights, in the midst of a pandemic, she's also...
“Don't make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.” 89 likes
“The most important thing you can do in this world, the most necessary thing, is to survive it. You can't do anything for anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first.” 53 likes