Start by marking “Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

Legendborn

(Legendborn #1)

Filled with mystery and an intriguingly rich magic system, Tracy Deonn’s YA contemporary fantasy Legendborn offers the dark allure of City of Bones with a modern-day twist on a classic legend and a lot of Southern Black Girl Magic.

After her mother dies in an accident, sixteen-year-old Bree Matthews wants nothing to do with her family memories or childhood home. A residenti
Published September 15th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Legendborn, please sign up.
Carrie No. Without spoiling by adding names there are some queer characters in the supporting cast. There's also a wlw pairing and one mlm paring.
Carrie Suggested age 14 and up. Not much sexual content--lots of making out. It's tame. There are some intense fighting scenes and some gore and violence in …moreSuggested age 14 and up. Not much sexual content--lots of making out. It's tame. There are some intense fighting scenes and some gore and violence in battles towards the end.

Trigger Warnings include Death of a parent and traumatic grief/flashbacks, racist macro and microaggression. Read the full list of trigger warnings here: https://tracydeonn.com/contentwarnings(less)

Start your review of Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
jenny✨
⚔️⚔️⚔️ 9/15/2020: THIS. BOOK. IS. OUT! ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Before we dive in, let me ask you this:

Did Clary ever have to think about the dangers of being picked up by police while at a party?

Would Jude ever have been questioned about the legitimacy of her presence at an Early College program?

When America was selected as Maxon’s queen (disclaimer: I’m pulling this out of a hunch, I never actually got past book 1 lol), did his people ever hurl racial slurs at her?

Yeah, I didn't think so. The gutting (and gr
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Some of my friends were saying that this is like The Mortal Instruments, and while I can kind of see what they mean, I also think that LEGENDBORN is a much better book. Clary and Jace were such immature little shits, whereas all of the characters in LEGENDBORN-- even if they aren't nice-- have nuance. Plus, the heroine, Bree, is just really fascinating. She is unlike a lot of heroines I've read in YA. She's allowed to have sexual agency.
The Artisan Geek
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
18/7/20
Still waiting for this beauty the drop! 😍

5/2/20
That cover is just TOO STUNNING!! Gosh, I love my people

27/11/19
'King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic.' This is the book I didn't realise I needed in my life. I mean, the VIBES I am getting from this premise:

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Lauren Lanz
Happy publication day to the wonderful Legendborn!! ❤️

This book was phenomenal!

Legendborn was everything I never knew I needed. My first time delving into Arthurian mythology. My first time experiencing magical secret societies. All things I’m eager to see more of in the future. This paired with the intricately planned plot made for a really wonderful story!

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

After the death of her mother, sixteen year old Bree is hoping to get as far from home as possible. So,
Lia Carstairs
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for sharing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All quotes in this review are subject to change upon release date.

Hold up.
Did it seriously just end like that ?!?!?😤

It seems that I'm on a streak of cliffhangers and it's not fun.😢

But wow, Legendborn was an amazing Arthurian retelling. There's no doubt that I absolutely love the tv show, Merlin , and seeing that this book was based off of the legend......well, I just HAD
Ashley
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-sept
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars
[Buddy read with my bby Darceeeee !]

This is a novel of Arthurian legends retold & re-vamped, and amazing as hell Southern Black Girl Magic.
(It kinda gave off some hunger games vibes at times, or maybe more HP-ish ones, actually? Maybe. Maybe a mix of both ?
Or more The Mortal Instruments? 🤔
*thinking on it*)

Regardless, just trust me on THIS, guys ...
THIS LEFT ME STUNNED! It seriously is such an EPIC READ; I could NOT tear myself away from this story, except for when I ab
Mika Auguste
maybe i’ll review this when i have actual clear thoughts to form words....but for now i’m just gonna settle with I NEED THE NEXT BOOK AND I NEED IT NOW
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)

❤️A love triangle"
- via author's Twitter

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
just saying but this has a bi mc & also lesbian and nb rep, and f/f & m/m couples :>> arturiada is gay as fuck kids ...more
Maria ☾ ⋆
Feb 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
WOW!! OKAYY! I THINK I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!! Merlin? And maybe a New fantasy Camelot adventure mixed with real life? What more can I ask for in this life? It's like a dream come true! I'm so Excited!!
MissBecka

This was everything I wanted and more!
Amazing world building, great storyline, and fun characters with well developed backgrounds are just some of what Tracy Deonn serves up here.
I am sooo on board for the next book!!!
Much love to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for my DRC.
Renaissance Kate
Jun 04, 2020 is currently reading it
Thank you to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for the ARC!! ...more
faith ✨
May 22, 2020 marked it as tbr-arc
me: black bi mc! secret society politics! demons! i need this book right now!
me: sees it's 513 pages
me: . . .
Oyinda
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @HEAROURVOICESTOURS FOR GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO READ THIS BOOK, AND BE A PART OF THE BOOK TOUR. I got my e-ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing via Netgalley.

I'd wanted to read this book since I saw it featured in a Netgalley article. It has SUCH a beautiful cover *BLACK GIRL MAGIC* and the story is everything! It's full of so many amazing elements. It's deeply emotional and touches on so many deeply triggering topics! I love the characterization, world
♡Jacqueline♡ beautyliterate
5/5 stars

Video Review: Coming Soon!!

I cannot believe this is Tracy Deonn's debut novel! The way she not only thought but executed such a unique well developed concept speaks volumes on her talents. While so many things I adored about this story including our vast cast of characters, the development of their relationships, and the plot that had me on the edge of my seat. I found other elements such as her magic system, plot twist (which was so well done it not only shocked me but made so much sen
Lisa Maxwell
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super smart, fast-paced fantasy adventure with incredible world building. Loved it. Can’t wait for more from this new author.
Darce
Buddy read with my guardian angel, Ashley! Love you babe :))

Ahhh, this book was something else!
A knights-of-the-round-table, Arthurian legend retelling? Tick.
POC representation with little scenes talking about the everyday life of a Black woman? Tick.
LGBTQ+ rep with non-binary characters? Tick.
A story showing the struggles and victories of overcoming grief? Tick.
A dark and enigmatic character who's hot af, has tattoos, and is basically my one true love and new book boyfriend? Tick.
A strong and
Jules ✨

the author describes this as:
👧🏾Black girl lead
✴️King Arthur
🙌🏽Black girl Wash Day
🌟Demons!
🏳️‍🌈⚔️Queer kids w/ magical weapons
✴️Secret society politics
❤️A love triangle

I don't know about you, but i don't need to know anything else.
everbookish
I think a better rating would be 4.5

My Arthurian loving side is just so in love with this. I need, need, NEEEEED, a sequel to this
Charlie Anders
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing and exactly what I needed right now. Legendborn is a total triumph and a delight. And it contains so many of my favorite things (super minor and vague spoilers follow):

1) A hero who is tough and resolute and resourceful and lovable, but also stuck in the middle of a huge identity crisis and a mystery that turns out to reveal surprising truths about her own family.

2) A complex mythos that actually makes total sense and is super well-thought out. The worldbuilding in this
Joyce
Before I start my review, I would first love to shout out a huge THANK YOU to the publishing company, Simon & Schuster Canada and NetGalley for providing me with the E-arc for Legendborn by Tracy Deonn!
When I read the blurb, my initial reaction was “YES PLEASE!”. An Arthurian mythology retelling sounded sooo amazing. I knew this was going to be an action packed adventure and boy was this one. I am still shocked and surprised at how this is Tracy Deonn’s debut novel! (soo please go support her a
Ms. Woc Reader
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fantasy that truly stood out among the other releases this year. Who else is doing Knights of the Round Table meets Southern Gothic Black Girl Magic?

Bree Matthew's is still grieving her mother's death and getting accepted into UNC Chapel Hill's early college program seems like the distraction she needs. But was her mother's death actually an accident? Bree ends up stumbling upon a secret Arthurian society that may have the answer she seeks. After a strange encounter at a party. Bree e
michelle (magical reads)
read on my blog + see some hand-lettered quotes

rep: ownvoices Black protagonist, bisexual main character, lesbian Taiwanese-American side character, gay side character, nonbinary side character, bisexual side character, wlw side character
cw: death of a parent (mother), racism, mentions of child abuse, on-page rape (not explicit/graphic)

**I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

The first time I saw
R.J.
Jun 28, 2020 added it
I devoured this e-ARC practically in one sitting, and it’s not a short book! But I was so caught up in the story and so invested in the characters I didn’t want to put it down.

With strong, supple prose, rich worldbuilding rooted in Welsh legend, American history and African spirituality, compelling characters, high emotional stakes, gripping action, and some truly shriek-worthy twists, LEGENDBORN is one of the most absorbing YA fantasies I’ve read in years. But it’s also a thoughtful and thought
Nikki S
May 03, 2018 marked it as aside-for-now
11/27/2018:
"Pitched as a modern-day King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic..."

SAY WHAT NOW?! HERE JUST TAKE MY MONEY

2/13/2020:

Somehow I missed that there was a cover and its giving me all the Black Girl Magic Vibes!!!!! I need this YESTERDAY!
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Legends are dangerous, Bree. Don’t underestimate them.”

I really enjoyed this book and would love for it to be a movie!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book is part murder mystery, part dark academia, part secret societies, part contemporary fantasy, part romance, part demon hunting, and completely unputdownable!!!

What are some things I loved about this?
For starters it is full of Black girl magic. There are multiple unique magic system
rachel ☾
someone said this world is 'arthurian mortal instruments'. how could i say no to that.....

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Steff Pasciuti
| Read on Reader Fox |

To be able to trace one's family back that far is something I have never fathomed. My family only knows back to the generation after Emancipation.

It is truly impossible to look at Tracy Deonn's Legendborn in a way that does not elucidate race and generational trauma in an incredibly unique way. The depths to which this story demonstrates these concepts it masterful in its own right. There is so much nuance to this fantastic retelling of Arthurian lore that you can't he
Dahlia
Aug 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Uhhhh WOW that was good. Honestly I was not smart enough for all of it (my Arthuriana knowledge is wildly unimpressive) but yes okay I see why everyone is raving about this book and I am gonna be doing that for a while too. Whew. It's just so smart and nuanced and well paced and action-packed and then it's like BY THE WAY let's turn this on its head completely and well, hot damn, that is an ending. Waiting for book 2 is gonna be murder. (BUT DO NOT DO THE THING WHERE YOU WAIT FOR BOOK 2 BEFORE Y ...more
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
If you're gonna compare a book to any Shadowhunter novel (AND have a poc as an mc), you best believe I'm gonna add it to my TBR
Tracy Deonn is a writer and 2nd gen fangirl. She grew up in North Carolina, where she devoured fantasy books and Southern food in equal measure. After earning two degrees from UNC-CH, Tracy worked in live theater, video games, and K-12 education. When she’s not writing, Tracy panels at SFF conventions, reads fanfic, arranges doggy playdates, and keeps an eye out for ginger-flavored everything.

• The Black Kids
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • Now That I've Found You
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Furia
  • Among the Beasts & Briars
  • Charming as a Verb
  • Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)
  • Grown
  • Don't Ask Me Where I'm From
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Lobizona (Wolves of No World, #1)
  • A Deadly Education (Scholomance, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Jake in the Box
  • Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
  • Punching the Air

Articles featuring this book

In Alyssa Cole’s unnerving social thriller When No One is Watching, Sydney Green returns to Brooklyn after a traumatic breakup to find...