Start by marking “These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)

These Violent Delights

(These Violent Delights #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  7,056 ratings  ·  2,256 reviews
The year is 1926, and Shanghai hums to the tune of debauchery.

A blood feud between two gangs runs the streets red, leaving the city helpless in the grip of chaos. At the heart of it all is eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai, a former flapper who has returned to assume her role as the proud heir of the Scarlet Gang—a network of criminals far above the law. Their only rivals in
Published November 17th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about These Violent Delights, please sign up.
Chloe Gong Someone directed me over here to answer (I don't usually see Goodreads questions, any other ones should be sent direct to me) but yes, I do have one! …moreSomeone directed me over here to answer (I don't usually see Goodreads questions, any other ones should be sent direct to me) but yes, I do have one! Roma is masculine in Slavic cultures, you might referring to different cultures. It's a diminutive for Roman, which is indeed a very Russian name. Hope that helps!(less)
Chloe Gong I've seen some confusion floating around about this so I figured I'd hop on and clarify - Roma and Juliette are m/f! Of course, there's certainly on-p…moreI've seen some confusion floating around about this so I figured I'd hop on and clarify - Roma and Juliette are m/f! Of course, there's certainly on-page LGBTQ+ rep for other main characters in the book.(less)
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2020
782 books — 2,815 voters
All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceThese Violent Delights by Chloe GongAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben  Oliver
YA Debuts 2020
149 books — 537 voters

More lists with this book...

·  7,056 ratings  ·  2,256 reviews

Start your review of These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
Chloe Gong
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to begin this note with a quip about giving the book 5 stars, but the truth is, if I hadn’t poured all my heart and blood into it, then I wouldn’t have put it forward for publication. And since I have put it forward, then that means I believe in this book with everything I have, and I’m honored to be able to share These Violent Delights with you all.

Goodreads is a space for readers, not authors, so I’m only here to drop this note and then skedaddle. If you’d like me to share or read yo
chai ♡
me: now that I am done with finals, I just want to relax and nestle into the soothing embrace of a good book

also me: *picks up this Romeo and Juliet retelling set in 1920s gangster-run Shanghai about star-crossed exes putting aside the blood feud between them to prevent a monster from terrorizing their city that everyone tells me it's guaranteed to break my heart*
Melanie

OwlCrate's December 2020 Box : My Rep Code: MEL10 ❤️
Fairyloot's November 2020 Box: My Rep Code: MELANIE5 ❤️

✨ Reviews you should check out: Xiran's, Lili's, CW's

"Anyone can be the master to a monster should their heart be wicked enough."

These Violent Delights is an ownvoices story starring a Chinese heiress who recently moved back to Shanghai and is willing to do anything to prove to her father that she is ready to rule the Scarlet Gang. But in 1920s Shanghai,
Joel Rochester
THAT ENDING THOUGH!!!!
One of the best YA books of this year. Completely amazing, I love it sm.
Robin
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
↠ 5 stars

You had me at Romeo and Juliet retelling set in 1920's Shanghai. In this wondrous debut from author Chloe Gong, Shakespeare meets a new decade, one with rivaling gangs and a river monster tormenting the citizens. The blood feud between the White Flowers and the Scarlet Gang is one that has transformed the city. Alliances have been drawn and no one can stand the middle ground. Enter the once-lovers, Juliette and Roma, separated by their families and a long ago betrayal. They must set asi
may ➹
— find this review and others on my blog!

Backdropped by 1926 Shanghai humming with life and debauchery, These Violent Delights follows Juliette Cai, heir to the Scarlet Gang, who watches angrily as her city falls further into the clutches of white foreigners. Equally as worrying as the threat of colonialism is the sudden appearance of a monster that causes people to tear out their own throats. The only way Juliette can defeat the monster and save her people is to work with Roma Montagov, heir to
jessica
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
if i could sum up the story of roma and juliette, it would be this quote by toni morrison:
‘we mistook violence for passion… and thought recklessness was freedom.’
the ruthless gangs, the rekindling of a first love after betrayal, the haunting of a monster and madness, and the dramatic ploys of various nationalities trying to gain control of shanghai, this story delivers on so many fronts.

i could most definitely see how this follows the tale of romeo and juliet, but at the same time, it feel
Marzuqa
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Here it is, my love of 2020! I wasn’t just immersed in this book, I was drowned in it. It’s the kind of book you wish you could read for the first time, again and again.
This was such a captivating mix of fantasy, romance, horror and mystery (basically all the things I love) packaged into this neat story that I just could not put down.
The characters were all so admirable and I loved how the story played out. It wouldn’t be an overstatement to call this work flawless.
Waiting for the sequel is go
Miranda Reads
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: grchoice_round1
description

Just posted my Dec 2020 OwCrate Unboxing and Review Video !!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
She-who-must-not-be-named
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Romeo and Juliet retelling coupled with a historical screenplay of Shanghai torn by two rival Gangs (Scarlet gang and the White Flower gang) the Communists, and other foreigners fighting for power, These Violent Delights is, without an ounce of doubt, a debut of immense talent.

The crux of the story

Scarlet Gang is in charge of Shanghai and is the most powerful of all gangs in Shanghai. Juliette Cai , heiress of the Scarlet Gang ruled by the ruthless Lord Cai, has returned from America and i
Lia Carstairs
Eternally grateful to Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!!! <3

What.
Was.
That?!?!

Seriously.
What the hell was that cliffhanger?!?!😰
All that work and then that happens??? omgomgomg😓

Chloe Gong really knows how to deliver an ending. I just love how she ends the book in the middle of a climax?!?! (She even added the "To be continued" at the end as if knowing that her readers would be begging for more aghhhh and I unknowingly fell into the trap)

I co
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
As someone who is not a fan of the original Romeo and Juliet (sorry), I really enjoyed this. This book is one of the best books I’ve read in 2020. It definitely could be one of the best books I’ve read in my entire life.

We are introduced to Juliette Cai, one of the main characters. She is the heiress of the Scarlet Gang and has just come back from New York City after finishing her education. She and most characters in this book are polyglots. She can speak Mandarin (and its other dialects), Russ
emma
Jun 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
so this author is a junior in college...this is blatantly against one of my major life policies (pretending that anyone younger than me is not cooler than me)

but this book sounds so good i might have to break the rules 😎
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Got the same book in our December Owlcrate. I love the FairyLoot edition more but I do love the art under dust jacket and the embossing on cover. Click link under pic to see the goodies. FYI: We are getting the same books from both again in January and it’s a book I want!

GOODIES LINK:

November FairyLoot Unboxing. The book cover and the bookmarks are stunning! Click on link under pick to see the Goodies!

GOODIES LINK:
Angelica
May 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
This author is still an undergrad in college...
what have I been doing with my life??????
Umairah | Sereadipity
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
BREAKING NEWS! Recently, sobs of anguish have been issuing from Shakespeare's grave at random hours of the day. There is much speculation over the cause but I'll let you in on a secret: Shakespeare's ghost is weeping on the other side because finally, after all these years, he's been outdone. Who by? Chloe Gong and her painfully beautiful debut, These Violent Delights.

Content Warnings: Blood, violence, gore, character deaths, explicit description of gouging self (not of their own volition), murd
Phuong ✯

First of all I want to say that I think it's unfair that this book is in the GCA Semifinals in Young Adult Fantasy when it hasn't even released yet. GR messing up these awards every year is nothing new, but it still bugs me. A book that has been released for months now, should be able to have that spot. I would have said this regardless if I liked These Violent Delights or not, I just think other books that have already been released may deserve the exposure more.

Edit: Not surprise th
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 5/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: I had some pretty high expectations for this book, but I never expected it to fly above all of them.

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Assault, Gun Violence, Torture, Suicide, (Drug) Addiction (Mention), Child Abuse, Murder,
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Full review now on my book blog, The Quiet Pond.

oh................... OH SHIT

if this isn't the next big YA, then i WILL riot. this book was PHENOMENAL.

i was provided an ARC by the author. this does not affect my opinion in any way.
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
(I put it back on my PTBR because seeing 4 books on my currently reading actually stressed me out so I will continue this after I have sobbed over The Dragon Republic and I can devote my attention to it)

shhhhh.... it's happening... i'm finally reading my most anticipated book of the year 🥺

i'm reading 3 other books right now but who cares

---------------
12/07/20: Two days ago we were only 5 people in line (I’m 3rd) for this book in my library and now there are 17 people waiting, that’s so wild...
Sara
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These Violent Delights is the perfect title for this book, it is very violent at times, but what a delight it is to read!

Shakespeare re-tellings have, in my experience, gone one of two ways and i'm always wary when i start a new one. I needn't have worried with TVD as it feels vibrant and charmingly modern despite being set in the 1920s.
1920's Shanghai is not a time period I had read about before but I was completely enamored with the setting. It felt incredibly glamorous and dangerous in equa
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
i refuse to form a single coherent thought about this book in present moment. Please respect my privacy in my time of healing.
Emma
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

Full review HERE

This book is a very solid debut novel and I'm so glad I got the chance to read it! It's a Romeo and Juliet retelling set in Shanghai in the 1920s and guys believe me when I say it was everything and more.

The story is a fantasy infused with politics. It is set in the world of gangsters where constant fear, backstabbing, and retaliation are a daily occurrence. Nobody is safe and peop
Xiran Zhao
juliette cai cosplay
juliette cai cosplay

Personal Rating: Juliette Cai could backhand me right into the Huangpu River, and I’d thank her
Reasons to Read: The richly realized world of 1920s Shanghai, the poetry-like prose, the tense mystery, the meticulously developed characters, the delicious and scathing discourse against colonialism, the doomed LOOOONGING between Roma and Juliette

So this is one of those books that makes me angry. Angry because I cannot BELIEVE I never knew the extent of how interesting the situation in 1920s Shanghai
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I want to make out with this cover.

Also, this sounds AMAZING.
Adela
woah, that was mind-blowing. i came in with high expectations and i was not disappointed.

why did i like this so much? well, chloe gong was able to craft a story with an amazing plot, villains, romance, great side-characters, and awesome protagonists. that's a lot of work for one book.

if you're planning on reading this, then read it! it's so worth it.

- characters -

juliette - she was a great protagonist but her coldness got on my nerves a bit. she was rude in situations where it wouldn't cost h
lily ☁️
This book was sitting in my mailbox for almost two months, before I finally read it … I was still not ready to have my feelings end up this way—lying dead in a ditch somewhere in Shanghai, having clawed their throats out with their bare hands after a softly whispered tǎ mǎ dé, carried away into nothingness.

(No one talk to me about being named in the acknowledgments, unless you want to make me sob.)

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Roaring 20s but forget New York and make it Shanghai 👀 I see what’s going on here and I approve
Miranda
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I preordered this book simply because people seemed to be enjoying. I really did not know too much about it other than the fact it is a Romeo and Juliet retelling set in 1920s Shanghai with rival gangs. That is really all I needed to know.

Chloe Gong’s These Violent Delights follows two rival gangs - the Scarlet Gang and the White Flowers - in 1926 Shanghai as they are forced to navigate their blood feud amid an outbreak of “madness” or a contagion as well as rumors of a monster. The story center
Kirsty Hendry
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a copy of These Violent Delights in exchange for an honest review.

In Shanghai, in 1926, a blood feud that has been ongoing for years continues.

Tensions between the Scarlet and White Flower gangs is constant, causing casualties on both sides.

4 years earlier heir to the Scarlet gang, Juliette Cai and the White Flower heir Roma Montagov saw past the blood feud and fell in love. That is, until he betrayed her.

After some time away, Juliette has returned to S

• Fence: Striking Distance
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Drowning Faith (The Poppy War, #2.5)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • And Now She's Gone
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Weather
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Truth Project
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop
  • The Sound of Stars
  • The Golden State
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
Chloe Gong is an undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania, studying English and International Relations. During her breaks, she’s either at home in New Zealand or visiting her many relatives in Shanghai. Chloe has been known to mysteriously appear by chanting “Romeo and Juliet is one of Shakespeare’s best plays and doesn’t deserve its slander in pop culture” into a mirror three times. You c ...more

These Violent Delights (2 books)
  • Our Violent Ends (These Violent Delights, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Chloe Gong has a lot going on. In addition to releasing her debut YA novel, These Violent Delights, in the midst of a pandemic, she's also...
“The stars incline us, they do not bind us.” 25 likes
“Memories were beastly little creatures, after all—they rose with the faintest whiff of nourishment.” 12 likes