Start by marking “Lies Like Poison” as Want to Read:
Lies Like Poison

Lies Like Poison

Poppy, Lily, and Belladonna would do anything to protect their best friend, Raven. So when they discovered he was suffering abuse at the hands of his stepmother, they came up with a lethal plan: petals of poppy, belladonna, and lily in her evening tea so she’d never be able to hurt Raven again. But someone got cold feet, the plot faded to a secret of the past, and the grou ...more
Published November 10th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Start your review of Lies Like Poison
Tomoe Hotaru
29 Nov. '20
Spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.

A quick read with easy prose. Excellent blurb. Made the book sound 100% much more intriguing than it actually was. Sadly the plot itself was weak and hinged upon many conveniences designed specifically by the author:

(1) The most useless police force in town
From the unsolved robbery of Raven's biological mother, to the now murder of his step-mother. The police have been a negligible force, entering the story only when the plot requires it to be rel
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
This sounds like everything I want

Ahhhhhh
Angela Staudt
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I really enjoyed this book much more than I was expecting. I loved how it was based around this mystery of who murdered someone, but also about four queer best friends who would do absolutely anything for each other. We have Belladonna, Poppy (Jack), Lily, and Raven who we get a perspective of and for the first half of this book they are completely unreliable characters. So, you don’t know who to believe and who is actual
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Another book tour book. Review coming soon.
Sasha Zatz
Like Like Poison was a twisted contemporary fairytale with exciting twists and centring around the friendship between four kids who would do anything for each other.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, it was an exciting thriller with four queer main characters, a m/m and f/f romance and discussing abuse, trauma and other topics. It was full of exciting reveals, morally grey characters and most importantly queer found family!!
The first two thirds of Lies Like Poison, were a little messy. The pac
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
DNF

I don’t know what LIES LIKE POISON was pretending to be, but it missed the mark by a long shot for me. Chelsea Pitcher’s blurbs always sound more interesting than my enjoyment of them.
여리고
Dec 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned, 2020-releases
Continue to grace us with this kind of stories, Ms. Pitcher! <3 ...more
The Clever Reader
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rounded to 4 Stars

Four friends, one person dead, and a recipe of murder. Chelsea Pitcher’s new YA Mystery Lies Like Poison will keep you on your toes.

This mystery is told in 4 POV’s. When Poppy, Belladonna, Raven, and Lily plan the murder of Raven’s step-mother three years earlier they’d never thought it’d actually happen. So much has changed in three years and now all of them are suspect.

The pacing was a little slower than I was anticipating and the plot was confusing for the first half of
Karen Barber
What a tangled web of lies and deceit these pages revealed...thank you to the publishers, Simon Schuster, and NetGalley for letting me read this prior to publication.
Poppy, Lily and Belladonna are our focus for this story and everything hinges on their relationship to Raven, their best friend. It isn’t immediately clear how this group formed or the reason for the dynamics between them - but we know they have a shared history, and would do anything to protect each other.
Our story opens with a bod
Evidently Bookish
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap-rep
provisional rating: 3.5 stars? might change to 4 after some contemplation. loved the queer rep ofc but the plot wasn't the strongest, a bit predictable for my tastes. the writing is gorgeous at times - crushingly poignant - but the characterisations fall flat for the majority of the book. full review to come.
Chloe⛅
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-an-arc-of
Triggers: loss of a parent, mention of neglect, abuse, mentions of self harm and wanting to commit suicide, inpatient treatment, substance abuse, being kicked out for being gay

“The wickedest monsters know better than to leave footprints”

Okay I definitely wasn’t planning on reading this book all in one go but I could not put it down, I was intrigued from the start and just had to know what happened and I’m glad I did because I really enjoyed it.

I thought the characters were so complex and interes
~Madison
Oct 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
one of the worst books I have ever read :/
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
[ARC Provided by NetGalley, my review is unbiased]
Wordpress Blog | Twitter | Pinterest

📗 I was expecting this story to be much like the many other murder mystery books I've read, with contemporary characters and high school secrets. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this this is actually a dark, gothic story about two boys, two girls, obsession and family secrets.

📘 I really liked the LGBT rep in this story, with queer and transgender characters represented extremely well. This is as much a st
Brianna:)
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sending me an ARC!
I’ve read very few murder mystery books, despite having a decent amount on my TBR. “Lies Like Poison” was fantastic! I enjoyed how the author used flashbacks as a way of displaying the characters’ relationships. Lilly, Belle, and Jack each had their own reasons for wanting to murder Raven’s grandmother and it gave depth to the story.
My favorite character was probably Poppy, who goes by Jack and uses female pronouns. She was quirky but
Bex
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was really excited to read this book, having read Chelsea Pitcher's previous mystery novel. She has an amazing ability to come up with fascinating plots built around great concepts, and this is really indicative of that.

Lies Like Poison follows four... acquaintances, who's relationships are really too complicated to be called friends! There's Raven, the prince in need of saving; Belladonna, the wild and unruly witch; Lily, the princess who's own need for saving goes overlook; and Jack (or Popp
Mridu  aka Storypals
THIS WAS GOOD.

Let me write a better review, give me time because at the moment i just cannot type :(
Lucsbooks
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Lies Like Poison" reminded me of a mix of a Sherlock Holmes short story I read a while back and The Haunting of Hill House only YA and much, much, much gayer.
At one point I hated and distrusted every single one of these characters and I mean that in the best way possible. The way the Chelsea Pitcher was able to create believable relationships between people that had reasons not to trust each other, hurt each other, and had to pick and choose who to save, who to lie to, who to trust was a deligh
Lu
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. Thank you, Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing and Margaret K. McElderry Books, for the chance to read Lies like Poison.

TW; abusive relationships, beating, anorexia, suicidal thoughts

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Poppy, Lily and Belladonna are ready to do anything to protect their friend, (in Lily's case, stepbrother= from Evelyn, his stepmother, who is abusing and torturing him. So they came up with a plan: petals of lily, poppy
Lauren
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle William Urban
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of them YA books that has you guessing who did it, while trying to pin it on everyone else.

There's LGBT+ themes throughout which I think is well-written.

The plot was full of twists and turns, it will hopefully keep people guessing throughout.

It was a fairly quick and easy read for me, and I did enjoy it. This would be a good read for someone who wants an read to help them from a slump.
Kathy
Sep 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
It took three months to receive but I understand the circumstances. Quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. It was supposed to be for young adults, 14 and over. The story was way too weird for any age group. It was a murder mystery. By the time I finished, I couldn't care less who did it. The characters were hidious. I hated everyone in this book. I won't even pass it along to others. Maybe just put it in a Little Library.
Bradley (AudioShelf)
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would give this book a solid 3.5 ⭐️, rounded up

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and author for an upcoming tour with Pride Tours. Got it for free in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this queer, found-family story. I loved the representation of the LGBTQ+ community. And the topics were handled very delicately and well done. I applaud Chelsea Pitcher for respecting the LGBTQ+ culture and doing her characters justice.

The story is about three teens who come up wit
Ariel
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, blog-tour, arcs, ya
This book was dark, and gritty, and had me hooked from the beginning. Between the lies and the secrets and the shady characters, I wasn't sure who to believe or where to look. It was captivating and revealing in so many ways.

I think what I loved most about this book was how guilty each character seemed. Each of them did have secrets they were holding onto, things they had done wrong in their lives, but finding the big secret, who killed Evelyn, was the hard part. Pitcher masked the true story of
Rajiv
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

What a creative YA mystery this turned out to be!

Firstly, I enjoyed the four main characters. While Jack steals the show, I also liked Belle, Raven, and Lily. Each of them is unique in their manner. The author wonderfully highlighted the LGBT theme with queer and transgender people. It was interesting to see the characters develop over the mystery plot. Initially, it took a while for me to learn the gender role because of th
El Hyrst
Full review available October 19th: https://inkandplasma.com/2020/10/19/l...

Trigger warnings: murder, child abuse, neglect, psychological torture, disordered eating, diet control, inpatient treatment, substance abuse, mentions of self harm and suicidal ideation, grief.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for the eARC of this book, it has not affected my honest review.

The beginning of this book wasn't the best, I found it to be a bit confusing in some places and it had a confusing habit of leaping around f
Paige Green
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this e-arc from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Lies Like Poison

Author: Chelsea Pitcher

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 3/5

Diversity: LGBT+ rep, transgender characters

Recommended For...: mystery lovers, thrill seekers, LGBT+ rep!

Publication Date: November 10, 2020

Genre: YA Mystery

Recommended Age: can’t recommend, dnf-ed

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books

Pages: 304

Synopsis: Poppy, Lily, and Belladonna would do anything to protect their best friend, Rav
Brittany Zimmerman
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Children’s for this ARC. All opinions are my own.
Actual rating: 3.5/5
I love a good thriller, and this one was decent. I loved the idea of this story. In parts, it was just confusing. There were a lot of characters thrown out at one time. While I really enjoyed the four main characters of Belle, Lily, Jack and Raven, when their parents entered the mix it was a little hard to keep them all straight. The evolution of the characters was beautifully done thou
Alicia Verstraeten
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Great story, little cheesy ending which made me give it 3 stars, it does have a great plottwist near the end that made my jaw drop because I didn't see that one coming 😅
Dawn Ferencz
I liked the LGBTQ representation and the development of the mystery, but the varied forms of abuse and truly terrible adults was a lot for me. I do think the Riverdale comparison is a good one.
Shelby Elenburg
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received an advanced reader’s copy as part of a Goodreads Giveaway. I devoured it in one day. It reminded me of fairy tales (more Grimm’s than Disney) meets Pretty Little Liars. A well-woven story with plenty of twists. I was impressed with some subtleties in the language that helped with the identity aspect of the story, as well as the planting of seeds that led me to figure out some aspects of the mystery, but then also led me to doubt what I was sure I already knew. A well-written mystery wil ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Five Little Liars
  • Good Girls Die First
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • I Hope You're Listening
  • The Forest of Stars
  • Eight Will Fall
  • How It All Blew Up
  • Even If We Break
  • The Cousins
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • A Bowl Full of Peace: A True Story
  • Tiny Travelers China (Treasure Quest)
  • Porcupette Finds a Family
  • Dear Girl
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Charming Falls Apart
Chelsea Pitcher is a karaoke-singing, ocean-worshipping Oregonian with a penchant for twisty mysteries. She is the author of THE S-WORD, THE LAST CHANGELING & THE LAST FAERIE QUEEN.

Watch for her new YA thriller, THIS LIE WILL KILL YOU, coming December 11, 2018 from S&S/McElderry!

Agent: Mandy Hubbard