Start by marking “Lies Like Poison” as Want to Read:
Lies Like Poison

Lies Like Poison

Poppy, Lily, and Belladonna would do anything to protect their best friend, Raven. So when they discovered he was suffering abuse at the hands of his stepmother, they came up with a lethal plan: petals of poppy, belladonna, and lily in her evening tea so she’d never be able to hurt Raven again. But someone got cold feet, the plot faded to a secret of the past, and the grou ...more
Published November 10th 2020 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 3rd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Lies Like Poison, please sign up.
Megan I was just about to ask the same question. No, I have not received either, but it's nice to know it's not just me.…moreI was just about to ask the same question. No, I have not received either, but it's nice to know it's not just me.(less)

Start your review of Lies Like Poison
Tomoe Hotaru
29 Nov. '20
Spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.

A quick read with easy prose. Excellent blurb. Made the book sound 100% much more intriguing than it actually was. Sadly the plot itself was weak and hinged upon many conveniences designed specifically by the author:

(1) The most useless police force in town
From the unsolved robbery of Raven's biological mother, to the now murder of his step-mother. The police have been a negligible force, entering the story only when the plot requires it to be rel
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
This sounds like everything I want

Ahhhhhh
Angela Staudt
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I really enjoyed this book much more than I was expecting. I loved how it was based around this mystery of who murdered someone, but also about four queer best friends who would do absolutely anything for each other. We have Belladonna, Poppy (Jack), Lily, and Raven who we get a perspective of and for the first half of this book they are completely unreliable characters. So, you don’t know who to believe and who is actual
Sasha Zatz
Like Like Poison was a twisted contemporary fairytale with exciting twists and centring around the friendship between four kids who would do anything for each other.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, it was an exciting thriller with four queer main characters, a m/m and f/f romance and discussing abuse, trauma and other topics. It was full of exciting reveals, morally grey characters and most importantly queer found family!!
The first two thirds of Lies Like Poison, were a little messy. The pac
Jenn
This book had all the makings of a great book - childhood friends, a murder, and a mystery. But sadly, it just all fell flat to me. I couldn't relate to any of the characters and everything just felt over dramatic and forced.

The story follows 4 childhood friends: Poppy, Lily, Belladonna and Raven. But while they all felt like they were the best of friends, it turns out there were secrets upon secrets that only carried over into their present day lives. And when Raven's stepmother ends up dead,
~Madison
Oct 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
one of the worst books I have ever read :/
Yna the Mood Reader
“The wickedest monsters know better than to leave footprints.”

~ Full review to come. ~

🌼 Book Cover:⭐⭐⭐⭐☆

☁FINAL VERDICT: 2.45/5 ☁
Kathy
Sep 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
It took three months to receive but I understand the circumstances. Quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. It was supposed to be for young adults, 14 and over. The story was way too weird for any age group. It was a murder mystery. By the time I finished, I couldn't care less who did it. The characters were hidious. I hated everyone in this book. I won't even pass it along to others. Maybe just put it in a Little Library. ...more
 Leah
❐ Overall Rating 2 | Narration 5
❐ YA Mystery
❐ LGBTQIA

How can a book have such wonderfully atmospheric narration and rate so low with me.??? Good question. I wanted to like this and I really tried to do so but it missed the mark for me, story-wise. I really found most of the story to be rather unbelievable and very reminiscent of the show Riverdale...basically a hot mess.

❐ Libby Listen through my Library
❐ Length ➯ 7H 54M
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
DNF

I don’t know what LIES LIKE POISON was pretending to be, but it missed the mark by a long shot for me. Chelsea Pitcher’s blurbs always sound more interesting than my enjoyment of them.
Paula  Phillips
Dec 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Years ago there were three best friends and a stepsister - Poppy, Raven, Belladonna, and Lily. Poppy and Bella both cared deeply for their friend Raven and then when tragedy struck and he lost his mother, they thought he would be happy - that was until he got an evil stepmother Evelyn and then a stepsister Lily. The stepsister was a little odd but not as bad as Raven's stepmother whom Poppy and Bella were convinced she was abusing and trying to get Raven to kill himself. During this time, the th ...more
여리고
Dec 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned, 2020-releases
Continue to grace us with this kind of stories, Ms. Pitcher! <3
Maria
Dec 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 60%.
Not really bad, but I really don't care at all 😅
Sarah {The Clever Reader}
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rounded to 4 Stars

Four friends, one person dead, and a recipe of murder. Chelsea Pitcher’s new YA Mystery Lies Like Poison will keep you on your toes.

This mystery is told in 4 POV’s. When Poppy, Belladonna, Raven, and Lily plan the murder of Raven’s step-mother three years earlier they’d never thought it’d actually happen. So much has changed in three years and now all of them are suspect.

The pacing was a little slower than I was anticipating and the plot was confusing for the first half of
Karen Barber
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What a tangled web of lies and deceit these pages revealed...thank you to the publishers, Simon Schuster, and NetGalley for letting me read this prior to publication.
Poppy, Lily and Belladonna are our focus for this story and everything hinges on their relationship to Raven, their best friend. It isn’t immediately clear how this group formed or the reason for the dynamics between them - but we know they have a shared history, and would do anything to protect each other.
Our story opens with a bod
Evidently Bookish
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it
provisional rating: 3.5 stars? might change to 4 after some contemplation. loved the queer rep ofc but the plot wasn't the strongest, a bit predictable for my tastes. the writing is gorgeous at times - crushingly poignant - but the characterisations fall flat for the majority of the book. full review to come. ...more
Chloe⛅
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Triggers: loss of a parent, mention of neglect, abuse, mentions of self harm and wanting to commit suicide, inpatient treatment, substance abuse, being kicked out for being gay

“The wickedest monsters know better than to leave footprints”

Okay I definitely wasn’t planning on reading this book all in one go but I could not put it down, I was intrigued from the start and just had to know what happened and I’m glad I did because I really enjoyed it.

I thought the characters were so complex and interes
Kainabanaina
Jun 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bokhylla-mi
r.bookish
Sep 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
thanks netgalley for this arc!

dnf this book at 20%. honestly, this whole story was just so boring and did not make sense whatsoever
Brianna:)
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sending me an ARC!
I’ve read very few murder mystery books, despite having a decent amount on my TBR. “Lies Like Poison” was fantastic! I enjoyed how the author used flashbacks as a way of displaying the characters’ relationships. Lilly, Belle, and Jack each had their own reasons for wanting to murder Raven’s grandmother and it gave depth to the story.
My favorite character was probably Poppy, who goes by Jack and uses female pronouns. She was quirky but
Bex
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was really excited to read this book, having read Chelsea Pitcher's previous mystery novel. She has an amazing ability to come up with fascinating plots built around great concepts, and this is really indicative of that.

Lies Like Poison follows four... acquaintances, who's relationships are really too complicated to be called friends! There's Raven, the prince in need of saving; Belladonna, the wild and unruly witch; Lily, the princess who's own need for saving goes overlook; and Jack (or Popp
Kiele
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: almost-favorites
This book was so good. Absolutely amazing. I was expecting to like it, but this definitely exceeded expectations. The characters were fabulous, and so was the plot.

Jack. I didn't know how to feel about Jack. She was good at times, and I loved her relationship with her brothers. She was a good character, but she got on my nerves at times. At the end, when they were starting to figure things out, I started to like her more and more. I was actually convinced she was the one who had done it up until
Lucsbooks
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Lies Like Poison" reminded me of a mix of a Sherlock Holmes short story I read a while back and The Haunting of Hill House only YA and much, much, much gayer.
At one point I hated and distrusted every single one of these characters and I mean that in the best way possible. The way the Chelsea Pitcher was able to create believable relationships between people that had reasons not to trust each other, hurt each other, and had to pick and choose who to save, who to lie to, who to trust was a deligh
Lu
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. Thank you, Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing and Margaret K. McElderry Books, for the chance to read Lies like Poison.

TW; abusive relationships, beating, anorexia, suicidal thoughts

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Poppy, Lily and Belladonna are ready to do anything to protect their friend, (in Lily's case, stepbrother= from Evelyn, his stepmother, who is abusing and torturing him. So they came up with a plan: petals of lily, poppy
Lauren
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of them YA books that has you guessing who did it, while trying to pin it on everyone else.

There's LGBT+ themes throughout which I think is well-written.

The plot was full of twists and turns, it will hopefully keep people guessing throughout.

It was a fairly quick and easy read for me, and I did enjoy it. This would be a good read for someone who wants an read to help them from a slump.
Gina Adams
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an early copy!

This read like something from 2012 but with queer rep.
Which I mean, queer rep, but...

This is one of those books where all the characters are in love with each other, some platonically, some romantically, some were platonic and now they’re romantic, some were romantic and now they’re platonic... which ya know, I’m sure that’s representative of plenty of friend groups, but it doesn’t always connect with me.

Also for a lot of the book everyo
Vee
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[ARC Provided by NetGalley, my review is unbiased]
Wordpress Blog | Twitter | Pinterest

📗 I was expecting this story to be much like the many other murder mystery books I've read, with contemporary characters and high school secrets. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this this is actually a dark, gothic story about two boys, two girls, obsession and family secrets.

📘 I really liked the LGBT rep in this story, with queer and transgender characters represented extremely well. This is as much a st
Bella Marie
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
i didn’t really like lies like poison. it was really dark and twisted which is not at all what i usually like to read. as the book went on i did get more invested to see who actually killed Evelyn, but towards the end of the book i really didn’t care anymore. I also guessed from the get-go who killed Evelyn and called most of the ‘plot twists’ throughout the book (such as the tape recorder). don’t really recommend.

• Five Little Liars
  • Good Girls Die First
  • The Forest of Stars
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • A Bowl Full of Peace: A True Story
  • Tiny Travelers China (Treasure Quest)
  • Porcupette Finds a Family
  • Dear Girl
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Charming Falls Apart
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Mulberry Tree
  • The Year Shakespeare Ruined My Life
  • One to Watch
  • In a Holidaze
See top shelves…
Chelsea Pitcher is a karaoke-singing, ocean-worshipping Oregonian with a penchant for twisty mysteries. She is the author of THE S-WORD, THE LAST CHANGELING & THE LAST FAERIE QUEEN.

Watch for her new YA thriller, THIS LIE WILL KILL YOU, coming December 11, 2018 from S&S/McElderry!

Agent: Mandy Hubbard

News & Interviews

“They'll try to hurt us if we're beautiful. They'll try to hurt us if we're ugly. But you know what, baby? They're the ones who are ugly. It doesn't have anything to do with us" -Belle” 1 likes
“The wickedest monsters know better than to leave footprints" -Lily” 0 likes