Start by marking “Cobble Hill” as Want to Read:
Cobble Hill

Cobble Hill

From the number-one New York Times best-selling author of the Gossip Girl series, a deliciously irresistible novel chronicling a year in the life of four families in an upscale Brooklyn neighborhood as they seek purpose, community, and meaningful relationships—until one unforgettable night at a raucous neighborhood party knocks them to their senses.

Welcome to Cobble Hill.
Published November 10th 2020 by Atria Books (first published October 20th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Cobble Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cobble Hill

Start your review of Cobble Hill
Christina
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a quirky and fun book that perfectly captures the essence of the new Brooklyn. I was extremely excited to read this book, because I used to live in Carroll Gardens on the border of Cobble Hill. When I moved there, the area was mostly an Italian neighborhood that was more affordable than Manhattan. By the time I left, it was heading fully in the direction this book describes of celebrity, new money, and hipster adults with their kids.

Cicely von Ziegesar, who wrote the Gossip Girl series,
Maretta King
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok

Have you ever finished a book and just been like what?🤨 that is how I felt after reading this. I was left scratching my head wondering what I just spent all this time reading. I am really really sad. I wanted to love this. I wanted the same magic I felt when I read her other books Gossip Girl or It Girl. None of that magic was in this. It was a bunch of loosely connected characters who were just bizarre and not in a charming way, they also weren’t really relatable o
Sheena
Nov 03, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: netgalley
DNF AT 56%

I’ve never read Gossip Girl or even watched the show but because of its popularity I thought it would be fun to try this authors newest novel. It ended up being a mess.

Cobble Hill follows four families who are neighbors in Brooklyn, New York. There were way too many characters I kinda got lost but eventually, I was able to keep track of them all (but by then I realized I didn’t care). We learn about everyone’s different personalities and these neighbors lives are eventually entertwine
Jen
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Truthfully- I finished this book but I wish I hadn’t. I found it to be ridiculous and a waste of time. The characters are not likable, just a bunch of insipid bores. There’s no plot, or direction in the book. It just kind of ambles along. This is a collection of flawed people and their lives. Great idea, but fails in the execution. My thanks to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Cobble Hill by Cecily von Ziegesar is a great novel about families in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

Cobble Hill starts out giving a good introduction to all the characters current situations. Then the drama starts. I read Cecily von Ziegesar novels for the drama and Cobble Hill did not disappoint. There is so much going on with all of these characters. All the characters are lying and hiding something. There were so many times I just couldn’t wait for the other characters to discover the secrets or I
Dana
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Overall I enjoyed this book. I think it would be good as a tv series or movie. The characters - so full of secrets were all flawed and interesting, the storyline moved at a solid pace and a lot of the situations were things I could see actually happening in real life (except maybe the bar scene, that was beyond bizarre) I also had a couple of laugh out loud moments which I appreciated.

Two things I found irritating...

Beep Beep is not the sound a whistle makes ...

Character building can be achieve
Dennis
9 hours of a story I didn't care about. Narrator was great, but I was legit bored out of my mind. Should have DNF'd. Between the ridiculous names, the soap opera drama within the neighborhood of Cobble Hill, and unlikable characters, I don't think Cobble Hill was a great fit for me. ...more
3.5/ 5 stars

I was a big Gossip Girl tv show fan. So I was excited to read a book by the author who created that world.

Cobble Hill is divided into five parts. The book focuses on four families who live in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

There is Mandy, her husband Stuart (was in a popular band) and their young son Teddy. There is Peaches (the school nurse), her husband Greg, and their son Liam. There is Roy (a famous writer), his wife Wendy, and their daughter Shy. Then there is Tupper (inventor) and his
The Latest Book
2.5 - such an underwhelming book

Many reviews have stated this is 300 pages of words with no clear direction, and I can say that is 100% TRUE! ⁣

You follow the everyday lives of 3 Brooklyn families living in the affluent neighbourhood of Cobble Hill – and that’s about it. Like I said, there is no real story line just people doing what people do. Towards the end I was rushing through this book, practically skimming the stories/characters I wasn’t too interested in(ahem Tupper & Elizabeth Paulson),
Juliana
Dec 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I want to start by saying that I have not, and will not, read this book. Thanks to a CW/TW shared by an online reviewer outside Goodreads, I was spared from (some of) the anger and heartache I would have felt as someone who has lived with multiple chronic illnesses for 23 years.

In this novel, one of the characters fakes a chronic illness (MS) to be able to stay in bed and do nothing all day. Sounds harmless, right?! The faulty judgement of a character with often outrageous behavior.

Except it e
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

☆☆☆☆1/2

I have not read nor watched the Gossip Girl series so Cecily von Ziegesar is a new author to me, I liked the blurb of the book and am really glad I got it from NetGalley. I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. It’s well written and shows how New Yorkers live. I liked the characters too; they were unbelievably quirky, idiosyncratic and funny with a little angst and unrequited love thrown in the mix.

The plot is "What the heck did I just read?" But in a really good way and wa
MJ Symmonds
Nov 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Cobble Hill and don't really need any time to ponder my review because there really is nothing to ponder. This is really a book about nothing. It just centers around a bunch of neighbours who eventually all become linked. They are all a strange, weird mix of rag tag characters and their interactions with each other that really lead to some strange events that don't lead anywhere. I really expected one of the threads of the book to lead into something interesting happen but it jus ...more
Maria
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
I really should stop reading these "funky Brooklyn neighborhood" books. There's nothing in there! It's not smart, it's not funny, it's not dramatic or engaging. It's just blah. Can't believe this got to be first book of the year. I should really be more strict with myself and just Read Better Books. ...more
Anika  | Chapters of May
2.5-ish stars. Thanks to Atria and the author for this ARC.

Cobble Hills starts out by giving the reader exactly what they want. A thorough exploration into the quirky and colourful characters of a Brooklyn neighbourhood, including insight into their many secrets. And this autumnal novel about New York families delivers when it comes to developed relationships and complex dynamics. But sadly, the plot fell flat, and as a result, this Cobble Hill didn’t earn the 5 stars I predicted it would.

The st
Ariele
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Weird and wonderful. I don't know how to describe this story except to say that this neighborhood full of very different personalities (an aging rock star, a confused and famous author, former model, school nurse, a kooky inventor, all of their frustratingly real children) somehow becomes entirely compelling, to the point that I wonder where they are now. They're three dimensional and alive (and not all totally like-able), but I still cared what happened to each of them and couldn't wait to see ...more
Lana
Dec 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I’ve ever read. I typically love neighborhood/ family drama books and this book was soooo boring. There was 0 character development and I could not care less about any of the events or story lines. Do not recommend.
3 no 7
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Cobble Hill” is not in the category of books I usually read, but with the “pandemic” and being stuck at home, I was looking for something different, something fun and easy to read; this certainly fits the bill. The characters are certainly crazy and yet funny and enjoyable. It is a world I certainly do not often visit in my reading, but I enjoyed the diversion. Rich kids in Brooklyn can be compelling and hilarious with their own drama and trauma. Things happen, and I kept reading to find out wh ...more
Caroline Chang
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐️ but rounding down.

What a fun/quirky/light read! The author caught my eye as I was recovering from the news that Gossip Girl was leaving Netflix. In many ways, the characters are more mature and complex than GG. However, like GG, there are many nothingburger plotlines that seem rogue.
Desiree
I personally didn't care for this one. The characters, and their concerns, did not interest me at all. Although, they were well-written, because I kind of hated all of them (ha ha)!
So, rather than giving a 1 Star review for "Did Not Like It", I'll bump it up to a 2 Star for "It's Okay", since the author did do a good job of story telling and giving an authentic glimpse into the every day life of of four American families. So, without further ado, here's my recap for those for whom this story mig
Iman
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This book reminded me so much of those late 90/early 2000 indie movies about married couples and their children and all the threads that connect them.

(Think "The Safety of Objects," "The Squid and the Whale," or any indie movie featuring Jena Malone.)

I didn't fully start to enjoy the book until halfway through when more of the drama started to happen.

That was why I gave this book 3 stars. It reminded me of the vibe those movies had and fed that nostalgia in me...and it was set in my beloved Br
Maggie (Magsisreadingagain)
The synopsis for this book had my interest piqued... a year in the life of four NY families, with secrets and a bit of scandal thrown in. While the premise sounded fun, I found this story to be top-heavy with characters that I didn’t really get the chance to know or like. And while I generally like a multi-POV style, this book often did not have clear distinction of which character’s point of view was being highlighted, causing me to reread sections frequently. This story would probably serve we ...more
Melissa
I love those novels when you see a glimpse into the lives of several people and how they are intrinsically linked together. I find it fascinating.

I know other said that the characters weren't likeable, and it's true. But that's what made me like them. They are human, and they have flaws, like all of us.

I really enjoyed reading about this neighbourhood, and I hope you'll like it too.

Many thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada for the complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review
Chelsea | thrillerbookbabe
What a wonderful and weird book about friendship, family, and the strange process of growing up. Thank you so much to Cicily von Ziegesar and Atria Books for my advance reader’s copy of this lovely book. Knowing her as the author of the Gossip Girl series, I didn’t expect this at all from von Ziegesar and was very surprised. This story is about a few families in Brooklyn that all have their own unique lives and secrets.

Thoughts: I enjoyed how quirky and unique this story was. I felt that it cap
Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Thank you @atriabooks and @netgalley for the gifted galley of Cobble Hill!

This one did not work for me. A lot happened and simultaneously nothing at all. This was hard to follow and to I’m still not quite sure what this book was supposed to convey.

I think this would fit anyone looking for a extreme character driven book, that wasn’t worried about a plot and just wanted to read something. I pushed through because I had the audiobook but otherwise would have DNF’d!
Alexa
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I mostly decided to read this one because I did read the Gossip Girl series by this author years ago, fascinated and totally swept up in the glitz, glamour and drama of teens living in NYC who did a lot of questionable or dumb things. After finishing COBBLE HILL, it feels just about right to give it a 3 star rating.

I couldn't stop reading this one once I'd started. I have an odd fascination with stories that depict slice of life stories about characters who are eccentric, odd personalities that
Marie Claire
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: readwithmc
Here's what the #ReadWithMC community thought about 'Cobble Hill:' https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a... ...more
Kiara
Feb 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This book feels like a fever dream and maybe not in a good way.
Tiffany
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
I slept on this one, and I’m still not sure how I feel about it, quite honestly.

I loved Gossip Girl, so I was all on board for a drama filled neighborhood in Cobble Hill. Well, I got my drama all right! 🥴

I just can’t wrap my mind around these characters and their actions. The one I can’t get over is pretending to have MS (I’m sorry, what?). The other characters...oy vey.

I just. It was a lot to digest.

Moving on.
Jenny
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 ⭐️

EDIT: bumped it down half a star because, in retrospect, there's a hell of a lot of crap in this book under the guise of being "true" to privileged white people of New York.

Trigger warnings: pyromania, substance abuse, mentions of dead bodies/dismemberment, fat-shaming, ableism, racism

This is a very average book that seems to exist only to cater to the voyeuristic tendencies we all have, l
Kieran
May 11, 2021 rated it liked it
the melodrama of gossip girl + the ennui of being a middle aged art person in brooklyn idk sometimes you need rich people escapism

oh and the teens don't drink champagne in chanel anymore they steal their parents prescription weed and go to supreme drops lol #2021

• Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Station Eleven
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Amnesty
  • Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister: Three Women at the Heart of Twentieth-Century China
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • All That Glitters: Anna Wintour, Tina Brown, and the Rivalry Inside America's Richest Media Empire
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • How to Pronounce Knife
  • Dirty Letters
  • A Good Marriage
  • Firekeeper's Daughter
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Little Teashop in Tokyo (Romantic Escapes, #6)
  • Finna
  • On the Horizon
See top shelves…
Cecily von Ziegesar is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Gossip Girl novels, upon which the hit television show is based. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with her family.

News & Interviews