Start by marking “A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow

A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16,792 ratings  ·  2,979 reviews
Love & Gelato meets Don’t Date Rosa Santos in this charming, heartfelt story following a Miami girl who unexpectedly finds love—and herself—in a small English town.

For Lila Reyes, a summer in England was never part of the plan. The plan was 1) take over her abuela’s role as head baker at their panadería, 2) move in with her best friend after graduation, and 3) live happily
Published November 10th 2020 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow, please sign up.
amoona there's swearing, drinking, and kissing. it's a straight romace, like cordelia said, mentioned LGBTQ+, but that wouldn't make it unclean or unpure wha…morethere's swearing, drinking, and kissing. it's a straight romace, like cordelia said, mentioned LGBTQ+, but that wouldn't make it unclean or unpure whatsoever if that's what you're implying.(less)
Imani In my personal opinion the romance was clean, but the language was not. There was a lot of swearing here and there used in casual conversation which s…moreIn my personal opinion the romance was clean, but the language was not. There was a lot of swearing here and there used in casual conversation which surprised me.

If you want clean language, I would recommend YA by Kasie West. (less)

·  16,792 ratings  ·  2,979 reviews

Start your review of A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I loved a lot about this book, but I also had too high of expectations, which seems to be a recent issue. I try not to go in with expectations but it's kind of impossible. But that's not to say I didn't really like this book! I just didn't fall in love entirely. I wasn't expecting all of the food and cooking stuff, and that was such a nice pleasant surprise! It made me super hungry while reading it honestly. I loved the passion Lila had. I also loved how steeped in culture it was. Lila's Cuban h ...more
Oyinda
EDIT: EYE am tired of y'all in the comments telling me she mentioned Ghana. She mentioned Ghana one time or two times compared to the eleven or so times she mentioned Africa. I'm glad y'all love the book. Good for you. Stop dismissing my valid concerns thank you.

If I had to rate the story alone, I'd give it 4 stars. The reason my final review is 2 stars is because of the blatant casual racism regarding "Africa", which I'll discuss later in this review.

Look, this is a very beautiful book and one
Danielle
Jul 02, 2021 rated it liked it
A cute/quick read about a girl who is sent to live overseas for the summer. 🙂 She loves to bake and misses her grandma who taught her how. This was definitely predictable, but also a fun/easy read for summer. 😉❤️📚
Laura Namey
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Thank you for visiting the listing for A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow. If you'd like to read a longer synopsis, see some aesthetics, and learn about the family history behind my story, visit http://lauranamey.wpengine.com/cuban-... for more details. Content warnings: Family member death, and dementia.
Thank you for reading!
Ashley Nuckles
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! I absolutely loved this story! I love Lila’s passion for baking and how she finds ways to incorporate her Cuban roots into everything she does in the kitchen. She’s proud of her heritage and family, and I love how it was incorporated into the story. Orion was a cutie patootie and now I want a cute British boy to eat all my baked goods and help me find a tea I like. I also want to travel to the English countryside now. So, thanks to this book for fueling my passion for travel during a ...more
☆Pelumi☆
Well, since some of the reviews fail to mention at the 'casual racism' towards Africa in this book but focus on the cuteness, I'll just drop this link
That is a friend's review of the book

This is just a friendly reminder that Africa is a continent, not an island or country!!
Also, there's electricity here thank you very much! I live in Nigeria which is in Africa and I have a working wifi, electricity and water!!!

I would read this if i wanted to!
The author i
cossette
i just finished a cuban girl's guide to tea and tomorrow for the second time in two months; the first time i'd picked it up because i'd heard great things about it. the second, was partially because of a book club, but also because i was looking for a way to heal after my own grandmother had passed.

a cuban girl's guide to tea and tomorrow is a book that has found a special place in my heart forever. it's a love story to your family and the places and people that are home, to healing and finding
Claude's Bookzone (semi hiatus)
3.5 Stars - Update: I've decided to round up to 4 because 2 hours after finishing I am still thinking about the last quarter of the book and that earns an extra half star because it has left an impression.

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that ended up being
Charmel
DNF at 34%

this book was leading me into a slump.
and thanks to a friend's review, i learned about the racism this book had towards Africa.
aly ☆彡
Feb 26, 2021 rated it liked it
This book can honestly get a solid four stars from me. I wasn't really into it at first because the first few chapters were about Lila's Trifecta, so you can only expect valid emotions from the MC — sadness, betrayal with a bit of rebel; which kinda draining me and I thought I'm going for a reading slump. However, Orion's appearance made the book's momentum to be better and I enjoyed everything onwards.

What I like about this kind of book (idk what do we called this kind of book, the "travelling
Rachel Solomon
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely, and I am very, very hungry now.
Zoeisbookhooked
I DNF this early this year. I read it during my first 24 hour readathon and I was exhausted and not paying attention and thought it sucked. I was tired🙄

This ended up being cute. It wasn’t my favorite but w nice lil story. Honestly there wasn’t a ton of romance in here in my opinion at least. But this book wasn’t awful, just a decent enough book.

original review:

I wanted to love this. But this is a DNF.

It was not capturing. I was trying to get through it but I was so bored. Also I was mega conf
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

A cute little book with lots of interesting characters and great layers to the story. I had trouble with the writing style, but otherwise a quick read and an enjoyable story.
Abbie | abthebooknerd
⭐️ 3.75/5 ⭐️

A wonderful, #ownvoices travel rom-com about family & the true meaning of home.

“Teenage master of Cuban cuisine, Lila Reyes, is eager to inherit her family’s Miami bakery along with her sister, Pilar. But between spring and graduation, Lila’s abuela dies, her best friend abandons her, and her long-time boyfriend dumps her. Fearing Lila’s emotional health, her parents defy her wishes and entrust her summer to family and their Winchester, England inn.

Days into her stay, Orion Maxwell b
kate
I loved this book so very much. It was simply delicious in every sense of the word and will undoubtedly be one of my most memorable 2020 reads.

What I adored about this book:

- Lila Reyes. Lila was such a wonderful character to follow. She was charismatic, warm, passionate, hard working, brave and had so much love to give whilst unwilling to allow anyone to walk over her. I could honestly listen to her talk about her passion for baking all day. Her journey of self discovery was subtle in some wa
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This book feels like a warm hug, a hot cup of cocoa that doesn't scald but warms your hands, and the softest pillow. I adored how gentle and sweet this story was; it felt like a balm to the soul.

- Follows Lila, a Cuban teen whose parents send her to England to stay with family friends to relax following a series of heartbreaking events that devastated her. There, she meets Orion who appoints himself as his tour guide - except, she's discovering that she's falling for him and England, which means
Mikaela
Feb 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Book: *is about a Cuban girl written by a Cuban girl*

Me: Say no more
allie
5 stars.

i am an ABSOLUTE wreck right now. review to come because i adore this book way too much to not talk about it!!
aileen  |  dorian's version ✾
“You love that boy like you love the kitchen. . .but you add yourself like too much sugar sometimes.”

Review to come.
Avani ✨
Dec 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Loved Lila, Orion could have been better.

It was a sweet read.
cupofnicole
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WAIT. a YA contemporary with a CUBAN main character?? living in MIAMI?? the representation I've never seen is right here in this book.

this lovely little book follows Lila, as she deals with some tragic events in her life: her lifelong best friend abandons her to follow her own after-high-school-dream, her boyfriend of 3 years breaks up with her, and her dearest abuela passes away. these are all pretty traumatizing things for a 17-year-old to experience at once- evident in Lila's spiraling mental
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
wow, this story crept its way into my heart so stealthily that before i knew it, i looked up at the clock to find that hours had passed and i had finished the entire thing in pretty much one sitting. a lovable and deeply relatable cast of characters where even the side characters felt fully three-dimensional; a story about finding yourself and reconnecting to your roots even in unexpected places; healthy familial, romantic, and friendship dynamics; countless descriptions of food that *will* make ...more
Ris Sasaki
Dec 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
As a cook I felt directly offended and pissed by how the author portraits not only people from my profession, but also the environment and everything that surrounds the work life in a kitchen.

The portrait was SO OUT OF THIS WORLD that I get more and more pissed just talking about it.

A 17 year old commanding a kitchen? And then owning a bakery easy like that?

A girl that says she loves food but doesn't study or try to learn things to improve and gain more knowledge? That was HIGHLY OFFENSIVE an
abigailscupoftea
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“he’s warm as sweaters and sure as stars.” 🌼🐝✨

i loved this book with my whole heart. side note: this book is best paired with a cozy cardigan, a cup of tea, and snacks. ☕️ it depicted grief in a very beautiful and real way. during the drafting of this book, the author had lost loved ones. during my reading of this book, i had lost a loved one too. it was exactly what i needed. i loved the rich cultures and the characters and the strong sense of family. it whisked me away to colorful miami and ra
Amélie Boucher
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was ok

I'm so sad that I didn't enjoy this! I had such high expectations, especially as this sounded exactly like my cup of tea (no pun intended). I mean, a YA travel novel that takes place in England? Count me in!

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I struggled a lot with our main character. I found her incredibly stubborn and entitled, which made me roll my eyes on numerous occasions. I understood why she acted the way she did, especially in the beginning, but I still didn't warm up to he
jenna (jennajustreads)
This book had all the elements in it to be a great, enjoyable read. But the one thing I thought it lacked was the wow factor that made me want to continue reading. I didn’t really connect to the main character, or any character for that matter. I love almost all travel books and when I first started with this book I was so excited but then as the book continued, I lost interest almost immediately. I wish I could’ve loved this book, but sadly, it fell short.
Sana
Feb 09, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
10/10 WOULD READ FOR THAT CUTE COVER ALONE. But also, set in England \O/
Caro (Bookaria)
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
An adorable story of wonder and self-discovery that follows a Cuban-American girl from Miami to England.

Lila Reyes thought she had her life mapped out, but after graduating high school, her plans crumbled, and she finds herself begrudgingly traveling to England to spend the summer there.

The book is funny, light-hearted, and easy to read. I loved the depictions of food and the cooking process mentioned in the story; it made my mouth water while reading about it. Highly recommend it.
dani
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i loved this so much shut up
Samantha (WLABB)
Lila had her future all mapped out! Her boyfriend and best friend would go to college in Miami, while she assumed her responsibilities at the family bakery. Yes, the future looked bright until her beloved grandmother passed away, her boyfriend broke up with her, and her best friend left for Africa. With her heart broken beyond repair, her family shipped her off to England, which helped Lila come to terms with her heartbreak and her future.

I don't want to sound like a fangirl, but SQUEEEEE! I LO

• You Deserve Each Other
  • Sorcery of Thorns (Sorcery of Thorns, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Ghost Squad
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Displacement
  • Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl (Dork Diaries, #2)
  • Yours to Keep (Man of the Year, #2)
  • My Eyes Are Up Here
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Nimona
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Tools of Engagement (Hot & Hammered, #3)
Laura Taylor Namey is the New York Times bestselling author of Reese’s Book Club pick A Cuban Girl’s Guide to Tea and Tomorrow, The Library of Lost Things, and When We Were Them. A proud Cuban-American, she can be found hunting for vintage treasures and wishing she was in London or Paris. She lives in San Diego with her husband and two children.

This former teacher writes young adult novels featuri

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of young...
“Thing is, when you put something back together it’s never exactly the same as it was before.” 8 likes
“I’ve grown to find peace and acceptance in not fighting what I can’t control.” 8 likes