Start by marking “Dryad, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Dryad, Vol. 1

Dryad, Vol. 1

(Dryad #1)

Best-selling writer Kurtis Wiebe (Rat Queens) and newcomer artist Justin Osterling launch a new fantasy saga!

The Glass family has spent thirteen years hiding peacefully in the sleepy forest settlement of Frostbrook where Morgan and Yale planted roots and raised their twins, Griffon and Rana. But secrets never stay hidden, and the entire Glass family find themselves the tar
Expected publication: January 19th 2021 by Oni Press (first published January 5th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Dryad, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dryad, Vol. 1

Start your review of Dryad, Vol. 1
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I loved most of Rat Queens but this was rough.
Emily
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #NetGalley, Kurtis Wiebe and Justin Osterling for this wonderful e-arc.

This was truly brilliant. Saga vibes! I cannot wait for the next one! So many questions! I need answers!

Dryad by Kurt's Wiebe is a beautifully illustrated and well told graphic novel.
Exciting and fast paced, it leaves you wanting more.

We follow the Glass family, who have left everything behind them to raise their children in peace and give them the best possible life.
Unfortunately, the past has a way of catchin
Shanice
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to the author and publisher for providing me with an arc of this copy!
I ended up really liking this graphic novel and that CLIFFHANGER I need te second installment asap! Although I did feel a bit lost at the beginning of the story because we didn’t get much worldbuilding and there was a big time gap at one point, near the end I felt I started to get a proper grasp of how this world works.
I thought the setting was really interesting, with a blend of medieval fantasy elements in
Lukasz
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

An interesting mix of high fantasy and cyberpunk. At first glance, it's impressive (a lot is happening, shit goes boom), but it lacks depth. As the story progressed, I found the constant snark tiring and the humor unsubtle. There were some plot inconsistencies and the art, while energetic, didn't entrance me. It's ok, I guess. Nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable enough to read it.

ARC through NetGalley
Samah (The Nerdy Blogger)
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, arc, 2021-release
actual rating: 4.5 stars
Thank you Oni Press, Kurtis Wieber, and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review

I loved this. I bloody loved it, because a) it was giving a lot of Saga vibes, mixed with Rat Queens energy (these two are my favourite comics of all time!), and b) we need more comics about loving parents who would do anything to protect their children.

The story starts with Morgen and Yale on the run, accompanied by their twins, Griffon and Ran
Chelsea
Actual rating 3.5

I really thought I was getting some sort of fantasy here. And while I'm not exactly wrong, there is so much more going under the surface.

This is a solid start to this series, but I really didn't feel like we got enough to go on. I felt like the surprises and twists were just there for novelty rather than a real reason. Maybe that's because we don't know everything yet. But when some of the characters we are following know what's going on, it feels like things are being hidden ju
Vintagebooklvr
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This started out as high fantasy but turned into…something else. This was filled with surprises: good world building, great illustrations, lots of introduction of characters but still filled with action, mysteries and lots of potential. I’m intrigued and eagerly await the next in the series to see where this goes.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a free copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
iam
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Part fantasy, part cyberpunk, Dryad Vol. 1 is the introduction to a fast-paced series about a family on the run.

Content warnings include: graphic violence and gore, child injury, non-explicit sex on-page.

On first glance, Dryad seems like fantasy through and through. There's elves and orcs, basic clothing, no electricity, a small village, overgrown ruins of an ancient people and monstrous creatures.
But that's not what Dryad is.
The cyberpunk element comes as a surprise, and when I first noticed
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
"Yes! It’s time! Dryad #1 has finally dropped, and I personally couldn’t be more excited about that fact! If you’re a fan of Rat Queens, then this is absolutely a series you’re going to want to check out.

Why do I say that? Because Kurtis J. Wiebe is the author for both series, and there are so many tones and themes in common. So the odds are very good that if you like one, you’ll enjoy the other. I know I did. Working alongside Wiebe is a new artist, Justin Osterling, but his style is already pr
Kelsey Hlavaty (readingwithkelsey)
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an eARC copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really enjoyed this! I think if you like Rat Queens (which the writer is from) or Saga, then you will really, really enjoy your experience reading this book. The art was amazing and right up my alley. The story had a mix of heartwarming elements (two parents leaving their life behind to save their children) mixed in with badass comba
Olivia
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-2020
3.5☆

Morgan and Yale have been living in Frostbrook for 13 years, with their children Rana and Griffon. But Morgan and Yale have been keeping a secret from their kids, and when Muse Corp comes to find them, their secrets are unearthed.

This gave me extreme ptsd from Saga (which I hated), but thankfully, this was much more enjoyable.

What I liked:

- art style
- Yale is so attractive omg
- Morgan and Yale: I really liked their characters, Rana and Griffon, not so much
- cool concept
- I enjoyed the endin
Kennady
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.8

Umm things were super muddled throughout the story the whole time and it reminded me SO much of Saga (which i love absolute favourite 10/10) and i think because of that i kept going, and will probably keep going as long as they make the books. But the story was that typical 'si-fi mysterious i have deep dark past and now its caught up to me crap" that if it isn't done right it wont go over very well so we'll see...Im interested to see if they can do better...

The art work is stunning and id lo
Angela
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this as an eARC to read for free in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for giving me access.

This one kept me intrigued! And that ending? I cannot wait for Vol. 2 to come out.

The only thing I had an issue with was the beginning and the huge time jump. I would like to have learned more as to why they were going into hiding upfront verses being slightly confused throughout. If I ignore the beginning, the story flowed great!
RG
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kinda liked this. Elf and human running from something. Set up life in a country style town. Cut some years down the track and the kids are..kids. Great build
Megan
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an e-Arc of this book through netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dryad is a wonderful sci-fi graphic novel and a great introduction and starting place to a series. It seemed quite slow paced in places but that can be expected for the first volume of a series. Fortunately, where it fell short in pacing it made up for in world building and character development. I look forward to volume 2, and seeing more from this world and these characters
Yvonne Olson
Dec 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
This had a good concept, but I couldn't make it through the first scene. I glanced through the rest of the graphic novel, and I felt like I didn't want to continue.

Mikorin
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley, arc
The cover and the art are gorgeous throughout the book.

Where do I even start with this book.. These are not your usual medieval-fantasy elves living in a small town.. despite the fact that this is the exact setting we start with. We see Morgan and Yale trek through the wilderness with two tiny children - where they very candidly stop to change diapers. They arrive to their destination, a quaint village hidden by the woods and some ruins, where they raise their kids for the next ten or so years.
Midu Hadi

I requested this book on Netgalley and I'm so glad that I did!

This was a beautifully illustrated book that didn’t get as much support from the story as it should have. The vibrant colors and a sense of history and culture that we come across in the first half or so is reminiscent of the movie, Avatar. However, all that suddenly goes away and we’re told it wasn’t even real. Okay, I got that part too. Whatever came after that was a big blur for me! (view spoiler)
Emily Ozuna
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
•ENGLISH/ESPAÑOL•

~ENGLISH~

This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Let's see ... how to start ...?
Actually, I LOVE graphic novels, illustrations and fantasy too much. If you add a little drama to all that, I'm fully on board to embark on a great adventure!
Maybe that's why, at the end of this graphic novel, I was very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the story has so much potential!
This one focuses on the Glass family. 13 years ago, Morgan and Yale Gla
gustavo
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ENG - PT REVIEW

ENG
"There's poetry in finding ancient things beneath the ruins of young empires."

trigger warning: graphic violence.

thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC in exchange of an honest review of the book via NetGalley. 💙

I read this whole story feeling the same warmth in my heart that I felt when I read Saga (Brian K Vaughan).
the story is not similar, but this style "family together killing monsters" remembered it 😭

obviously, my favorite part of the comic was this family re
Tessa Swehla
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for good comic book cover art, especially one featuring a large sword slung over a woman’s shoulder. The stunning visuals of 'Dryad', created by Kurtis Wiebe of 'Rat Queens' and Justin Osterling, drew me in immediately when I started reading; the characters and the settings are magnetic in quality, prompting me to turn page after page just so that I could see the next image.

This comic book series is like if Brian K. Vaughan’s comic series 'Saga' and M. Night Shyamalan’s 2004 film 'T
Eshana Ranasinghe
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dryad was kind of not great. While I understand that this is the first in a series and mostly just an introduction there was very little actual story for most of the comic. The beginning was meandering and took forever to get to the point, barely even grazing the main plot of the series until right at the end. Too much time was spent in the village which in the scope of the comic (this volume at least) felt pointless. The characters were fine if not a bit bland. It felt as if the story took a lo ...more
Dhrishya
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Volume 1 reads as a solid introduction into the Dryad universe.

The chapters read like animated episodes. While this may seem action-packed or too fast-paced for a first volume, it does help the comic cover a lot of ground, especially considering the amount of world-building that needs to take place.

The Glass family presents themselves to us in almost an idyllic fashion. As a reader, we know they are running away from a past that doesn't seem to have a place in the future that they need for their
Raj
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it

A baby needs a nappy change in a forest. This is how we're introduced to the elven woman, Morgan and her husband, a human named Yale. They are two city folks, struggling through a forest in search of something. In the first few pages, they stumble through a cave filled with ruins of an ancient civilization. The ruins exit into an idyllic valley with a storybook village.

13 years later, we find the woman is worki
Sharon Tyler
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dryad, Vol. 1, is a fantasy graphic novel written by Kurtis Wiebe and illustrated by Justin Barcelo (at least according to the credit pages in the galley I received, many sites have a different last name for the illustrator). It is currently scheduled for release on January 5 2021. The Glass family has spent thirteen years hiding peacefully in the sleepy forest settlement of Frostbrook where Morgan and Yale planted roots and raised their twins, Griffon and Rana. But secrets never stay hidden, an ...more
Catherine
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a voluntary and honest review.

When you first start reading, Dryad appears to be purely fantasy....but it's clear you're missing something as you're thrown right into the two main characters, Morgen and Yale as they flee from something or someone with two children.

You quickly learn that Dryad is, in fact, part fantasy and part sci-fi, very reminiscent of Saga. The story is fast-paced and gripping from the start, as you first see Morgen take on
Xerxes
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an example of the future with sci-fi and fantasy emerging together. I did like this wasn't your usual typical humans stuck in a cybernetic society (What with Cyberpunk 2077 coming along on the 10th of December...hopefully it doesn't get delayed again). It has elves, orcs, and magical creatures, yet it also has that grand epic feel of fantasy civilizations. That said, some of my criticism being was that sometimes the dialogue boxes were stretched a little bit, making it a little bit harde ...more
Corin
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The e-ARC I received was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Escaping their past lives with their newborn twins Rana and Griffon, ex-soldier Morgan and her husband Yale find a new home in the sleepy village of Frostbrooks, hidden away from the rest of the cruel world they live in. They vow to protect their children from their past but no vow can keep away what's coming for them.

The art in this comic is GORGEOUS. Being an artist myself, that was my very first
Michelle  Hogmire
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Oni Press for an advance copy of this graphic novel, in exchange for an honest review (expected pub date Jan 5, 2021)--

A lot of people--especially young people--like to imagine that their parents never got up to anything too crazy when they were kids. It's as if a switch is flipped: once you have a child, your youth disappears. Of course, we all know this isn't true. But for twins Griffon and Rana in Kurtis Wiebe's thrilling new comic DRYAD, VOL. 1, the gap between their expectations a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Book Title 1 12 Apr 18, 2020 07:01PM

• Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1
  • Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 1
  • Martian Ghost Centaur
  • Whisper Me a Love Song (Whisper Me a Love Song, #1)
  • X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #2 (of 4)
  • Giant-Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost #1
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #4 (of 6)
  • Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
  • Thor (2020-) #3
  • Juliet Takes a Breath: The Graphic Novel
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #3 (of 6)
  • X-Men #6
  • Marauders #9
  • Excalibur #8
  • X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #1 (of 4)
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #2 (of 6)

Dryad (2 books)