Start by marking “The Science of Stephen King: The Truth Behind Pennywise, Jack Torrance, Carrie, Cujo, and More Iconic Characters from the Master of Horror” as Want to Read:

Uncover the theories behind the Master of Horror's macabre tales: It, The Shining, Carrie, Cujo, Misery, Pet Semetary, and so much more!

Published October 6th 2020 by Skyhorse (first published October 5th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Stephen King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Stephen King

Start your review of The Science of Stephen King: The Truth Behind Pennywise, Jack Torrance, Carrie, Cujo, and More Iconic Characters from the Master of Horror
Michael Hicks
Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence, who have previously explored The Science of Monsters and The Science of Women in Horror turn their attention to the King of Horror for their latest book. In The Science of Stephen King, the authors explore the real-world scientific phenomenon that have either inspired or have helped support the various themes, stories, and elements from the last 50 years of King's far-ranging career.

Suitably enough, Hafdahl and Florence start right at the beginning, with King's 19
Crystal Zavala
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I consider myself a baby Stephen King fan, but I do think I have earned the label of #ConstantReader . I started reading his books a little over two years ago. In that time, I have read at least one King book a month. Prior to that, I had only read Hearts in Atlantis.

Meg Hafdahl sent me a copy of her newest book The Science of Stephen King that she co-wrote with her podcast co-host, Kelly Florence! Meg and Kelly co-host the podcast, Horror Rewind.

The Science of Stephen King features 30 of King's
Lainy
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - < 4 days

Pages - 264

Publisher - Skyhorse

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

Gothic media moguls Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence, authors of The Science of Monsters and The Science of Women in Horror, and co-hosts of the Horror Rewind podcast called “the best horror film podcast out there” by Film Daddy, present a guide to the Stephen King stories and characters we all know and love. Through interviews, literary and film analysis, and bone-chilling discoveries, The Scien
Brandi Guarino
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Disclaimer: I received a copy of The Science of Stephen King from authors Hafdahl and Florence in exchange for honest reviews. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Following the release of their non-fiction novels, The Science of Women in Horror and The Science of Monsters, Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence have taken a deep dive into the world of Stephen King in their newest release, The Science of Stephen King. With nearly fifty years of material to delve into, there is plenty to keep King's #Co
David Veith
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun read. At 1st I thought it was almost debunking some of the things in Kings books, but as I kept going I realized it was doing just as the title stated, providing the science behind the stories. Not proving things right or wrong persay, but just giving more food for thought. Plus it makes you want to go back and reread some good books!
The Horror Hypothesis
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After checking out the other "Science of..." offerings by Hafdahl and Florence, I was extremely excited to get to their take on Stephen King novels and this book did not disappoint.

This is a fantastic bedside reader and companion piece for any constant reader.

THE SCIENCE OF STEPHEN KING takes a chronological dive into the scientific basis for various King novels. Each chapter tackles a separate novel - the chapter on IT, for example, delves into the history of Clowns and attempts to contextual
Mary-Ann Maronski
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very, interesting. It takes an in-depth look at the scientific phenomena behind the horrors in Stephen King’s work. It begins with his first novel Carrie and then continues book by book with it’s examination of the science and psychology behind Stephen King’s writing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a long time “constant reader”, or anyone looking to get into Stephen King’s work and not knowing where to start.
Stephanie Cote
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This would be my first book by Meg and Kelly. Let me tell you this will most certainly not be my last. Like many others who try to hold the title I am another one of Steven King's "biggest fans". It was to my surprise how much I actually didn't know about him. Meg and Kelly dive right in by touching on some of Stephen Kings top hits. They go in depth explaining why King wrote what he wrote, story behind the story if you will. Showcasing just what makes the King of Horror tick. From substance abu ...more
Betsy
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been highly anticipating The Science of Stephen King for quite some time. Not only am I a fan of Stephen King's work, I am also a fan of the other books in this particular series that includes The Science of Monsters. Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence dig into the different truths that are illuminated in Stephen King’s stories through interviews and library/internet research.

The interviews that they conducted brought more life and understanding to King’s stories. Since King’s characters to
Maya W.F.
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did not like this book at all. To me, it had little to do with Stephen King himself and how he looked at his stories. I was under the impression it would explain a lot on the writer himself, how he got his inspiration and did his research. That was in it too, yes, but only so little. It was more on other people explaining on their work and the subjects they worked on that Stephen King has written about.

After the 10th interview with somebody, talking about his or her work and the recurring questi
Robert Florence
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed this latest book by two well qualified horror aficionados. They have drawn me into the horror camp with their several books and novels. In this, their latest book, they skillfully explore several Stephan King books including their genesis. In each chapter they use a primary topic in a Stephan King's book to educate the readers with a deep dive into the science and history of the main topic. The short "tidbits" of information on each page furthered my knowledge of little ...more
Aimee
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Science of Stephen King is a thorough look into each of King's works (organized in chronological order) and the science and background behind the themes in each one. This is an incredibly fascinating read - perfect (obviously) for Constant Readers, but also a great choice for anyone interested in history and horror in general. If you're working your way through reading King's novels, I would highly suggest keeping this on your shelf for reference after you've finished each one.

Kirsty Procter
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book proved a very interesting read! I love horror and love Stephen King even more so. Therefore I absolutely loved seeing this book go chapter by chapter through King books exploring the science and going into depth about what inspired his macabre mind.
Both authors have a passion for horror and you can really feel it in the writing of this book.

Overall I very much enjoyed reading this and learning more about the science behind what inspires horror.

Thankyou again to Meg Hafdahl and Kelly
Shawn Campbell
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It encapsulated the traits and quirks that make Stephen King a delightful read. I was aware of some of the science in King's books, but not to the extent that Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence researched and presented. The interviews helped color their arguments and bring life to them as well! This book was a quick read and had a bouncy flow to it, going from one book review to the next. I eagerly await reading the other books in their "The Science of..." series!
Alex
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A series of essays and interviews that bounce off themes from Stephen King’s oeuvre. This can comfortably be consumed in small bites over a long period of time, as each entry stands on its own. Each segment would comfortably make an episode of a podcast, a format with which the authors are quite familiar.
Greg Stenberg
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by these exceptional authors! This touched on lots of my favorite Stephen King stories as well as some i haven't discovered yet. It was so interesting and fun to read about all the science behind some of King's greatest novels!
Melissa
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, commentary
An excellent analysis of several of Stephen King's novels and short story collections as well as the subject matter and events that inspired it. Includes interviews with various experts and fellow authors. A great source for constant readers and writers alike.
R.J. Huneke
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great work that delves into the research and science that is often lost in the thrilling and beguiling stories of writer Stephen King. For an author, there is a great deal of science throughout the vast body of work from Sai King, especially considering he is not a sci-fi author. The interviews of field experts and extensive comparisons to other works help make this a page-turner and an interesting exploration of scientific perspectives as they dial in to discuss the science of the Kin ...more
Nicola S Marien

• Clown in a Cornfield
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Hollow Places
  • Standalone
  • The Messy Man (The Messy Man #3)
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner