Start by marking “Halton (Vested Interest, #6)” as Want to Read:
Halton (Vested Interest, #6)

Halton

(Vested Interest #6)

A sexy, new standalone in the Vested Interest series.

When love turns to hate—that’s where I come in.

I’m Halton Andrew Smithers, attorney. Hal to my clients and friends.

Messy divorces, deadbeat dads, runaway wives, cheating partners—I handle them all.

I know the seedy side of love, and it isn’t pretty. I avoid emotional attachments—I’ve seen all too often when hot p
Published June 27th 2019 by Moreland Books Inc (first published June 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Halton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halton

Start your review of Halton (Vested Interest, #6)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]

Halton is book six in the Vested Interest series by Melanie Moreland. This can easily be read as a stand alone. As is normal, the characters do recur from the previous books but will not take away from this one if you haven’t read them. Thus far, I have only read the previous book, Van. I fell so in love with him and thought there was no way I could love another Hero more. Until this book, until Halton.

We first met Halton (Hal) Smithers in the previous book when he was hired as a lawyer for Van
Hanne
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halton is the sixth novel in the Vested Interest series. It can be read as a standalone. Halton was a sweet, romantic and a little emotional novel. The epilogue was the perfect and adorable ending of this book. I really loved Halton, just like I loved every book of the Vested Interest series. The writing, the characters and the emotions in this series are so good.

Fee is smart, honest, reliable, kind hearted and lonely. She didn’t have the best marriage and she’s getting a divorce now. She had gi
Syndi
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fron all the books in this series that i had listen, i still love Reid story the best. Now in Halton, it falls short. To be honest, the theme of this books is similar to Bently. I have really hard time connecting with Halton. In my mind he is sort of baby.

He feels sorry for himself way too much. I am bit disappointed that Miss Moreland can not bring more intense and complex character into Halton.

Overall i do not love this book nor hate it either.

3 stars
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
2.5 predictable stars

I’m really tired of reading of poor little heroines that have little to no experience, that quits college and takes 2 jobs to help support their husbands and their careers only for their husbands to turn abusive and cheaters. They can’t do anything other to get help from the so call heroes (their white knights in shining armor)

I’m tired of manwhore heroes that have FBs, that don’t want a relationship but they love to have sex with OWs. Heroes who tell the OWs that they’re o
Somia
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A ok, light read that focuses on attorney Halton (Hal) Andrew Smithers and Fiona (Fee) Hutchings. The two-meet when Fee comes to him seeking help as her husband seeks to discover her in order to appease his mistress. I have to say that I wanted more fire and oomph when it came to the heroine, there was something key missing from the contours of her personality.

The 6th novel in the Vested Interest series, this can be read as a standalone.

Potential Triggers: (view spoiler)
DJ Sakata
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite Quotes:

I would never throw liquor in the face of a woman, no matter what she had done. I had class and manners. And I wouldn’t want to waste the scotch.

Time in the world of the law has a totally different meaning. Urgent means I’ll get to it when convenient. As soon as possible could be next week or next month. If a lawyer says he’ll “get right back to you,” grab a coffee. Maybe a sandwich. You’re going to wait a while.

I think there is good in everyone… In fact, I’d go as far as to say,
Janet Taggart Baldwin
Halton Smithers, Attorney at Law, Defender of the Defenseless, Protector of the Weak, All around Knight in Shining Armour. But also Man with the Hard Heart, Lover only for Right Now, not for Forever. His past has taught him that love only hurts and doesn't last. He only sleeps a few hours a night and throws himself into his work with long hours and working weekends. His girlfriends rarely last longer than a month and are barely noticed when they leave. His is a lonely existence.

Fiona is the wife
Alex ♈
I pity all, who find disrespectful manwhores romantic. He used OWs, spoke bad about them, but miraculously changed as he met Ms Celibacy-Save-The-World-with-Kindness 🙄
I'm not a fan of BS. It's a fiction, not a sick fairytale.
Moving on away from this masterpiece.
Elizabeth
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as nope-nope-nope  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

Sometimes when I read blurbs and details of a book I think "oh this has to be an older book" and it never is. A book released in 2019 doing the same ol misogynistic tropes, on top of that is the fact it's just all so predictable, is there no other way to write the hero but as a manwhore and the heroine as celibate?
Jan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars, I guess. I didn't hate it, but it was just OK. I never really connected with H or h, or cared about either of them very much :(

When it got to the first sex scene, I was done. It did not like the writing style in this scene, and for me it wasn't sexy at all. So I decided to cut my losses and move on to another book.

Oh well, I tried another new-to-me author. You win some, you lose some.

DNF at 55%.

BTW, this book has a terrible cover..... Just sayin'
Anna
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's broken from her failed marriage, he is broken from his awful childhood. Together they will find light... Lol
Predictable
Very sweet when they finally together
Erin Lewis
5 star Review Halton (Vested Interest #6) by Melanie Moreland

This is Halton (Hal) Andrew Smithers and Fiona (Fee) Hutchings’s story and it was a great story. Being an attorney, Hal knows the good and the bad of people so he avoids emotional attachment at any cost., that is until Fee comes barreling into his life, then all bets are off.

There was humour, emotion and everything in between which I have come to expect from a Melanie Moreland book. Halton was extremely well written and had me absolute
Stefani Daley
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Halton and Fiona’s story might be my favorite one yet of Melanie Moreland. There is something to be said about a brooding man who feels like love is a mythical creature that doesn’t exist, and a strong woman who unknowingly proves him wrong. Their story will have you cheering for them from the beginning. Halton and Fiona are two people that are honest and genuine, but can’t see in themselves what others see. Hal is like a knight in shining armor who wants to protect the innocent and righ ...more
My Own Bookshelves
Melanie Moreland writes the most amazing heroes. Every book amazes me how much she taps into my brain and writes the prince charming of my dreams. Halton is no exception to the book boyfriends I now hoard away to keep for my very own.

This is a hard book to shelve because I wavier between standalone and series. Although Halton was a secondary character - WITH THE MOST EPIC LINE EVER -in Van, his and Fiona's stands alone within the Vested Interest world. I have managed to hook a few readers. Beca
Thuy Taylor
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since we met Halton in Van's book, I was dying and hoping Melanie would write Hal's story. Low and behold, here he is and I devoured it!

Hal is cutthroat but for clients that are the underdogs, he tries really hard to be fair, and he is really good at what he does. Halton doesn't do relationships, because he's lived a pretty rough childhood and vows to never allow himself to be in any type of relationship to where it could potentially turn into turmoil. Until Fee shows up. He wants to fight
Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase
Wow - once again Melanie Moreland adds another hot and sexy man into the Vested Interest group. We have all known Hal as the hard edged attorney who takes no prisoners and always fights to win, but we have never seen his softer side. When a brief encounter with his arch rival's wife comes into play Fiona (Fee) takes Hal into uncharted waters. But can she soften his rough exterior and grab hold of his heart? Can Hal fight for her in and out of the courtroom? Beautifully written and emotionally dr ...more
Laiza
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.. How do I feel about this book... Umm I have been waiting for Halton's story after meeting him in the story of Van. Hal is an alpha lawyer who is expert in family law.. So I am really excited to get to know him and I am really sad and disappointed when I finally meet him, he is not what I envisioned him to be..
The whole story did not make sense to me
and I am not really ok with them having a relationship at the middle of the heroine divorce case where she is still technically married.
BookAddict
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A damaged alpha hero who thinks he’s unworthy and incapable of love? Yes, please! And Moreland gives us a beautifully broken, compelling hero in Halton. An attorney and champion of truth and justice, Hal helps those who might not get help otherwise. When someone with close ties to his biggest rival comes to Hal for help, all bets are off. He'll fight tooth and nail to get justice, but he’s not prepared for the unfamiliar feelings that are stirred up.

This author has an uncanny ability to sneak in
Shelly
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. As usual, Melanie Moreland's writing was fantastic and it's clear why she's a NYT/USA Today bestselling author. Halton and Fiona were beautifully crafted and tragically flawed characters and I was invested in their journey from their very first meeting. Hal may have been a surly, modern-day white knight with chipped and dented armor, but Fiona wasn't your typical helpless damsel in distress, thank you very much. She was capable and tenacious and hopeful, with an am ...more
Big Joe  Rossi
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens when your enemies wife comes into your law practice to get a divorce? I will tell what shoudlnt happen you dont hire her. You dont let her stay at your place. You dont sleep with her. And you sure as hell dont get the feels for her. But Halton, BAM's new lawyer does just that.

Fiona (Fee) Hutchings was left with nothing when her loser ex tells her she wants a divorce. When she 'stalks' Halton and he agrees to be her lawyer things start to look brighter. Where she could be a weak, br
Cathy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this story. As always Moreland writes a brilliantly protective male H and another sweet but sassy heroine. Halton likes to fight for the underdog, he has his own personal insight into securing the best care for children, but is closed off to the idea of a permanent relationship himself.

I loved watching as Fiona found herself after coming out of her oppressive marriage and how she broke down Hal's barriers without him even noticing.

secondary character Rene is a total sweetheart. I love
Kari Hansen
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halton has only ever seen the devastating effect of what happens when love goes wrong and the effect it has on the innocent parties, especially the children. As a result, when he decides which clients he will offer his legal services to he chooses the people who have been wronged and will fight to the end to ensure that they don’t become casualties.

Fee has been married to her husband for 10 years until he throws her out with no income or resources, and she is left stunned and reeling. As he is a
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missy
It’s no secret how much I adore the sexy, smart, excellent Vested Interest series, and that adoration continues with Halton.

We’ve seen snippets of Hal throughout the other books. He’s saved the day many times, and now it’s his turn. And, whoa, does he save the day for Fiona. But this “thing” with Fiona is more than an attorney-client relationship. So much more.

It’s something Hal never thought he’d experience for himself. Day in and day out, he’s witness to some of the worst behavior imaginable—
Tracey
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh Halton! What a nice addition to the BAM family! Each man's story brings out all the feels for me which makes this entire series one of my favorites of all time. I've said in previous reviews that I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite because I love them all and now it's even harder since she added Halton to the mix. I read the first 3 books in this series over a period of 5 days because I couldn't put them down. I love Melanie's style of writing because it's emotional, deep, interesting, ...more
Queen B
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halton is what Melanie Moreland does best. Have an emotionally unavailable character fall in love.

Halton is our emotionally damaged lawyer and Fee, his client turned employee turned friend. Halton is this wonderful creature who roots for the underdog and the helpless. And naturally, Fee is one of those helpless.

What we see unfold is this: Halton goes from workaholic womanizer to a man rediscovering what truly is important. And Fee goes from this defeated, beaten down woman to someone who is stro
Lovingbooks1
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
*A copy of this book was gifted to me from the author and I freely give my honest review*

A beautiful story about a grumpy “monster” and a “princess” 😁
I found this story very engaging so I had big problems putting the book down.
No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
Lots of funny, but also deep dialogues
The chemistry between Fiona and Halton is not momentarily but it’s building nicely when they interact more and more. There’s some sweet moments of showing trust in each other.
At some point i
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
I love a gruff and growly hero and Halton definitely falls into that category. But He wears such a tough and grouchy persona that even he himself has begun to believe it.

“But right now, you’re lying to yourself and to me. You’re not afraid to fail. You’re afraid to feel.”

Fiona comes to Halton at her lowest point, needing a hand to get her back on her feet. But she ends up being the one person who really gets under his skin. With a little help from his assistant Rene, Fee gets Halton to break t
Crystal
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halton is the sixth book in the Vested Interest Series. It can be read as a standalone. The story is well written, it had some suspense and emotion. Halton or Hal as he likes being called is a hard a$$ lawyer, he fights his cases for the right reason. Fiona is the wife of his fellow lawyer nemesis and she's seeking his help. Add in Rene, who's so comical. I think Hal has pushed Reid out of my favorite character in this series. I loved him! I liked that we get to see past characters too. I've lov ...more
Isha Coleman
Shelves: first-reads
When love calls, common sense takes a back seat and emotions take over the wheel. What happens when a man known for using his head finally listens to his heart? Halton is one of those characters that you want to hate, but can't help love. Life has made him. Can love reform him? Fiona is this superman's kryptonite. She sees him at his worst and loves him anyway. Two cynical hearts are about to discover there is no logic, when it comes to falling in love. The heart is the deciding factor and we're ...more
J Williams
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Vested Interest series and although you don't need to read the other books to enjoy Halton, you should definitely read them all!!

Hal is a bitter divorce lawyer. He has no room in his life for love. Fee has been completely burned by her soon-to-be ex husband. They are thrown together by necessity and chance but soon find themselves as friends and lovers.

I loved both of these characters. Fee is so sweet and yet so strong. Hal is so kind and yet so jaded. They seem like they could never
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
United By Romance: Halton 3 7 Oct 08, 2019 04:29PM

• Mason Wolfe (Wolfe Brothers #3)
  • One Hot Summer
  • Nathan Wolfe (Wolfe Brothers #2)
  • Elijah Wolfe (Wolfe Brothers #1)
  • The Takeover (The Miles High Club, #2)
  • Take Me to Bed: A Collection of Naughty Bedtime Stories
  • Call Me Crazy (Bellamy Creek, #3)
  • Someday, Somehow
  • Beauty and the Badge (Charlotte's Cove #1)
  • Dangerous Temptations
  • Make Me Yours (Bellamy Creek, #2)
  • To Have and Hate
  • Saved Kisses
  • Then There Was You
  • Keeping Ava (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha)
  • The Difference
  • Adoring Delaney (The Next Generation #5)
Welcome Romance Readers!
Join my newsletter for news on upcoming releases and sales CLICK HERE

Make sure to follow me on Amazon for new release alerts CLICK HERE

Join me on Facebook in my reader group CLICK HERE

Check out my excerpts on Book+Main CLICK HERE

A bit about me:
NYT/WSJ/USAT International bestselling author Melanie Moreland, lives a happy and content life in a quiet area of Ont

Vested Interest (7 books)
  • Bentley (Vested Interest, #1)
  • Aiden (Vested Interest, #2)
  • Maddox (Vested Interest, #3)
  • Reid (Vested Interest, #4)
  • Van (Vested Interest, #5)
  • Sandy (Vested Interest #7)

News & Interviews