Start by marking “Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life” as Want to Read:
Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life

Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life

A wondrous debut from an extraordinary new voice in nonfiction, Why Fish Dont Exist is a dark and astonishing tale of love, chaos, scientific obsession, andpossiblyeven murder.

David Starr Jordan was a taxonomist, a man possessed with bringing order to the natural world. In time, he would be credited with discovering nearly a fifth of the fish known to humans in his day.
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Why Fish Don't Exist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Fish Don't Exist

Start your review of Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life
Gail C.
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first opened this book, I was expecting more of a biography on the life and studies of taxonomist and former Stanford University President David Starr Jordan. His work in classifying fish was groundbreaking in his day, marred by the destruction of many of his exhibits in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
Once I began reading, I discovered much more. There were many details about David Starr Jordan and his work, at times perhaps more than I would have liked. However, the details were given
Grant Cousineau
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To say this is a book on a quest to prove the nonexistence of fish, or a book about the life of David Starr Jordan, or even a book about taxonomy feels far from accurate. Part scientific history, part philosophical exploration, and part memoir, Miller puts her science-podcasting experience to use in this wonderful work of nonfiction.

Jordan was a man who needed to name things--first stars, then plants, and then fish. He was a scientist and an explorer with wild ideas about the ways of the
Keeley
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
As she's starting to lose the will to live, the author discovers an anecdote about this scientist's fish collection getting destroyed in an earthquake, but he remains undeterred. She sets out to figure out how he's so resilient, and starts researching his life to find clues she can apply in the face of this chaotic world where nothing is permanent.

For such dark subject matter, the tone was oddly light. But maybe that is part of the author's message, that trying to find order in this world is
Taunya Miller
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I am giving this a 3/5 star review because, frankly, I had a very hard time finishing it. The subject matter was interesting but I found some parts of the book to be distasteful. There are some things that are not to be joked about and Jordan seemed to be a complete ass. To be honest, there were times when I'd read a whole chapter and then not be able to recall what I had just read. I just can't with books like this...

David V.
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received as an ARC from the publisher. Started 2-28-20; finished 2-29-20. A remarkable book by an author who loves words: where else could you get a description of her father's diving techniques as "the belliest of flops." Starts as a bio of David Starr Jordan. a world-renowned expert on fish, collecting and naming thousands of them. His taxonomic (naming) effort eventually degrades into his promotion of eugenics. Even his peace activism (pre-WWI) is aimed toward the same goals, taking away much ...more
m
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, non-fiction
More like a 3.5 for me.
Melanie Sims
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
SPOILERS AHEAD:

I enjoyed Lulu Millers writing style, and the way she shared her own story, weaving it with that of David Starr Jordan. But, my goodness, I finished the book despising Jordan, and hating that Jordan Hall and the Jordan River on the campus of my alma mater still bear his name. What a terrible and mistaken man. I understand that his story is a cautionary one that we can apply to our own lives and collection of stodgy beliefs, but yeah, f*ck that dude.
Stephen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I wanted to like this more. Miller is a gifted writer and her subject is fascinating, and she does a good job of untangling the various threads that make David Starr Jordan both compelling and fascinating.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the tone of hokey cuteness. (Miller's bio says she is a "frequent contributor to Radiolab, which I find nearly insufferable for this exact tone.) The jokey tone is at best irritating, and at worst, as when the writer refers to a dictator responsible for the
Megan
Emily
Jul 22, 2019

• A Burning
  • Through the Woods
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes, #2)
  • Weather
  • Witchlight
  • Damsel
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
  • The Buddhist on Death Row: How One Man Found Light in the Darkest Place
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • The Falcon Thief: A True Tale of Adventure, Treachery, and the Hunt for the Perfect Bird
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • The Body Under the Piano (Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
Louisa Elizabeth Miller, better known as Lulu Miller, is an American writer, artist, and science reporter for National Public Radio. Miller's career in radio started as a producer for the WNYC program Radiolab. She now co-hosts the NPR show Invisibilia with Alix Spiegel.