Start by marking “A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery, #2)

A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery #2)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"An arresting mystery with a startling finale." Booklist.

A Sister Joan Mystery.

Evil has crept into the peaceful lives of the Daughters of Compassion. At first there are only small signs of its presence. The docility of Sister Joan's pupils at the convent school. The disappearance of holy water and candles from the chapel. The midnight flight of a beautiful au pair from th
Mass Market Paperback, 216 pages
Published April 24th 1993 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Vow of Chastity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vow of Chastity

Damaskcat
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sister Joan is aware that there is something wrong. The children in the small moorland school at which she teaches are being unnaturally well behaved. One of the new comers has written a verse which suggests something evil and there are the usual tensions between the farmers’ children and the Romany children.

Are the small thefts from the convent chapel of daffodils and candles linked in any way to the feeling of evil which people keep mentioning to Sister Joan? When a body appears in the conven
Donna
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Sister Joan pokes into a murder that results in a body left on the altar.

Good thing: The view into convent life was fascinating to me - the quiet, calm, and orderliness of the life sounds like balm to me but the discipline and religion being the end-all, be-all would drive me nuts.

Bad thing: The last fifty pages could be summarized with 'What? That doesn't fit with the rest of the book??'

Nothing much happened for the first half of this book and I enjoyed that part more than the last half. I thin
Elizabeth Bailey
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I jumped on this book after reading the first in the series and it didn't disappoint. Veronica Black is a terrific mystery writer. I just love the setting and the atmosphere. The focus of the story was very different, but still held that wonderful mystique of the nunnery which enchants me somehow. The characters are wonderfully entertaining and the mystery definitely puzzling enough for this aficionado.

I'm saving myself for the next one, so I can make the pleasure last. I don't want to gobble up
Marcella
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book detailing life in an English Convent in the early 1990's blends the religious obligations and social caring of occupants of a Convent in the early 1990's. The book is an easy, clam read with a surprising twist as to the who, when, and where of two murders. I have found that I enjoy this author's style and will go back to read the first book of the series. Definitely would recommend this author and the Sister Joan series. Even though this was a mystery I found the book and style very pe ...more
Megan O'Neill
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The mystery at the heart of the second book in Veronica Black's "Sister Joan" series, featuring the plucky and slightly-out-of-place Sister Joan (naturally!), is one even more unsettling than in A Vow of Silence, and the twists and turns throughout the book are stomach-turning, to be perfectly honest. In a lot of ways, they're brilliantly chosen - throw me off the track completely, and you've done good work! - but at the same time, they're so twisty that it's almost ridiculous. But a quick read ...more
Helen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be formulaic, exposing another heresy affecting people living in a religious community, but the clues led to something darker. I’m enjoying this series and it’s protagonist, Sister Joan.
MaryAnn (EmilyD1037)
I liked this book, a little less than the 1st, but still liked it.
This is my first series from an English (England) author,
so I am learning the "different" words and what they mean
in my English (American).

I am a wanna be "nun" and really enjoy the glimpses into
the religious life. There are some surprises, but most of it
is really the "life". I wondered about her knowledge of
religious life in the first book when she called
a well-known autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
(The Story of a Sou
Mary
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A very pleasant read with a different sort of setting - a convent in rural England. This setting seems well researched and is described in enough detail so that the reader feels at home, but is not bored by too much convent life. The main character is a nun who is a teacher. Her character and those of her fellow nuns are developed nicely. The murder plot takes a while to set up, but has a surprising ending. I will look for more in the series.
Ann James
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok

Half way through and it gets silly. You forget the main character is a nun, given the way she runs around chasing her own impulses. The inconsistencies following on from the previous book were ignored as it's a type of book I'd consider a light-read, but towards the end the reader is suddenly thrown into a sobering topic that was treated with flippancy imo. The combination made for an uncomfortable ending.
Lexi
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Darker than expected, but I'll look for more in this series.
Judith
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Not bad. The nuns are very lifelike and I enjoyed the mystery ending.
Barbara
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this book in '92'. Veronica Black has since written many more which I will be hoping to read in the near future.
Cathy Houston
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
good mystery Sister Jane is a good detective even when she is bound by her convent's rules
Andrea Buschman
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
What's going on with Sister Joan and the good Detective Sergeant? That's the mystery I want to read about.
Helen
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Mystery solved by a nun in Cornwall. A good read.
Beka
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Another interesting mystery with Sister Joan.
Sarah Bolmarcich
Jul 03, 2015
Kasia
Dec 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Maureen Peters was married and divorced twice; she has two sons and two daughters. In addition to the novels written under her own name, which were historical fiction, she also wrote as Veronica Black, Catherine Darby, Belinda Grey, Elizabeth Law, Levanah Lloyd, Judith Rothman, and Sharon Whitby.
“Her novels, which easily number over one hundred, fall into many categories: biographical fiction on
More about Veronica Black...

Sister Joan Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • A Vow of Sanctity (Sister Joan Mystery, #3)
  • A Vow of Obedience (Sister Joan Mystery, #4)
  • A Vow of Penance (Sister Joan Mystery, #5)
  • A Vow of Devotion (Sister Joan Mystery, #6)
  • A Vow of Fidelity (Sister Joan Mystery, #7)
  • A Vow of Poverty (Sister Joan Mystery, #8)
  • A Vow of Adoration (Sister Joan Mystery, #9)
  • A Vow Of Compassion (Sister Joan Mystery, #10)
  • Vow Of Evil (Sister Joan Mystery, #11)