Start by marking “Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)” as Want to Read:
Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)

Cape Storm

(Weather Warden #8)

Check the forecast for the series that's "an addictive force of nature that will suck you in ." (News and Sentinel)

Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin and her new husband, the Djinn David, are running from a malevolent hurricane bent on destroying her. Joined by an army of fellow Wardens and Djinn onboard a hijacked luxury liner, Joanne has lured the storm into furious pursuit.
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published August 4th 2009 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Cape Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape Storm

Start your review of Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)
AH
I think that I started reading the Weather Wardens series about 4 years ago. It's taken me some time to get up to Cape Storm, book 8 in the series because I tend to savor series rather than gorge upon them. If you have not heard of this series, it's quite unique in the urban fantasy genre. There's a group called the Weather Wardens who control the power of storms with the aid of Djinns. The storms have personality, power, and attitude. They even hold a grudge and chase our heroine around.

In thi
Tammy Blackwell
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I love Jo. Really, I do. But this whole thing is stating to wear a little thin for me. I've heard that there is only one more left in the series, and I think that might be best. Because, really, how much can happen to one woman? I'm ready for Jo to get her happily ever after.
Felicia
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers, but I <3 this series. ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve got to give props to Rachel Caine. She isn’t afraid to take this series to places it’s never gone. With the single exception of Bad Bob returning as a villain in the last book, each installment in the Weather Warden series manages to tread new ground as it takes Joanne on an ever changing journey at breakneck speeds.

The last book ended with really bad news for our heroine. She has been branded with a pseudo-demon mark which has left her vulnerable to Bob’s evil influence. And dealing with t
Kogiopsis
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The subjective version of this review is basically: I got exactly what I signed up for and I walked away happy with that.

But after 8 books I have to take a step back and say that, despite the steep trend of improvement from book to book in the first half of the series, the back half is slipping in quality pretty badly. I can't rate this book lower than 3 stars, because I did really enjoy it, but I also can't rate it any higher without feeling like I'm glossing over the sheer messiness of the plo
Seth
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modernfantasy, sf-f-h
This is a nice bit of popcorn that keeps the series from falling apart. Caine is still struggling to find somewhere for the story to go after the basic plotline wrapped up a few books ago, and this doesn't actually drive anything forward, but it does close up some earlier attempts to give the series direction (reviving Bad Bob, the latest demon mark someone has stuck Jo with, etc.) and doesn't mess up the only real directions left to go (the several potential love polygons, the distinctions betw ...more
Rebekah
I love this story, Joanne is a woman's hero with the spirit of the energizer bunny. I can not wait for the next book in the series. I hear that it will be the last, I hope that it has a earth (not apocalyptic) shattering ending that has me looking for that never ending (probably non-existing) rock your socks off, "I would die for you" love that Joanne and David share.
Summer
It's such a saddening thing that I'm almost done with this series. I've yet to read a book in it that I haven't loved. This one was still no different.
Kes
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, fiction
This is a "middle" book - we deal with Jo defeating Bad Bob, and end with Jo meeting the next crisis ((view spoiler). There's one more book to the series after this.

I liked that Greta's aetheric form is a dog. Lots more people die in this book due to natural disasters and the fighting. Our main characters survive, though. I liked that there were plans within plans - (view spoiler)
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cape Storm is book 8 in the Weather Warden series and I would strongly recommend reading the series in order. I think if you tried to read this as a stand alone book you'd probably be missing too much of the back story to get the full enjoyment from the book. I'm really enjoying this urban fantasy series though so I'd definitely recommend checking it out starting with Ill Wind. Although this review won't contain spoilers for Cape Storm it is impossible to review without giving hints to previous ...more
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
Whew! This one took my breath away! It's definitely a favorite of mine within the Weather Warden series! Now I understand the build up in the last two books. It was worth the wait and the cliffhanger endings!

In this installment, a deadly storm is heading for the coast of Florida. It's unlike any the wardens have encountered, controlled by an evil force. To deal with the problem, the wardens and djinn board a cruise ship and head out to sea, knowing that the storm will chase them. Can't tell you
Kira
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
MissM
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
The book starts off almost in mid-sentence. There's no prologue or build-up or getting you back into the books. Just BAM - we're continuing a story already in progress.

While the book was typical Rachel Caine and you plow through it quickly with it's fast pace and interesting, ongoing stories and characters, I felt this one lack some intensity at points. What starts off as the huge, pressing fear - the hurricane - just kind of bobs along for several days as they cruise around the ocean.

Jo's decen
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Been so busy over the past few days I only had time to read in bits and pieces - Having just finished Gale Force you plunge straight back into the story without a chance to breathe.
There were some really interesting scenes in this installment - Lewis's confession and choices, Joanne struggling against Bad Bob's influence and David's fear and fury. Of course there is also non stop action, but the strong emotions almost overshadow it.
Another entertaining read with a suprise ending - looking forwa
Sarah A.
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
EPIC!!!!

This book was so full of surprises, heart wrenching moments, confessions, twists and plots within plots! And we got to see an evil Joanne!

I have to say she played the devil so well I almost hated her! But on the whole, it just was so satisfying and enjoyable and the ending was -as usual- shocking!

I loved every page of this book, it's not an easy thing to find a story that holds your attention and makes you long for more.
I also loved the pirates bit, and the entire cruise theme was a re
Donna
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an action-heavy chapter in the series, but even with the long break I took from these books, it still felt repetitive to watch Joanne and David angst at each other while rushing from crisis to crisis.

I liked the interactions with the ship's crew and passengers, those moments were a nice reminder that the setting holds more than Wardens, Djinn, and world-shattering evil. I also liked the pirates. I was uninterested in Jo's wishy-washy turn to darkness, that whole twist was dulled by the
Angela Oliver
I've been going pretty hardcore on this series, and I feel with this book that my attention is starting to wane somewhat. Maybe it's the premise - although having it set on a cruise ship is actually kinda nifty. Maybe it's just that the whole black mark, evil Joanne thing bugged me a bit. Who knows. As I neared the end, was trying to decide whether to plunge straight into Total Eclipse or pause for a breath of fresh air.

I plunged right in. So I guess I'm still addicted!
Gillian Murrell
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
One more book to go which I think is a good thing as its getting a bit repetitive. Jo is not such an interesting character when the demon mark starts to take over she just does not do evil well at all.
Bad Bob is back and intent on taking over the world. The wardens and the djinn take the fight wiht Bad Bob to the high sea's on a luxury cruise liner.
Joy
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once more lots of people die and the Hero gets the stuffin' kicked out of her. Once more book to go. I am so burned on good, epic fantasy. I hope I can find something to challenge my taste once I've finished this lightweight marathon. Might be forced to read something 'serious'.
Taylor Mortsolf
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book was good, lots of action and drama, I thought the ending was good if that was going to be the last book in the series but now on to the last and see how the author will end this series.
Brian
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
good but some of the earlier ones were better. It's becoming a bit formulaic.
Siobhan Mackie
Joanne Baldwin is a weather warden; one of an elite group of people with unique abilities: the ability to control weather. Jo and David, a conduit Djinn who controls the 'new' Djinn, were ripped apart before they could perform their wedding vows, and pushed onto a cruise ship in the hope of drawing a hurricane away from the mainland. The Mark on Jo is getting bigger and more powerful, as is Big Bob, the man who put it there. In a showdown between Bob and the Wardens, who will get the upper hand? ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Full Review Link

I should preface this review by saying again that I am an enormous Rachel Caine fangirl. The Weather Warden series is one of my all time favorites for its empathetic heroine, the palpable danger that leaps off each page, the romantic entanglements, and most of all for the incredible world-building. And, as each book ends on a cliffhanger, my expectations for each novel are always of the highest order – and somehow Ms. Caine manages to deliver time and time again. And book 8 in th
Piroska
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a while the books are kinda the same. When I picked up the book after a day and they were just after a fight I immediately thought "gosh, which one was it?". Still good and I liked the idea of the ship and Bad Bob was a nice touch. I can't really recall that his role in Joanne's life was as great as this book makes it out to be, but whatever.
Patrice Gotting
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Millin
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never have any idea where these books are going to go, which is what I think makes them so gripping. Rachel Caine keeps throwing everything at Joanne, David and Lewis, and they just keep on fighting back.
Mandy Beyers
Exciting, but oh, how these characters are constantly being tormented by the author! Can't Jo and David catch a break?
Vicky
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Giving up on this series
Tracy Smyth
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good read. Really enjoying this series
Gemma
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was good book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
SOS: Serious Over...: January Buddy Read - Cape Storm by Rachel Caine 54 67 Jan 27, 2013 03:16PM

• Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Halfway There (Midlife Mulligan #1)
  • Fantastic Hope
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • Who's Midlife Crisis Is It Anyway? (Good To The Last Death, #2)
  • Winter Grave (Embla Nyström, #2)
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Fire, Fog and Water (Sgt. Windflower Mystery #8)
  • Calamity at Harwood (Thomas Littlejohn #7)
  • It's A Wonderful Midlife Crisis (Good To The Last Death, #1)
  • Code Blues (Hope Sze Medical Mystery, #1)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Sting (Nava Katz, #2)
  • Black Water (Jane Yellowrock #6.3, #0.3, #7.5 )
  • Starbreaker (Endeavor, #2)

Weather Warden (9 books)
  • Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)
  • Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Windfall (Weather Warden, #4)
  • Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)
  • Thin Air (Weather Warden, #6)
  • Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)
  • Total Eclipse (Weather Warden, #9)