Start by marking “The Perfect Escape” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Escape

The Perfect Escape

(The Perfect Escape #1)

Nate Jae-Woo Kim wants to be rich. When one of his classmates offers Nate a ridiculous amount of money to commit grade fraud, he knows that taking the windfall would help support his prideful Korean family, but is compromising his integrity worth it?

Luck comes in the form of Kate Anderson, Nate’s colleague at the zombie-themed escape room where he works. She approaches Na
Published April 7th 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Escape, please sign up.
Suzanne Park I don't want to give too much away, but yes, there are characters playing zombies in the escape room, and later there's a zombie survival competition.…moreI don't want to give too much away, but yes, there are characters playing zombies in the escape room, and later there's a zombie survival competition. I wouldn't categorize either the escape room zombies or the competition zombies as "real" though? I hope this helps. It's definitely a comedy that is zombie themed :)(less)
Suzanne Park Hi! It's an Asian male/white female pairing in this book. Nate is Korean-American and he's the main/primary character.

Start your review of The Perfect Escape
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so much fun! I do wish it had a little more to do with the actual escape room that they worked at since that was what really pulled me into it in the first place, but I still had a blast reading this and I really enjoyed the obvious chemistry between the main characters. One side-note I do want to give is that I read this via a mix of physical reading and audiobook listening, and I VASTLY preferred physically reading it. I was not a fan of the male narrator and it kept pulling me out of ...more
Helen Hoang
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Suzanne Park is effortlessly hilarious, and her characters are super lovable. My favorite is Nate, he's swoony but so relatable as an Asian American lead. His family members are also written with great care and humor, and his little sister is the cutest thing. Kate's struggles with her dad really spoke to me, so if anyone has daddy troubles, this book might be for you...

I hope this is the YA romcom of 2020. It was sweet, funny, and yeah, it warmed my broken heart. I can't wait
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmm… I think this amazing cover and the interesting plot giving you lovely rom-com vibes fooled me so hard! Was I waiting for another Hungry Games competition and MCs falling in love with each other during their now and never kind of struggling survival situation? Okay, maybe I expected something like that, jusssttt a little.

But here we go: I found a lot of creative, enjoyable, unique things about this book starting with characters’ different kind of dysfunctional family relationships. I enjoy
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I'm going to be brutally honest here, I really was excited about reading this. I mean a rom-com with zombies, what's not to love right?

I did like this and it was, at times, a pretty cute story with a few funny moments but overall, the romance was..well, not really a romance with very little spark between the main couple. There were friends (sort of first) and even by the end, still (sort of friends). The relationship felt stilted at times and not at all what I would have expected from a book cla
Corina
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m honest here, the blurb and the cover drew me in, but unfortunately the plot didn’t deliver.

This debut novel, needed some polishing and some more editing. Marketed as a rom-com, I was missing the fun aspect of it. The writing wasn’t funny, the dialogues weren’t funny and the overall plot wasn’t funny either.

On top of it, the romance felt lackluster, since the couple had no real chemistry. The plot had holes, and the sub plots were rather unbelievable. Additionally the plot was actually a bit
Suzanne Park
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I highly recommend this book.
Jen Ryland
I may be one of the few people who was happy that this book had fewer zombies than expected!

Like many, I went into this expecting a swoony zombie rom com and got something more like an issue-driven contemporary YA with a slight romance. I didn't mind!

To me this was primarily a book about two kids with problematic families. Kate is pretty much ignored by her tech-titan father, who parents her through technology. Nate is a scholarship student who dreams of being rich (exactly like Kate's father).
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I received an ARC from Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review.

I'm always going to be supportive of asian authors because god knows we need more asian representation in all genres. I was super excited for Suzanne to debut this year with not only one book but two books in two genres that I adore and love. I was super excited walking into The Perfect Escape but after hearing thoughts of this one from friends who read it before me...I was hesitant.

This book is definitely not as romantic
Fanna
April 25, 2020: This was one of the cutest rom-coms I've ever read! It not only made me crave some genuine romance in my life but also made my cry for not having a big brother though I understand that romance & brother in the same sentence is super fucking weird. Now all I need to do is refocus my energy into finding a Ravenclaw like Nate for the Slytherin like Kate in me.

April 10, 2020: Not reading my eARCs on time has become my personality but I can never forgive myself for not picking up this
Kate (GirlReading)
Did this have the potential to be something incredible? Yes. Did it reach that potential? Sadly not for me but despite this, combining a zombie apocalypse survival competition with a rom-com was always going to be my jam.

Yes, the plot and pacing were admittedly a little all over the place (we had robots, zombies, wilderness survival and The Hunger Games type sabotage all in a contemporary setting. Yet, the zombie escape room barely featured and the competition kind of came and went in a flash)
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Both Nate and Kate were looking to escape. Nate was weighed down by his economic circumstances. While Kate, needed to break free from the prison her emotionally unavailable and controlling father had created for her. A zombie survival competition might have been just the solution they were looking for.

• Pro: Nate was a character, who was easy to root for. I admired his drive and ambition, and though at first, he seemed obsessed with money, I learned that he had good intentions as more was reveal
Nursebookie
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness guys, The Perfect Escape was the best read that I needed - it is a hysterical read, has a zombie apocalypse themed survival game, and a romance that will make your heart swoon!

Nate Jae-Woo Kim is a scholarship student in one of the top exclusive high schools in Seattle, where students end up in Ivy League. With big dreams, Nate spent a lifetime planning in becoming the perfect college applicant - high GPA, AP classes, sports, and even a part-time job on the side to save some money
Stacee
DNF on page 65

I had heard so many great things about this book and several authors have been praising it and I was just so excited to settle into what sounded like the most adorable rom-com ever.

Sadly, the few pages I read were a struggle. I couldn’t settle into either POV because they sounded similar, even though the MCs were so different.

I skimmed a bit here and there and then dove into the already posted reviews and from what I’m seeing there {parental abuse, no actual romance, the zombie co
Sarah Henning
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Park’s THE PERFECT ESCAPE is the hilarious tale of two snarky teens hoping  to fund their wildest dreams in the most convenient way available: via windfall from a good, old-fashioned zombie-whooping competition. Tech-brainiac Nate and wannabe-actress Kate will win your hearts (and maybe each other’s) as they conquer the undead, their well-meaning but clueless parents, and their disagreement over the virtues of mayo-based products. THE PERFECT ESCAPE is indeed the perfect escape from, wel ...more
Miss Kitten’s Corner
3 cute enjoyment stars!

It was never my intention to read this book. I never even heard of this book until I came across featured audiobooks section of Hoopla on my iPhone. I was pulled by the cover and from that point on, I read this book from start to finish.

I will admit that this was out of my norm of romance I like to read but damn, I still enjoyed this book. It was cute and most of these characters were witty including the side characters. It lost two stars of the simple fact that the fir
Emma
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Even after sleeping on The Perfect Escape, I'm still not really sure what to make of this one. The blurb describes it as a rom-com but this felt more like a contemporary YA + Black Mirror mashup. I was also a little irked that the survival competition mentioned in the description is such a small part of the actual story.

Nate and Kate were both...fine... as main characters. They each had interesting backstories (that wildly fluctuated in believability) but seemed like they were missing something
Madison Mary
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
"This was a lot of money on the table. It was shady. It was wrong. But it was tempting."

A fun debut about two teens trying to escape their own problems and falling in love in the process.

SUMMARY
When Nate Kim is propositioned by his classmates to botch his GPA to help them get into college for a substantial sum, he considers it. The money would be a big help to his family, but would it be worth the risk?

Kate Anderson is the daughter of a rich tech mogul, who is overly controlling and tracks e
gaby
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars !!

The Perfect Escape wasn't a bad book. I didn't suffer through it, it wasn't all that painful, but it's definitely not that rememberable. It was a cute little rom-com, and honestly nothing more.

The Perfect Escape follows the story of Nate and Kate (adorable ik), who begin to work at a zombie escape room. Both desperate for money, Kate enlists Nate to participate with her in a zombie survivalist competition.

The biggest fault this book had was its characters: I felt as if they were s
jessica
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
this is a cute story and i think the idea of the plot is uniquely fun and adventurously flirty, but i am not quite sure this story reaches its full potential.

i would consider this a good starting point for a debut novel. the writing isnt terrible, the story has good pacing, and the characters are relatable. i just think there is a lot of room for SP to grow as an author when it comes to finalising details and the overall polishing of the story.

for example, if you pitch your story as a rom-com,
Amy
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
In these super weird times I’m finding comfort in a variety of genres and reading YA romance again is reminding me of just how fun it can be. There’s something soothing to me about reading a somewhat predictable rom com right now, it’s helping me keep my mind occupied and providing me with an entertaining escape and this one surely did that for me!

The thing I loved the most about this one was that while it was adorable it was also quirky and awkward which is quite a great combination in my opini
Deidra
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I've been in the mood for contemporary romance, and it was one of the planned buddy reads this month. I liked the basic storyline of the two teens that meet in an escape room while they both have some things they want to escape from in their own lives. Kate wants to escape the tyranny of her father and his prison of tech. Nate wants to escape his family's poor lifestyle. Together they come up with a plan that could make both of those escapes happen.

I like Kate a lot. Sh
Bree Hill
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
The saving grace for me with The Perfect Escape was the hero Nate, if I wasn’t rooting for him and invested in him, I probably would’ve DNF’d this book. As much as I wanted to be interested in Kate, the heroine, I just didn’t connect with her-probably because her part of the story brought with it some unbelievable aspects of the book; basically raised by a robot?
This book is advertised as a YA-Rom-Com and I’m still trying to figure out where that comes from..so the teens cuss and some of the dia
A.S.
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute! Great audiobook narration, too. Would definitely recommend for someone looking for a light, fun love story.
Marie
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)
Diversity: Korean-American main character.

Fun, entertaining and deeply endearing, The Perfect Escape made me smile a whole damn lot and I definitely recommend it! :)

Read my full review of The Perfect Escape on the blog!

Thank you to the publisher & NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jul 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
please rec me all the Korean/Korean-American YA books y'all know of PLEASE
Dylan
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm usually not one for YA contemporaries, but this sounds ~ adorable.
Darla
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me, or did the rest of you have that song by the Cranberries "in your head" after reading this new YA rom-com? The narrative is split into two POVs: one for Nate and one for Kate. They meet while working part-time jobs at a zombie escape room, which to me sounds too stressful to be fun. Both feel trapped by some aspect of their lives and decide that the prize from an upcoming survivalist event will provide the cash they need to achieve their goals. Their budding romance is sweet and c ...more
Karen (idleutopia_reads)
I read YA as a nod to my teenage self. I love that these types of books exist now, and I want to indulge my past self’s reading desires. The Perfect Escape by Suzanne Park introduces us to Nate Jae-Woo Kim, a child of Korean immigrants, called a skid (scholarship kid) at his prestigious school,  working at a zombie-themed escape room as a guide and Kate Anderson, the daughter of a tech CEO. Kate’s father basically left his parenting duties after his wife’s death to a robot named Jeeves.

She is n
Ale
Jul 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020, ebooks
I was really excited for this book but unfortunately I was very disappointed, the plot was interesting and something I’ve never seen before but I feel it wasn’t elaborated properly, most of the time I was bored.
Whitney Schneider
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Puts the COM in rom-com!

This book is hilarious! Nate and Kate are such likable characters as they get to know each other (and themselves) while prepping for a zombie survivalist competition. Nate’s relationship with his family and adorable little sister is heartwarming and realistic. It’s a perfect contrast to Kate’s broken relationship with her father and his over-the-top, but understandable, concerns for her safety. Suzanne Park did an amazing job of getting me to root for each character, whil

• What I Like About You
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
  • You Say It First
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • By the Book
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • The Girl Who Lived
  • Love, Unscripted
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • The Oracle Code
  • The Voting Booth
  • I'll Be the One
  • Regretting You
Suzanne Park is a Korean-American writer who was born and raised in Tennessee. In her former life as a stand-up comedian, she was a finalist in the Oxygen Network's "Girls Behaving Badly" talent search, and appeared on BET's "Coming to the Stage." Suzanne was also the winner of the Seattle Sierra Mist Comedy Competition, and was a semi-finalist in NBC's "Stand Up For Diversity" showcase in San Fra ...more

Articles featuring this book

Recent events have been especially tough on debut authors, with bookstores closed and book tours canceled. So we're rounding up a list of hit...