Start by marking “Whispers in the Canyon (Donovan Family Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Whispers in the Canyon (Donovan Family Saga #1)

Whispers in the Canyon

(Donovan Family Saga #1)

A valiant young woman haunted by abuse.
The empathic Irish immigrant determined to help her.
The tragic secret that stands between them.

Shunned by the village for her outlaw brother's deeds, Jesse Travers is not sorry to hear he's been killed while robbing a bank. Strangely enough it’s Adam Donovan, the man who shot him, who brings her the news.

Traumatized by years of abu
Published September 18th 2019 by Soul Mate Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Whispers in the Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers in the Canyon

Start your review of Whispers in the Canyon (Donovan Family Saga #1)
Brenda Moser
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written historical western set in the late 1800's Arizona. The author brings a cast of strong characters centering around Jesse and Adam. She does a great job building the story and pulled me in from page one to the last. She does a fantastic job painting her scenes ,taking you back to the day with her detailed and descriptive writing. She brings some strong issues and handles them well ,showing all the emotions along the way. I loved this story and would highly recommend reading. ...more
Tanya
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
There were parts of this story that were really well written and had brought tears to my eyes. Characters experienced real trauma and their continued fight to live despite the barriers they faced was touching.

I did enjoy this story but there were some parts that went on a little long and the ending was not as satisfying as I had hoped. Yes, admittedly, I like happy endings. This one was not a sad ending...it had hope... but I wanted more.

If you like historical western romances this book has po
Pam
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Have you ever been to a new friend's house and fell in love with their family and wished they were yours (sorry Mom and Dad!)? That's what this book did for me. This large, close-knit family overflowed with love, humor, empathy, loyalty and more.

Author MacShane not only gives us a wonderful character-driven story based with characters to root for, but tackles difficult topics like physical and sexual abuse with a sensitive touch based on emotional reaction rather tha
Jean Holtof
Oct 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A very well written story. A saga with all the elements of drama and social interactions that are sometimes brutal and sometimes heartwarming. Jesse Travers is a survivor and a woman who is dealt a very tough hand in life until she encounters Adam Donovan who is immediately drawn to her beauty and feisty manner. The Donovan family is an amazing mix of personalities, strong, persistent in the face of hardship, and loyal to a fault to their family members. A wonderful portrayal of human tenacity i ...more
Ingrid Vermeulen-Quakernaat
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A long story without getting boring or collapsing somewhere.
A story with a lot of pain, regret, shame but also with redemption and a lot of love from all sides.
A story in which a lot of emotion is given a place, a story that starts from a protagonist but also from a family and its values.

A great story about Jesse who remains alone after her brother is killed and her father dies. She has endured a lot since childhood but was never broken. Adam who respects her and loves her unconditionally, but b
Maital
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
As far as historical romances go, this one stood out in a few ways. First of all, the family dynamic is so special and highly enjoyable to witness. Second, I absolutely adored the female friendships in this book! In a lot of romances, women are pitted against each other as rivals, but there's so much support and understanding in these relationships.
No spoilers, but another interesting thing is that the main villain is almost internal as opposed to external. This structure is unique for romances
Jess Workman
May 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
A feel good, wholesome story about a young girl deep in the canyons of Arizona. Jesse’s life has been tragedy after tragedy. Failed to be protected by the ones she’s loved the most she must figure out a way to survive.

Jesse meets Adam in the most unlikely of ways. With his stoic patience he becomes her lifeline in the dark.

Author Gifford MacShane writes a compelling, well written story about love conquering all. Deeply rooted in Irish traditions, this book makes you remember the unwavering lov
MC Krueger
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The characters roped you in and made you feel all the feels. It broke my heart and made me smile. Many different emotions throughout and the story captivated your attention. The editing was on point. I only noticed one oops throughout the whole thing. 4 stars. Would have given 5 stars but I was hoping for a more indepth ending. Overall it was a good read. Will read this author again. I received a copy of this book via Vorocious Readers Group and this is my honest o ...more
Barbara Thompson
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whispers in the Canyon held my attention from the very beginning. The author wrote a storyline that made me feel I was involved and knew each character. Each character was fabulous and unique in each of their parts. I enjoyed reading Author Gifford MacShane's book and I'm sure others would also enjoy reading Whispers in the Canyon.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only. This review is one hundred percent my opinion.
Barbara
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of an Irish family and everything they go through it is an emotional story that I found I had to have a tissue close by. Adam Donovan is a man who feels deeply, but does not know how to let others in when he needs them. He marries Jesse Travers they will have a lot to overcome. This is a new Author to me. I recommend this book. I received a copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Rhonda
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is not just a romance but a story of deep enduring love that is tested by doubts and fears. You are able to get to know all the characters due to their thoughts and interactions with others. The Donovans are a loving, caring family. I hope there will be future books about them.
Victoria Gale
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking. A fabulous story of human struggle and how love can help us heal from life’s deepest troubles. I felt every range of emotion reading this book, love, joy, hope, grief, anger. I felt a part of the family and felt myself missing them when the book was finished. Utterly perfect and definitely a book I will be revisiting again and again.
R.L.S.
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Western Love

Jesse has been deeply hurt by her family. She's been gossiped about and neglected by her neighbors. But when Adam Donovan has to deliver news of her brother's death, he falls in love...and everything changes.

A bit slow moving, but very sweet. I like the excellent characters and the family/small town drama.
Kat Marie
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Love this story. Excellent characters that you can’t help but fall in love with them. I went through the full range of emotions with this one. Truly a great story!

Ali
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book with a capital L. The story and characters are filled with so much love i can't imagine anyone could feel any differently. It brought me to tears more than once and I will look forward to discovering more from this author. ...more
Eileen Kindschy
Jul 18, 2020 is currently reading it
I was really absorbed in the characters. I enjoyed the book, but the end was an anticlimax.
Emelia
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
RTC
K.D. Bissonette
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book received from Voracious Readers Only. This was a beautiful and touching story filled with a family people would cherish!
Sherrie Gallegos
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Sadness, hope, love and family.
Lois Weaver
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Late night read

Like the wonderful love felt between the family. How each one though different melded into the family and the story. How love was shared and held I to.
Mary Yarde
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"I didn't want to kill him..."

But Russell Travers had already shot one man while he attempted to rob The White's Station Bank, how many more would he have shot if Adam Donovan had not stopped him? Nevertheless, it does not take anything away from the fact that Adam killed a man, and now he has to break the news to Russell's ailing father and wayward sister.

The dilapidated state of the Travers' ranch comes as a surprise to Adam, as does the scrap of the girl who threatens him with a dirty Whitwor
N.L. LaFoille
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
While Whispers in the Canyon is a romance, I was impressed as much by the thread of family that tied everything together. The Donovan clan is a big Irish family and every personality is unique and has their special place within the family dynamic.

The book is a very soft, sweet, character-driven narrative, so the pace can be a little slow, but I liked that about it. While poor Jesse is really put through the wringer (poor, poor Jesse!!!), her strength of spirit and the support of the Donovans ca
Mary Higginson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different historical romance.

To me this book is an elegy to times past and the people who pioneered them. It is an elegy and a love story for the old country and the new. Deceptively simple and poetic it tells the tale of the Donovan family, in particular Adam Donovan and the love of his life, Jesse Travers.

Immigrants from Ireland, the Donovans have settled in the United States and made a good life for themselves. They are a large family filled with different characters and a great love for on
Genevieve
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story about how one family comes to love a young woman through all of her hurt and pain caused by her brother. One man sees her for who she truly is, a loving kind soul who just wants to be loved in return.
This book will make you laugh and cry and even a little angry, but in the end it is all worth the read.
Melissa
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given this book to review by Voracious Readers.

For the most part I enjoyed this book and the characters. The writing was very detailed and descriptive.

The story itself could have been a bit shorter and it seems to end abruptly. I had to reopen the book to see if it actually ended or if my reader glitched out
Liz
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Complimentary copy of this book was received through Voracious Readers Only

I enjoyed this historical romance because of the big Irish family and their unconditional love for each other. It was a little mushy but not nauseatingly so.
Noreen Bennett
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable story about love, family, sadness and hardships in the 1800's. Although I felt this story was somewhat drawn out ...more
Virginia Yep
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A mixture of Irish and the Old West, tells a tale of love and heartbreak. Definately worth the read
Annette Cherry
Oct 21, 2021
Lamar
Oct 25, 2021

• Finding Travis
  • Ropin' the Moon
  • Auctioned Virginity (Urban Mafia Kings #1)
  • Libertine: A regency historical romance
  • Carol's Christmas (Romancing the Spirit, #7)
  • Makin' Bacon (The Homegrown Café Book Club, #1)
  • Of Course, Cutie
  • The Great London Conspiracy
  • Hexes & Hot Flashes (The Oracle of Wynter #1)
  • Cowboy's Retreat (Fated to Cowboy, #3)
  • Back to You (You, #1)
  • Never Date a Doctor (Life Lessons #1)
  • A Second Chance for Justiss
  • Beneath Our Skin
  • The Faith of a Bride (Women of Faith, #0.5)
  • The It Girl Wears an XL (The Curvy It Girl #1)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1, Callahan & McLane, #5)
Gifford MacShane is the author of historical fiction that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit.

Her novels feature a family of Irish immigrants who settle in the Arizona TerritoryWith an accessible literary style, MacShane draws out her characters' hidden flaws and strengths as they grapple with both physical and emotional conflicts.

Singing almost before she could talk, MacShane has alwa

Donovan Family Saga (4 books)
  • The Winds of Morning (Donovan Family Saga Prequel)
  • The Woodsman's Rose (Donovan Family Saga #2)
  • Rainbow Man (Donovan Family Saga #3)

News & Interviews

It's almost November, which can mean only one thing in the writing community: It's time to get ready for National Novel Writing...