Start by marking “A Chip on Her Shoulder (Magical Romantic Comedies, #11)” as Want to Read:
A Chip on Her Shoulder (Magical Romantic Comedies, #11)

A Chip on Her Shoulder

(Magical Romantic Comedies #11)

After a deal with loan sharks sours, Darlene’s brother is permanently transformed into a chipmunk. Not one to accept impossibility as a good excuse for failure, she’s determined to rescue her brother and secure revenge against those who’d poisoned him with grade-a transformatives.

If she wants to perform a miracle, she’ll need to join forces with a divine, but the man ups
Published September 1st 2020 by Pen & Page Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Chip on Her Shoulder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Chip on Her Shoulder

Start your review of A Chip on Her Shoulder (Magical Romantic Comedies, #11)
Natalie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Satin has been one of my favourite characters in the series, so I’d been looking forward to seeing how it all starts. This one was fun and violent. Darlene is a firecracker with an explosive temper, no nonsense attitude and is as good as she is evil. I can see why Satin likes messing with people so much. Nice to see how the stories connect.
Cory Cravens
Shelves: supernatural
I dont know where to start. I loved this book. What does a person do when her brother is unfairly turned into a chipmunk? Vengeance sounds nice! Now how to go about it? I know lets go to hell and take over, so the devil will have to help you. This book is nonstop hilarity and hijinks and I know you'll enjoy it! Oh, and there are spots, lots of spots! ...more
Karen Roy
Sep 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Save your money

Not very good, formulaic and similar to her other books. The author repeats dialogue too often to sustain interest, save your money.
Cindy
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s another great read from R. J. Blain who consistently delivers fun, action-based plots filled with great characters and snarky dialogue.

The heroine is Darlene. She has a bit part in ‘Whatever For Hire’ and a supporting role in ‘Grave Humor’ and now, in ‘Chip On Her Shoulder’, she’s the star. And wow, what a part! When her brother is forcefully changed into a chipmunk by very sleazy mafia types – what’s a girl to do? Get him fixed and then take out the low life scum who did it – it may be ve
Jessica Robbins
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle

This is my first foray into this authors work but I can guarantee it won't be the last. Darlene is hilarious and so much fun to follow. We start with her being forced to watch some mafia thugs transform her brother into a chipmunk. This so makes her angry as well as determined to fix it. In this world of angels and demons it just might be possible which is when she becomes a force to be reckoned with. Sh
Kathryn
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the latest entry in Ms. Blain’s series A Magical Romantic Comedy (with a body count). It tells the story of how Satin met Darlene, and she overcame him by using her spots advantageously. It is a fun story of family: Darlene wants revenge for some goons who turned her brother into a chipmunk. Satin’s brothers get involved. We meet Kanika when she is but a wee babe. This story stands alone, but if you are not familiar with the series it is a good place to start.
Darlene is witty and devious
Michelle Johnson
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it

This book might just be my favorite so far. I love Darlene. Her can do and I will survive attitude is great. It is a definite read
Annalise
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did not finish

I spent about a week trying to read this book and only made it a little ove half way before I gave up. The dialog was just way to repetitive and sometimes it felt out of sequence with in itself. Things that could have just been described in the moment were talked about before hand which also ruined the scene. I feel like this book has so much potential just to be let down by wierd, boring dialogue. Dont waste your money like me.
Lauren Allen
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
All banter no movement

It starts great, with a rocking female lead and an interesting plot. Unfortunately it descends, as many of this authors books lately, into a book that is all talk no action. The talk is witty, but by the time you are half way through you want to kill the next person to say spots. And talk is all they do. Background characters in around, in the background, completing plot objectives while the main characters exchange amusing banter. It is frustrating. It goes from great to b
Jules
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Am I missing something? I thought this was awful, poor quality writing and utterly boring from a few pages in. All repetitive dialogue that’s supposed to be funny banter but no-one really talks like this. It reads like a 12-year old writing fan fiction. So disappointing, I resent the money and time I spent on this.
Elizabeth
Love Darlene.

She is so justifiably ruthless, with hints of softness. Soft that even she didn't think she had. And her interactions with Satin are hilarious. Here he's
not quite the instigator that he is in later books, this is definitely Darlene's show. Of course his brothers get involved too.

From events and clues dropped this is one of the chronologically earlier Rom Coms. But you don't need to have read others in the Rom Com world to enjoy this. If you have, it does start to fill in some bac
Sandra
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Satin in this series, and it was wonderful to get some of his backstory & how Darlene & her iced coffees are so important. Archangels Michael & Gabriel are just as naughty as before.

Darlene is extremely angry that the Mafia change her brother permanently into a chipmunk, right in front of her, with a gun to her head. The only way to get him back is with the help of a Divine. Darlene is focused on saving her brother and revenge against the bad Mafia dudes and also Satin's nipples!

Plots wit
Amber
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars due to thwarted expectations
I'm not gonna lie, it loses points for costing as much as one of the full stories in the series and delivering less. Even if it's new release pricing it's contextually too high (based on how the author has priced the other stories and shorts in the series). The price set expectations the story couldn't fill, that's why I specified that it was *contextually* too high and not just too $$$.
On to the story.
If you've read any other stories in this series you'll
AB
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This review and more on my blog I Wish I Owned A Bookstore

Thank you to Giselle from Xpresso Book Tours for letting me join the tour and for providing me a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall Thoughts:
Actual rating: 2.5 stars, this book wasn't really for me, and was not what I expected. I went into it thinking I was getting a typical Urban Fantasy with lots of action and magic and ass-kicking. It wasn’t. It was, as described, a magical romantic comedy. Unfortunately th
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

Darlene, a hybrid human/animal shifter, seeks revenge for thugs turning her brother, Jonas, into a chipmunk. She goes through the proper channels to seek aid from the angels, but they tell her they do not have the ability to do so, but a favor for a favor and they will tell her who can turn him back into humanoid form. She agrees and discovers that it's the Devil who can do it; so she decides to take over Hell to get her revenge. The Devil falls in love at first sight of her spots
Sharon
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Devil has met his match. Her name is Darlene and she is determined to rule Hell (for an agreed upon time) to get revenge on her asshole brother’s unlucky transformation…to a chipmunk.

I can’t believe this is my first book by R.J. Blain. Where has she been all my life? I’m still laughing at Darlene’s cheeky takeover of Hell.

Who wouldn’t love Darlene? She is the ultimate kickass queen to the spoiled, whiny, sexually repressed Lucifer. The witty repartee between them is priceless! And the headl
Mwanderer79
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was highly entertaining and humorous. The internal dialogue with the protagonist is very appealing. And of course the whole situation is preposterous however, the author does a fine job of leading you along until the very end. Much like the protagonist and the supporting characters you can't quite believe that you ended up in this situation.

There was only place where I felt like the story was dragging and moreover could've been done in a better way, but perhaps that would've required
Angelique
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yeah – there is no other way to say this.

I LOVED this book. I loved the story. I loved the FMC and come on… I loved the Devil. And of course I really loved the chipmunk.

From the beginning Ms Blain had me hooked to the story. There were times when things were a little confusing and felt like it was a bit up in the air but the characters and the story line was of such epic uniqueness that I could honestly look right past it and read the entire book in one sitting.

Darlene is a really strong charact
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Satin has been a love of mine since he first showed up. A Chip On Her Shoulder gives us the irresistible Satin as well as his hilarious and beautiful Darlene. Meeting Lucifer in previous books, I knew his wife HAD to be full of sass and wit. She is and so much more.

I loved getting to see the beginning of them as well as a few characters we know and love. RJ Blain connected so many pieces we didn't know we needed or wanted.

I laughed so hard I cried at many places in this book and couldn't have
Meg
May 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2021
Whilst I enjoyed the origins of Satin and Darlene, this was probably my least favourite book in this series so far. If it had been the first book I'd picked up, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the rest of the series.

I found certain phrases to be a bit too repetitive, which caused the plot to drag for me, and as a result was merely read not devoured.
It did pick up, and I do already like the main characters having come across them in other books, so that is why I've given it 3 stars instea
Cryogenic Fire
Pure, escapist fun

I've been looking forward to this book since the author teased us with the notion of its creation in her Facebook group, and boy was it worth the wait. Satin Blabbermouth McSmarty Liar Pants (name from Whatever For Hire), is possibly one of my favourite characters in the Magical Romantic Comedy (with a a body count) universe, and this story of how he meets his wife, the wonderfully sassy, snarky, feisty and delightfully wicked and violent Darlene is pure, unadulterated joy.

Nikita Bachhas
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whatever for Hire has been my most favorite book in this series so far, but I have to admit this took my standards even higher! It was exciting and so tantalizing. I want more of Lucifer and Darlene. If you like a crazy amazing heroine hell bent on revenge with crazy going on everywhere in her life, this book would be right up your alley. It was page after page of intense drama...I couldn't stop flipping. Damn RJ Blain, you better up your game...I doubt I will ever love any book as much as I lov ...more
Anita
I stopped reading 1/4 in because the writing was terrible. I keep giving this author chances because a few of her books are truly funny (and it's hard to find funny fantasy), but she keeps committing the cardinal sin of telling instead of showing. She will even actively SKIP showing action and just recount that it happened in the next dialogue. And unfortunately, her dialogue repeats the exact same idea up to half a dozen times, in a row! She desperately needs an editor with a big, red pen. It's ...more
Gail
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fan-flipping-tastic!!

Oh my, talk about having to stuff my face into a pillow so I didn't wake hubster, whilst snickering like a maniac.

This book has awesome characters.

Darlene is a woman I'd love to have as a bestie 😂😂 she's awesome! Taking over Hell AND The Devil 😂😂😂 She's not giving him a chance to say no, to anything.

Lucifer as a spot obsessed in love Devil had me rocking.

I've seen his 'nice' side in several of the books, but he'll say he wasn't!

I love asshat Angels, they are naughty.

Just fab
Adena Lee
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Several axioms went through my mind as I read this. "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" and "hell has no fury like a woman scorned" are two of them and boy, do they fit. This was a hilarious romp replete with mafia, demons and angels facing off a truly outraged woman, carefully disguising a serious consideration of whether doing bad things for good ends is morally defensible. I loved this novel! ...more
Bryan Monson
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the MRC (wabc) World

A couple of things about this being my favorite in these novels is that Angels and Demons are treated more as family and each having roles to play; each according to their nature. There is less about the antagonists and more about the main characters and their interactions with each other. Many books in this genre have lots of death, murder, sorrow, and grief. This doesn't have those things and that is what really makes it enjoyable to me.
Diana Gagliardi
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy Hell,

Are rambling romp with the devil in all his levels of Hell was just what a girl needed, especially after a Mafioso turned her brother into a chipmunk. Darlene made a deal with an archangel to storm the gates of Hell in order to get revenge and save her brother but who knew she would!d fall in love? A cheeky tale of revenge, love, and lust which will keep you entertained.
Samanda
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Devil You Say

Darlene Esmaranda has had One of Those Days. Bad enough that Jonas, her only sibling, has borrowed money from loan sharks - & hasn't repaid the 'loan'. Worse was when those goons kidnapped oher then put a gun to her head so she'd have to watch as Jonas was forced to swallow something that permanently transformed him into a chipmunk. The worst part: she's decided to go to the cops for help in getting her revenge: using the court-provided angel, she's decided to storm Hell itself!
Aditi
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Kris England
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining read. I do love this authors writing style. Main characters are funny, sarcastic and get into twisty plots lol. This book ties some previous books into it, even though it is more of a precursor to this stories. Get ready for angels and devils to run around at the direction of the heroine.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Taken (Royal States  #1.5)
  • Dirty Deeds: An Urban Fantasy Collection
  • The Dawn of Dae (Dae Portals, #1)
  • The Run Around
  • Cold Flame (Royal States, #7)
  • Dragons Don't Eat Meat (Valkyrie Bestiary #1)
  • Possession on the First (An Obscure Magic, #10)
  • Three Half Goats Gruff (Valkyrie Bestiary #0.5)
  • Open Haunted House (An Obscure Magic, #11)
  • Bonds (Royal States, #6)
  • Dervishes Don't Dance (Valkyrie Bestiary #2)
  • Ginger Snapped
  • Bat out of Hell
  • Storm Called (Royal States, #1)
  • Hired Luck (Twisted Luck, #2)
  • My Luck (Twisted Luck, #1)
  • Three Charms for Murder (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #5)
  • Shammed
See top shelves…
RJ Blain suffers from a Moleskine journal obsession, a pen fixation, and a terrible tendency to pun without warning.

When she isn't playing pretend, she likes to think she's a cartographer and a sumi-e painter. In reality, she herds cats and a husband, and obeys the commands of Tsu Dhi, the great warrior fish.

In her spare time, she daydreams about being a spy. Should that fail, her contingency plan

Magical Romantic Comedies (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Playing with Fire (Magical Romantic Comedies, #1)
  • Hoofin' It (Magical Romantic Comedies, #2)
  • Serial Killer Princess (Magical Romantic Comedies, #3)
  • Whatever for Hire (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4)
  • No Kitten Around (Magical Romantic Comedies, #5)
  • Blending In (Magical Romantic Comedies, #6)
  • Cheetahs Never Win (Magical Romantic Comedies, #7)
  • Burn, Baby, Burn (Magical Romantic Comedies, #8)
  • Double Trouble (Magical Romantic Comedies, #9)
  • Grave Humor (Magical Romantic Comedies, #10)