Start by marking “L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 36” as Want to Read:
L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 36

L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 36

(L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future #36)

Soar to new heights of Science Fiction & Fantasy.

Who are the top science fiction writers and illustrators of the future?
The answer is here. Get to know tomorrow’s brightest creative talents chosen by some of today’s bestselling authors and celebrated artists including Kevin J. Anderson, Orson Scott Card, Larry Elmore, Brandon Sanderson, Dan dos Santos, and Robert J. Saw

Published April 7th 2020 by Galaxy Press

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katherine Livingston Hi Catalina,

Hi Catalina,

I'm the author and yep that's exactly right. There are two narrative threads in the story, one in which the narrator narrates to the child and describes things that have happened to them and another "hypothetical" story line where the narrator describes what has happened in their own life.(less)

Start your review of L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 36
Anna Tan
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
As anthologies go, I really, really like this one. I don't think I'll talk about every single story--there are 4 additional/commissioned stories and 3 articles PLUS the 12 winners for the year--but I can safely say I did not dislike any one of them. At most, there were maybe two or three which just left me puzzled.

Here are the ones I loved the most:
A Word That Means Everything (Andy Dibble)
THIS was an unexpected gem. I started it a little warily, wondering if it was going to be a bad take on Chr
Catalina
Each story has a new feel, an original idea, and each new story is my new favourite. I particularly loved “Educational tapes” however, a dystopian tale that unfolds in intriguing ways and plays well to the readers imagination, as well as being in a creative format.
“A prize in every box” is also a great favourite, for completely different reasons, told from a child’s fun and accepting point of view.
This is one of the first Writers of the Future volumes I’ve read, and I will be coming back for mo
Thomas Evans
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this installment of The Writers of the Future to be exceptional! The stories are incredibly written, showcasing the talent of these new authors. Having read each release over the past several years I believe that this collection of stories may be one of the best ever. This installment is a must read for those who love exploring the thoughts of new science fiction authors. I highly recommend reading it.
Cat Girczyc
Shelves: science-fiction
I was pleased to be an ARC reader for WOTF #36. Edited by Dave Wolverton and featuring wonderful illustrations by the winners of the illustration area, it's an incredibly fine volume of short stories, illos, and advice.
Usually, in a collection of short stories, there are a few 'duds' but this one is the exception in that all of them rated 8 out of 10 or above in my estimation. There is a variety of themes and subject matter.
I particularly enjoyed the takes on religion and philosophy in "A Word
Brenda
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had the pleasure to do an advance read of this volume reading it cover to cover in just a couple of days it was great entertainment. For those who enjoy speculative fiction and well written prose, several helpful essays for those wanting to know more about the bones of writing and illustrating plus three bonus stories, this is a great volume to read.
I enjoyed the quality of writing in every story. Jody Lynn Nye's , Nnedi Okorafor and Katherine Kurtz are three of my favourite writers. Jody
Candice Lisle
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an advance reader, I was thrilled when I saw the beautiful illustrations in volume 36. Each story by an up-and-coming writer, has a full-color illustration. I tried to guess what the story was about from its accompanying picture. I never guessed right! But that's the fun of it! The stories are amazing and will transport you into a magical place and time. You will not be disappointed. I found myself savoring each story like a favorite chocolate. Then I would read it again.
W G
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a member of Galaxy Press’s advanced reader team, I was privileged to be given an advance copy of their latest book, Writers of the Future Vol 36 and what a book it is. From start to the finish I was impressed with the superb quality of speculative story telling by a variety of highly talented authors who entered L. Ron Hubbard’s science fiction contest and have had their story published. This wonderful anthology contains the winning entries by 12 authors plus great stories from established au ...more
Claire Keogh
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the artwork and stories in this beautifully produced book. The stories are well written and interesting, and the artwork really captured my attention. The series really gives the opportunity for new and emerging writers to showcase their work in an international competition and one day I hope to be published in this anthology.
R.J.K. Lee
I'm a big fan of short story anthologies, as they're often packed with so much power from start to finish when done right, and this particular anthology knocks you off your feet. The diversity of stories contained within is one of the big pros of reading this. Sci-fi, fantasy, dark fantasy, weird, and even horror, but all of it pumped full of emotion and meaningful exploration of their themes. So much fragility and sacrifice in these stories. So much immersion, often deeper than you find elsewhe ...more
Tim Emery
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthologies are great for providing a variety of styles and types of story. With tales from 12 new writers, plus stories from L.Ron Hubbard and Nnedi Okorafor, and advice pieces, WotF never disappoints. Catching My Death, Foundations and Stolen Sky left the biggest impressions on me along with Yellow and Pink which provides a lesson in how to hook from the first few lines. I’ll have to revisit two of the first place winners which didn’t keep my attention on first read, but then I will no doubt r ...more
Anna
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full of imaginative worlds and wonderful illustrations!

In particular, my favorites were “Yellow and Pink” by Leah Ning and “Stolen Sky” by Storm Humbert. The craft of these stories really stood out to me, and their authors showcased a tangible depth to their narratives. I’ll remember them both well.

This collection would be great in the hands of a Young Adult reader. The fiction is quite clean. I felt a couple stories had a touch too much telling, or—at times—a bit too much info dumping, but oth
Marjorie
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4.5 stars.

As expected, this was yet another very impressive anthology. So many of the winners were quite young - I suspect some will become big names in the future. The stories toward the beginning were stronger than the end in my opinion, but I'm quite excited about some of these new (to me) writers on my radar! I'm ashamed to admit that one of those is Nnedi Okorafor, who I've heard nothing but great things about but had not gotten around to until her story here, "The Winds of Harmattan." I w
Chris Hinkle
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read many great WOTF anthologies over the years and I'm pleased to report Volume 36 delivers yet again. Thus far, two stories have really stood out for me.
Firstly, “The Trade” by C. Winspear. Wow! This is, beyond a doubt, the best science fiction short story I've read in years (closely followed by Wulf Moon's, Super Duper Moon Girl story in volume 35)! Yes, it is that damn good. The story held my interest from the first paragraph all the way through to the very last word. Start here. You w
Marie
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an early reading copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Like all anthologies, some stories I enjoyed much more than others. To name a few of my favourites: "Yellow and Pink" and "Borrowed Glory" broke my heart, truly! And "A Prize in Every Box" could well have been a Twilight Zone episode. "The Winds of Harmattan" was thought-provoking, and touched on the ever-present propensity that humans have of hating what they don't understand.

But again, like a
Susan Qrose
I was lucky enough to receive an advance reading copy of Writers of the Future Vol. 36. Since the demise of the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror in 2008, WotF is the only anthology I buy every year. It is always filled with stories told in exciting new voices, and the 36th volume lived up to my expectations.
With all the superb stories to choose from, I had a difficult time keeping to just three to highlight.
One of my favorites is Foundations by Michael Gardner. Skipping out on her babysitting duti
Crystal Crawford
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This year's stories are incredible. Every single one is well worth the read, but my favorite was Leah Ning's "Yellow and Pink."
giftedteacher
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This year's anthology is even better than prior years' anthologies (which is saying a lot, because all of them are excellent)! Every year I look forward to the "Writers of the Future" anthology, and every year it is wonderful! Each story in here is a gem, and each one is very original. I look forward to reading more by all of these authors in the future!
BookmarkedOne
Quite glad to have gotten an ARC for this one! I fell in love with "Borrowed Glory" and "Yellow and Pink." And please note every story has an accompanying full color illustration! So beautiful.
Some of the stories weren't quite to my taste (don't particularly appreciate too much sexual content), but there are always a few in anthologies I love and a few I don't.
A full review in two parts here where I rant a little about each story: https://bookmarkedone.home.blog/2020/..., and https://bookmarkedo
Norabele
More new horizons to explore in Writers of the Future Volume 36

Reading an anthology is always an interesting experience—like stepping out of rush hour and standing in front of an old New York brownstone on a hot summer day, and watching as residents, one by one, leave the chaotic city streets behind, and open the windows upon worlds of their own making. Standing there, on the sidewalk, you are tantalized by the scents of myriad cuisines; you hear snatches of conversations in various tongues, cat
John Haas
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writers of the Future 36 is a great anthology and has a little something for everyone.
Personally, my favorite stories (a category I admit is completely subjective) were "A Prize in Every Box" which got me nostalgic for the breakfast cereals I had as a kid and those prizes which seemed so cool, and "Yellow and Pink" which is a bittersweet story that kept me pulled in until the end. The other stories were also quite good, but those two struck a chord with me.
I also devoured and appreciated the "ho
Anthony Iacovino
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writers of the Future, Vol 36, is a collection of stimulating stories by promising new writers intersprinkled with stories from professional writers. There are also some articles of advice on writing and illustrating.

While the stories are quite imaginative, remember that the writers are new and sometimes have a little to learn. The professional writers, however, are simply delightful.

The articles of advice serve as solid foundations for readers of the book who might also be writers of sci-fi.
Len Gizinski
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed the Writers of the Future anthologies, and this year’s collection was no different. As you might expect from such an eclectic collection of fantasy, science or otherwise, not every story and artwork was my favorite, but from the pseudo-Egyptian fantasy of The Phoenix’s Peace (Jody Lynn Nye) through the contemplative sci-fi of The Trade (C. Winspear), the urban fantasy of Catching My Death (J.L. George), and the chilling dystopia of Educational Tapes (Katie Livingston) – no ...more
Morgan Goolsby
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Grab Bag of Goodies

I was given an advanced reader copy and asked only for an honest review. Everything written here is solely my opinion.

Starting off strong with an intense tory about three astronauts faced with an impossible choice, the 36th edition of the Writers of the Future anthology truly inspires.

Each story was a labor of love, and the judges chose well to bring these nineteen stories together. Particularly shining examples are The Trade by C. Winspear, a funny and fast paced story leavi
Liz Busby
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff, short-stories
Review from my blog: https://lizbusby.com/writers-of-the-f...

Either I’m getting better at reading short stories, or the Writers of the Future contest for 2019 had truly epic submissions, because I found almost every story in volume 36 compelling. I am not usually a short story reader, but I am trying to become one to expose myself to more ideas in my limited reading time. Volumes like this give me great motivation to continue in that endeavor.

Cover for Writers of the Future volume 36
Notes on ind
Wulf Moon
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every year for the past 36 years, Writers of the Future combs the world for the best new science fiction and fantasy stories from the best new speculative fiction writers. The results year after year are stunning. With prizes, pay, and honors higher than any other contest in the industry, the anthologies attract the very best of the best, and Volume 36 is no exception. Best, not only in writing quality, but best in originality as well. These are avant-garde thinkers and creators—they must be to ...more
Mandy Oaks
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic anthology! From cover to cover, the stories, advice, and illustrations are amazing! The stories will stick with you long after you've read them. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. Part of the joy of these stories is in discovering them for yourself.

Not only are the stories and art amazing, but the advice for writers and artists is, too. In an interview with L. Ron Hubbard titled, "Steps in the Right Direction," we're given the advice to "Write while the idea's hot, while the
Juan Andres
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Read!
I've been reading this collection for years and I have never been let down. Fresh stories, each with a unique flavor that remind you why you love fantasy and Sci-Fi in the first place.
This year's selection is one of the finest I've seen. Slightly longer stories (But still not too long) so the subjects can be developed more in depth. There is fantasy, sci-fi, weird sci-fi and a plethora of subjects that surprise you, in a good way.
The only downside is that you finish the book much
Maryse Alexander
Great! The stories are diverse and each one unique. Creative plots and beautiful illustrations. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves short fiction and is interested in discovering upcoming big authors. The bonus story from Nnedi Okorafor in particular was beautiful with a special ending. And then I learned from advice as a writer and artist myself. I shared those with friends. All in all, worthy the acquisition.
James Mourgos
Writers of the Future Volume 36

General Impressions:

As you may know the Writers of the Future is the definitive writing contest for new writers. I’ve been reading this since Volume One, finding many of the new authors fascinating and make a fun read. Not all of them mind you but that’s a matter of personal preference.

Volume 36 took out all the stops with a proper taste of science fiction (robots putting on Shakespeare’s plays, sort of) and a touch of fantasy (young girls on the cusp of womanhood
Robyn Stuart
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Depth & Poignancy: This is one of those reads when I wish I had a Kindle that did colour. The combination of illustrations with each story is brilliant. As an aspiring writer, I thoroughly enjoyed the volume. The combination of new writers and old along with advice from L R Hubbard makes Writers of the Future a superb buy. My absolute favourite story was The Trade by C. Winspear. It had a touch of humour wrapped in pathos and a very satisfying ending. This story was more sci-fi than fantasy and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Vol 35: Bestselling Anthology of Award-Winning Science Fiction and Fantasy Short Stories
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut #3)
  • Storm Glass (Harbinger #1)
  • Black Panther #1
  • The Devil Aspect
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
  • The Poetry of Good Eats
  • A Spy With Scruples
  • Gone With the Rogue (First Comes Love, #2)
  • Our Time Will Come: War, Separation and a Daring Attempt to Reunite
  • The Hot Hand: The Mystery and Science of Streaks
  • How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income
  • Yours In Wellness, Krystal Heeling: Letters from the Wellness Industry
  • Dante's Garden: Magic and Mystery in Bomarzo
  • TROPE 3: Alphas
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more

L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future 1