Start by marking “Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2)

Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  446 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The ever-conscientious Miss Helma Zukas of Bellehaven, Washington, is not one to renege on a promise—even one made hastily . . . and too long ago to possibly remember! So when an anonymous note in the morning mail reminds her of her vow to bring her high school classmates together for a twenty-year reunion, Miss Zukas hops to and begins organizing the perfect celebration . ...more
Published April 1st 1995 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Miss Zukas and the Island Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Zukas and the Island Murders

Cynthia K
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
When I read the first Miss Zukas mystery, I enjoyed the way that the author revealed the personality of the heroine. It was an excellent example of showing instead of telling the reader. And what did she show? A fastidious librarian, very conservative in her tastes and actions. Helma (don't call her "Helm") Zukas likes things to be just so.
That is why I pictured Miss Zukas as my elder, someone with many years on me. Imagine my shock when I realized that Helma is my contemporary. This dawned on
Crystal
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miss-zukas
I read three of this series in quick succession, and by the third I was warming up to the character, but, really, I could not identify with somebody who could, even in private, utter only "Faulkner" as her most heated swear word.
Lesley Looper
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2017
It's been a long time since I read a Miss Zukas mystery, and I enjoyed getting plugged back in. It was a light read, but with some interesting (and smart, some of them) twists and turns. And of course, I liked the library connections. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Ann Cooper
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fast read thriller, with well drawn characters and a beautifully evocative setting.
Spuddie
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
#2 Helma Zukas mystery, featuring the intrepid librarian who lives in fictional Bellehaven, WA. Helma gets an anonymous letter reminding her that she promised to plan her 20-year high school reunion, and also hints that the death of a classmate after a basketball game their senior year may not have been an accident as was previously believed.

Since Helma was the class treasurer and invested their funds with her usual aplomb, she and her friend Ruth who also hails from back home, decide to invite
Ilona
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-mystery, 2013
This is the first Miss Zukas book I've read, and I'll certainly read more. I enjoyed the fastidious and orderly Helma Zukas, even as I recognized that her inflexible, rule-bound personality would preclude me ever liking her a whole lot in real life. (I wouldn't dislike her, but she's certainly not someone I'd seek out as a friend.)

The mystery was revealed in suitably mystifying ways, the pace good and denouement well-crafted. Some mysteries go on far too long after we've reached the apex of the
Susan
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Helma Zukas is receiving anonymous letters. One writer wants her to keep her promise and organize her twentieth high school reunion; the other warns her that trouble awaits if she does. But she did promise, and so she brings her classmates to a small resort island off the coast of Washington, only to find that someone had cancelled the reservation and that the inn is not nearly ready for them. When one of the classmates is found dead, Helma and her friend Ruth realize that there's a murderer on ...more
Nathalie S
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read a Miss Zukas book in ages and it's just as good as I remember. Helma Zukas is a very proper and straight-laced librarian in Washington State. As a fellow librarian, I reveled in their staff meetings described by their head librarian as "Harmony circles".
Also, the following sign was a very good way to gauge when it's time to take your 15 minute break "WHEN A LIBRARIAN DELIGHTS IN GREETING THE PUBLIC WITH A 'NO', AWAY FROM THE REFERENCE DESK HE OR SHE MUST GO". I took this book as my
Kyrie
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm working my way through this series.
It's a nice surprise when the second book is better than the first one.
The way Helma Zukas' past is slowly revealed and her personality beyond her public persona are both fun to read.
I read this one while on the road, so I'm not sure if I followed all the little subplots, but I did like how she tied past and present together for a good mystery.
It's not deep, but it's fun.
Barbara
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody who likes libraries
Recommended to Barbara by: Nyoka the jungle girl
I really enjoyed the setting of a class reunion for this little mystery. I'm liking Miss Zukas and her pal Ruth, and the characters' past comes into play bringing the classmates in. I know I'm going to enjoy the whole series... with its subtle revelation of relationships, and the clueless geeky heroine.
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • Do Unto Others
  • Shore to Die (Josie Pigeon, #1)
  • North Star Conspiracy (Glynis Tryon, #2)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Can Run Your Stockings (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #13)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Unprintable (A Book Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...

Miss Zukas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3)
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Miss Zukas, #5)
  • Final Notice (Miss Zukas, #6)
  • Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)