Start by marking “Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

When Elizabeth receives the news concerning Lydia's elopement with Mr. Wickham, Mr. Darcy proposes a plan to divert gossip away from Elizabeth's younger sister in order to save her from a life as Mrs. Wickham.

This humorous variation on Pride and Prejudice follows Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet on a rather unexpected adventure.
Published September 24th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes

Start your review of Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Debbie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I previously read the unpublished version of this online about two years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it then and enjoyed it just as much in the newly released edition.

It starts in Lambton, where Darcy is about to leave Elizabeth to hunt down Wickham, but he looks back, sees how distressed she is at his reaction, and realizes how it appears to her if she has feelings for him. Thus emboldened, he assures her of his continued devotion. Darcy thinks so quickly on his feet (perhaps a little too quickly
Anna Fitzwilliam
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I still believe eleven kids is just too much.
Sheila Majczan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This premise has been used before. Darcy persuades Elizabeth to elope with him in order to distract attention away from Lydia's eloping with Wickham. Darcy has come upon Elizabeth in the inn at Lambton just after the letter from Jane has arrived. By now Elizabeth's feelings for Darcy have undergone a change so she is easily convinced that this will work. Letters are written to family members to relate their plans so as to have everyone in on the diversion as well as a letter to Colonel ...more
wosedwew
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news, which follows its own rules. ~Douglas Adams

What’s the best way to eliminate gossip about an elopement?

Publicize a much more noteworthy elopement, of course!

When Darcy meets Elizabeth at the inn in Lambton, she shares Jane’s letter about Lydia’s indiscretion.

Darcy instigates two events:
1. He sends Colonel Fitzwilliam in search of the miscreants.
2. He elopes with Elizabeth to draw attention away from Lydia/Wickham.

As
James S
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Darcy and Lizzy elope

Full of wry humor, ODC in Love early, and a story of them eloping, why the eloped and ramifications of the elopement.

Story bounces right along in a fun telling. Light, bright and a good read.

I recommend the story.
Leslie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I too read this as an unpublished story on a FF site, I loved it them and I loved it now. Despite the potential for disaster that is never far out of site for any of the characters there is a just such a sense of joy and happiness imbued in the characters that you can't help but smile. This is also an energetic story that makes you want to read it quickly.

We jump in with both feet in Lambton, so familiarity with P&P is probably required. Darcy comes up with a crazy plan to distract everyone
Madenna U
I read this story online previously and enjoyed it! In this Pride and Prejudice variation, Darcy proposes that he and Elizabeth elope in order to cover for Lydia. Hopefully, the gossips will talk about The Darcy's so that Lydia will not have to marry Wickham. Of course, all sorts of fun stuff happens on the way to Scotland and on the way home. There is also the reactions of family. This was a nice quick read.
Abigail
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and funny. Though there are a few quick time jumps toward the end. Greatly enjoyed the book.
Anji
A Regency-set variation of Pride and Prejudice that splits off from canon at the Inn in Lambton, where Elizabeth has received Jane's letters telling of Lydia's elopement with Wickham. Darcy is on the verge of leaving the inn, when he changes his mind and decides to stay and try to help sort out the situation.

This was definitely a different solution to that rather knotty problem. How to save Lydia's and her sisters' reputations without forcing her into what must have ended up as a very unhappy
Barbara K.
I'm not sure this is short enough to qualify as a novella, but it is a short novel, and a delightful story, full of humor and sweet romance without a lot of angst or tragedy - though I did feel sorry for one character.

Imagine that when Mr. Darcy comes upon Elizabeth at the inn in Lambton, just after she has read Jane's letters informing her of Lydia's elopement with Wickham, Darcy declares he still loves her and when she admits the same, he suggests they elope, so that if his cousin, Colonel
Talia
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect from this book and in fact, I think I was disinclined to like it for no reason, I am sure. But I found it to be delightfully, charming.
Charlene
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

Cute story short story. Very little angst. I love angst so though I enjoyed the story it’s not a fav. Definitely worth reading
Marsha
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grab tissues HILARIOUS

This was funny from beginning to end. This author did not miss a beat. Darcy had such a sense of humour and Elizabeth was just as awesome. Fitzwilliam, Mr Bennet, and Viscount Hastings were just as good. Please give a read
Rachel de la Fuente
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes (FDE) was a fun read. Essentially, Mr. Darcy suggests he and Elizabeth elope to deflect gossip away from Lydia’s stupid decision.

The story offers a much more satisfying conclusion to Lydia’s elopement than the original, including giving her a chance for some character growth.

I wish it had been a bit longer to see Elizabeth and Darcy’s married life at Pemberly and their reunion with Georgiana after their adventures.

I noticed a handful of errors throughout the book, and,
Jacqueline Marshall
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A Marriage To Avoid Scandal

In this story Lydia runs away with Wickham leading to s brief scandal as news about the elopement t spread. Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth marry to cover up the scandal. They plot to make everyone think it was Elizabeth and not Lydia who runs away to marry. They are successful. They are able to cover up the true scandal with their own story. And since they really did get married, it isn’t as serious a scandal.

This story is a little romantic and a little funny. However, it
Jenny
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this - we start at the inn at Lambton where Lizzy learns of Lydia's elopement. Instead of rushing to ,leave, Darcy notices Lizzy seems distressed at the thought of him leaving so makes a plan where they elope and make out that it was Lizzy, rather than Lyddie, who eloped and all scandal is avoided... of course there is still the small matter of finding Lydia and convincing her to give up Wickham and trying to get the Darcy marriage recognised....

I really enjoyed this book...
Vicki
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

This version was funny and interesting. I truly enjoyed this book. The angst was minimal and easily deflected. I would recommend it. (I also enjoyed Ms. Woods other P&P books as well.)
Risa Richardson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joyful read.

True to the book with a little variation that was fun. I recommend this book to others. Enjoy it now
Rachel
Jan 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Could not finish. The first half is a description of travel logistics

I could not get into the story. Word use and sentence structure left a lot to be desired. I began skimming about halfway through and then just gave up. I didn’t care what happened.
Ladyhawke
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Weird

A repentant Lydia?
Huh
Nope ain’t gonna believe it till I read it. Oops it still wasn’t in there. Sad yeah but not repentant. Which just made it weird.
Natisha Knight
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good

It's a sweet little read. Not totally predictable, but there is nothing earth shaking about the novel. Nice way to pass the time.
Alyssa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Meh. It was entertaining and quick... Not the best P&P retelling but entertaining enough.
Dee Thorne
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

This is the type of book I like to read. It is warm, inviting, with comical areas that make you smile and waiting to find out what comes next
Marsha Williams
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I just love the changing of the story. Only downside is the audio reader is horrible. Please consider using a real person to narrate the story.
Chelsea
This was a really enjoyable story and I enjoyed reading about all the different characters as well as all the fun twists that happened. I also liked Richard's brother in this story which rarely happens. The epilogue at the end tied things up well. I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.
Rachel Wilson
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

This is a good story with interesting characterizations. I enjoyed the resolution to Lydia’s situation. There were a few minor spelling and grammar issues here and there but nothing too distracting. A pleasant read, all said.
Joan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Avid Reader

I thought that Darcy's plan to elope with Elizabeth in order to save Lydia 's reputation was genius. Mr. Bennet meeting them leaving the church was shocking since he went to Scotland to find Lydia. Colonel Fitzwilliam finally punished Wickham while at the same time informing Lydia of Wickham's perfidy. Lady Matlock helped Elizabeth enter the ton without too much stress, and Caroline paid off all of her incivility to the Darcy and Bennet families because she needed the connections. I
lori huff
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Good

This is the second book I've read b.y this author, and like the first one, it's not great literature, but just a fun little way to pass a couple of hours. The plot is ridiculous: Darcy and Elizabeth elope to Scotland in order to draw attention away from Lydia's disastrous decision to leave Brighton with Mr. Wickham. The story is mostly narrative, with a minimum of dialogue to keep it personal. The characters are mostly humorous versions of their original selves from P&P. The whole tale
Dee
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just ok

Some funny scenes. The characters were "out of character", but likeable, for the most part. The author started too many paragraphs the same way, " Although... "
Jessica
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-p-variances
3.5 stars rounded up. A very quick HEA read that lightly examines what can happen when you make rumors the way you want them to be instead of how they could happen.

(Spoilers ahead)

Liked:
-That Lydia and Wickham didn't marry
-The Jane asked questions instead of immediately saying yes (though she could have made him sweat more)
-That Elizabeth and Darcy didn't dance around things, I hate those misunderstanding plot devices in stories that are easily fixed by just talking
-How Caroline handled

• A Baby for Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Speechless
  • Sorrow and Second Chances
  • TORN: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • A Case of Some Delicacy
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy, Guardian: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Dimensions of Darcy Book 3)
  • A Covenant of Marriage: A Pride & Prejudice Variation