Start by marking “Queerleaders” as Want to Read:
Queerleaders

Queerleaders

Mack snuck a look at the cheerleaders just as Veronica took her place at the top of the pyramid. Time seemed to slow down as the cheerleader swung her long blond ponytail over her shoulder, pompoms high in the air
Mackenzie is used to being different from other kidsand to being bullied for not fitting into the rigid social expectations of her Catholic High School. Luckily,
Published March 15th 2020 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about Queerleaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queerleaders

Start your review of Queerleaders
Lex Kent
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
In truth there is light. This was a cute read. It wasnt what I was hoping for, but it was readable and entertaining. I enjoy YA a lot more now than I ever used to. One of the reasons is YA can really make you feel. It can be really emotional and tug at your heartstrings one minute but then it can also make you feel really good the next. I was looking for those different emotions tonight so I have to say Im sorry that I didnt really get that in this book.

While being a YA book, this also has a
Carrie
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
"I'm sure once you take the hairnet off she's very attractive!"

Mack is a closeted gay gal navigating her senior year in high school. Super content to be coasting through her final year with her best friend, Lily. Mack has a crush on the head cheerleader, Veronica. She thinks Veronica is amazing and beautiful and smart and sweet. Lily thinks Veronica is not any of those things.

Mack decides to write a note to Lily describing all the reasons why she likes Veronica. Unfortunately, that note gets
Heinerway
Oh, what a silly story! Silly. Silly. Silly. But kinda cute.
iam
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, sapphic, ya, arc
This had the potential to be so cute, but unfortunately fell flat for me.

Read the full review & more on the blog.

Content warnings include: bullying, homophobia, repeated outing of queer characters against their will, cheating, toxic definition of queerness, religion, homophobic authority figure threatening queer teen, TONS of public humiliation and second hand embarassment.

It wasnt all bad. There were some cute moments, and particularly towards the end there were some unexpected turns where
Isaiah
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

I got this book, because iam had it. I am that easily swayed to read a book. I knew nothing else about it except that the title was a pun. I am a simple queer. Give me a dad joke and a queer love story (preferably with cowboys or with a cute dog sidekick) and I am in.

The book wasn't great. It wasn't terrible, but the bad outweighed the good. The writing itself wasn't all that bad. It was typical YA stuff. Nothing earth
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:(view spoiler)
R
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After Mack, 17, was outed by a popular football player, she eventually reached her limit with his bullying antics and confronted him. After he called her a freak and told her she would never have a chance with any of the schools cheerleaders and the only person in the school she could possibly hook up with was the lunch lady, Mack angrily, and later regrettably, walked away with her own challenge of not only kissing one cheerleader but all of them. With her best friends wavering help, Mack set ...more
Colleen Corgel
This is a short and sweet high school rom-com about a girl who is outed by a jerk football player, and she makes a bet with him about on how many cheerleaders she can kiss. This is on the basis that Mack (our earnest to a fault gay mess) has a very hard crush on the head cheerleader, Veronica and her little love letters made their way to Veronica's boyfriend. Mack spends the rest of the story getting closer to the quirky Beth, bickering with best friend, Lila, and kissing some cheerleaders.

I
Star
Mar 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received an e-Advanced Reader Copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This did not impact my views.

Content warnings include: bullying, homophobia, repeated outing of queer characters against their will, cheating, toxic definition of queerness, religion, homophobic authority figure threatening queer teen, TONS of public humiliation and second hand embarrassment.

I actually DNFed this at 41%

I couldn't get passed the disgusting homophobia, the constant outing, the unsavoury remarks,
Karen Barber
Thanks, NetGalley, for the advance copy of a book that feels like it should be part of something bigger.
Mack is gay and has a serious crush on her schools head cheerleader, Veronica. After she writes a note outlining her crush, Mack has to suffer the indignity of being outed by the boyfriend of her crush. This alone is bad enough, but the reaction of students in her Catholic school is terrible.
Not one adult steps up and tries to deal with the homophobic behaviour that is very much in evidence.
Lisa Bentley
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh Queerleaders is a great story.

I love LGBT fiction. I love YA fiction. Put those hands together and you have Queerleaders. The story of Mack and how she is forced to come out by the arrogant and narrow-minded bullies in her school and how she manages to lose herself and find herself all at once.

It is a story of friendship and a story of self discovery. Mack is shown to be a warts and all brilliant protagonist whose downfall is due to her own indulgence and greed but gosh I loved her.

If you
Gemma
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was interesting but weird?
I didn't really like it but I also didn't dislike it, it was pretty average. First of all who doesn't love a cheer leader love story and better yet a gay one? From the description this book had so much potential and I thought this could be a cute story about coming out and finding love for the first time but instead it fell flat and was a bit cringy in how the cheer leaders were acting over Mack. I didn't really like Mack's character but I did like Lila and I
Zoey Waddell
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, popsugar2020
** I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

This was a super quick read that was fun. I enjoyed Mack and Lila's friendship and the entire ordeal of finding yourself in high school. The book drove home the honesty and truth that comes with realizing who you and being funny while doing it. There were cringy places, but honestly they were far and few between. If anything, I wish the book had been longer to truly dive into some of the topics that were brought to
Steph
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a YA book written in first person that follows Mack and her journey in her final year of high school where she becomes popular around some cheerleaders and has the opportunity to find love.

This was a quick, sometimes sweet, sometimes boring read. While enjoyable at times I did find myself flipping the pages and quickly scanning instead of actually reading. While I actually enjoy YA books, this one was a bit too superficial for me.

However, if you are looking for a quick YA reading with a
Heidi
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-reads
A short YA romcom about a cute baby dyke and a cute gay cheerleader, be still my heart.

This wasn't completely what I was hoping for when I first read the synopsis, but it was short and sweet. A bit silly at times, but that's part of the genre, I think? Think about all those ridiculous teenage movies about the outsider girl falling for the popular guy or whatever; plenty of silly moments in those.
Avocadoworm
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This a light hearted and fun story ! I had a blast reading it. I flew through it. Read it in one sitting. Its just a good mood book. The main character is a gay drama queen who is looking for a girlfriend.
It was really nice to read a self discovery book that didnt take itself too seriously.
I would recommend to anyone looking for a fun queer read.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me a copy of this book to read and review.
All opinions are my own.
Theanticharles007

• Heart Failure
  • Sunsets and Shades
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Uncharted
  • Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)
  • Anyone But Her
When M.B. isnt writing, she works as a producer of the theatrical trailers everyone talks through when they go to the movies. She also spends her spare time skating in roller derby, pretending shes a cowboy, and playing with swords. Living in Los Angeles with her partner and herd of fur children has taught her useful defensive driving skills and how to be too friendly. She has kindly requested ...more

News & Interviews