Start by marking “Home Before Dark” as Want to Read:
Home Before Dark

Home Before Dark

A woman returns to the house made famous by her father’s bestselling horror memoir. Is the place really haunted by evil forces, as her father claimed? Or are there more earthbound—and dangerous—secrets hidden within its walls?

"What was it like? Living in that house."

Maggie Holt is used to such questions. Twenty-five years ago, she and her parents, Ewan and Jess, moved into
Expected publication: July 7th 2020 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Before Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Before Dark

Start your review of Home Before Dark
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dutton

description
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Will the fourth one be the best one yet??
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love an author’s vivid creativity and trying something unexpected to exceed his or her previous writing performances by taking a challenge and trying something brand new.

Riley Sager is one of the most brilliant authors raises the bars and waltz between genres and serves us fresh baked from oven kind of delicious, soul crushing, mind numbing, exhilarating, surprising stories with WTF I just read kind of twisty, the rug pulled out from your feet kind of endings.
This time he dances between
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Oct 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-books
SCREAMS IN THRILLER
megs_bookrack
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS COVER!!!!????

It is the most beautiful creation of all time.
My heart is filled with pure joy just by looking at it!

And the synopsis!?

Don't even get me started.
The countdown officially begins...
Tucker
Nov 15, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Recommended to Tucker by: Dutton
more Riley Sager!!

also, this cover is super creepy. i don't know why, it just reminds me of a nightmare i used to have

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn | YouTube |
Jordy’s Book Club
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
QUICK TAKE: Sager fans rejoice. If you enjoyed his previous novels, you'll enjoy this one. A multi-generational haunted house story that gave me "Haunting of Hill House" vibes is very much it's own thing. A few good scares, an engaging mystery with unreliable narrators, and SNAKES!! You've still got a few months until this one is officially released, but for many of you, it will be worth the wait.
Nick
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
straight to my TBR
menna hafez
Dec 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I hope this book will be good, I can't handle another disappointed from this author
Krystin Rachel
Riley Sager and Amityville vibes?!?

Holly  B
Oct 10, 2019 marked it as to-read

Yay!!!! Can not wait!
Andrea C. *andreandherbookss*
I don't even know what this book, but I can't wait! Another Riley Sager book coming out in 2020...sign me up!
Amy Imogene Reads
Oct 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am ready ...more
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
After Lock Every Door I will read anything by this author. And can we appreciate the consistency of his covers. I always anticipate what the next one will look like.
Jillian Doherty
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the first page it feels delightfully reminiscent of Haunting on Hill House and Amityville Horror - The story continues to evolves in the best page-turning way possible! I don't want to give anything away as can't speak highly enough of how good this read is :D preeee-order!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Cassie
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
A story with ghosts in it?? Written by Riley Sager???

SIGN ME THE HECK UP!
Eilidh
Nov 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-buy
AHHHH! I’ve JUST finished screaming! It’s here folks, the next Riley Sager novel, and it’s GREEN!

A potential haunted house story is just what I needed to keep my Halloween loving heart beating.

I can’t wait. And that greeeeen is to die for! Love it
 Reading Divergence
I was enamoured of Riley Sager 's first two novels, FINAL GIRLS and THE LAST TIME I LIED. His third mystery, LOCK EVERY DOOR, I've not yet read. The description for HOME BEFORE DARK really excited me, because I love a Haunting above all else.

However: the pre-Prologue, told from contemporary (adult) Maggie's point of view, didn't set me up for the story. Now the Prologue, when Maggie was five and the family freshly moved into the unusual, if not quite, unique, Baneberry House in a significantly
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Jan 22, 2020 marked it as tbr-most-anticipated
I NEED THIS NOW

Riley has become one of my top favorite authors!!!
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Dec 27, 2019 marked it as wishlist-books
I'll keep buying every single thing Riley Sager puts out, thank you very much!

Etsy|Twitter|Bookstagram|Instagram

Sarah- Pupsandprose
Dec 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Another Riley Sager book?!? I cannot wait
Shawna P.
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Riley Sager has a new book coming out, but we have to wait until summer 2020....

Nina
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD IT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT MY HEART NEEDS AFTER READING THE TURN OF THE KEY!!!
Jg
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow! I’ve enjoyed Riley Sager’s books but I think Home Before Dark takes her writing to a whole new level. A Scary, creepy, page turning plot that has more twists than a roller coaster.
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, something else would happen in the book that added another twisted level of intrigue, and the story kept getting better and better.
At the age of 5, Maggie’s parents bought a huge, old mansion in Vermont that already had old terrible stories attached to its
Jenn Estepp
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am always down for a good haunted house story, and this one is suitably creepy and very twisty. I didn’t love everything once the big reveal came, but it’s way more good than not. Great pacing, excellent cover. This is my first Sager, but I’ve got his previous books waiting on deck now.
Brie
I loved Riley Sager's take on a popular trope of the haunted house story. It had all the elements you come to expect from that kind of story, but done with his own flair. Home Before Dark was perfectly paced and thoroughly enjoyable.

Thank you Penguin Group and Netgalley for this ARC.
emma
Feb 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
If nothing else I find Riley Sager's books really entertaining! Even though this one is about ghosts / haunted houses I might give it a try.
Brittney Michelle Cox
[01/13/20] Prerelease thoughts. HOLY FORKING SHIRT. I am so excited for my yearly July Riley Sager Thriller Read. This is tradition now.

*Fingers crossed for it to be a BOTM pick for June/July*
Whalque
Jan 07, 2020 marked it as what
Isn't this almost the plot of The Haunting Of Hill House (Netflix version) and the character of Steven from it?

• Things You Save in a Fire
  • The Starless Sea
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • His True Queen (The Smoke & Mirrors Duology, #2)
  • Long Bright River
  • The Controversial Princess (The Smoke & Mirrors Duology #1)
  • Blossom in Winter (Blossom in Winter, #1)
  • Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark, #1)
  • Dreams of 18
  • 2019 on Goodreads
  • The Man I Need (Ward Duet, #2)
  • Take Me Apart
  • The Flight Attendant
  • The Man I Can't Have (Ward Duet, #1)
  • Someone We Know
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • The Empty Bed (The Burial Society, #2)
  • The Missing Sister
Riley Sager is the award-winning pseudonym of a former journalist, editor and graphic designer who previously published mysteries under his real name.

Now a full-time author, Riley's first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, became a national and international bestseller and was called "the first great thriller of 2017" by Stephen King. Translation rights have been sold in more than two dozen countries.