Start by marking “We Were Once” as Want to Read:

We Were Once

We were never supposed to fall in love.

New York Times bestselling author, S.L. Scott, crafts her signature heartfelt style into a brand new emotional, second chance, standalone romance.

I have three goals: graduate from an Ivy League university, get into medical school, and follow in my father’s well-established footsteps. Everything was going exactly as planned until the
Published May 28th 2020

To ask other readers questions about We Were Once, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Titir I don't think so …moreI don't think so (less)

Start your review of We Were Once
Liz
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adore it when a book sweeps me off of my feet, and We Were Once, swept me off of my feet from their first meeting. Chloe and Joshua are destiny, but they're more than that. They're so good together and you simply cannot help but root for them. It's a story of fated love and second chances and I was invested in every single word of it. (I woke up at 6:30 a.m. just so I could dive back into this book and I wake up before 9:00 for nothing.)

Chloe and Joshua are in their final year of college with
Dora Koutsoukou
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4,5 ❤️❤️💔❤️ 🌳🥼🪐 🌈✨✨✨✨s❣️❣️❣️❣️

Such a beautiful love story, heartwarming and heartbreaking, full of emotions, romance and angst.
A love bigger than the universe...

Joshua was a spectacular character! His feelings for Chloe run really deep. He showed her how to live the life how she wanted and not how her father did. To spread her wings and take a happy view at life.

“You’re more than I could have asked for. The other half of my heart that I’ve been missing.” Joshua

Chloe’s cruel father wanted his d
Syndi
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh boy what a story this is. And it is all started with a bonsai. In the past, I am not a fan of Miss Scott' s works. 2 of her books are in my DNF list. We Were Once changed my mind.

This is a very long long journey for both Chloe and Joshua. Like I said its all started with a bonsai. The first part of this book is the beginning. Then ine tragic accident changed their path. Part two is the afterward. I am glad they found their HEA.

The story and the characters are build in a very long way. Miss
Adriana Locke
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I left a piece of my heart with Joshua and Chloe.
This second chance romance is so much more than that. I even hate leading this with a trope because it doesn’t do this book justice. It is truly a second chance but it’s also first love. It’s friends to lovers. It’s enemies to lovers. It’s so real and raw and honest that it’s impossible to capture in one cute little line.
My emotions ran the gamut in We Were Once. At times, I was laughing so hard I was crying and, at other points, I was sobbing m
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We Were Once was such a beautiful love story. Equal part heartwarming and heartbreaking, a tale full of emotions, romance and angst. I absolutely love it when a book knocks me off of my feet, and boy, did We Were Once sweep me off of my feet! From the moment Chloe and Joshua met, I was immediately drawn into their story. It’s clear that they are destiny, but they're more than that. They're so magical together and you simply cannot help but root for them. Their story is a gamut of fated love and ...more
Anne OK
I was completely captivated by both Chloe Fox and Joshua Evans. This couple certainly fought hard and were put through the ringer on the path to happily-ever-after. Chasing their moon is a deeply sad and heartbreaking journey for them both.

Separated by a tragic event that will tear you apart, their story is filled with both angst and a soul-deep and steamy love. Written in beautiful prose, this story consumed me from the beginning, and I never wanted to reach The End.

This gem is the perfect sec
Terri
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Second chance romance. This started off cute for me but as i got 30% in It just didn’t hold my interest anymore. No angst and the characters felt dull to me.
Lisa
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give this a 2.5. This was such a long winded story to finally get to the point. The build up, the climax, the second chance...it was just too long and I was bored. Yes I had to skim a lot. I liked this story and frankly liked the characters in general but for the toxic nature of both fathers hovering over this story, I was expecting to learn more about the dynamic vs being told limited info. It was written well, but parts of the story were good and parts were under developed.

Josh and Chloe ha
Lauren
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I have super mixed thoughts about this one.
3.5 stars maybe??

"You're my salvation Chloe"

Chloe and Joshua are from two different worlds both facing pressures put on them by their fathers, they meet and fall fast and hard in love until a tragic accident tears them apart.

Now I started this book awhile ago and couldn't get into it so I stopped. I decided to give the audiobook a go because I generally find them easier to get into. Eventually I was so invested I read the rest in almost one si
Dawn
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
First time reading this author and I devoured this sweet, first love tale. Finding balance, sign me up. Bonsai trees, wrong side of the tracks, loyalty and love collide in this tale of first love, first heartbreak and second chance story. I am so excited I saw Becca's post about signing up to read this one. So good. Heartwarming, heart wrenching, soulmate found romance that kept me flipping the pages on the kindle at the speed of light. I couldn't get to the crux fast enough...knowing something ...more
Becky Wise
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If there is one book that you need to pick up it is We Were Once. I really wish I could give this one more then 5 stars. It is my favorite book of the year so far. The emotions, the heart, the power of love give you all the feels. I had goose bumps reading this because it is that phenomenal. I fell in love with Joshua from the start. He owned me, made me swoon and then some. I really couldn't get enough of him. I love his banter with Chloe. Those two bring a smile to my face just thinking about ...more
Kristen Johnson
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We Were Once is a story of second chances, a tale of a love that was never meant to be - and yet stood up to the test of time. Scott has woven an intricate love story between the pages of this book, a love story full of emotional highs and lows, characters who are flawed but trying their best, and angst and drama that seeps into their lives every day determined to tear them apart.

When Chloe Fox returned to New Haven for her final year of college - she could have never dreamed how her life would
Amy
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
"We've been each other's days, but we don't end in sunsets or only exist come sunrise. We've become the hours in between--twilight and dawn, the brightest noon, the darkest midnight, the golden hours. Together, we're all hours with hearts on fire."

" She's coincidences and destiny."

We Were Once is the latest heartbreakingly beautiful second chance romance from author S.L. Scott. This book delivers all of the feels and emotion and is sure to leave readers begging for more....

We Were Once follows t
sam☀️
joshua definitely carried this book. ugh the perfect man exists in this story and my heart is so full.

this wouldn’t be your cliche romance read without a sometimes frustrating heroine. but i guess without her, we wouldn’t have the perfect hero.
Sunny Shelly Reads
We Were Once is full of emotion. Chloe and Joshua have so much riding against them, get they are so, so connected that nothing else matters.

When these two meet, it is opposite-attract instalove. She’s a well-off student, he’s a townie even though he is also studying at Yale. There is nothing about Joshua and Chloe that makes sense, yet everything about them does. She grounds him and he helps her drift — much like their half-anchor tattoos represent. They fall hard and fast, but they are ripped a
Lina's Reviews  ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥ღೋBook Blogღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥
Beautiful story, beautiful characters, beautiful writing. This was my first book from this author and it's official. Chloe and Joshua stole my heart. And they can keep it.
Such an emotional love story, full of heart and depth.
This book was such a treat. Complicated but so beautiful. They come from two very different worlds, they are so very different but their love is strong and inspiring. You will laugh and you will cry. Please, read it.
Louise
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Amazon

Chloe's always been more about her grades than gossip. More about studying than having mindless, shallow fun, the kind all of her classmates were having. Then she meets a flirty, smirky guy right before her last year, and he tempts her into fun. Tempts her into straying beyond her comfort zone. But can two people from very different, very opposite worlds make love work?

Oh my God. This book shredded my heart! The emotions it wrung from me were heartbreaking. I loved every se
Snow
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, complicated, drama
Well written...
S.L. Scott
May 29, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

We Were Once

"A sweep you off your feet kind of book!!" ~ Amz Rev.
FREE to read in Kindle Unlimited. Special Release Price. 🤩 https://geni.us/WWOAm
We Were Once is LIVE!
We were never supposed to fall in love. We did it anyway. If you're looking for a book that has:
📗 You smiling one page
📕Your heart in your throat the next
📘An Irresistible Hero that is alpha to the hilt with a heart of gold when it comes to his lady love
📔A heroine that can land a comeback - verbally and emotionally. Can support hersel
Jenn Amy
5 STARS

**Audiobook Review**

In We Were Once S.L. Scott writes an incredible romance about finding love and yourself while having to make really tough and painful choices for the ones you love. I devoured this story in one sitting. I was completely swept up in the whirlwind romance when Chloe and Josh meet in the first half of the story. This story is phenomenal. So much heat, emotion, passion and angst, I couldn’t get enough. I laughed, I cried, I swooned. Every emotion I want to feel when I read
Robin Pokorny
I loved this story from beginning to end!
Flo Grugel
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I feel this book would appeal to fans of SL Scott and slow-burn romances. Chloe and Joshua were well written characters although I did find We Were Once slightly long winded.
Harleigh
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
This entire plot was just frustrating and unbelievable
Booksobsessive
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aw what a journey this love story is... second chances romances are my all time favourite, Then it’s written by Suzie and it brings perfection.
"𝘀𝗵𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝗽𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗺𝘆 𝗶𝗺𝗮𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻"
Chloe and Joshua is insta love, their relationship blossoms quickly and their love grows so deep even roots are planted.
Their chemistry is undeniable and it’s clear from The beginning they are more than lovers. These two are a couple, a team, best friends , each other’s motivation and support , true soul mat
Kari Hansen
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chloe comes from a wealthy family and is trying to live up to the dreams her father has for future and that means focusing all her energy and attention on her education so that she has the proper stepping stone for her future. It may have been chance or it may have been fate when she meets Joshua and he shows her that there is more to life than the way she has been living it and causes her to reflect on what she wants in her future.

Joshua is attending college, but his background is very differen
Rhonda Ziglar
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 PHENOMENAL STARS!! MY FAVORITE BOOK OF THIS YEAR, SO FAR!! Wow...this whirlwind of emotions I had was worth heart wrenching moment...When the author holds your hand through the story with her phenomenal words. Joshua and Chloe are life, these two will give you all the feels with their rollercoaster love. You must read this book. 💟
Annette C
The beginning is awesome.
Chloe is adorable and Josh is just perfect.
Moms are great, as is bestie Ruby.

Could have been so much deeper and real.

Then sadly it turns ridiculous, a narcissistic doctor wouldn't have control of police, district attorneys, etc.
Brenda
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will say this book felt like it went on and on and on and on.

Josh and Chloes story seemed to drag on quite a bit in the beginning and by quite a bit I mean IT WAS MORE THAN HALF OF THE BOOK.
The climax happened we saw small glimpses of it. Shit happens.
Then years later they reunite but they act like nothing ever happened and everything’s okay. I get it wasn’t her fault but how do you really move on from all that?!
The ending was cute but again the beginning dragged and the last is just rushe
Michal
Dnf 20%

Insta love and both the characters were dull.

I skimmed further to find out what separated them apart. Their fathers.

Readers with more patient for boring build up will enjoy this one.

Romance Retreat: Top 100 Bestseller 1 16 Jun 12, 2020 01:25PM
S.L. Scott Reader...: We Were Once 4 14 May 31, 2020 01:17PM
Romance Retreat: Sweep you off your feet epic romance 1 15 May 29, 2020 10:55AM
Romance Retreat: We Were Once is LIVE! 1 15 May 29, 2020 10:54AM

• California Dreamin'
  • Make Me Hate You
  • Teacher's Pet
  • Just One Kiss (Very Irresistible Bachelors, #2)
  • The Girl in the Love Song (Lost Boys, #1)
  • Stone Princess (Tin Gypsy, #3)
  • Inhale, Exhale. (Hollow Ridge #1)
  • Reckless Obsession (The Reckless Rockstar #1)
  • Lovebomb
  • Inside Affair (Prime Time, #1)
  • The Two of Us (Love in Isolation, #1)
  • P.S. It's Always Been You (Always Satisfied, #4)
  • No White Knight (Heroes of Heart's Edge #6)
  • Whiskey (Brewed #2)
  • Stealing My Best Friend (Lovers' Lane #1)
  • Take Two
  • Lucky Bastard (Cocky Hero Club)
  • Love Under Quarantine
Always interested in the arts, S.L. Scott grew up painting, writing poetry and short stories, and wiled her days away lost in a good book and the movies.

With a degree in Journalism, she continued her love of the written word by reading American authors like Salinger and Fitzgerald. She was intrigued by their flawed characters living in picture perfect worlds, but could still debate that the world

News & Interviews