Start by marking “Buried in My Past” as Want to Read:

Buried in My Past

She's desperate to stop the panic attacks. But the truth won't set her free...

Jamie Kendal sees life through the bottom of a bottle. After surviving assault and betrayal, she is forced back to her hometown to care for her mother. Not long after her return, she's plagued by terrifying slivers of memories from the night her twin brother disappeared forever...

Unearthing new e
Published February 6th 2020 by Craven Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Buried in My Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried in My Past

Start your review of Buried in My Past
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Lately, I have really started enjoying psychological thrillers.  There is something about getting into your mind and many times, I wonder how or why people do the things that they do that are "out of the norm" or what I would consider normal.

Jamie had a traumatic event in her youth and her mind blocked it out.  However, her mind must have decided that now was the time for things to be revealed as to what happened that summer at camp when her brother was killed.  The book is told from multiple PO
Jen
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. It centers on Jamie, a woman in her mid-30s who is suffering anxiety and memory loss from an event that happened at camp when she was a teenager, and resulted in her twin brother, Trevor, going missing. She heads back to her hometown because her mother had an accident, and ends up dealing with alot of things there, including increased anxiety about what may and may not have happened 18 years ago, reconnecting with friends and acquaintances from her childhood, and trying to f ...more
Jody Joy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Kendal lost her twin brother, Trevor, long ago at summer camp. She has suppressed the memories of what happened that fateful night, along with drowning her pain and loss in bottles of booze. No matter how many therapy sessions she goes to, she cannot remember what happened at Kring Camp that night.

Jamie returns home after her mother takes a tumble down the stairs to the town she grew up in, her memories from that lost time become more frequent and intense. Is someone trying to kill her and
Kimberly
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have never been as emotionally involved in a psychological thriller as I was with Buried in My Past by Eva Mackenzie. The writing is rich and full of tragedy, suspense, and above all, hope.

Jamie’s story is one that needed to be told. I know it is fiction, but honestly, I could feel myself living among these people in this little town. I felt Jamie’s pain.

Jamie could not catch a break. Starting with her tragic childhood and the loss of her brother Trevor. This tragedy has bled over into every o
Cheryl
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways. - Sigmund Freud

Jamie Kendal is a polygraph examiner working with three other investigators in Arlington, Virginia. She deals with criminals in her line of work, some of whom don't like her findings, plus she's being stalked by an ex-fiance who won't take no for an answer.

She is called back to her small hometown when her mother takes a tumble down her stairs. She's been having panic attacks and is
Hanlie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"She was weak, a spectator of her own life while she stood by, a captive to fear of an unseen threat."

Jamie nearly lost her life when she was adduced by a child predator. On top of this she found her fiance in bed with her best friend. She kicked him out but he is not accepting the fact that their relationship is over and keeps stalking her. Then she gets a phone call to say her mother fell down some stairs and is badly injured.
She has to go back home. I place that holds very bad memories but al
Amber
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, another new to me author I'm adding to my list because this book was sooo good!
Jamie despite therapy sessions cannot remember the light she lost her twin brother one summer night at Kring Camp many years ago.
Now, she is forced to return home after her mother falls down a flight of stairs, to care for her. Upon returning home she starts having flashes of her lost memories that night. Then once different people start dying around her Jamie knows she has to figure out what happened that summe
Joyce Stewart Reviews
by Eva MacKenzie
343 pages
Publication date: February 6, 2020
Publisher: Craven Ink Press
3⭐⭐⭐
🚦🚧 MY REVIEW 🚧🚦
The story is told from 7 different Points Of Views with two different timelines 2000 and current.

I really struggled with this one. There is just way too many characters and it starts off very slow. I was just about ready to give up on it when it started to pick up around 42 % into it.
I also felt like the characters could have used a little more developing. But for a debut
Dawn Byers
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jamie has made a life for herself after her twin brother disappeared - but no matter how many therapy sessions she goes to she cannot remember what happened that summer at camp. She tends to bury herself in the bottle.
Her mother is injured and she returns home to care for her. She must deal with the memories and incidents that keep happening - Who is trying to kill her and her mother? Is it related to what happened that summer at camp?
Alexis
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
First off, this book does some things very well. The tale blends a little of many popular genres including, crime, romance, mystery and thriller. The premise is strong and creates an air of suspense and curiosity that make it hard to stop reading. The stories of all the characters are well intertwined and come together nicely to solve the puzzle that is Jamie’s memories. The mystery gets wrapped up nicely with all the character arcs resolved and the major questions answered.

While I didn’t inhere
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful…and hopeful. Buried In My Past took me on quite an emotional and psychological journey that left me wanting to read more from Eva Mackenzie!

I found the plot unique and full of suspense. I was white-knuckling the book on more than one occasion. Eva Mackenzie knows how to draw you in, dangle pieces of the mystery in your face, and then shock you in the end when you couldn’t put it all together. I love a good mystery, and that is what we have here.

Jaime is a deeply relatable main charac
Cassandra Struble
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, netgalley, abuse
This book was amazing. I feel like it got started right from the beginning and never stopped twisting and turning through the whole thing. Something terrible happened back at Kring Camp, but Jamie can't remember what. All she remembers is her brother and her best friend disappeared, and no one has been able to find them. Throughout the whole book, Jamie has flashbacks that show her bits and pieces of that night, but she can't quite get all of the pieces back. Then she gets a call that her mom ha ...more
Nancy Brown
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
Fatally flawed

This book is good enough in the elements pertaining to the mystery. However, when the story veers into "romance" it is absurdly bad. The looks, the smells.the blushes, she looks, the smells, the blushes,etc. over and over again
- absolutely absurd. Unfortunately, about half of the pages are given to the absurdity, so overall doesn't reach even a half of the way success.
Valerie
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book and kept my attention. Also well written. Suspenseful without being gory.

I would recommend even though ending became obvious a bit early for my liking. Still it was a good read
Wendy
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good twists

This was one of those books I had trouble putting down because I wanted to know who dunnit. I figured it out about 2/3 the way though but it was well put together and still kept me reading til the end.
janice robertson
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Buried in my Past(Jamie Kendal book one)

Five huge stars for this absolutely brilliant book first time I have read any of this authors books but I will definitely be looking out for more
Joan I Standerfer
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read!

Interesting book -- twist and was good at keeping the readers interest as the story went forward. Recommended read for mystery readers.

Judie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful

Good mystery thriller. Enjoyed it from page 1 to the end Found it hard to put down Had to just keep going and going to I was finished. Looking forward to the next book
Kathy Berkland
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic !!!

Awesome read!! I finished reading in a day, lol. I’m really forward to reading future books by this author .
Sharon
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

I was on the edge of my seat. Couldn't wait to see how it would all turn out. I will definitely read more from this author.
Rhonda Mcpeake
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good. Kept me guessing.
Tiffany
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good twisty psychological thriller. Kept my attention and kept me guessing
Jackie
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first by me by this author definitely will not be my last! After Jamie’s brother disappeared her anxiety gripped her to the point where she doesn’t remember some of her past at the time that they spent at summer camp together. This book is a true page turner from beginning to end and the end is what was most surprising. This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time any thriller or suspense lover I highly recommend this book. A must read just wow!!!!!!!
Eva MacKenzie
Feb 05, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Buried in My Past officially goes on sale 02/06/2020.
It will be available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited.
This book is the first in the stand-alone series featuring Jamie Kendal, a polygraph examinor with a troubled past.
The second book in this series will be released in early 2021.
Claire Davis
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given Buried In My Past by Eva Mackenzie five out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐
Trigger Warning: Implied sexual assault but none ️depicted
Firstly ….wow! I can definitely say that I’ll be looking out for more material written by Eva Mackenzie in the future. I absolutely love the front cover of this book, it really helped me to imagine what Kring Camp would look like in all it’s eerie glory.
In this book we focus on the story of Jamie Kendal,
Kim Lo
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buried In My Past is a pretty great thriller. While its story, in general isn't quite as unique at first glance to other stories told in the similar type, its the way that the author executes it from its pacing to how the story is structured to building its characters that give it quite a good deal of depth and opens up a world of questions linking the past to the present of a case happening in a small town bringing back its victim to figure out her own past. Because of its good execution, this ...more
Laura Doherty
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jamie Kendal is traumatised by the assault and betrayal that she has survived. Trying to ease the pain she has taken to seeing life from the bottom of a bottle. Yet now she is having to return to a place she never expected to, her hometown to care for her mother.
At home caring for her mother, in a place that holds nothing but bad memories, but within those memories are so many blanks. Such as what happened at the summer camp to her twin brother.
As Jamie tries to uncover the truth, bad stuff star
Sharon
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to my spot on the Buried in My Past Blog Tour hosted by R&R Book Tours. I have discovered yet another new author who had me hooked from the opening line and proceeded to send me on a mind-bending ride of deviant behavior, mental instability, and murder gone wild.

Jamie Kendal is holding on by a thread. Her interesting career in Arlington as a polygraph specialist is doing fine, but her personal life is a train wreck.  Her bastard ex-fiance is stalking her after Jamie caught him in bed wit
Chasity
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If there is one genre that I love it’s thrillers, the mystery and suspense that come along with these books are always fun. This one appealed to me just based on the blurb and I knew that I had to read it. It is a book that is hard to put down. I loved the story, the chapters are broken up by who is leading them each titled with a characters name.

Jaime is a fun protaganist. She’s my favorite kind to be sure with her flaws and her attitude. She’s the best to read because you invest in who she is,
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
If you like mystery/thriller, unsolved case, and a protagonist with a mysterious past, then Buried In My Past may be the book for you! It tells the story of Jamie Kendal, a polygraph examiner, who returns to her hometown, Cedar Lake, after eighteen years as her mother was hospitalized due to an attack. As she begins to inquire about the attack, her mysterious past which caused her memory loss and the disappearance of her twin brother, Trevor, begins to unravel too.

I have to say that this book h

• Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Fatal Mercy (Wolf Lake #2)
  • Her Last Breath (Wolf Lake #1)
  • When I Was You
  • The 7 She Saw (Blake Wilder FBI, #1)
  • Storm's Fury (Amelia Storm, #1)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Shadow Falls
  • No Sister of Mine: A gripping domestic page-turner perfect for fans of The Mother-in-Law!
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
  • Rust & Stardust
  • Drown Her Sorrows (Bree Taggert, #3)
  • Privileged Witness (Witness, #3)
  • River of Bones (Wolf Lake #3)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
  • Kincaid Security & Investigations: Books 1-3 (Kincaid Security & Investigations, #1-3)
  • Written in their Stars (The Lydiard Chronicles, #3)
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11