Start by marking “Broken Albion” as Want to Read:
Broken Albion

Broken Albion

Harry Whitewolf’s straight-talking ninth poetry book takes a satirical, logical, humorous, and opinionated look at the contemporary UK Brexit-led political and cultural landscape, and imagines a world beyond division, where having compassion for one another is more important than flags.
Published January 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Broken Albion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Albion

Start your review of Broken Albion
Arthur Graham
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab collection from everyone's favorite wolf in a trilby.

I could appreciate some of these poems more than others, but the bangers were damn well bangin', and the sentiment was dead on throughout. I especially enjoyed the "Have Compassion" pieces, putting a human face on the all-too-easy to abstract "Sides" of this massively multifaceted issue. Would've loved to have heard the author's take on Morrissey's seemingly rightward drift, but if the Brits are over Morrissey more so than us Yanks, I supp
Harry Whitewolf
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Finally, the voice of reason! ;)

Paul E. Morph
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Harry Whitewolf takes on Brexit and the result is his best collection of poetry yet. It made me want to cry in frustration and rage... just like the news headlines do every... damned... day. Harry just wants us all to give a shit about somebody other than ourselves and I’m behind him on that 100%.

Petroleum Kisses

As petroleum kisses piss down from the clouds,
Earth-rapers and haters gun down the crowds.
As all little fishes disappear from the sea,
Fat cats talk claptrap to make more money.
As all pre
Jason
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020, poetry
When my copy arrived in the post my youngest decided to open it and read the first poem, she laughed and told me that Boris wouldn't like this book and we should send him a copy...so I was already liking this book before I'd even opened it.  The poetry here is very different to previous work by Whitewolf, his usual rhyming beat is gone and so is the tempo, instead there is a feeling of shock and the rhyming is to a far slower beat.

It is great to see a new book by Whitewolf, it is a shame Brexit
Jack Stark
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This liberal lefty remoaner that can't accept the democratic will of 38% of the electorate, spreading messages of unity and oneness and believing our society will work better place if we come together instead of creating further division. Bloody millennials.

Seriously, though. Harry’s poetry is excellent, and although I don’t always agree with everything being said, I can admire and appreciate the wit and humour he displays when dealing with such a sensitive and meaningful topic.
Rebecca Gransden
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brexit. Reading Whitewolf’s response to the recent political past at the time of first peak pandemic in the UK this is an odd experience. It can’t avoid having amplified reflective proportions. For a time so close it seems a world away, since events have overtaken as inhabiting the necessary forefront of the global collective consciousness. Nevertheless, Brexit remains.

As the process of implementing the UK’s extraction from select European ties continues in a slow, almost unconscious, manner, it
Mel
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2020
I am not British so a few of the references in the poems were lost on me, but many could also be applied to current affairs in the United States. I thought a lot of these were hilarious (I even read some to my wife, who also thought the ones I read were hilarious) and some were serious (obviously about a serious subject matter) and honestly make perfect sense, and I really enjoyed this poetic commentary on current affairs in the U.K. (and it could be applied to elsewhere honestly).

Pick up a cop
Casey Kiser
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favorites
The King of irreverent but logical word play and political gut punch poetry is back, guys. I'm speaking of the Indie King ~ Harry Whitewolf ~ he's howling loud and proud, calling for his tribe. This collection, just like his others, will get your adrenaline pumping and inspire you to just fucking move. DO SOMETHING. Say something. Write something. Smash something! You will have so much energy, you'll put on an old Patti Smith record , take everything out of your refrigerator and super clean it. ...more
David
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These poems are clear, reasoned, and full of passionate rage. I enjoyed them, though it would be nice to be able to have gotten them without the world having to get so screwed up. Since that’s not an option it’s at least nice to gave these poems to show for it.
Tom Boniface-Webb
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone confused by Brexit!

Wearing its subject proudly like a Union Jack bandanna at a funeral, Broken Albion can only be about one thing. The timing of the collection’s release is no accident.

Stylistically, the poet reminds of Mark E Smith and the Fall, and it would be interesting to hear his work set to a post punk soundtrack. It’s Mark E Smith meets the Liverpool Beat Poets, or John Cooper Clarke for the Brexit age.

The collection’s meaning is perhaps most pertinently felt in th
Andy
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malibu resident Morrissey nervously fondled his For Britain pin as he read Harry Whitewolf's incendiary rail against the Suppose-it-Tory Party and their scurrilous efforts to divide Great Britain from the rest of Europa. Broken Albion is a diatribe against the slanderous oafs of the Tory Party and their poster boy, Boris Bad Hair, English cousin to Donald Bad Hair.

There is prose protesting the drive to discredit Jeremy Corbyn as an anti-semite (Zionism isn't Judaism, if you don;t know the differ
Kent Winward
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poetry book for all of your Brexit needs and to feel connected to the other side of the pond as the corona virus shuts down access to the UK, you can still escape to a political dysfunction that feels positively civilized in comparison to the US. (Although Harry does make a great case for Albion's broken-ness.) ...more
Tracy
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it outloud to Husband. Timely, clever, funny and a whole lotta truth. Literature, poetry, art...it's how we'll stay sane and survive. ...more
N.R. Brooks
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Conservatives will hate this.

There is no hiding the liberal tones in these pages and that's a good thing. Bring somewhat ignorant of British politics only hampered my enjoyment slightly but didn't affect the rating at all. While many of the poems spoke to me profoundly, there were a few that felt like mere filler. Whether you align yourself with the left or the right, the key topics in these pages should resonate with you regardless of your political or philosophical alignments: compassion, awar
Dustin

Starting today, February 2nd and running to Tuesday the 4th, Harry Whitewomf's brand-new politically slanted poetry collection is free on Kindle.
Hayley
May 24, 2020
Kathleen
Aug 19, 2020

• HSTQ: Spring 2020
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Underground Movie Poems
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Otherworld
  • HSTQ: Fall 2020
  • Blowfly
  • Pour the Whiskey Over My Heart and Set It On Fire
  • River House Blues
  • Mr. 100%
  • 5 Short Story Gems: Once Were Brothers / Mr. 100% / A Gladiator's Love / The Last Tasmanian Tiger / Brooklyn Bankster
  • HSTQ: Fall 2018
  • HSTQ: Winter 2020
Harry Whitewolf is doing his own thing.

He's the author of two ragamuffin travelling tales: Route Number 11 (about Harry's five-month drunken journey around Argentina; and across the borders to Paraguay, Chile and Brazil) and The Road To Purification (which describes his mad-as-fuck pot-smoking trip around Egypt). In addition, Harry has written ten collections of distinctive contemporary poetry, in