Start by marking “Formula for a Perfect Life” as Want to Read:

Formula for a Perfect Life

Two practical strangers. One fateful night. Two pink lines.

College senior and obsessive romantic Kayla Cummings’ dreams of a storybook life are spun off course by an unplanned pregnancy after a one-night stand with her secret crush. Devastated, Kayla turns to her roommates and best friends for advice. No matter what she decides, no matter how deeply embarrassed, she has to
ebook
Published 2020 by CAH LLC

To ask other readers questions about Formula for a Perfect Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formula for a Perfect Life

Start your review of Formula for a Perfect Life
Dilushani Jayalath
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Kindly received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Picking up this book I was not sure what I really expected. I knew it would be a Christian novel and this not being the first Christian book, I expected something with less religion in it. However this book was heavily laden with God and other nuances. Not in any way am I against anything to do with religion. I do respect anyone’s faith. People should be free to follow any faith they want.

The only problem in this was that
Julia
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you firstly to #Netgalley and the publisher for this eARC of Formula for a Perfect Life.

This was such a lovely, sweet, quick read in the young/new adult romance genre; it also has religious undertones (i.e. in a 'God has a plan for us all' type of way) but for me that didn't detract from the story in that it wasn't overly 'in your face' and was more of an aside. It's nicely written by Christy Hayes and flows along well.

So the premise is that a young couple studying at the same university e
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
“There’s no formula for happy ever after in real life.”

One thing I appreciate so much about Christy Hayes’s writing is that she isn’t afraid to address head-on the temptations, the easy availability of sin, the encouragement to compromise their values that so many college-aged young adults face in today’s world – even if they are believers who were raised to know better. It gives me a fresh view of this generation and opens my eyes to the battles they fight every day. It also means that some thi
Brittany
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was such a great story and is definitely up near the top of my list of favorites. These two main characters were dealing with the consequences of their actions and did so in a manner that reflected a value for life and the understanding that their lives were going to change in a big way.

I loved the way this story progressed. There were some cringe-worthy moments involving Ben and his reluctance to completely open up about the past. These moments ended up bringing forth some true growth
Ancillar
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It follows Kayla and Ben’s two very driven students who have a one night stand that results in a pregnancy. That definitely puts a dent in all their plans and doesn’t life throw a dent in our plans all the time? It was my first Christy Hayes and I loved it. Highly recommend it.
Lori
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet read by Christy Hayes that I will definitely recommend right from the start!
I finished this book in two days. I took my time because I wanted to savor the story and enjoy Ben and Kayla.
I was drawn in from the beginning of the book until the end and I really liked how the author used the phrase God has a plan for you Karebear. He sees outside the big picture where we can only see what is front of us.
Another one I liked is the three P's Persistence, Patience and be present. Some g
Marissa | eat.books.read.food
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow. I am blown away by this book. It was perfect and it was everything I needed to help me get through another book during this troubling time we are going through. From chapter 1, I was blown away by the way the story was going, the writing and the characters within the book. I thought the story was funny all while talking about a serious topic. I loved how some of the characters always seemed to have one another's back. Some of the bonds they had, were truly genuine. I hated some of the chara ...more
Maria
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kayla who dreams of a cliche storybook romance throws all her hope out of the window when she finds out she is pregnant. Just a senior in college plus it is the result of one night stand. Maybe she has a crush on that boy too.

Ben Strickland has only one way in life. He can't afford any distraction or any other path other than getting into LAW school. But what will happen when the girl he spend a memorable night comes at his door and announce her pregnancy and that he is the father.

Two complete d
Nadia
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a advanced copy from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I thought it was a cute, quick, and emotional story. I didn’t know it was a faith based book before I read it. And that explained a lot of kaylas struggle in the beginning of the book.

The book was about college students Kayla and Ben that had to deal with the consequences of a one night stand. After getting to know each other love blossomed. But they have to deal with friends, families, and ex’s. And th
Emmie
“There’s no formula for a happy ever after in real life. It’s not like all those books you read.”

This book was cute. For the most part, I enjoyed reading it. There was a strong sisterhood with Kayla and her roommates. I love a good women supporting women storyline. Kayla and Ben were good characters. I liked both their POVs. The growth they went through felt realistic and well-paced.

Yet most Kayla and Ben’s story was smooth sailing. I wanted more resistance. I wanted the “resistance” there was
Diane
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Author Christy Hayes has a fresh and youthful voice in this novel that tackles a difficult and challenging topic. She pens an emotional and inspirational story of allowing God to take our bad mistakes and turn them into something beautiful. This happened for the main characters when they faced their mistakes honestly and made the hard but right choices. This story has a happy ending and I saw it as an encouragement and inspiration for young men and women who find themselves in this similar situa
Melissa
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I had to keep reading to see how everything would work out. I think what I loved about it was how real it felt. Like this is a real issue many people have to deal with. I think even the parents reactions are real. The parent that is normally against abortion but when it’s your child you suddenly see that as an option. I bet that is more real then we want to admit.

I word of caution if you like clean, Christian romance. This is not that. I do like clean Christian romance but I a
Phyllis
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great New Adult story of second chances

My rating is 4.5 stars

How do you take a difficult subject, make it palatable, and then ensure your readers enjoy it? I mean, really! Did you read the synopsis? How much more contemptible could a guy be than to cheat on his girlfriend and get the "other" girl pregnant? Yet, with compassion and enough light-hearted moments to keep it out of the mire, author Christy Hayes created an enjoyable, moral-filled story in Formula for a Perfect Life.

Kayla was a Christ
Andrea
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting take on the one-night stand pregnancy trope. This one has a Christian twist to it, as the two main characters have strong faith and all characters are frequently talking about God's will in their situation. I know that there's a group of people who will claim that two young people who claim to be Christians would never get themselves into such a situation, but I will disagree. To me, this was a book that felt more realistic as far as the behavior of college students. We a ...more
Amy
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a journey of how two college students let down their guard for one night, and their lives are altered for good. This is their journey and how it affects them and those they love.

Kayla didn't think that one night with her crush was going to end up with her pregnant and facing some hard decisions. Ben who is struggling in school, with his on and off girlfriend, and his relationship with his family - he certainly knows that when he tells them he got another girl pregnant that will only com
Lenoire

College student Kayla Cummings is a hopeless romantic. She has dreams of the perfect life with husband and kids. However, her dreams are dashed after finding out she is pregnant from a one-night stand with her secret crush. Kayla is devasted and unsure of what she needs to do. She turns to her best friends and roommates for advice. The only thing she does know for certain is that she will need to tell the father.

Ben Strickland's future has been written in stone by his parents. He has zero margin
Suzie Waltner
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Christy Hayes tackles a challenging, but relevant, subject in her latest New Adult release. Formula for a Perfect Life is about an unplanned pregnancy and the fallout that occurs for the two families whose lives will change.

As Ben and Kayla deal with the emotions of becoming parents, the decisions they have to make, and their friends’ and parents’ reactions, they learn about each other’s lives and revise their future plans.

Most of the book (all but the final chapter) takes place during Kayla’s p
Cover Lover Book Review
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kayla Cummings stared at the two lines so long her vision blurred.
[Opening line of Formula for a Perfect Life]

I read Ms. Hayes’s edgy new-adult story, Maybe It’s You, last year and really enjoyed watching the spiritual journey of the male lead. So, when I learned her next book was soon to be published, I couldn’t wait to dive into it.

Formula for a Perfect Life is a bit less edgy with a slightly more mature theme yet just as enjoyable. It opened strong and kept my interest throughout. The college
Jolene -
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
With its eye-catching, flirty cover, Formula for a Perfect Life by Christy Hayes might look like a romcom, but it hosts a story that deals with deep, hard issues. Kayla’s unplanned pregnancy takes the lead in the novel, but guilt, shame, poor choices, and more are addressed as Kayla and Ben find themselves suddenly in crisis. As the crisis begets character development, both Ben and Kayla mature and are drawn to one another. One of my favorite moments in the novel occurs when Ben stands up to def ...more
Bethany Clark
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me say - I LOVED everything about this book! The cover is gorgeous, the story has all the feels and the mail characters (Kayla and Ben) have so much depth and emotion and have you rooting for them till the end!

Both of these college students had a moment of weakness, no protection and SURPRISE! A little cutie is on the way. What will they do?

This book brought some emotions back to when I was pregnant with my daughter almost 19 years ago. I was in college and just started dating someone and
Lisa Konet
***** READER BEWARE: Christian religious rom-com*****

This is definitely a realistic book and a rom-com for sure BUT it is also a highly religious book, and all sorts of God are mentioned throughout. For me it wasn't completely off-putting because I am a huge fan of the religious Left Behind thriller series by TIm LaHaye. Obviously this is not a thriller...

Kayla hookups up with her secret crush Ben and ends up pregnant, and dreads telling her rich father. Do Ben and Kayla decide to have a real r
Malia
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
You can view my different reviews on my blog.

I think for me, I had a hard time really getting into this book. I felt a disconnect as a reader to the characters. But, I do admit during the entire book I was rooting for Ben and Kayla. I wanted them to be together. In the end, I feel like their relationship progress was a little rushed. For me, it seemed like the author was rushing their relationship so it would fit into the timeline of the pregnancy.

I admit Ben and Kayla are pushed into a hard si
Johanna
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you again to #netgalley and #xpressotours for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Since I read the synopsis I was so intrigued about the story, It was an easy and sweet read and while I was reading it I found myself rooting for Ben and Kayla, I wish we had more of their relationship before the pregnancy because sometimes I didn't feel a real connection between them at the beginning. I love the two POV’s it gives me the whole picture of their real feelings and struggles which
maiaisreading
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Formula for a Perfect Life by Christy Hayes

“Kayla Cummings. Don’t think for one second you’re unlovable because you have a baby. Whoever God has planned for you is in for a double blessing. He’ll be ready and willing to love you both.”

I didn’t have much expectations when I picked up this book as this is my first from this author. The story kind of grew on me the more I read it. The story is not new and it’s an issue that we hear or read in our society.

The book starts with Kayla finding out that
Belle
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Kayla & Ben are studying at the same university ended up having an one night stand which results in Kayla being pregnant.
They both have their own problems but this one is about how they deal their issues, the unplanned pregnancy and fall for each other. Both the main characters are good and enjoyable. I liked Kayla's mom and her brother. I didn't like both Ben's dad & Kayla's dad and Darcy. She is so clingy.
There are some cute moments between Kayla & Ben but the romance felt forced. I felt it c
Michelle Kidwell

Christian
New Adult
Pub Date 30 Mar 2020

I am reviewing a copy Formula for a Perfect Life through CAH LLC and Netgalley:

They were practically strangers but one fateful night things change.

Kayla Cummings is a college senior and obsessive. She dreams of a storybook life but that is all spun off of course by a pregnancy that was unplanned after a one night stand with her secret crush.

Kayla is devastated and turns to her best roommates and her
Xee V.
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this ARC.

Formula for a Perfect Life was a sweet read. We follow along as both Kayla and Ben learn how they're going to handle a delicate life change. A situation that will affect all their loved ones and friends.

Christy did a great job at describing just how any college student would react to their situation along with the thoughts running through Kayla's mind. Their concerns were realistic, at times I found myself frustrated and eager to help solve s
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved how the author's boldness in writing about one of the common struggles of young adults christians and how to deal with it. I loved the sincerity and depth. The author did not coat things but spelt them out with grace and how to move forward with God's help.

My favorite character was Kayla's mum. I admired her so much. Her words of advice and how she stood by her daughter even when she got pregnant out of wedlock was so amazing. The world needs mums like her.

Kayla and Ben had messed us.
Ruth Hill
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

As I began this book, I expected a fairly typical Christian romance with nothing extraordinary about either the story or the writing style. I am happy to state that this book was far better than I expected. The Christian belief system is the foundation for this book and its characters, but there is no preaching or proselytizing. Also, there are a couple minor i
Courtney
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I expected, and that is definitely not a bad thing. I pictured this book being more party heavy, like some college romances that I have read in the past (love those too). But this book was grounded into religion without being preachy, and that was absolutely wonderful and a nice surprise. However, I think some of the conflict was too nicely wrapped up, and ended quickly. Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely, and I am very grateful I was granted an advanced copy.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Before I Called You Mine
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • Dear Ava
  • Hotshot Doc
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Socialite
  • Not So Nice Guy
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Until I Met You (Restoring Heritage, #2)
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • A Mosaic of Wings
  • All That Really Matters
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
  • I Hate You
  • Carolina Breeze (Bluebell Inn Romance, #2)
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
Christy lives outside Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband and three dogs. When not writing, she’s reading, walking dogs, or stalking her adult children on social media.

Find out more at http://www.christyhayes.com

News & Interviews