Start by marking “The Good Turn” as Want to Read:
The Good Turn

The Good Turn

(Cormac Reilly #3)

The unputdownable new novel from the bestselling author of The Ruin and The Scholar. Police corruption, an investigation that ends in tragedy and the mystery of a little girl's silence - three unconnected events that will prove to be linked by one small town.

While Detective Cormac Reilly faces enemies at work and trouble in his personal life, Garda Peter Fisher is
Published February 24th 2020 by HarperCollins - AU

To ask other readers questions about The Good Turn, please sign up.
Anna It is part of a series but you can read each individually. I do think you get a bit more if you read them in order but several reviewers have started…moreIt is part of a series but you can read each individually. I do think you get a bit more if you read them in order but several reviewers have started with this one, enjoyed it, and are now going back to read the first two.(less)

Start your review of The Good Turn
Kylie D
What a wonderful series this is turning out to be. In The Good Turn, the third book in the Cormac Reilly series, Cormac is left to investigate the abduction of a young girl with a woefully inexperienced and understaffed team, while officialdom puts all their resources into a potential drug bust. When a tragedy happens Cormac and his team are sitting ducks, and left as scapegoats.

With his career on the line, yet again, Cormac finds himself fighting for himself and his team, while his enemies in
Carolyn
This excellent series is improving with each book and in this third in the series Dervla McTiernan has really ramped up the suspense and the pressure on DS Cormac O'Reilly. The writing is terrific with a gripping plot that kept me enthralled.

Cormac is still struggling after his move to the Garda Station in Galway where he is resented by those outside his team. The Superintendent doesn't make his life easy, refusing him the extra man power he needs when a young girl is snatched of the street.
Phrynne
Dervla Mc Tiernan returns with book three of her Cormac O'Reilly series and she continues excel.

Things are as bad as they could be for poor DS Cormac O'Reilly . Nothing is going right for him in any area of his life right now. His girlfriend is living and working overseas, many of his colleagues appear to dislike him, and worst of all the management seem to want him long gone. I felt sorry for him for much of the book but also admired him for his conscience and his determination to do the right
PattyMacDotComma
Cormac took a breath, a sudden involuntary inhalation. He felt as if the solid ground beneath his feet had been removed, as if he was standing, swaying, at the top of a cliff and the wind was at his back. I dont understand, he said.

Of course not. Reilly has been working with a smaller and smaller team of garda (Irish police) in circumstances obviously designed to set him up to fail. Hes a nuisance, because hes smart, thorough, asks questions, and follows through.

Hes also the sort of fellow
Brenda
DS Cormac Reilly needed men his Superintendent wouldnt oblige, saying they were all out on a drug bust. Cormac had never seen eye to eye with his super, but hed thought he was a fair man; that when a young girl had been abducted, hed throw everything at the search for her before it was too late. But no Cormac was working with a skeleton crew and when Garda Peter Fisher hadnt been able to contact Cormac, hed gone on his own, after the suspect he was sure was the culprit. The results were dire

Mandy White
Have you read The Ruin and The Scholar by Dervla McTiernan? If you are a crime and police procedural fan then you really need to get your hands on them. The Good Turn is the 3rd book in the Cormac Reilly series and in my opinion the best one yet. Police corruption, a missing girl and the mystery of another girl who is traumatised, this book has everything you want in a crime and thriller read.

The Good Turn is a twisty and well executed story following 3 main storylines . Cormac is struggling
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: It was so cold now. He was vaguely aware that he'd started to shiver again. How long would it take the others to arrive? He should call in. He searched his pockets for his phone, didn't find it. An image of the phone propped up on the central console of the police car presented itself to him. He'd left it there. Oh Christ. Peter swallowed against a wave of nausea. He wasn't going to puke here, not at the scene, where the contents of his stomach could be later dissected in a forensics ...more
Andrea
4.5★

Cormac Reilly #3 is the best so far, in what has been a must-read series right from the start. Dervla McTiernan is a first class storyteller.

In The Good Turn, Garda Peter Fisher is called back in to work on his long-awaited day off, after a child-abduction is reported in suburban Galway. Fisher interviews the witness on his way back to the station and instinctively knows it's legitimate. His boss, DS Reilly, has no choice but to put all other cases on hold because his team is severely under
Gloria Arthur
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This new book features Detective Cormac Reilly and is set in Dublin, Ireland 2015. Cormac Reilly has appeared in two previous books by this best selling author. This is the first book of the series that Ive read and I cant wait to read the others.

The story opens with Anna and her young daughter Tilly sitting in the doctors waiting room, Tilly hasnt spoken in 3 months! What is the mystery of her little girls silence?

Elsewhere the violent abduction of a young girl punched and shoved into the boot
Marianne
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Good Turn is the third novel in the Cormac Reilly series by Irish-born Australian author, Dervla McTiernan. Does it start with the abduction of a girl walking her dog, witnessed by a young boy from his sickbed? Or does that incident just kick off something that has been coming since Detective Inspector Cormac Reilly first arrived at Mill Street Garda Station in Galway?

After a shooting that sees him under threat of prosecution and jail, Detective Peter Fisher is transferred to the village of
Lee
I enjoyed The Ruin and The Scholar but I think McTiernan stepped it up another notch with this, the third in the Cormac Reilly series.

Although the series is named after Garda Cormac Reilly, McTiernan wrote much of The Ruin and The Scholar from the point of view of other characters. In The Good Turn she does this again. It kind of annoyed me in the first two books (I like Reilly and I want to read more about him!) but this time I felt like I accepted it more graciously. This is probably a
Heidi
Dervla McTiernans Cormac Reilly series is one of my favourite police procedurals and I was very excited to get the opportunity to read her latest novel. I am happy to say that it lived up to all my expectations!

The book starts with a kidnapping, and a shooting from here follows a taut and nerve wrecking police procedural that had me on the edge of my seat until the end. As with previous books, I was reminded how much I like the main character, DI Cormac Reilly, who embodies the type of person
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, aww
WOW!!!!! The best in the series ... tension filled pages, fabulous characters, and the BEST ending.

My View:
Faultless, brilliant, tense, complexthis book lives up to all the hype!

This, the third book in the Cormac Reilly series, is an outstanding, read in one sitting type of read!

I dont know what else I can add to this review that you wouldnt have already seen/read/heard somewhere else before. This is intricate story of corruption, of love and of vice and fortitude.

This book has definitely
Lizp
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cormac Reilly for the trifecta. A third excellent Cormac read.

Detective Sergeant Cormac Reillys Superintendent is an irritant. If he were a fly youd swat him stone dead. Cormac needs troops for a kidnapping but the stubborn Super says theyre all out on a drug bust. Cormac had never got on with the Super. In fact, Cormac is the kind of guy who makes a habit of annoying his superiors. Garda Peter Fisher chases the suspect with disastrous results.

Peter Fisher gets sent to the town of Roundstone
Jennifer (JC-S)
The waiting room was ugly and neglected.

Dublin, Ireland, 1 September 2015. Annas young daughter Tilly has stopped talking. Anna cant change her circumstances in Dublin, so she decides to take Tilly to Galway.

Galway, Ireland, 31 October 2015. Garda Peter Fisher is having a rare day off, enjoying life, when he receives a call from his colleague, Deirdre Russell:

Reilly wants to know if you can come in for the afternoon.

The station is shorthanded (again) as most resources have been diverted to a
Natalie M
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant series this is, with number three being an excellent addition. The only downside now is waiting for number four!

Cormac Reilly is one of the best characters Ive read. This instalment is based predominantly in Galway and the small seaside town of Roundstone. Politics, corruption, drugs, intimidation and dogged detective work all work brilliantly in this read. Add a dash of family drama, relationship changes and small town issues, you have a novel that will please so many readers.

Georgia
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking read from Dervla McTiernan. The Good Turn is straight off the blocks intense, tight and tangled - the very best kind of crime fiction. One of those rare occasions where you find yourself halfway through thinking - how is she going to pull this off? And then racing through the rest to find out. The Good Turn elevates the world of Cormac Reilly and the Irish Gardai to another spectacular level. Excellent police procedural/crime thriller - I can't wait for the next one!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
One of the significant plot lines of the series so far is brought to a close in The Good Turn, the third book to feature Irish Garda Detective Cormac Reilly in Dervla McTiernans brilliant police procedural series, though not before Reilly nearly loses everything.

It begins when a young girl is abducted from a suburban street and Murphys refusal of resources to properly investigate leads Garda Peter Fisher to make a fatal error in judgement. As his supervising officer, Cormac is held responsible
Nicole
The Good Turn, the third in the Cormac Reilly crime series, is the latest book from Australian author, Dervla McTiernan. Having enjoyed McTiernans debut novel, The Ruin, I hadnt got around to reading her second book, The Scholar. In light of seeing McTiernan at an author event to promote The Good Turn, I decided to skip The Scholar. I was pleased to note that The Good Turn could be read as a stand alone. McTiernan provides plenty of detail to fill in the blanks for new fans or fans of old who ...more
Cass Moriarty
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irish / Australian author Dervla McTiernans third novel The Good Turn (Harper Collins 2019) builds on her crime series featuring Detective Cormac Reilly, after the success of her previous books The Ruin and The Scholar. Once again, she gives readers a solid police procedural, a fast-paced plot with plenty of twists and turns, crime and corruption, and most importantly, a character-driven narrative that is as much about the people we have come to know and care about as much as it is about the ...more
Helen
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Following up her most successful debut The Ruin, author Dervla McTiernan delivered a sensational second story in the Cormac Reilly series The Scholar which I just loved. Now, the third (and possible final for this series momentarily) comes, The Good Turn. Dervla (who you simply must listen to via podcast interviews - she is wonderful) truly cements herself in crime fiction writing.

If you are a crime/police procedural fan then you are in for a real treat with these books. They are brilliant. Do
Marianne
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good Turn is the third novel in the Cormac Reilly series by Irish-born Australian author, Dervla McTiernan. The audio version, brilliantly narrated by Aiofe McMahon, is an utter joy to listen to. Does it start with the abduction of a girl walking her dog, witnessed by a young boy from his sickbed? Or does that incident just kick off something that has been coming since Detective Inspector Cormac Reilly first arrived at Mill Street Garda Station in Galway?

After a shooting that sees him under
Claire
This is the third crime novel in the Cormac Reilly series, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two novels The Ruin and The Scholar, but with book #3 The Good Turn, Dervla McTiernan has claimed a spot as one of my favourite crime writers. The Good Turn was a great read, I was hooked from the start. I think knowing Cormac and his coworkers' backstory really helped make a difference in how much I enjoyed this book. I really do recommend you read them in order because the characters' personal lives play ...more
Bridget
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review to come
Helen O'Toole
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
The speed with which I read a novel is a sure indication that the plot and characters have completely captured my attention. I had the good fortune to buy The Good Turn at the Perth Writers' Festival on Saturday last plus I had the great pleasure of Dervla McTiernan actually signing my book.
I have loved her two previous novels and I am especially fond of Detective Cormac Reilly so despite my good intentions to leave reading The Good Turn till I had finished my present book, I succumbed to the
Bree T
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery, arc, cultural
This series is amazing.

Three books deep now and each book is an incredible story on its own but combined they are shaping a police organisation overrun by corruption. Cormac Reilly is still in a precarious position hes not popular in his Galway station, and his personal situation has changed too. Cormac doesnt have the warmth of home to balance the days at work where hes frustrated and stonewalled at every turn when he tries to ask his boss for extra resources.

This book starts with a child
Claire
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Good Turn goes unpunished, or so they say. Arghhhhh that can't be the end! I can't wait for another one to be written.

This is, without a doubt, the best Cormac Reilly novel so far. I loved the Ruin and liked the Scholar a lot but I had no idea that this was waiting in the wings.

Based in terrible times in the Galway police force: corruption abounds, drugs are cheap and easily available, resources are stretched to the thinnest possible. Detective Sergeant Cormac Reilly is having some personal
Tracey
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good Turn is McTeirnans third in the Cormac Reilly series and it is a corker.
How do a seemingly series of unconnected events swarming around Cormac Reilly threaten to end his career? That is the poser Dervla McTiernan gives to you the reader. As she teases you to find the link between a young girl who is mute due to a traumatic event, an investigation to locate an abducted girl that ends in tragedy and police corruption all influence Reilly.
As the third book in the series, McTiernan has hit
Hayley
This might be a case of its not you, its me because I did struggle a little with this one. I have read both of Dervlas previous novels as well as her short novella audiobook. They were all fantastic. This one just didnt hit the mark for me. Her characters, as always are the strongest part of her novels and very well drawn. The story just didnt captivate me as much this time round, but as I said it could be me. I have found it increasingly hard to concentrate on reading fully at the moment ...more
Calzean
The author is gaining a reputation as a top notch police/crime writer and deservedly so. I've not read her previous books and did not realise until coming to do this review that this was the third of a series.
The story has three main characters, Peter and Cormac who are policemen and Anna who with her daughter escapes from Dublin to the remote village of Roundstone. The three stories come together as a series of murders, a drug gang, corrupt police and strained family relationships are covered.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Silver
  • Bruny
  • The Weekend
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Sheerwater
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • In The Clearing
  • Where the Truth Lies
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • Riptides
  • The Paris Model

Cormac Reilly (3 books)
  • The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)