Start by marking “Counting Backwards From Gone” as Want to Read:
Counting Backwards From Gone

Counting Backwards From Gone

On November 27, 2013, Kat Savage’s life forever changed. Her little sister, Angela, was brutally murdered and Savage has been searching for the strength to write her grief down ever since. Finally, just shy of six years later, and one year after justice finally rained down upon the man to blame, Savage found the courage to try. This collection is an 18-poem narrative of th ...more
Published September 20th 2019 by Independently published (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Counting Backwards From Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Backwards From Gone

Start your review of Counting Backwards From Gone
Tiffany S
Heart wrenching collection

The cover of this is collection is so beautiful. You see it and can’t help but want to pick it up.

Then I read the words, the grief, and somewhere around “10” tears start steaming down my face and the rest is read through the blur of tears.

So looking at the cover now, the long blonde hair; the halo... I can’t help but cry more. I can’t help but feel the anguish. I can’t help but want to hold and hug the author, a big sister like myself.

Maria
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know if I’ve ever read something so personal in my entire life like Counting Backwards from Goodbye. Kat delivers an explosive recounting of an unspeakable horrific tragedy. I literally felt my blood drain from my body as I read to the beginning, my instinct screamed with her and rage burned just as bright. WE DO NOT DESERVE KAT SAVAGE and here she is giving us works of art that raise the mother fucking bar.
J.R. Rogue
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This poetry collection, about the author’s loss of her sister, punched a giant hole in my chest. I had to stop many times to wipe the tears.

If you’ve experienced loss and want to feel less alone, pick this up.
Brigitte Thomas
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My heart is still aching in my chest, and there are literally tears drying on my cheeks. This poetry book was a gut punch, but at the same time, somehow, a comfort. As someone who sometimes gets so lost in grief that they can't see straight, these poems made me feel less alone in my grief. Kat has put something so painful in words, and it moved me. Truly. Deep and powerful. ...more
Sarah Barrios
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage writes this book of poetry in a raw and emotional dedication to her little sister’s death. She holds nothing back and let’s her emotions bleed onto the pages. From page one she had me in the palm of her hand, tears running down my face. Immediately after finishing the last page I wanted to turn it over and start page one all over again.
talon smith
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still not 100% convinced that I deserve Kat Savage. I really don’t.

But man, she strung these words together and made the most beautiful sounds and images. The sounds traveled to my heart and I felt it in my bones.

You guys be sure to be on the look out for her newest collection.
K
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat's latest collection has left me speechless. She usually does. With every word Kat's grief crawled off of the page and into my heart. Number 14 hit me the hardest, for some reason. ...more
Carla
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful and authentic. Speaks to all kinds of griefs. So happy to have experienced it.
Keeana
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I felt her grief
Daniele
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raw honesty in its purest form. I truly have no words to better describe what I felt reading this.
Breann
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schmoetry
Short and sad

I normally try to infuse humor in my reviews, but there is nothing funny about this poetry. Her grief is an itchy sweater that left me feeling cold and uncomfortable. And that is as terrible as it is inspiring.

I’m in awe of poets that can put their emotions on display and embrace this level of vulnerability.

In my opinion, the formatting/numbering is well thought out, making the group cohesive and enhancing the overall quality of the collection.
Christina Nicole
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These words will haunt you.

The entire time I was reading this I felt like I was looking in on something I shouldn't be seeing. It felt too intimate. The grief, so transparent on every page I wanted to look away, but I couldn't.

Haunting and beautiful, she gives you a front row seat into the trenches of the kind of hurt that overwelms in the wake of a loss that is so close to her heart it feels like a piece of you was lost with it.

Kat's words are heavy and they bleed.

Be warned.
Muhemed Masika
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lead you here
Jean
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing But Emotional

I have cried so much while reading Kat's poems about losing her sister to a horrible death. I cannot tell you how my heart is breaking for everything that they have gone through and still going through. This is something that they have to live through and my heart goes out to all of them. You really need to read these poems but make sure that you have the tissues because you will need them. Thank You Kat for this book it will stay with me for a long time.
Dana zamora
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prayers

I thank you Kat and your family for sharing this tragedy that happened to your sister, truly amazing book to remember her, I cried while reading this book, hopefully the monster will get his just rewards in prison, I'm so very sorry for your losses, this is a beautiful tribute to her memory, thank you, Dana
Ashly
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
If you've experienced a significant loss, read this. If you haven't, realize how lucky you are, and then read this.

I carry around my own bucket of rocks, so this slim chapbook truly touched me.
Christina Spicer
Wow

I can feel the sadness and the feeling in these poems. I feel your loss so deeply. I cannot express the sadness and the strength I see and feel in your words. Sending you all the love I can give for your loss. You will never forget your words will live on! This is a must read for poetry and grief!
Cathy
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raw, clear emotion, perfectly describing the inability to breathe through grief. A beautiful collection of poetry for her sister.
Gina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a short collection in which Kat discusses the murder of her sister and the ripple effect it had on my family and her personal psyche. Some lines hit you like a gut punch and other make you think of - does time heal everything or do some memories slowly fade to keep us from going insane.
Brooke Anderson
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Briana
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage has always been one of my favorite writers. I lover her style and her words. Her poetry has always touched my heart and soul and I often feel drawn to it when I need to know I’m not alone.

This collection is a beautiful offering to her sister and the awful tragedy everyone has lived in her family. Kat Savage writes about a loss that doesn’t just stop and the heartbreak that is felt over and over. Kat truly does justice for her sister and the life she didn’t get to live and I can hones
ReadingTilTheBreakOfDawn
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat frickin Savage....what can I say about this collection?

From the cover, which is absolutely stunning, to the very end, this book is a thing of beauty and pain. You can feel the heartbreak, the anguish and the love this woman has for her sister. I can't imagine the onslaught of emotions she must have felt and still feels.
These are deeply personal poems that she shared with us and I can't say anything bad about them. I will say that I had to stop after 2-3 poems each night because of the tears
Kat
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are moments in time that will forever be ingrained into one’s being. Moments and events that occur in this world that don’t effect your every day life but once you’ve been exposed to the evil you can’t run from it.
This book of poems is one of those moments.
Kat has ripped from her chest the pain and grief that simmers within every day since her sister was violently taken.
Kat put into words how even the most mundane parts of living after death is excruciating. How the sun will never rise
Kinsey Taylor
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve been able to visually see since my surgery on 09/16. It was the first one I knew my searching heart would run to, once I could. Thankful for the large sized lettering on my Kindle tonight to be able to enlarge and witness and feel the words cut so deep. Kat!! If I could wrap you in my arms and hold you, whisper how proud of you I am for sharing your words of love, pain and strength, I would. You’re so brave for cutting yourself wide open to share your truths. Thank yo ...more
Scott
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poetry is my first love. There are many poets I admire. Sylvia Plath has always been my favorite. After reading this book, Kat is tied for 1st place.I felt every human emotion possible while reading this book. I could feel every single word in every line she wrote. It's impossible for me to describe how important this work of art is to the world. I strongly suggest buying a copy for yourself and another copy for a friend. Whether you are a fan of poetry or not, you will love this book. Kat Savag ...more
Elizabeth Sanders
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You're going to need some tissues before you start reading this poetry collection.

I am speechless.

This poetry collection is raw. It's so powerful. It's heart wrenching. Kat is vulnerable. The pain in this poetry collection, you can feel it. I can feel the heartbreak and anguish. I had to wipe my tears many times. This is such a beautiful poetry collection. The love that Kat has for her Sister. Much love to you Kat and to your family. ❤
Misty
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You think you know grief. What it feels like. How to cope. Then Kat comes along and truly opens your eyes.
There’s so much beauty in her pain. With every page I kept repeating, “I’m so sorry.”
You know you’ve come across true talent when you grieve a loss that isn’t yours. You feel heavy deep in your marrow.
This is love and this is loss. Thank you for your words, Kat.
Chasity
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even imagine what Kat and her family have gone through and continue to suffer today. This was a raw, gripping, and powerful collection exposing the truth of devastation Kat has endured. Never has a poetry collection make me weep as this one did.
Persephone
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems seeped into my marrow and bled through my pores. So devastatingly beautiful. And not for the faint of heart. If there is one I love about poetry, it’s that it tells a powerful story. And Kat has exposed herself in these poems.
Margo Angélique
grieving is ugly and a hard burden to bear but this, this was beautiful. i don't really have words for this but this is the amount of vulnerability and honesty i hope to be able to display one day. with this much courage. ...more

• I'm Not Your Paper Princess
  • Poems for the Stars: Vol 2
  • One More Step
  • Ruin Me
  • Apus: Poems
  • Downfall (Kingdoms of Sin, #1)
  • The Rebound
  • Half Truths (Secret Society, #1)
  • Insolent
  • Forever Yours, Abel
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.