Start by marking “Bad Turn” as Want to Read:
Bad Turn

Bad Turn

(Charlie Fox Thriller #13)

Charlie has quit her job in close protection, been turned out of her apartment, and is apparently out of options. Why else would she be working for a shady arms dealer?

House-sitting in rural New Jersey has to be the pits — TV and TV dinners. A far cry from Iraq... Bulgaria... Afghanistan.
Unlucky or not, she happens to be around at the right time to foil a violent kidnap
Published September 27th 2019 by ZACE Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Bad Turn, please sign up.
Tom Mc Kenna Even though it is a series that contains a little futuristic sci-fi woo-woo Dean Koontz's Jane Hawk series provides a female protagonist (a rouge FBI …moreEven though it is a series that contains a little futuristic sci-fi woo-woo Dean Koontz's Jane Hawk series provides a female protagonist (a rouge FBI agent} that definitely puts the bad in badass along with a colorful cast of side characters.(less)

Start your review of Bad Turn
Maureen Carden
In Bad Turn (Charlie Fox # 13) close protection specialist Charlie Fox has found herself without a job, a home; but with a non-compete clause and a good chance of deportation all because she resigned from her job with Armstrong -Meyer. Parker Armstrong did not take too well to Charlie quitting and the other partner, Sean Meyer has disappeared completely.
Oh yeah, Charlie lost her firearms license too; which would have come in handy when she drove up on an attempted kidnapping in the wilds of New
The Cats’ Mother
I feel very privileged to have received an ARC direct from the author, as this is my absolute favourite series, bar none, and this latest instalment reminds me exactly why. It is the thirteenth book in the Charlie Fox series, and there's also a prequel novella and some short stories. I've read them all and highly recommend starting at the beginning to get her full story; having said that, if you dive straight into this one there is enough backstory to get by.

Bad Turn is set a few months after th
Woman Reading
Revised January 2020

Bad Turn is written as a standalone thriller, even though this is the 13th novel. The fallout from events in Fox Hunter (#12) have been life changing for Charlie Fox, as she was once again at a fork in the road, career-wise. Having lost trust in her employer, Charlie had abruptly given notice without remembering the perks of her employment with Armstrong-Meyer, such as, the apartment with a Central Park view and her firearms. She was soon rudely reminded as she became homeles
Sandy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm behind on reviews & in a brilliant move to remedy the situation, I immediately picked this at random from my kindle & began reading. Yep, my Queen of Procrastinators crown is intact.

Lots of reviews for this so I'll keep it short. Confession: I'd read a previous book in this series & it was just an ok read for me. Times have obviously changed because I really enjoyed this one. Charlie is a smart, gutsy woman with a snarky sense of humour that kept me grinning while I ducked & covered through
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the Charlie Fox I like. Working for herself (well, under a bit of duress) and not in the convoluted entanglements of working for Parker. And as much as I liked Sean and Charlie together, their relationship the last few books had been been too full of suspicion and drama. Charlie is on her own again, kicking butt and doing it under her own rules. That’s just the way I like it. Nice twist at the end. I had completely forgotten and wasn’t expecting it. I’m hopeful that Charlie is finally fr ...more
Skip
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jobless, Charlie Fox is housesitting in a rural area in NJ when she comes upon an attempted kidnapping scene and rescues the victim without a gun, using her honed skills and improvising, as she always does. Charlie remains a kick-ass heroine, who will do whatever the job takes. Skeptical, the victim's husband hires Charlie to replace a gravely injured bodyguard. The husband is involved in some very shady business, and Charlie faces daunting challenges as she cannot even determine whether her foe ...more
Roman Clodia
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of my guilty pleasure series, and one worth clearing some reading space for. While Sharp's plotting and writing are as slick and, er, sharp as ever, though, I can't help feeling that something is missing.

For me, what made this series was Charlie's long, troubled and complicated relationship with Sean Meyer - it gave her an inner life, made her questioning and vulnerable alongside her scarier physical skills, and raised the emotional stakes in the books - remember the stunning turnar
Tom Mc Kenna
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yea! at the end of the story Charlie is finally heading back to England the country I feel where she truly belongs. This was a fast paced thriller that does not disappoint and also leaves us with Charlie finally realizing that relationships without a solid foundation of indisputable trust can never really work well. On my wish list for her future I hope she returns to continue refurbishing her parent's cottage. In a symbolic way the restoring of the cottage reprents Charlie's own rebuilding of h ...more
K, Nz
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Advance Reader Copy and this is an honest review.

Loved it, the story flowed at breakneck speed, not that I wanted to take a break from it.
Trademark twists and turns, and clever turns of phrase, Charlie still has heart and principles in spite of sometimes awful odds.

SO good to be able to read this instalment in the series, that meets the need I have for a well-written story. There's a reason why Zoë Sharp is my favourite author.

As per usual I want to know what happens next.....
Diane
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the Charlie Fox series, and this book doesn't disappoint. Strap yourself in for the ride, it's going to get bumpy! Lee Child says if Jack Reacher was a woman he would be Charlie Fox.

Charlie finds herself unemployed and homeless, then chance(or by design) offers her some respite. Charlie is driving through the woods back to where she is house sitting and comes across a full blown ambush on persons unknown (for now). She helps out as only she can and gets a job offer as a "body gua
Karmen
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
An absolute page-turner. I received an advanced reader copy of this book and was immediately pulled into the story. Bad Turn is a pacy thriller with intriguing characters and quite a few twists.

Charlie Fox, a woman of many talents, finds herself in a tricky situation. While guarding the wife of a wealthy arms-dealer, she needs to both figure out who she's actually spying on and who she can trust. Things get even more complicated once people from her past start catching up.

I found myself unable t
Diane
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Fox is back with a vengeance. We've had to wait a couple of years since Fox Hunter, wondering if quitting her job, and accepting that Sean as she knew him has gone, would mean the end of our adventures together and author Zoe Sharp would be exploring new characters. But Charlie is here in full kick-ass mode, in another winning chapter. The full-throttle (Fireblade?) adventure never lets up its pace, the setting is well-realized (more than I ever wanted to know about guns), and the comple ...more
Judith Baxter
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to receive my ARC copy of Zoe Sharp’s latest book. Bad Turn is book 13 in the Charlie Fox series. Yes, thirteen!

At the end of the last book Charlie gave notice to her Boss Parker Armstrong and as a consequence has no job, nowhere to live and because of a non-competition clause in her contract with Armstrong Meyer, she can’t get another job in close protection in the US. So we find her house sitting in rural New Jersey, bored with this dull life so different to what she is used t
Elizabeth Robinson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(I received an advanced reader's copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. THANK YOU, Zoe!!)
Charlie Fox is back! This was a thrilling read from the first chapter to the last sentence. Charlie is hired to be a bodyguard for an arms dealer's wife, but is given a secret assignment as well. A character from a previous book is back, for better or for worse, and we are introduced to many new ones, all well-drawn and believably motivated. The action (and there is plenty of it!
Claire
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline although slightly confusing at times.
Hermann.Sch.
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came across my first Zoë Sharp/Charlie Fox novel (Hard Knocks, #3) several years ago in the lost-and-left-behind-books library of my holiday hotel in Italy and have been addicted ever since. All twelve novels, a handful of short stories and the prequel to the series are absolutely great stuff and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes high velocity thrillers.
Charlie Fox is witty, lethal - and female. She’s back, and that’s good.
Her new adventure “Bad Turn”, the 13th of author Zoë Sharp’s
Jenni
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read and loved every novel in this series, and this one did not disappoint. Charlie Fox's life appears to have taken a turn for the worse when she comes upon an attempted kidnap scene and uses the tools at hand to rescue the victim. The ups and downs of her life are in sharp focus as she embarks on her next assignment. If you've followed the series, the reader has already seen leaps and bounds of growth in Charlie, and yet, she still has room to grow.

Zoe Sharp's writing is crisp, packed
Hobart
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
“OK, let’s talk weapons. You got any preference?”

I shrugged. “I like the SIG P226, if you have one, but as long as it goes bang when I press the trigger, I’m not too fussy.”

WHAT'S BAD TURN ABOUT?
Charlie's left her job—which costs her her home, he guns, and leaves her working security on the sort of drinking establishment that she'd never have walked into. She's about 6 minutes away from making Jack Reacher look financially stable.

She stumb
Steve Black
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read every Charlie Fix novel to date and enjoyed every one immensely. This is no exception. As ever an intricate plot is matched with non stop action and a cast of characters who may be on one side or the other.
ADAM WHITEHOUSE
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t stop reading it! Awesome

Great characters and plot with explosive, exhausting non-stop action this Is another great novel of the Charlie Fox series. Can’t wait for the next one! Must read
Paul Niven
Bad Turn sets off at a blistering pace which never lets up. Charlie Fox is down on her luck, out of options and unsure who she can trust, but she's always at her best when she only has herself to rely on. A true page turner that keeps you guessing right up until the final act and another fantastic installment in the Charlie Fox series.
Jen
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I do love a good action/thriller story, and one with a strong female lead is always an added bonus. Charlie Fox has to rate up there as one of those brilliant characters I can't wait to hear more about. She is strong, determined, principled, sometimes helped along by a little luck, but more often than not saved by her own quick thinking and ultimate skill. I may have been late to the party, but I'm enjoying catching up. So when I heard that there was a new book on the horizon, I didn't he ...more
Karen Cole
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the previous Charlie Fox story, Fox Hunter and have been eagerly awaiting her return in Bad Turn. This is the thirteenth book in the series but Zoë Sharp certainly hasn't let her protagonist stagnate and I was looking forward to discovering what she would be up to this time around.
At the start of the book she has reached a crossroads in her career having quit her job in close protection with Armstrong-Meyer. Unfortunately the position also came with an apartment - and her former boss, Pa
K.D. Kinchen
Bad Turn - Review

Zoë Sharp has done it again and turned out another stonking-good read. I absolutely loved Bad Turn. I raced through it in a little over 24 hrs because I simply could not put it down. I had to know what happened after every chapter ending and I was reading well into the night – there goes my beauty sleep, thanks Zoë!
If you looked up “Page-turner” in the dictionary I would not be at all surprised to see a picture of the front cover of Bad Turn in lieu of a definition.
If you like t
Any Length
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, another page turner by Zoe Sharp giving us the newest instalment on Charlie Fox's adventures in the close protection detail business - oh, let's call a spade a spade -she is a body guard. And a damn good one.
Charlie happens upon a kidnapping attempt and comes to the rescue. Who would blame her? She does what comes naturally. She body guards. Anyway, Charlie ends up as close protection detail of Helena Kincaid, wife of an arms dealer and daughter of an even bigger fish in the arms dealing s
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh. I read this ages ago in my kindle and forgot to review it. But I know I loved it, like I love all the Zoe Sharp books!
Libby Spencer
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read the first three chapters of this latest book featuring my favorite female protagonist ever and can't wait to finish the book when it is released. Zoé Sharp really hit the ball out of the park when she introduced us to Charlie Fox. She went on to become an addiction for her many readers and both Charlie and Zoé became a world wide hit phenomenon. I always recommend this series to other readers who ask what I really love to read.
Well, I have finished the complete book now, ( in one sit
Paula Millward
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Bad Turn sees Charlie alone and adrift from those she knows and loves but she's not one to curl up & let herself be tossed aside. She's the kick ass warrior type and on top form in this book.

As an advance reader, I got my electronic hands on a copy a short while ago in exchange for an honest review and I raced through it first time round, desperate to see what had happened to Charlie since she'd given Parker her notice at the end of Fox Hunter. Like someone who'd gorged at a feast, I needed to g
Marina Ferreira
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates action novels
Recommended to Marina by: no one - I've been a fan from the start.
I've been waiting for the next Charlie Fox novel for a long time and boy, was it worth the wait. Ms. Sharp created another edge-of-your-seat, didn't-see-that-coming thrill ride in this 13th installment of the wildly entertaining series following the main protagonist, Charlotte (Charlie) Fox.

What I love about Charlie is that even when the chips are down and you think that it's time to call it quits, she rises from the ashes of her own (sometimes self-) destruction and blows you away. I couldn't
Drystonewaller
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At last...my diet of so-so books is over and I can feast once more upon a thoroughly satisfying and fulfilling Charlie Fox book! The only issue I had was life getting in the way of wanting to just immerse myself in the world Zoe Sharp creates so vividly.
For years I have searched for the kind of female lead that didn't trip over her skirts in a crucial moment and need to be rescued by a bloke! Then Charlie Fox came along...the kind of alter ego, protagonist...a female character to look up to that
« previous 1 3 next »

• Insidious (The Night Man Chronicles Book 2)
  • The Dirty South (Charlie Parker #18)
  • No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)
  • The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
  • Night Man
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Unknown (Jonathan Quinn #14)
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Peace
  • Thicker than Blood (Zoe Bentley Mystery #3)
  • Fire Watch (Jack Widow, #8)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Man Who Never Was (John Milton #16)
  • The Split
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.

Charlie Fox Thriller (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Trial Under Fire (Charlie Fox, #0)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox, #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox, #9)