Start by marking “Living Among the Dead: My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength” as Want to Read:

(Holocaust Survivor True Stories WWII #3)

This is the story of one remarkable young woman's unimaginable journey through the rise of the Nazi regime, the Second World War, and the aftermath. Mania Lichtenstein’s dramatic story of survival is narrated by her granddaughter and her memories are interwoven with beautiful passages of poetry and personal reflection. Holocaust survivor Mania Lichtenstein used writing as ...more
Published March 3rd 2020 by Amsterdam Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Living Among the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Among the Dead

Start your review of Living Among the Dead: My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength
Cathy
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
The author creates a vivid picture of her grandmother, Mania Lichtenstein (or ‘Bubbie’ as she was known in the family). Amongst her ‘warm and wonderful’ memories of her grandmother are Mania’s love of books, classical music and opera, her fondness for dancing and the solace she found from writing prose and poetry.

Mania’s wartime experiences, as told to the author by her grandmother, are augmented by what is obviously the product of extensive research by the author if the detailed references at t
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was an incredible account of a young women’s life during the Holocaust as told by her granddaughter – it was a completely addictive read.

I have been reading a lot of books that are based on this period lately and this is a must read for everyone with an interest in history.

The account shows not only what it was like, it also shows the importance of belief, love, life and perseverance in what can only be described as horrendous times tha
Jules
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible account of a young women’s life during the Holocaust as told by her granddaughter. A must read for the youth of today to understand love, life and perseverance.
Ettie Zilber
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We know about how the trauma is absorbed by the children of survivors; I continue to be impressed with how the trauma is now evidenced by the 3rd generation - the grandchildren. This is a loving story of a granddaughter, who tells the story of her grandmother's survival. She is perpetuating the commitment to "Never Forget." ...more
Julia
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, compelling look at a woman's life in many of her own words from the Holocaust. ...more
Yong Ong
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your new book Living among the Dead My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength by Adena Bernstein Astrowsky Living among the Dead My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength by Adena Bernstein Astrowsky has reached Malaysia, and a Zionist Chinese individual in an Oriental household. We are a local community of seven million people, non-Muslim, in an Islamic country of 23 million who rule us and are Muslims.

Of these seven million Chinese, the majority are fourth to ninth generation domiciled in Malaysia. This diaspora experience has made me fall in love with the Jewish race since childhood.

It is difficult finding ourselves in Malaysia. Islam is as a dark specter, and is v
Jeff Pollak
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Like many others, I read this eye-witness memoir of the Holocaust while living through the Coronavirus pandemic. The overlap helped me with perspective, as one disaster was human-borne, while the other is one of those episodic freaks of nature. The Holocaust was preventable, but no prevention occurred and six million lives were lost. Containment of the current pandemic has failed, resulting in thousands of globa
Tanya
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Another sad story of Holocaust, another story of survival, and I know that not all of them have been told yet. Here is a grand daughter retelling her Bubbie's story, whose name was Mania Lichtenstein. It is truly amazing that she survived and also was never sent to a concentration camp. In part it was due to her ability to observe, read people and situations, but also in part it was thanks to the good people who helped her hide. The book is a mixture of the story in author's words, research, and ...more
Lauren
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
With today being Holocaust Memorial Day I thought it the perfect time to share this heartbreaking memoir I was privileged to be sent. I always find it’s hard to write a ‘review’ of a Holocaust book, they’re all such incredible and harrowing stories that reviewing them doesn’t seem the right term to use. Instead I’m just sharing it with you in the hope that others will read it and learn more about this terrible episode in our world’s history.

Adena records her grandmother Mania ‘Bubie’ Lichtenste
Jamie Jack
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Powerful Story of the Resilience of the Human Spirit

What an incredible story, and my thanks to the author for sharing this deeply personal story of her grandmother's life. History is not just facts and dates. Real people live and suffer because of governmental, religious, or societal dictates. Before reading this book, I felt like I only had a general sense of Hitler’s genocide of the Jews outside of the concentration camps. I hadn't realized the extent of what happened in the Jewish ghettos thr
(Ellie) ReadtoRamble
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of historical fiction WWII books, but I've not read many survivor accounts and biographies about victims of this war. I always love reading about this time period and learning more things about it, it absolutely baffles me how such cruelty was done to so many people and so many still survived and found a way to live through it. This book portrays just that.

Reading this book was such a lovely experience. Adena goes over her grandmother's life, with her grandmother's poems and wri
Jamie Cha
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I give this book 4.5 stars. I received a free ecopy from Voracious Readers Only. I have read many holocaust books. Yet, with everything going on in the US, very recently, it seems more relevant than ever. I am more scared that another holocaust could happen today.

I finished the book in about 26 hours. I rarely read that fast. The book is easy to read. It takes you inside her grandmother's childhood, horrors of the holocaust, surviving the holocaust, a period after the holocaust, and current time
Pam
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Living Among the Dead: My Grandmother’s Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength is by Adena Bernstein Astrowsky. This memoir is based on the life of Adena’s grandmother, Mania Lichtenstein, a Holocaust survivor. Her granddaughter took her story, added interviews with her and others, as well as historical information from Yad Vashem and The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum to create this marvelous memoir of her Grandmother’s.
The story is one of pure hardship and hell for a young gir
Michelle Kidwell
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Living among the Dead:
My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength
Amsterdam Publishers
(May 9, 2020)

I am reviewing a copy of Living among the Dead through Amsterdam Publishers and Netgalley:

Living Among the Dead is Adena Bernstein Astrowsky’s loving and careful reflection of passages from her grandmother’s private journal that Mania Lichtenstein kept as a way of coping with the memories of what she’d survived in World War II.

Living Among the Dead is the story of Mania, the sol
claire martin
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this for an honest review from voracious readers only.

Books about the holocaust would not normally be my book of choice, but I have read a few of them recently through book clubs and have come to appreciate them.

I loved the conversational way in which this book was written. It made a very difficult subject easy to read. It was very personal. You could tell throughout that it was well researched as well as relying on the grandmother's stories, which gave the stories more weig
Jane Hunt
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This memoir is something everyone should read. It's honest, sad and shocking. It gives a personal testament to the atrocities of The Holocaust during WW2. The contrast of ordinary family life and the genocide that ripped it apart is portrayed poignantly and effectively in this first-hand account.

The childhood and family memories are relatable, but what follows is unimaginable. The courage Mania Lichtenstein demonstrates as she survives, the horror that destroyed so many resonates and is a lesson
Myreadingzen
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
This a very moving retelling memoir of the authors grandmother, Mania Lichtenstein "Bubbies" life in a time in history that still even today is unimaginable.

This was a well written and researched book that balanced well the personal story of her grandmother along with historical accurate facts. Her grandmother like many who survived life under the Nazi's, was a simple young woman who came through with such strength after much loss.

Reading books like this it is hard to even imagine putting yourse
Leesa
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazingly written story of one Holocaust survivor’s life. It paints the picture so vividly that you can imagine the surroundings, feel the fear and panic. It’s an impressive account of what occurred in the ghettos. History classes vaguely speak of the ghettos and mostly focus on the concentration camps. This story shows that it didn’t matter if you lived in a concentration camp or a labor camp or a ghetto: if you were Jewish, your treatment was horrendous and death was imminent. ...more
Sarah Armistead
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Living Among the Dead is a riveting, heartfelt glimpse into a young girl’s path into and out of the Holocaust. A childhood once filled with joy and innocence was replaced with utter despair as she lost her entire family and had to learn to survive on her own. While her survival was nothing short of a miracle, the true significance of this story is the ultimate triumph of good over evil through a life well lived, and a legacy secured.

Living Among the Dead transforms the study of the Holocaust fro
Sean Talbot
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful memoir that showed so much about living after the holocaust. I really enjoyed reading this because it shows the grim side of things with the deaths of almost the entire family as well as the aftermath.

It was nice to see that the generations and that they want to learn about what happened and from more than just what you would learn from history books.

The only issue I had with this book is that there were times it seemed to double talk and going back over the same points. Oth
Adam Ross
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading. While the Holocaust and World War II were horribly dark chapters, we should never forget what happened and the valuable lessons for humanity going forward. It’s the least we can do to honor those who were murdered and killed in one of humanity’s darkest hours.

The true tale of Adena’s grandmother - Bubbie and how she survived the a Holocaust. Not only is it a tale of survival but she also details what happened to her family.

In spite of the horrors happening arou
Tracy
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mania Lichtenstein was an amazing woman who survived three programs in Poland during WWII. The memoir is a combination of Mania's story being told through her own writings and the words of her granddaughter, Adena Astrowosky. Astrowosky beautifully conveys the woman Mania became after she married and left Europe behind.
Nothing is more chilling than Mania describing what she endured to survive. Her poetry is insightful and her strength lives on in her words. This is a true story that must be read
Janilyn Kocher
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Living Among the Dead is a grand daughter's powerful tribute to her grandmother. It's a Holocaust story that resonates with the countless others, each just as precious and as unique as the next. I can't read enough of these. I still marvel at how strong their constitutions had to be, to not give in or give up. It's a good lesson for us all. I appreciated all the photographs that were Included because it helps being the narrative even more alive as the reader can put a face with a name. Thanks to ...more
Alaknanda Agarwal
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the heart touching story of Bubbie, who although wasn't in a concentration camp, still had to keep running away from the Nazi. What I especially loved about the book were the extracts from Bubbie's diary between the text, and personal family photos showing her happy.

Another tale that shows how deeply and across generations the Holocaust impacted humanity. Another tale of grit and courage in the face of injustice.
Mandie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Living Among the Dead is the story of how Mania Lichtenstein survived the holocaust when all her family were killed, told by her granddaughter Adena. Like many others who survived Mania did not like to really talk about this part of her past as it brought back the nightmares she had tried to suppress. For Adena, it was a way to understand the woman who had always shown her love and to get to learn about the relatives she had never met.
I am always drawn to books relating to the holocaust as this
Heather W
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Living among the Dead: My Grandmother's Holocaust Survival Story of Love and Strength" is a thought-provoking read.

Beautifully written and yet horrific, this book should be required reading in schools around the world so that the days of the Holocaust are never forgotten.

I read and reviewed this book with no obligation.
Sharon
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A vivid reality check. This is a part of history that we cannot afford to ignore or forget. The author has done a fantastic job in writing this extremely personal book. I suggest everyone read this compelling story that had me hooked from the blurb.

M.W.
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredible account of her life. This book definitely gives insight on the Holocaust and just how bad it was. It was a terrible time in history and she struggles to survive. I recommend this book to everyone. It's a personal testament to the atrocities of World War 2 and the Holocaust.

Jeanne Richardson
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book I've read written by Adena Bernstein Astrowsky; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

Polly Krize
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Writing of her grandmother's experiences during the Holocaust, Adena Bernstein Astrowsky writes a true picture of the strength of the human spirit against almost insurmountable odds. Awe inspiring and moving, a true masterpiece.

• Save my Children. An Astonishing Tale of Survival and its Unlikely Hero
  • A Holocaust Memoir of Love & Resilience: Mama's Survival from Lithuania to America
  • Don't Do It, She Likes It
  • Heart Songs: A Holocaust Memoir (Holocaust Survivor True Stories WWII #4)
  • Shoes of the Shoah: The Tomorrow of Yesterday
  • Among the Reeds: The True Story of How a Family Survived the Holocaust
  • The Concrete Vineyard
  • Butterflies in the System
  • Dare To Dream (Tampa FBI 1)
  • Dorchen: A Childhood Lost in War-Torn Germany
  • I Am Juden: Undercover in the SS
  • Hidden in Berlin: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Beyond the Tracks
  • Remembering Ravensbrück: From Holocaust to Healing
  • The Fuhrer’s Orphans : a moving and powerful novel based on true events
  • Scattered Rays of Light: The Incredible Survival Story of The Kotowski Family During WW2 (Holocaust Survivor Memoir, World War II Book 1)
  • The Gold Lotus: Thousands of Cupid's Arrows on the Battlefield of Love
  • Macallister Bon Mclean: Great Grandson Of A Wizard: Love lost & Love Gained

Holocaust Survivor True Stories WWII (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Among the Reeds: The True Story of How a Family Survived the Holocaust
  • Heart Songs: A Holocaust Memoir (Holocaust Survivor True Stories WWII #4)
  • Shoes of the Shoah: The Tomorrow of Yesterday
  • Hidden in Berlin: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Separated Together
  • The Man Across the River: The incredible story of one man's will to survive the Holocaust
  • If Anyone Calls, Tell Them I Died
  • The House on Thrömerstrasse: A Story of Rebirth and Renewal in the Wake of the Holocaust
  • Dancing with My Father