Start by marking “A Cornish Betrothal” as Want to Read:
A Cornish Betrothal

A Cornish Betrothal

Cornwall, 1798.

Four years have passed since Midshipman Edmund Melville was declared missing, presumed dead, and Amelia Carew has mended her heart and fallen in love with a young physician, Luke Bohenna. But, on her twenty-fifth birthday, Amelia suddenly receives a letter from Edmund announcing his imminent return. In a state of shock, devastated that she now loves Luke so
Published February 5th 2021 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about A Cornish Betrothal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cornish Betrothal

Start your review of A Cornish Betrothal
Bookread2day
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I noticed when reading A Cornish Betrothal is how extremely well it has been written. Author Nicola Pryce takes you right there amid the atmosphere.

What's to love is how you can feel you know what their homes are like with rooms like the drawing room, the big Hall, their grand clothes, gowns, and their jewellery with dancing balls, it truly takes you a through a masterpiece story that's been well adapted with a multiple of characters voices .

At the beginning of the book there i
Ellie Spencer
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of good historical fiction, and I think this may be my favourite novel of this genre so far.

The book follows Amelia, who has recently fallen in love with Dr Luke Bohenna. She still grieves the loss of her fiancé Edmund, who went missing in the navy (assumed to be dead). But Edmund is alive and returns to her life as a very changed man.

I absolutely loved the relationship between Amelia and Luke. Their love felt so intense and pure. I was rooting for them th
Bee
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
What a cute book. Like so so so cute! It made me feel such enjoyment and I'm happy and honoured to have had this book as an ARC.

I originally thought I wouldn’t like it when I started reading it, it’s set in 1798 and she needs an *escort* to go ANYWHERE. She’s 25 years old and has to ask her mother’s permission (and get an escort) if she can leave the town they live in. I’m 25 years old and I could up a leave for a week if I wanted to! Granted I would inform the parentals just so they knew I was
Julie
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Carew is celebrating her twenty fifth birthday in Cornwall, 1798. She is wondering if her new love, Dr Luke Bohenna, will propose marriage, after some time of courtship. There is one consideration; she was in love with another young man until she was told of his death. This historical romance is steep in the atmosphere of a locality familiar with life at sea, with naval officers, sailors of all sorts, a community involved with the insuring ships, receiving goods and helping with those aff ...more
Jaffareadstoo
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

It's always such a pleasure to return to the Cornwall of this author's creative imagination and in A Cornish Betrothal we meet with Amelia Carew just as she has found happiness again after the sad loss of her fiancé, Midshipman Edmund Melville, who was presumed lost abroad. Her new relationship with the handsome physician, Luke Bohenna, is however, sadly uninterrupted when Amelia discovers that Edmund is alive.

The story which follows has all the trials and tribulations we have come to expect fro
Yvonne
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is so good to pick up a novel by Nicola Pryce and be transported back in time in the county I live in. This is part of a series and as I have read previous books I am obviously going to say they work better when read in order, but, I do think they work as stand-alone.

Set in 1798 in an around Truro with jaunts to Falmouth, Bodmin and Plymouth areas. This is a story of lost love.

Edmund had been lost in the Caribbean, missing and assumed dead. Proof of his death was discovered and this gives hi
Elaine
This is a book I didn't want to put down until I'd finished it, an enthralling historical romantic suspense, a story that had me turning the pages, totally engrossed in the whole story. Set in Cornwall in 1798, the author brings the locations and characters vividly to life in the reader's imagination.  Although it is the fifth book the author has set in this era, is works well as a standalone.

Amelia Carew was shocked when her fiancè unexpectedly signed up to join the Navy just months before they
Joanne
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant novel by Nicola Pryce.

Amelia Carew is about to become engaged to the local doctor, Luke. But then her previous fiancé, who has been presumed dead for the last seven years, turns up and she feels honour bound to stick with that original engagement.

There were some things which niggled at me with the novel, but Nicola's writing is so good that I can bypass them;

Everyone was so understanding of Edmund's mental health issues, even though he's widely let it known he was held a slave
LeafPages
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amy
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win this book through the readers first draw and I could not be more thankful for the beauty that is this book!

I was so struck by how beautifully written this novel was, the author really took her time to set the tone of the book with the most beautiful descriptions and scenes, making the reader feel fully immersed into the story and feel like they are more than just an onlooker to the plot.

I for one was really appreciative of the family tree included at the beginning of
Ursula
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical adventure. I didn't even realise it's part of a saga until I had almost finished so it makes a good stand-alone read. And now I have the other volumes waiting for me.

There's a superb love triangle and great characters. The historical period (during the Napoleonic wars over two hundred years ago) and the setting in the southwest English county of Cornwall really come to life. You slip right into the story. The more you know of the time and the place then the m
Jennifer Moville
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is set in 1798 in Cornwall. Amelia has turned her life around. The love of her life Edmund Melville, a midshipman in the navy has been declared as missing - she has even been told he may be dead. She is devastated. Now, eighteen months on she has found a new man in her life, Luke Bohenna. But things are about to change. It is her twenty fifth birthday and she is finally happy. But she received a rather unexpected gift. She gets a letter from Edmund. He is alive and is coming home. But ...more
Arianna
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a good saga which is part of a series. This is the only book of the series that I have read. I felt in parts that I perhaps could have done with having read the other books in the series before this one.

The love triangle was set up brilliantly from the start of the story and this really hooked me. I really enjoyed the first part of the book but the middle of the story did lose me a little in places.

The last third of the book is absolutely where this story shines. The pace of the story re
Alice
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
It's December 1797 in Truro, Cornwall. Amelia Carew has finally found happiness and love again after her childhood sweetheart left her for the navy and then was presumed dead. Although her heart still aches for Edmund she has found happiness in Luke, the local doctor and in making herbal remedies for his patients. But just as they plan to start a life together opening an infirmary a letter arrives from Edmund dating 18 months previously. He's alive after escaping captivity.

On his return she is
Maureen
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The fifth novel in this series set in eighteenth-century Cornwall.

I find it helpful to have a list of these stories in order ...they are

1)Pengelly’s Daughter,
2)The Captain’s Girl,
3) The Cornish Dressmaker,
4)The Cornish Lady
5) A Cornish Betrothal.

So much easier to have this info as it can be quite frustrating to try to work out what has happened before although the stories themselves are stand alone its better I find to read them in order.

The books are set in the years 1793-1800 a time that I
Jill Lamond
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable historical romp

I haven't read a good escapist historical romance for a long time but this one just hit the spot. I really enjoyed sitting down with this book, a nice cup of tea and a chocolate digestive!

This novel is set in eighteenth century Cornwall. Amelia Carew has recovered from the death of her fiancee and has fallen in love with another man who supports her in her business supplying herbs to various infirmaries and writing and illustrating a herbal. Suddenly all of this is put i
Lucy
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Slow to start with

This isn't usually my go to genre for reading and have not read much in the way of historical fiction.
I did enjoy the book in the end, although I did find it a little slow to begin with and took me a while to warm to the story. The middle part of the book also seemed to loose it's way a little. However, the final chapters really sped up the pace and had me racing to the end.

The story starts in 1798 and follows a love triangle between Amelia, Edmund and Luke. This was quite cle
Ilenia
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
I was not really convinced about this book initially: I thought it was a cliche love story, where the girl juggles her heart in a love triangle between a guy she has known her whole life and a nurturing guy she met, with a lot of drama and unnecessary fights.
However, the book turned out to be more interesting than I initially thought: it has a well-written mystery and the love story is the main plot, yet it does not make the book dreading to read or boring. At points, it can be quite
Jareth Koncsol
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Carew made a promise to Edmund Melville and they were engaged to be married but nearly two years have passed and he still isn't back from the war.
Meanwhile believing her first love lost she has moved on and fallen for the local doctor Luke Bohenna.
At a birthday party she received word Edmund is still alive and returning.
Now Amelia is conflicted, her old love versus her new found beau.
To honour her word and do her duty she returns to Edmund but things aren't the same, she can't find tha
Juliat
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Amelia Carew, a herbalist and illustrator, was due to become betrothed to Luke the local doctor on her twenty fifth birthday. But she receives a letter telling her that Edmund her first love, who she had been informed had died in action, is in fact still alive. What is she to do, honour her engagement to him or to her new love Luke.
When Edmund returns his suffering in captivity has changed him from the kind gentle man Amelia used to know.

The plot follows Amelia’s unhappy dilemma and has a few i
Florence Cheng
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to reading this book as it sounded like a nice romantic novel with a bit of suspense. I wanted to find out what happened to Edmund and whether Amelia was going to pick Edmund or Luke!

However, this book took me a long time to read and I struggled to get into it. I felt there were too many side characters and it went on for longer than it needed to. Also, there was not much character development, I did not feel invested in any of the characters (I did appreciate Luke's under
Martha Westmancott
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book follows the story of Amelia Carew, who has found herself torn between the man she loves, and the man she once committed to.
Overall I found this book quite disappointing. I wasn't particularly enticed by the storyline and I found the characters hard to engage with. The cover was also quite dull and didn't really catch my attention.
That being said, the book wasn't all bad, and i'm glad I read on until the end. The twist was totally unexpected and definitely a redeeming factor! And it's t
Chloe
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Cornish Betrothal by Nicola Pryce is an historical romance/saga set in eighteenth century Cornwall. The main character Amelia faces a difficult decision, choosing between the two men she loves. At it's core it sounds like a classic romantic novel, but there is also a mystery woven into the story which adds extra depth and interest to the book. I haven't previously read any books by Nicola Pryce, and this is the fifth novel in the series. Despite that, I didn't find it was too difficult to beco ...more
Efe Emenuwe
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
Emma
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t really love this book as much as I expected to. Recently I have been loving this genre so I had really high expectations for this book and unfortunately those expectations were not met.

The Cornish Betrothal by Nicola Pryce was extremely well written and was very enjoyable but there was just something missing for me and I am not sure quite what that is.

I regret to say that I actually did not manage to finish this book and I gave up on it just shy of page 300. I found that it went into a
Ria
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Carew was engaged to Edmund Melville but eighteen months has passed and he is missing, believed dead.
Amelia has now fallen in love with Luke Bohenna, a doctor.
Yet just on the eve of their engagement she receives a letter on her birthday informing her Edmund is still alive and coming home.
Devastated and confused she tries to stick to her duty and stay with Edmund.
But not all is as it seems, sinister things are starting to happen and Edmund seems like a completely different man and Amelia j
Kelly Hollingworth
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I live on the Cornwall/Devon boarder so to read about local and familiar places in a novel is wonderful for me. Bias declared, I thoroughly enjoyed this plot of Amelia Carew set in the late 18th century. Amelia is torn between a ‘new’ love (Dr. Luke Bohenna) and a promise to a ‘past’ love (Edmund Melville). It is a classic love triangle but encompasses naval history, Cornish locations, herbal remedy references and a Poldarkesque style.

Honour, duty, danger, suspense, twists are all words that com
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a historical novel set in the 1800's. The book follows the life of the character Amelia. Amelia falls in love with Edmund who is away with the navy and the story follows what happens when he goes missing presumed dead. Trying to carry on with her life Amelia marries Luke but there is a twist as she receives a letter from Edmund who is alive! She is torn between the past and the present. I enjoyed the book , particularly the family tree at the start as I found the book was complicated at ...more
Leigh
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
'A Cornish Betrothal' is a book with a missing Midshipman as a backdrop for an entertaining historical fiction novel about a grieving young woman who meets a new love, only to find that her first love is alive and coming home to her. It's not the most original of plots but there's an entertaining story for those who enjoy relationship dramas set in the past.

There's a mystery to uncover, and a choice to make for our protagonist as she battles with a difficult decision to do what's right for her h
Lisa
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Historical romance set in Cornwall in 1798, Amelia Carew was awaiting the return of her fiance, Midshipman Edmund Melville. After many years, Amelia is led to believe that he has died whilst at sea and has fallen in love with a Doctor, Luke Bohenna. The three main characters were very believable and I loved the style of writing which was so easy to read with no complications. However, Edmund does return but his character is very much changed and Amelia is torn between trying to nurse him back ...more

• Madame Burova
  • Call the Vet: My Life as a Young Vet in 1970s London
  • The Country Village Christmas Show
  • Trust Me
  • Hungry
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • The Art of Death
  • Body Language
  • The Heretic's Mark (The Jackdaw Mysteries #4)
  • The Captive
  • Victoria Park
  • Stella
  • Ödesmark
  • The Forgers
  • Poisoned
  • Good Eggs
  • City of Spies
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)

Nicola Pryce trained as a nurse at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London. She loves both literature and history, and has an Open University degree in Humanities. She's a qualified adult literacy support volunteer and lives with her husband in the Blackdown Hills in Somerset, UK. She and her husband love sailing and together they sail the south coast of Cornwall in search of a