Start by marking “Mexico Street” as Want to Read:

(Chas Riley #8)

Night after night, cars are set alight across the German city of Hamburg, with no obvious pattern, no explanation and no suspect. Until, one night, on Mexico Street, a ghetto of high-rise blocks in the north of the city, a Fiat is torched. Only this car isnt empty. The body of Nouri Saroukhanprodigal son of the Bremen clanis soon discovered, and the case becomes a ...more
Expected publication: October 1st 2020 by Orenda Books (first published September 10th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mexico Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mexico Street

Start your review of Mexico Street
Shalini
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whoa!! An unexpected read this was. Simone Buchholz was the new author on my block whose taut but strangely rhythmic writing had me gasping. The excitement was slow to build up, but boy, did the main character make me giddy. Sarcasm and self-deprecating dialogues had me loving this babe.

A car burning on the street, a man was found locked in it. And the team investigated. Organized crime, corruption, violence soon emerged during the police investigation.

My first book by this author, the main
Kelly Van Damme
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi and welcome to Mexico Street! Lets take a little stroll together, shall we, get some fresh air. Although, on second thoughts, the air is not that fresh at the mo Do you smell that smoke? Someone set a car on fire! And there was a person in there! Poor guy. Although Ive heard his name is Saroukhan, you know, like the criminal family in Bremen? So maybe I shouldnt pity him, who knows what he was up to. See those people over there, grimacing at their coffee cups? Those are coppers, and that one ...more
Thebooktrail

Visit the locations in Mexico Street

Welcome to Mexico Street. Well, theres not much chance for a stroll or wander as cars are on fire everywhere. The smell of burning is in the air.Chastity has a very tricky and sensitive case to solve as a body has been found in the wreckage. Detective Stepanovic comes on board and together, the two try to get under the skin of this case. Its tough from the off, not to mention dangerous.

The two leads of Chastity and Stepanovic are a good team. They are good
Anne
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back Chastity Riley! One of the most intriguing, well written and kick-ass characters out there. She's sassy and outspoken, she does exactly as she pleases; smokes, drinks and swears. However, she has a softer underside; some vulnerabilities that only add enormous depth to her character and to this story. Yes, it's a very very big welcome back.

Hamburg is on fire. Well, cars in Hamburg are being set alight, to be correct. Chastity isn't really that concerned about the fires, but when the
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mexico Street, where the atmosphere is buzzing and the air is smoking, quite literally! It reminds me of a slogan that should be on the citys signs. The title hides the depravity and the greed that is Hamburgs underbelly. Its a novel that packs a seriously kilter throwing punch. Gangster families. Strong women. Forbidden love. it investigates the complexities of whether good truly dominates over evil or whether that is just a fabricated construct to give us hope. Be prepared to freshen up those ...more
Lel Budge
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamburg is having a spate of car burnings, inconvenient but nothing more, until the body of Nouri Saroukhan is found in one. He was a member of a notorious crime family, but they claim to have disowned him. Did this have anything to do with his relationship with Aliza, a woman from an opposing family?

This is where Chastity Riley begins the investigation, accompanied by Stepanovic they see the worst and scariest of people as they try to get to the truth.

Chastity is a fantastic character, shes
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
Look out for my review during my stop of the blog tour on March 23rd!!
J Fearnley
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well what a start to 2020! The 3rd of the Chastity Riley books to be translated (by Rachel Ward) into English is Mexico Street. Its a humdinger of a story, one I believe you really should read. Its part of a tremendous series, of which, I have previously reviewed Beton Rouge.

I wanted to post this on the eBook publication day (5th Jan) but I could only think to say this is a fantastic book, which I really enjoyed, you should rush off now, buy it and read it. Well, perhaps thats enough but usually
Steve
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always this review also appears on my blog at: https://livemanylives.wordpress.com/

There are a flurry of leading female crime fighters at the moment, especially from Orenda Books, all of them with different voices, personalities and settings, all brilliant. Hamburgs Chastity Riley written by Simone Buchholz may not be the best of them, but shes in the top one.

This is the third in the Riley series and the writing is even more accomplished. Its a police procedural in the same vein as Ed McBain
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Mexico Street by Simone Buchholz is the latest in the critically acclaimed Chastity Riley series. Published on 5th March with Orenda Books, it is described as a smart, dark, probing, thriller, recalling the very best American noir' Mexico Street is translated by Rachel Ward, who also previously translated Blue Night and Beton Rouge for Orenda Books.

Mexico Street is a modern-day tale of star-crossed lovers, gang warfare and murder. Chastity Riley is a state prosecutor in Hamburg and has been
Mary Picken
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are so many reasons to love Simone Buchholzs work. She has a tremendously ironic brain, from the name she gives to her principal characters through to the wonderful chapter headings that are mini works of art in themselves.

Her prose is taut and sometimes poetic, sometimes so hard-boiled that it hurts to read it and often both combined. Chastity Reilly is a woman in a mans world and chapter by chapter shes making it a womans world too. Uncompromising, just a little bit lonely and with no
Julie Morris
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, following my review of the first two books in the Chastity Riley series (which you can find here), we are now on to the authors latest novel and the third in the series, Mexico Street and I was wondering how she was going to keep the momentum going after the first two stunning books. Was there anywhere different to go, anything new to explore? The answer is, of course, yes.

The third book might even be my favourite so far. In this book, Chastity is drawn into an investigation that takes her
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Wow! I dont think Ive read anything quite like this before.

Despite being the 3rd novel in the Chastity Riley series, it completely works as a stand alone. I would image the earlier novels give more character development and background however, I get the feeling that Buchholz has not yet fully revealed everything we would like, or need to know.

The first 10% or so took me a while to get into. Germany is not a country that I have good knowledge of politically and culturally so I had to follow
James
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in the authors series of crime novels featuring her protagonist, Hamburg state prosecutor, Chastity Riley.

A series of seemingly random arson attacks on vehicles is sweeping Hamburg. When the latest is found to contain a man trapped inside, who later dies, and it transpires that hes related to an immigrant crime family, Chastity is put in charge of the homicide investigation. What follows is a story that could be lifted right out of the news. During the European migrant crisis
Susan Corcoran
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was incredibly lucky to attend an Orenda Road Show event a few weeks ago and heard the author read from this intense and addictive read. Therefore when I dived the book I did so with her voice swirling around head and it was amazing!

Mexico Street is many things, too many to list, because you will all get bored. So here are just a few-

Its Stylish. Not oodles of description and prose, more tightknit contolled language that gets under your skin and leaves you feeling unnerved.

It is of course
Jessica
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Each night across the city of Hamburg cars are being set on fire with no pattern, no explanation, and no suspect. One night, on Mexico Street, police find much more than just a burning car. In a ghetto of high-rises a Fiat sits burning with a man inside.

The body of Nouri Saroukhan, a prodigal son of the Bremen clan, is discovered inside this car with all signs pointing to homicide. The case falls in the lap of public prosecutor Chastity Riley, who is willing to dive into investigating the
Beverley
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Dear Simone,

Thank you. Thank you for writing these books. Thank you for creating Chastity Riley in all of her complicated glory. Thank you for writing about the dark underbelly of society. Thank you for shining a light on difficult and complex issues. Thank you for your wonderful narrative which makes me feel like Im watching an art house movie. Thank you for writing about a city Ive never been to but have made me feel like I now know intimately. Thank you.
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading a Chastity Riley thriller by Simone Buchholz is an intense experience. Not a word is wasted in the tight, punchy writing. Yet, as I highlighted in my review of the previous Chastity Reily book, there is a lyrical beauty in the writing.

Reilly is back and investigating a case which has seen a body found in a burnt-out car. The burning car is not a new crime, there have been cars set alight across Hamburg over many previous nights. For a burning car to be occupied this is new. Further
David Harris
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Orenda Books for a free advance copy of Mexico Street and for inviting me to take part in the blog tour.

If you've read Buchholz's previous books, Blue Night and Beton Rouge, you'll know to expect the doom, pared down, noirish atmosphere, the short chapters, the sense of desolation as Chastity Riley, Hamburg state prosecutor, narrates her life. The language is so hard, so abstracted that sections read almost as prose poetry and on the surface it is so bleak that it could repel if
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I have really enjoyed the recent titles I've read from Orenda Books but the problem I seem to have is that they have me wanting to go back and start several series from the beginning. Such is the case with the Chaz Riley series.

This novel finds Chaz Riley, a public prosecutor in Germany, investigating the suspicious death of an important son of the Bremen clan. As she investigates, she finds herself falling deeper and deeper into a criminal underground and she soon discovers the violence will
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mexico Street, written by Simone Buchholz and perfectly translated by Rachel Ward, is the third book in the series about public prosecutor, Chastity Riley and set in Hamburg. I have not read any of these books but when Anne Cater offered me a place on the Orenda Books Mexico Street blog tour, could not resist, as the 'Blurb', had me! It is easily read as a standalone as I found.
The story opens with cars being set on fire all over Hamburg, for seemingly no reason, until one car is discovered
Finding My Voice
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mexico Street had my mind going all over the place. Fearing for the lives of Aliza & Nouri not knowing where they would be safe and who they should be running from. Things seem to be going right for Nouri but that doesnt last.

With Nouri found dead in a burnt out car Chastity Riley, the public prosecutor, is given the case but doesnt find it easy. The criminal underworld is vast and the deals made between the Saroukhan and Anteli families only go on to add fuel to the fire.
Simone Buchholz
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Oh wow. I devoured this in a day. Brilliant! Beautifully translated by Rachel Ward. Its a real page turner. This story is more than just a crime we get an indepth look into all the characters lives throughout so its more than just the case itself. I loved it! I would like to say a little bit of romance is within these pages too with more than one character To put it perfectly its a unique story with it all!
Cars are burning but why? Who is doing this? Mexico Street takes a look into one of these
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2020
This is book 8 in a series, but I didn't realise that and in all honesty it was easy to read this as stand alone, though being 8 books in there has obviously been a lot going on previously. Mexico Street is a dark gritty German noir thriller and it was refreshing to read a setting other than America or Britain for this kind of genre.

We are treated to the underbelly of Bremaer leading family the Saroukhan after Chas and her colleagues respond to a burnt out car that just so happens to have his
Donna Maguire

I was really intrigued by the blurb after I read it and knew that this was a book I wanted to read, I read the authors previous book and thought it was an addictive read, and her latest read for me was no different it was well developed and I loved it!

I loved the pace of the story and I found that it was very well written. The plot was well developed and there was plenty happening throughout the story too. I really liked the setting for the book too and
Emma
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoy the Chastity Riley books (Mexico Street is book three), they are a little different from your average crime tale, they are quirky, smart and Riley makes for an intriguing narrator. She is back with a tricky case that involves delving into the family intricacies of a criminal clan in Germany.

Reading this was like catching up with an old friend. Riley is doing what she does best, seeking the truth. Along with some heavy smoking and drinking on the side, and theres nothing wrong
Lynsey
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I did not want this book to end. This is a revelation in crime fiction - a hard hitting crime fiction story but told in such a beautiful literary style. Considering that the German language has such long words and complex sentence structure, the translation into English gives us short, sharp, lyrical prose. Normally, I power through books but Mexico Street makes you linger and savour what is taking place. You want to revel in the language as well as the story - preferable with a frozen margarita ...more
Caroline Venables
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first Simone Buchholz book I have read and I really wonder how I have missed her previous books.

Chastity Reilly is a brilliant character and I really enjoyed this introduction to her. This book sees her investigating an arson attack on a car, nothing unusual there has been a spate of attacks lately. However when a car is found with a body in it, the investigation becomes more serious as the body found is the son of a well known gangster family.

This attack leads Chastity to look
Jen
If there is one thing that can be said about the Chastity Riley, it is that every single book has that strange feeling of being very familiar and yet undeniably unique. Each one has a slightly different styling, brought together by the tainted wit and wisdom of state prosecutor, Chastity. Her's is the one constant, the narrative voice that drives the largest part of the story along, but that is really where the similarity ends as Simeon Buchholz has found a way of creating both continuity and ...more
Alena
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting case that I dont really want to think about further. Yikes.

Bit annoyed by some stylistic choices, for example, the sections with constantly changing POVs. It seemed lazy writing, to sort of give an update of where individual characters were at. I really didnt need Rileys apartment talking either.

• Containment (Sam Shephard, #3)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • Black River
  • Deep Dark Night (Lori Anderson)
  • Nullpunkt
  • The Guest List
  • The Home
  • Are You Watching?
  • The Aosawa Murders
  • Violet
  • A Dark Matter
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Ash Mountain
  • The Wreckage
  • The Waiting Rooms
  • Little Siberia
  • Firewatching (Detective Sergeant Adam Tyler #1)
Simone Buchholz is a German author, best known for her crime fiction.

Chas Riley (9 books)
  • Revolverherz (Chas Riley, #1)
  • Knastpralinen (Chas Riley, #2)
  • Schwedenbitter (Chas Riley, #3)
  • Eisnattern (Chas Riley, #4)
  • Bullenpeitsche (Chas Riley, #5)
  • Blue Night (Chas Riley, #6)
  • Beton Rouge (Chas Riley, #7)
  • Hotel Cartagena (Chas Riley, #9)