Start by marking “Different Like Me” as Want to Read:
Different Like Me

Different Like Me

God made each of us unique, but sometimes these differences can leave us feeling like a fish out of water. In Different Like Me, follow a diverse group of children as they work together to help a giant fish balloon toward a surprising conclusion that will delight children. Celebrate our differences and uncover what we have in common on this whimsical journey that reminds r ...more
Published August 4th 2020 by Our Daily Bread Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Different Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different Like Me

Start your review of Different Like Me
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
This is an absolutely beautifully illustrated book about the ways in which children are different and yet the same. This is a Christian themed book which mentions God and his creations.

“I look all around me and what do I see? So many kids who are different from me”. “But while we are different . . .we FEEL things the same. We are happy and hurried, We Feel Scared, We feel sad. We feel grumpy and worried, We Feel free, We Feel glad.” “We’re all good at something, and have kindness to share”

This h
Apoorva
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a super-duper adorable book, particularly for children. Kids need to be educated regarding human values carefully and subtly without injuring their own emotions as well; this book does precisely that. I had a smile throughout while reading it. The pictures are so elegant, vivid, and vibrant, despite being a grown-up, I couldn't help but continue gazing at it. The lyrical and rhyming expressions take it up a notch further.

'I look all around me, and what do I see? / So many kids, not so di
Tina
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a children's book that is good for Pre-K age kids. I really love children's book that shows kids everyone is different and some kids has disabilities. I will be buying this book to take to my kids EC (Special Needs) Classrooms. I think it will also show them that it is ok to be different. I really love this book. Their is bible sayings in this book. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher or author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. (*)
CYIReadBooks
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Different Like Me by Xochitl Dixon is a children's fiction book about diversity. It is gloriously illustrated with rhyming verses that will teach children that it's okay to be different; that it's okay not to like the same things; and that it's okay to have different hair and skin color.

A wonderful book to read with your child or grandchild at bedtime or story time. I loved this book. Five Stars. I'm definitely adding this book to my gift list.

I received a digital copy of this book from Our Dail
Natalie
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is a lovely rhyming book for young children to help teach them about differences, diversity and being unique.

I loved how the author included pictures of emotions, children with disabilities and different races too.

This book is a great tool for teaching about everyone being different and to embrace who you are as who you are is how God made you to be.
Briar's Reviews
Different Like Me is a stunningly beautiful picture book focusing on the unique qualities of people.

The rhyming scheme is simple yet makes it way more fun to sing along and read the song. I love that the book is diverse and includes many different people in it, which plays right into the message.

There is religious comments in it, so buyer beware if you don't want to see anything about God. It's not preachy though, only suggesting God made everyone different for a reason - to be special. So no ha
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so damn beautiful and very much needed.
It's always better to talk about the issues of race, different people we are going to come across right during the formative years so kids understand what is being meant by we are all human beings and no one race or community shouldn't get mistreated (as kids learn from what they see and observe).

We adults are at a loss for words when it comes to such topics on how to explain in a way that they understand.
This book does justice to this.

The ill
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This delightfully-illustrated book follows the efforts of a mixed group of children as they work co-operatively to carry a fish-shaped kite to a festival. The rhyming prose whimsically explores the concept that, while we might look different from each other in a variety of ways, express ourselves differently, and have varying strengths and weaknesses, we all have a role to play in recognising the value in others, being kind and working together. The illustrations feature children representing a ...more
B.
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is a wonderful little book for pre-school kids with beautiful illustrations that shows different types of children including the ones with disabilities. I think this is a great book for the young children to learn about their differences and accept it!
Isabelle
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Different Like Me // by Xochitl Dixon // illustrated by Bonnie Lui

Different Like Me focuses all on the differences between us all, whether those are skin color, hair, language, hobbies, abilities, etc. But at the same time, it also shows us how we have many things in common despite those differences, such as our feelings. It teaches us that every person is special in their own way, whether they are similar or different to someone else. While this book starts and ends with a biblical verse, what
Erin
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
I have to say that everyone is unique. But then, we know this right? We’re all taught this from a young age. But are we really taught to see everyone the same? Are we taught to look at others who aren’t as smart or who have a different skin color than us as different or less than?

In our household, we believe everyone has the opportunity to be something unique and special. Some people might throw away their opportunity to parrot others, but they get that opportunity.

This is a sweet children’s boo
Connie Carpenter
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an adorable book that reminds us that we are ALL made in HIS Image. That we are all unique and beautiful. I read this book to my 9 and 7 year old boys. It was the perfect book to read to them while all this chaos is going on. One reminder that I made sure to drive home is: We may all look different on the outside, but God designed us all to have the same set of emotions on the inside.I always tell my children, that God gave you many talents and made you like noone else - you want to ...more
Bardha
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A short book in length but profound in meaning.
It is a book that promotes understanding and avoidance of judgments. Despite the fact that the primary audience for this book is children, this book holds in it a message that goes beyond all ages and time. That message is that God created us all unique and that our differences should be what bring us together and not apart.
This is a message that must be promoted now especially with the Black Lives Matter movement still very active. Everyone is un
Gretel
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a review copy via Netgalley.

The message of the book is...a mixed bag. While I appreciate the effort to teach children that physical differences are superficial and it is our humanity and our feelings that make us human, I personally did not like the religious angle. Respect of others is too much hinged on the fact that, for the author, we are created in a god's image. People deserve respect and equity even without being the creation of a religious figure.
I respect the message and I do
Vaiomo ♡
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great story!

Thank you to the publisher for giving me a free copy!

It's stories like this that make a difference in the world! If I ever have a kid I will have my kids read stories like these! Not only is it important to teach your kid that racism is bad in any way, shape or form. It's important that every kid with a dissability, a different ethnicity, different hair, etc etc. Is just a kid like you.

Everyone is equal and everyone should be treated equally. I think this book is such an importan
Chari Regina
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book for young children. The story is sweet and engaging. The illustrations are bright, beautiful and every child will find someone in the pages that they identify with. I highly recommend this book for every family library. It will also be a blessing for every kid's church and classroom!

A copy of this book was made available to me through netgalley. These opinions are my honest review.
Erika (marsbookscats)
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the e-ARC.

It's a children's picture book with little text in verse teaching kids to see that there are different kids, skin color, body shape, disabilities, etc but we are all the same, we are humans.
This is a perfect book to teach your child to respect people, especially, different ones, and to treat them with kindness and, when possibly, work in team.

The illustrations are so beautiful and stunning. I recommend this.
Way_Word_Bibliophile
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely book! So much needed when the world is going mad. I loved the simple text and bright colourful pictures. I read it along with my 6 yrs old and she loved it too. This book teaches us how to love the differences in each other no matter what, afterall we all are also similar in so many other ways. Can't recommend it enough! Loved every bit of it!
Pooja Banga
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases, arc
Thankyou Netgalley and publisher for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

I had a great time reading this .I strongly urge everyone to give this book a shot!

This book gives us a deep meaning.We all are different yet member of the same world .
Mary
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this sweet children’s picture book with its endearing, well-written rhyming text and colorful illustrations of a variety of children. The message is beautifully presented and is so needed in our current day. The book is one I would like to give to every child, and grownups will enjoy it too. Based upon truth and biblical principles, it offers inclusive words rather than divisive ones. Hopefully, it can bring joy and will help everyone feel good about themselves as well as model proper att ...more
Prajakta | dancingbibliophile
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's so important to make children understand the differences that prevail in organisms. It just makes it easier for them to accept these differences as they grow up.

The book talks about all types of differences in a fun rhyming manner, making it Interesting and Useful for Children. It mentions Biblical quotes to underline that all beings are equal. The book talks about appearing different yet feeling the same things!

I loved the Beautiful illustrations which made the book all the more engaging!
T
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I look all around me and what do I see? So many kids who are different from me."

What a beautifully written book; lyrical, artistical, biblical . . . it has all the whimsical looks and feels necessary to capture the attention and imagination of its readers.

Highly recommended.

I won a copy of this book. The opinions stated above are entirely my own.
Sally Ferguson
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Different Like Me is a timely reminder of God’s beauty in each of us, as He links us together in the journey of life. On the outside, we may look different, but on the inside, we experience the same feelings of worry, hurry and fear. It’s reassuring to know we’re not so different, after all, because differences separate us, but likenesses unify us.
Xochitl Dixon created a helpful conversation tool with Different Like Me. From the back cover, “You’re different from everyone else. And sometimes tha
Cassandra
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In a time when diversity is on the forefront this is a fantastic book to share with young children. The book starts with showing how we are different and it covers a multitude of differences. The book then shows how even with those differences we are all very similar. I like that it does not just highlight differences and try to make us just be okay with those differences, it also shows why we are so similar and should not treat people differently. so often we tell kids what to do but not necess ...more
Soumya Gudiyella
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
We are all unique in our differences. We are dark and fair and all colors in between. We follow different religions of faith and speak different languages. We belong to different countries. Some speak with their hands, see with sticks and can move only in a wheelchair. Despite our differences we share the same feelings of hope, despair and yearn to be cared and loved by others.

In this book, a group of diverse children are walking with a balloon to a surprise destination. As they make their journ
Mandy
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an adoptive family with a biracial child, we love finding books to add to our collection that celebrate diversity, acceptance and love from a Christian perspective. This beautiful new children’s book, a first from author Xochitl Dixon, is just perfect for our young daughter’s bookshelf as we explore the various ways God has created us and the people around us. I adore that through the beautiful illustrations in this book, we can discover and celebrate children with different skin tones, body ...more
Jeanenne
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This picture book starts off as a play group of school-age kids meet up and have a picnic. The group is made up of children who are suppose to represent different races, ethnicities, and abilities. The star of the book is a young girl who brings her Japanese kite shaped like a fish. The fish is animated, so its facial expressions change with the mood of the story. Drama occurs when it gets caught in a cluster of trees. The text of the story has rhyming lines describing the differences and simila ...more
Mabel Ninan
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Xochitl Dixon’s new children’s book, 📖 Different Like Me, is brilliant. The words are simple enough for a child to understand yet so powerful and profound that they can pierce even an adult’s heart.

In a non-preachy and fun way this book teaches children to celebrate and embrace diversity - diversity not only in our physical appearances but also our natural abilities. A pertinent message for our times!

The illustrator, Bonnie Lui, did a fantastic job in bringing the message of this book to life. I
Nicole
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful, precious, timeless, but perfectly timed, golden book. I received an ARC from NetGalley and Our Daily Bread Publishing in exchange for an honest review, and I preordered it as soon as I finished. My five and four year old boys also loved it. The illustrations are fun colorful. It's a beautiful book.

The writing is just beautiful. It's a book in verse and flows so wonderfully. The bookends are Genesis 1:27 and Psalm 139:13-14. The pages are filled with children who have many visi
Jenna Rideout
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-netgalley
Disclaimer: I received a free ebook review copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Different Like Me by Xochitl Dixon is a children's storybook from Christian publisher Our Daily Bread. It's told from the perspective of a child who is looking around at all the diverse children around him or her and noting how different they all are, and how much that makes them the same where it counts. It's a very cute story with captivating illustrations. My 2.5 year old dau
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Most Beautiful Thing
  • Hug?
  • Time for Bed's Story
  • Catching Fireflies
  • Scrumptious Independence (Merriweather Island #2)
  • AAAlligator!
  • Snow Song
  • Hope and Freckles: Fleeing to a Better Forest
  • Rupert's Snowman
  • The Elephant's Girl
  • Little Big Nate: No Nap!
  • Little Wise Wolf
  • The Old Man and the Penguin: A True Story of True Friendship
  • 10 Ballet Dancers
  • Your House, My House
  • When We Are Kind
  • It's MY Tree
  • Miss Tavistock's Mistake (The Brides of Mayfair #1)

News & Interviews