Start by marking “Carolina Isle” as Want to Read:
Carolina Isle

Carolina Isle

(Edenton)

New York Times bestselling author Jude Deveraux uncovers the passions and scandals that take a small town by storm when two cousins switch lives.

Ariel and Sara never imagined their high-spirited attempt to step into each other's shoes would cause such upheaval. The lifelong pen pals, who look exactly alike, meet for the first time in their twenties and embark on a daring
Published January 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Carolina Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolina Isle

Beth Hall
Sep 27, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: my worst enemies
This is the worst book I have ever read in my life. That this could be published is proof, I suppose, that anyone, anywhere can write any kind of drivel and have hope that someone will print it and sell it. The premise is ridiculous: 20-something-year-old diametrically-opposite-in- every-way (of course)cousins meet for the first time, discover they are identical-looking, swap places and fool the men in their lives into thinking they are each other. The plot is preposterous, ill-motivated and far ...more
Katie George
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Carolina Isle was a very, very weird book to me...

Let me explain. This book should not be advertised as "romance" or a story where cousins switch identities. I read the back of the book, which claimed Ms. Deveraux's novel was about Ariel and Sara switching their roles, and I read the actual book, which spent relatively no time on that at all! I think this would upset many people—myself included—to advertise it as such, when about 80% of the novel is actually of the mystery/thriller genre.

R.J. sa
Emily
Dec 17, 2017 added it
Not Deveraux's best work. Sara and Ariel are identical cousins who go to King's Isle with Sara's boss and the man Ariel's mother is trying to push her into marrying. The residents of King's Isle have a long-running scheme involving arresting tourists and not letting them off the island without paying a huge fine. However, the situation our quartet of protagonists find themselves in seems rather more sinister.
The book is heavy on exposition, with a lot more "telling" than "showing". Even the act
Maria
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This one hit a little too close to home for me to be comfortable reading it. I grew up on the eastern seaboard and there was a town a bit to the north that had the same reputation as King's Isle, so I was perhaps unreasonably scared by what was happening. I got so agitated at several points that I had to put the book down. On the whole the story was good and I enjoyed it once I had finished. Finished is the key word here. The characters are interesting and fun, except for the treatment they init ...more
Evelyn Wilson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW, this was a delicious book. So awesomely different but still connected to Arundel, North Carolina. So glad the couples got together in the end. No, I am not going to tell you who ended up with who.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was okay in the beginning - I was good with the hokey switcheroo that the cousins tried, but even happier that it didn't work (hard to get behind a male protagonist who's an idiot). The whole island mystery was fairly well told, with some nicely paced action through it. The romances of course seemed very rushed, since there were two within a very short book, but it helped that both were building on very established relationships. The worst part of the book was the end - OMG cheesetasti ...more
bookczuk
Really dreadful. I was in a bind- car went on the blink and I had to pick up a book to read while waiting, but twiddling my thumbs would have been better than this. I've actually read one or two by this author that were rather good, so I thought there might be a possibility. But no-- not only were the characters shallow and trite, but she hasn't a clue about what a Carolina sea island is like. Volcanoes? (even extinct ones) Rocks? Sorry babe- you blew it in my mind. Bleah.

Neha
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just a mindless read to pass your time.
Sue
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't love it. Took some mighty bizarre twists in the middle but simmered down a bit at the end so I made it through. Almost aborted reading it half way through.
Mary
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange book with unusual characters. Is it a romance, a comedy, or a ... murder mystery? Cousins who look alike, decide to trade identities, so they can change their personal circumstances. Little do they know what they are getting into? Then, they travel to an island off the coast of North Carolina and run into a lot of trouble.
Seren Seren
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although the story started out as a bland quite expected and cheesy love story. It had a surprising twist around the first corner. After a few chapters I felt I'm in one of Nancy Drew mysteries. Chasing gold, old islands, conspiracies, kidnap and murder!
I loved every page of it, especially with her telltale sense of humor.
Lauren P. Owen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite author

Jude never disappoints me. This book was so good! There were some great plot twists and humor (which is one of the best reasons I love reading her books). I like the larger than life characters and the way they do big things. You gotta read this book!
Manna_Sue
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This is my first Jude Deveraux book, and I want sure what to expect. This story idea was a bit goofy, but if my sister liked it, it couldn't be too weird. It was amusing! A light adventure. I'd be willing to try another book by the same author.
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This was a weird book and unlike the other JD books I’ve read. It started slowly, then got somewhat better, then rushed to an unsatisfying ending. Meh.
Nathalie
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun vacation read... good mystery but nothing heavy or deep.
pat evans
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling story

A Fine read. Its funny,has romance, buried treasure, a murder, kidnapping ,an all around great tale. If you like that kind of tale, then this for you.
Pam Gaspard
May 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded
unable to finish - not interesting to me
Michelle Pollock
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
It took a little bit for me to get in to it but then it started flowing real good. Will definitely buy more if this is a series.
Melvin Tacha
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I truly enjoyed this story. I have known a few Airel's and it was great to she her soften her attitude to those she felt were beneath her.
Nancy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
No thought required reading...just what you need in the summer!
Mary Ruth
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Curious set of circumstances - friends taking each other's place - an island off the Carolina coast - visitors not welcome. Great beach read.
Icee
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I bought this book because of its lovely cover buuuut I didn't like the story even a bit.
Heather
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The story definitely wasn't what I expected. Ariel doesn't want to marry David, the boy her mother has had picked out for her since she was born; she wants to trade places with her cousin Sara, because she decided she's in love with Sara's boss, RJ. Sara hates her boss, and decides she wouldn't mind falling in love with a boy like David. Oh please, I thought. This is the cheesiest plot ever.

Luckily the facade of their switch doesn't last very long, and Sara, Ariel, RJ, and David are stranded on
Joshua
After I read First Impressions I was excited to pick up this companion novel.

I liked First Impressions because I found it to be a well written, entertaining mystery, with endearing characters and a believable romance. Overall it was a solid beach read.

Yes, it was totally improbable, but that's a part of what made it so fun. You could tell Mrs Deveraux didn't take herself too seriously. It was fun to read, and you could tell she had fun writing it.
I thought Carolina Isle would be similar.

Differe
Anne Marie
May 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Janet
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
July 2013 TBR Challenge book, Carolina Isle, is by one of my most cherished authors – the wonderful Jude Deveraux. Now what do you think of when you think of a Deveraux book? The Taggert and Montgomery families, through the generations.

Unfortunately Carolina Isle is a standalone. There were threads of familiarity – two couples that were meant to be although it took about 7/8s of the book to figure out who would end up with whom … and actually get there. I didn’t feel that cousins Ariel and Sara
Ruth Hill
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, romance
This is my April "Just For Fun Book," and most of up lived up to my expectations. The initial premise of this story was quite riveting. Look-alike cousins switching places, two couples traveling to a mysterious island, and a bit of romance. I continued to marvel at the mystery, and that is often what kept me reading. I appreciate the profanity being minimal, and the bedroom scenes were not detailed (though I did not feel they were necessary).

Within the last 15-20 pages, I became increasingly di
Joy Lada
Randomly grabbed this book from Booksale without even bothering to know what's it all about because I needed change. Lol. While reading all I could think about was, "this book is weird" I mean I didn't really expect it to have some creepy shiznits. And two people switching identities?? Well, this is literary, anything could happen but it's still kinda weird.

I read the first chapter and I was already thinking that this going to be a boring read... As I moved on, I thought maybe this isn't bad af
C
Nov 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I used to adore Jude Deveraux, in my teens and 20's I grabbed anything she wrote and adored it. But I got less and less interested as time went on because she started rushing her endings on the new books. Then I read this and it pissed me off so much that I refuse to read another one of her books (I take that back, I re-read Knight in Shining Armor last year to see if it was as awesome as I thought it was - it wasn't, but it was still good).

As others have written, the first part of the book was
Ann
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-liked
I really enjoyed this *slightly weird* book. The concept of two cousins switching places was strange, I would have understood if they would have been twins, but who would mistake two people, however similar they may be?

The isle and its people were strange. Capturing people by fraiming them for something they did not do in order to get their money.

But for some reason, I really enjoyed the characters. Ariel being so much stornger than anyone gave her gredit for. Sara, the reasonable girl. R.J in
  • Yesterday
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • The Perfect Match
  • In Plain Sight (The Ivory Nation)
  • Lady Robyn (Knight Errant #2)
  • Crazy in Love
  • A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)
  • Kid Calhoun
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo