Start by marking “Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)” as Want to Read:
Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)

Fifty-Fifty

(Eddie Flynn #5)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  9,356 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Two sisters on trial for murder. Both accuse each other.
Who do YOU believe?

Alexandra Avellino has just found her father's mutilated body, and needs the police right away. She believes her sister killed him, and that she is still in the house with a knife.

Published September 3rd 2020 by Orion (first published February 25th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty-Fifty, please sign up.
Raoufa Ibrahim
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  9,356 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Start your review of Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
Paromjit
Steve Cavanagh gives us another fabulous addition to his great legal thriller series, set in New York City, featuring Eddie Flynn, ex-con man now lawyer, discovering the two share a remarkable similarity. It begins with Eddie awaiting the verdict on his latest court trial, he learns the jury have finished their deliberations after having been out for 48 minutes. The one thing that Eddie knows is that you cannot come to a fair and balanced verdict in this, the most complex of cases, in New York's ...more
jessica
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
courtroom drama is the best kind of drama and thats a fact.

and what do you get when two sisters, arrested for the same murder, blame each other? you get drama. lots and lots of entertainingly suspenseful drama. and SC truly has a gift at transporting the reader directly into that courtroom. i will tell you what - i was split 50/50 right until the very end. the story narrative is structured in a very clever and secretive way, i had no idea which sister truly did it.

im not quite sure i enjoyed t
Ceecee
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I spent most of this read with my eyes out on stalks and my mouth opening and closing like window blinds. It’s a look, possibly not attractive. Eddie Flynn’s heart sinks. The jury in his latest trial defending Sofia Avellino has only taken 48 minutes to deliberate. It’s not long enough. Sofia is jointly charged with her sister Alexandra with the brutal murder of their father, ex NYC Mayor, Frank Avellino. Both sisters made separate dramatic 911 calls on the night of the murder blaming the ...more
Matt
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing with Steve Cavanagh’s great legal thriller series, I was pulled into this one from the opening pages. I tried to crack the case quickly, but only found myself more confused (in a good way) as things progressed. When two calls come in to 911 dispatch, they tell of a horrible attack on Frank Avellino, former mayor of New York City. The calls are placed by his daughters, Alexandra and Sofia, each pointing the finger at the other for the attack and sure that their sister is out of control ...more
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
This was one on my most anticipated reads for 2020 and it did not disappoint. I love a good legal thriller, growing up reading John Grisham novels with my dad. Steve Cavanagh is brilliant and writes the most original and addictive stories. Eddie Fylnn returns in his firth book but it can easily be read as a stand alone. In saying that, go back and read the others as they are all fantastic.

Two 911 calls from the same location on the same night. 2 sisters, Sofia and Alexandra find their father, a
bookswithpaulette
Eddie Flynn is back….. I’m sold! Take my money

I loved Thirteen and was super keen to get my hands on the latest Eddie Flynn installment …. It is twisty, cunning, vicious and brutal. That’s all in the first few pages.

The book starts out with a 911 call transcript from caller Alexandra Avellino. She reports her father has been stabbed there’s blood everywhere. Alexandra hides in the bathroom, she’s tells the 911 dispatcher she’s coming up the stairs. I think she has a knife….It’s my sister Sofia.

Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Frank Avellino, the ex-NYC mayor has been stabbed 53 times in his own home. His two daughters, Alexandra and Sofia are both in the house and making 911 calls blaming the other for the crime.

Both women are arrested at the scene on the suspicion of murder and it is up to their lawyers Eddie Flynn, representing Sofia and Kate Brooks representing Alexandra to prove that their clients are innocent.

But which sister is the murderer and not only of her father bu
Carolyn
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Cavanagh writes original, fascinating, and addictive courtroom thrillers. This is the fifth book in the series, and these books get better and better. It was a clever, fast-paced book with a well-executed shocking, twisty plot. A series of vicious, sadistic, and gruesome crimes kept me nervous, surprised and riveted to my seat. I kept changing my mind about which of two sisters murdered their father, a former New York mayor. Each sister accuses the other of the brutal crime. Feelings of te ...more
Helga
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery, crime

Evil is real. It lives in dark places and it can consume a human being like a cancer.

There are no monsters they say.
They are wrong.

Two sisters are on trial for their father’s murder. Each accuses the other for the crime. Both were in the house where the crime was committed. Both had the opportunity to commit it.
The motive: a 44 million Dollar inheritance.

Whoever tells the best story wins.

One of them is lying. One of them is the killer. Can the Jury convict the true murderer and set the innocen
Dora Koutsoukou
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4,5 😮🌪⚡️😮🌟🌟🌟🌟s❗️❗️❗️❗️

Fifty fifty was a great change of scenery!

The concept caught my interest immediately! Two sisters accusing each other for their father’s murder!

A very clever legal thriller that had me constantly alternating my guess of which one was guilty.
Very well written and developed, adeptly paced, engaging, thought-provoking, I didn’t want to put it down.
All characters were amazing, the clues were there but artfully placed throughout the plot.
The get-out-of-jail card erased my dou
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

‘Most killers I’d come across I could make a stab at some kind of explanation for their behavior. Something in their past or their psychology that held the key to their reasoning and criminal behavior. I was always able to rationalize it.

This time, there was no easy explanation. No key.

This one I couldn’t rationalize. Not really. There was something dark at the heart of this case.

Something evil.’

Practicing civil rights lawyer and crime writer Steve
Mike
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME! Cavanagh NAILS IT AGAIN!! This is the fifth installment of Eddie Flynn - and I’m looking forward to numbers 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10! Great premise: two sisters, both giving a similar story - each accusing the other of killing their father. The book has so many deceptive twists and turns and had me continually trying to figure it out - which I thought I did - but I kept switching back-and-forth, never really knowing until the end. Cavanagh is such a refreshing author. I have really enjoyed his ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
EXCELLENT!!!

My View:
This read left me gobsmacked! What a perfect read.

This is Steve Cavanagh at his very best – and his best is GREAT! This was an unbelievably good read: it will astound you, confuse you and mesmerise you. This read will have you on the edge of your chair, holding your breath, jaws locked as you try and decipher the dual stories of pain and tragedy that end in revenge and bloodshed- so much blood.

Sharp, clever and tension packed. This really was a thrilling read. And no, I didn
Gary
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character Eddie Flynn is a great character to write a series of books about. Eddie Flynn used to be a con artist and now makes his living as a lawyer. You may think that this is a complete career change but it turns out the two aren't that different. These novels are fast paced, quirky, humorous at times and have great characters. I love this series by author Steve Cavanagh and find them very entertaining.
This is a clever legal thriller where Eddie is defending Sofia Avellino on a murder cha
Lance Kirby
The book didn’t reach any great heights for me because the twist in it was way to obvious I’ve read other books of his that are better
Adrian Dooley
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make. I have a couple of Steve Cavanaghs previous books and I haven’t gotten around to reading them, despite my wife loving them and telling me they would be right up my street.
So I decided to read this straight away when I got it as an introduction to the series. She was right of course. I devoured this one and loved every minute.

The spiel: Two sisters on trial for the murder of their father in New York. Both made 911 calls reporting the murder and blaming the other as
Hanlie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant as usual. So many twists and turns it leaves you feeling lightheaded! Steve Cavanagh is one of my absolute favourite authors.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I’ve had Steve Cavanagh on my TBR for a while as I was intrigued by the idea of a courtroom drama series featuring a conman-turned-lawyer. When I was assured Fifty-Fifty, the fifth book in the series to feature Eddie Flynn, could be read as a stand-alone I decided to just jump straight in, and I’m glad I did.

In Fifty-Fifty, Eddie finds himself embroiled in a high profile, complex murder case when two sisters accuse each other of the brutal murder of their father, former NYC Mayor Frankie Avellin
Linda Harris
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all the other Eddie Flynn books I’ve read this is a cracker . So well researched . Great storyline . Plenty of red herrings and more than a few OH moments . The characters are just brilliant , would love to see this as a tv series . Well done again Steve ☺️
↠Ameerah↞
Book #5 for the O.W.L.s readathon. ✔

Amazing. Just brilliant.

RTC.
The Book Review Café
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Fifty Fifty is the latest book in the Eddie Flynn series, and although it’s the fifth book in the series it can easily be read as a stand-alone.The book description for Fifty Fifty immediately piqued my interest, Two sisters accusing each other of their fathers murder! There’s nothing I enjoy more than a legal thriller that keeps you guessing. Fifty Fifty has to be the most gripping court room drama I’ve read since Thirteen, it’s tense, fast paced, and so deliciously twisted.

Two sisters, Sofia a
Ingerlisa
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just wow

Steve Cavanagh has done it again. I find this book series and this author the most consistently good to ever exist. I am yet to be disappointed by one of his books. They always get at least a 4* from me and this one was no different.

I love reading about Eddie Flynn, he is one of those morally grey characters at times and I just love it.

To put it simply, I think honestly if you love thrillers and you are yet to try this series just go and pick it up because otherwise I could just babb
Stuart McCarthy
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Cavanagh has done it again! A remarkable story which will keep you on the edge of your seat (even if you are standing up!) You will not pick this ending, it will keep you questioning everything right up until the end. Truly there is no better title since you spend the whole book tossing up who the killer is, it really is Fifty-Fifty!
Danica

Pages - 320

Publisher - Orion

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

Two sisters on trial for murder. Both accuse each other.
Who do YOU believe?

Sofia Avellino has just found her father's mutilated body and needs the police right away. She believes her sister, Alexandra did it, and that she i
Jo_Scho_Reads
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One father killed, two daughters accusing one other of the crime. A joint trial so a 50/50 chance of convicting the real killer.

This was a great courtroom drama with a very dark and disturbing killer.The story unfolded with huge drama and I was constantly changing my mind over who I suspected the murderer to be. This was my first book by Steve Cavanagh so also my first introduction to Eddie Flynn, a trial lawyer who I believe has been in a few of his books. Despite having no prior knowledge of
Eilidh
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, mysteries
I didn’t have any plans to add Fifty-Fifty to my November TBR. I was in a reading slump due to life beating me down, fantasy prose was too hard to read at length and romance and contemporary made me even sadder than I was. So in came mystery/thriller to the rescue, and let me say, it was an epic choice. Nothing quite beats a spontaneous read as well.

Fifty-Fifty was in many ways just like Cavanagh’s other books, in that they are extremely readable, fast going and naturally causes endless wonder
Brenda
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a few chapters into this book when it occurred to me that I ought to be taking notes. I thought I could suss out differences between Alexandra and Sofia and keep track of who was where doing what. Then I decided, no, there's no way. Cavanagh played his cards close to his vest, and there was nothing to do but read along. I enjoyed this book very much. It was cleverly written. ...more
The Coycaterpillar Reads
You don’t review books long before you come across the name Steve Cavanagh. The name is synonymous with the Thriller genre and if you haven’t read anything penned by this ingenious man, then why not? Fifty-Fifty is his new offering.

Fifty-Fifty is a blast to the genitals. Its swift, precise and you are left reeling on the floor. I am obsessed with courtroom dramas. This began when I was a member of a Jury – the atmosphere, the tension and the responsibility emits a fizzing spark within me. Watchi
Craig Sisterson
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, new-york, legal
Northern Irish thriller writer Steve Cavanagh sure knows how to tell a hell of a story. After delivering an excellent standalone last year, he returns to his main character Eddie Flynn, the battered but honourable con man turned defense attorney trying to find some measure of justice for his clients in New York.

Once again Cavanagh sets an appetising hook - two sisters on trial for the brutal killing of their father, the former mayor of New York City. Each accuses the other; the prosecution just
Wirral Libraries ...: Fifty-fifty 1 4 Dec 11, 2020 01:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: wrong original publication date. 2 24 Nov 03, 2020 09:26AM

• Conviction
  • Here To Stay
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Lock Every Door
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • True West
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • Farewell, My Lovely
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Bring Up the Bodies
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • The Wicked Sister
  • The Secret of D-Day
  • Westwind
  • Bombproof
  • November Road
Steve Cavanagh was born and raised in Belfast before leaving for Dublin at the age of eighteen to study Law. He currently practices civil rights law and has been involved in several high profile cases. Selected for the Amazon Rising Stars programme 2015. ACES award winner 2015 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. The Defence is his debut novel.

Follow on twitter @SSCav

Eddie Flynn (5 books)
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...
“It should’ve been” 0 likes
“I wondered how small Levy’s dick had to be for him to get this kind of enjoyment from degrading a female employee. Pretty damn small, I concluded.” 0 likes