Jump to ratings and reviews

Living by the Code

Reflect, refactor & refresh!
Top developers, leaders & innovators in tech share the career advice they wish they’d had when they started. It’s like chatting over coffee with your favorite people in tech — but better!

It’s hard to make it as a developer in today’s tech world, and even harder to find mentors who can give you the straight advice on what it takes to go from good, to great, to amazing.

But — what if you could pick the brains of today’s top developers, leaders and innovators in tech...

...discovering the paths each person took to get where they are today...
...learning from the mistakes and pivots they’ve made in their careers...
...and start using the exact tips and techniques that keep them at the top of their game?
Living by the Code brings the experiences and insights of over 40 of these influencers together in one single book, to help you grow your career in today’s ever-changing technical landscape.

If you’re struggling to make your mark in the competitive tech industry, then this book is what you need to make your best career move — no matter whether you’re a developer for a big corporation, a scrappy solo entrepreneur, or someone in between.

It’s like having dozens of tech’s best mentors — right at your fingertips.

Be your best by learning from the best: including Felix Krause, Annyce Davis, Fernando Cejas, Cate Huston, Huyen Tue Dao, John Sundell, Ash Furrow, Zarah Dominguez, Hadi Hariri & many more!

517 pages, Paperback

5 books44 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Filip Radon.
6 reviews
February 22, 2020
Good one - it lets you commute, eat lunch or just spend some free time with some very inspirational people from the tech industry (at least I treated this book like that).
It has some really nice bits about managing/leader roles and also kinda bust the myth that without morning routine you can’t be successful!
It gives plenty of extremely valuable book recommendations as well!
What resonated the most with me is one sentence from Mark Allison - “The secret is hard work”.
Profile Image for Mihai Leonte.
33 reviews5 followers
October 16, 2019
The developers interviewed are mostly from the mobile space, which was a plus for me. The books is a Q&A, with every chapter covering a different developer. The questions are mostly the same across all interviews. What do you like about the industry? What trends you don't like. Do you have a routine. Tips. Favorite books, podcasts.
There were many similarities between the answers, but that's to be expected.
One valuable takeaway for me personally - was the advice to teach others. Not only for altruistic motives, but you learn a lot in the process. I have a renewed drive to create useful content for others.
Profile Image for Victoria Gonda.
Author 6 books4 followers
September 6, 2019
I recently finished reading this and WOW IT'S AMAZING! I'm so happy I got to read this. It's like sitting in a room with all these great leaders and getting to chat with them (without the intimidation ;] ). I learned so much that I want to apply to my career growth, and I want to go back through, collect my favorite thoughts, and create a to read list from all the suggestions.
Profile Image for Tyrone.
2 reviews1 follower
November 3, 2019
I really did not learn much. I would of preferred less people being interviewed and maybe less but more in-depth interviews. It felt like a consolidated collection of interviews I could of found on the internet. An easy read and includes some interesting resources.
Profile Image for Aditya.
69 reviews11 followers
May 17, 2021
The fact that most of people interviewed here is mobile developer is making this book so useful for me.
Profile Image for Mauricio Chirino.
64 reviews6 followers
May 29, 2021
This is one of those ethical books that might be boring to read but has its hidden gems in it. It's skimming friendly so you can really just read the index part and choose your points of interest to move more quickly.
Profile Image for Vander Alves.
262 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2021
A collection of insightful interviews that read like relaxing and wisdom-filled chats with several names of relevance in the tech and software realms.
Profile Image for DJ Satoda.
107 reviews9 followers
August 25, 2020
Among advice books (which I’m starting to grow wary of) this is a good one for both junior and senior developers! It’s interesting seeing a bunch of advice stacked back-to-back to see common threads that bind them.

I believe the subtitle may be slightly misleading, as the bulk of the interviews seem to be relatively unknown (although I’m sure excellent) engineers
Profile Image for Thomas Hansen.
24 reviews1 follower
September 21, 2019
Enjoyed the book very much. Its a bit Android focused, but that was fine even if I am not an Android developer myself.

The page count on my ebook was 731 pages so the goodreads number made my progress seem better than it was;)
Profile Image for Florence Njeri.
23 reviews1 follower
December 16, 2020
Amazing tips and hacks that I am sure I will use in the course of my career. As an entry level Software Developer, I have gained a lot of value from this book.
Profile Image for Brad Boehmke.
3 reviews
February 22, 2021
Good discussions, tips, and insights from many developers. Short chapters focused on single interviews make it easy to read a little every day. My main disappointment is that many of the developers interviewed seem to be Android and Kotlin developers (and many from Google), which means the perspectives could be a bit biased.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.