Start by marking “The Lost Future of Pepperharrow” as Want to Read:
The Lost Future of Pepperharrow

The Lost Future of Pepperharrow

(The Watchmaker of Filigree Street #2)

Natasha Pulley's Watchmaker of Filigree Street captivated readers with its charming blend of historical fiction, fantasy, and steampunk. Now, Pulley revisits her beloved characters in a sequel that sweeps readers off to Japan in the 1880s, where nationalism is on the rise and ghosts roam the streets.

1888. Five years after they met in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street,
Expected publication: March 5th 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Future of Pepperharrow, please sign up.
Andover Library Yes you should. Not only is it a great book you'll find Pepperharrow easier to get into and more meaningful if you do.…moreYes you should. Not only is it a great book you'll find Pepperharrow easier to get into and more meaningful if you do. (less)
Michael Mccoy Goodreads now says publication is expected to be March 5, 2020. Don't you hate waiting? :-)

Start your review of The Lost Future of Pepperharrow
Robin Hobb
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of steampunk, ghost stories, clairvoyance and romance
Shelves: fantasy
The usual caveat: I received this book free as an advance reading copy from the publisher. I do not think that prevents me from giving an honest review.

Another caveat: While this book can stand alone, I believe one should read The Watchmaker of Filigree Street before diving into The Lost Future of Pepperharrow.

This story takes place a handful of years after the events related in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street.

Most of the events take place in 1888 and in a Japan that almost might have existed.
Catherine
Jul 13, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
MOTHERFUCKING YES Y'ALL
Mary Robinette Kowal
Dear God, I loved this book. I read it in ARC. Go pre-order it now and just trust me.

It's a sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, which I also loved, but I think you can read it as a standalone.

Look, the voice in this is so strong. Each character feels vividly real. I love what she does with... a lot. But in particular, I love her handling of Six. This little girl is so clearly loved by her adopted fathers as she is. She's also, to a modern eye, clearly autistic but they don't have the
Auribelle
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as remember  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wait-for-it
Thank Neptune, Katsu is back <3 Don't think I was ever so devastated over the 'death' of any fictional character... ever.
Oh, excited about the rest of the book, too ;)
Katie Lumsden
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute triumph. Natasha Pulley has done it again. Magnetic, clever, atmospheric and moving, this is a truly wonderful novel, and a worthy sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street!
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan
Aug 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmmmmm I see the blurb has been tweaked, Thaniel and Mori have not been no homo'd so blatantly now!

Like, why shy away from from the queer elements? The audience for this sequel is obviously going to be coming from the first book... where we all saw they became a couple? It's 2019, come on.

Review March 2018:
I've been hyped for this book for two years, but the publishers kind of killed it themselves when the blurb said Keita Mori was Thaniel's 'closest friend'.

Hello?? Closest friend???
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(view
Kate
Nov 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
July 2019-
Yes: A cover! :)
No: The release date has been moved to 5 months later. :(

Nov 2018-
I don't think I can explain how much I need this. Mori and Thaniel in Japan, meeting Mori's family who are just like, "You left our influential family, became a watchmaker, and sail to England for him?", and Thaniel pretending he isn't fluent in Japanese. Yeah, I need this.
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
(view spoiler)

Rep: mlm mc with synesthaesia, Japanese mlm mc, autistic side character, Japanese characters and setting
Lauren James
[Gifted]
Plotted as intricately as clockwork, this weaves together historical political warfare with electromagnetic science research and magical clairvoyance. The characters are what really makes this sing, though: secretive, morally grey Mori, insecure and devastated Nathaniel and their adopted daugher Six, who is obsessed with electrics, and has autism. I love them all, and would happily read a whole series of their adventures.
Meep
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as preordered  ·  review of another edition
Unclear when this book is due but the blurb contains the magic word - KATSU
Obviously I NEED to read this ;)
Rhian Pritchard
I forgot how much I love the way Natasha writes, especially because our customers tend to be so Marmite about it. I understand why it doesn't work for some readers but I fall hard on the 'oh fuck I love what this does to me' side. It's full of detail and winding, to the point where about a hundred pages in I was getting to the 'okay Thaniel's just whining now, and while it's justified, it's still just whining' and then I had a Rebecca moment because DUH I should have trusted Natasha but I'm very ...more
Connie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mori, Thaniel and adopted daughter Six, travel to Tokyo Japan where the staff at the British Legation are seeing ghosts, and Thaniel's task is to find out what's going on. Strange electric storms manifest and Mori disappears - Mori has a gift and there are some who will stop at nothing to use it. This is a magical historical fiction with a thread of fantasy running through it. It's a follow up to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street and I feel like I've waited forever for this but it was definitely ...more
Moog
I don't usually rate books, but oh my GOD. My wife got an arc of this and I'm so glad because it has almost made my year.
Stephanie
Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis! I'm yelling!
Alpacapanache
I completely forgot this was coming since I added it SEPT 2017, but here we are in 2020 and my pre-order will be here IN A FREAKIN MONTH YOU GUYS.
Marisa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review forthcoming with World Literature Today. Right now, just gonna say that I and everyone in this book really Went Through It but I just gotta learn to trust Pulley. She hasn't let me down so far.
Jen 3_Piets
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book on my highly anticipated list of “waiting to be published in 2018” books. Mori and Thaniel comprised my favourite read of 2017. What will this bring?!
Andover Library
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d been looking forwards to reading this book since I learn’t it was coming and I certainly wasn’t disappointed.

The Lost Future of Pepperharrow is the follow up novel to the wonderful Watchmaker of Filigree Street. If you havn’t read that book yet (and you should because its great) you will need to before diving in to this one.

Although you could probably follow the story without doing so, you would have missed everything that led Thaniel, Mori and Six to where they are at the start of
C.L. Williams
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Natasha Pulley's writing and I was so thrilled when I received an ARC copy of this book from the publishers. It promises a phenomenal journey into Victorian-era London to a haunted, steampunk version of nineteenth-century Tokyo.

It is also the sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, which I also read and loved.

It follows the story of Thaniel Steepleton to a posting in Tokyo. His brief is a strange one, the staff at the British Legation have been seeing ghosts and he is
gwendalyn _books_
Highly anticipated book can’t wait to read this it’s on the top of my TBR List!,
e ll a ✨
please pull me out of this reading slump you majestic thing, please i bEG YOU
Debra
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thaniel is unwell so a posting to Japan is perfect timing in order to get away from the London smog. In Japan he is introduced to Mori's world - his friends, his bannermen, his wife and his wonderful home. There are strange goings on in Japan - the electricity is sparking and ghosts keep appearing. Japan is in turmoil with a Russian fleet off Nagasaki and an unpopular prime minister. Thaniel and Mori's private world is none the less tumultuous.
I have to confess at this point that I wasn't a big
Laura Newsholme
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightfully whimsical and weird book with some fabulous characters and I really enjoyed it. It tells the story of Mori and Thaniel and their journey to Japan in late 1888, where they must attempt to stop a Russian invasion and discover why there are so many ghosts in Tokyo.

The Positives: I love all of the characters here and they are so well drawn and fleshed out that they feel completely authentic. I particularly loved Six and thought the way she was represented was fantastic, as
Cadiva
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not sure just quite how to review this book.

It's such a complex narrative, wrapping a number of different threads together to create a rich mix of historical fiction with a steampunk style and a quiet bit of queer romance.

There's no spoilers here, it would utterly ruin the beautiful way Natasha Pulley's sequel to the truly brilliant The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, slowly gives up its secrets.

My heart was in my mouth on many occasions. The title itself a nod to a plot line which turns
Nic Carnes
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Amanda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thrilled to be offered this as an ARC from the publishers. It has been a long time since I read The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (the prequel to this novel), but the story soon came rushing back to me. The deepening of the relationship between the central characters was very much appreciated, particularly with the addition of Six, the young girl adopted by our favourite couple, who is most likely autistic and having to deal with her differences in a world which truly does not understand ...more
Thesincouch
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

• The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Smailholm
  • The Water Dancer
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • Deeplight
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • The Intoxicating Mr Lavelle
  • The Mercies
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Corset
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • Marriageology: The Art and Science of Staying Together
  • The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
Natasha Pulley is a British author, best known for her debut novel, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street , which won a Betty Trask Award.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (2 books)
  • The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #1)