Start by marking “The Wailing Woman” as Want to Read:
The Wailing Woman

The Wailing Woman

(Supernatural Sisters #5)

Good girls don't talk back. Good girls don't cry. Good girls don't scream.

Sadie Burke has been forced to be a good girl her entire life. As a banshee, she's the bottom of the ladder when it comes to the supernatural hierarchy. Weak. Condemned. Powerless. Silent. That's what she and her six sisters have been told their entire lives, since their species was first banished
Published September 26th 2019 by Piatkus

Start your review of The Wailing Woman
The Nerd Daily
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by AB Endacott

Despite not having read any of the previous books in Maria Lewis Supernatural Sisters series, Ive heard a great many positive things about them and it meant I came to The Wailing Woman excited and intrigued. I wasnt let down.

Told from the perspectives of Tex, an Askari (a stazi-like policeman for the supernatural community), and Sadie, a banshee who is rendered mute by the Askari to silence her dangerous wail, the story reunites the
Bron
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***Thank you to Hachette Australia for sending me a copy of The Wailing Woman for review***

The Wailing Woman is one of my favourite reads this year! It's fierce and feministy and diverse and just a ready fun ride. Pick it up - even if you think you don't like fantasy! I think this would be a good read if you enjoyed Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House and are looking for more urban fantasy.
Emily
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
GIVE ME MOREEEEEEEE (please and thank you)!! I love the MLU (Maria Lewis Universe) and want to see more of it! I loved how this book brought most of the previous characters together - whether through mention or actually seeing them. (view spoiler)
Retniap
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
My first beef with this book: it's actually number four in a series. This isn't indicated anywhere within the blurb or on/inside the cover. In fact, I only cottoned on after I started the book and began to feel like I was missing things - as though there was a lot of assumed knowledge about the book's fictional universe that I just didn't have. I google the book/author and lo and behold.

This ploy, which publishers are increasingly trying to pull, never fails to gets my hackles up. In fact, my
Lizz
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs
For someone who hasnt read anything by Maria Lewis before, I was sucked into the wailing woman and finished it in two days.
We follow Sadie, who is a banshee, as she loses one of her powers at the hand of a man, and continue to follow her throughout the story as she fights to stay alive, fights for her family and fights to be who she really is.
Ive never read anything like this before and it was so refreshing.
The world building was amazing and her writing style just made me want to keep reading.
Tanya
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
I
Um
Wow
Where to start.
A published book with a Shazza in it. Driving a Ute, iirc, and upset that her Barina doesnt have enough grunt. (Apologies Maria if I have recalled incorrectly!!)
I loved this book, and love how its tied in a number of characters I loved from the earlier books.
My only problem now is that I need the next book, so I can learn the fate of these wondrous characters!!
If you have teen girls, please, please, PLEASE pass these books into their hands. Just maybe read them yourself
Emma-Kate
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wailing Woman was my first Maria Lewis book after seeing her sassy tweets (I actually met her at Nova and got a copy signed before even reading it, so lots of faith here!), and it didn't disappoint! It was such a unique perspective, with such a varied cast (and lovin' the Aussie landscape in it). I actually went and picked up another book of hers yesterday right after finishing it because her writing style is so on brand.
Rebecka
Review to Come, but let me say that this was an amazing book. It was fun and emotional and, as an Irish Australian, exciting to read.
Book-a-Holic
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Livvy Nicklaus
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is 100% in the "beautiful cover buy" pile, I love the art. And the story is intriguing, emotional and thought-provoking. I love the very real and potent theme of hegemonic masculinity that is shown throughout the story and how it's dealt with by the female protagonist. I read it cover to cover in no time. Although this book is part of a series it is very easily read as a standalone and I didn't feel I lacked understanding from not reading the others first, but now they have been added ...more
Lissa
4.5 Stars

An excellent read, I absolutely flew through it - I read it in two sittings. I loved the writing, the characters, the relationship, the references... a brilliant, easy to read, story.

This can be read as a stand alone. However, there are a few characters, cameos and big picture things that, personally, I was vaguely aware of but flew a bit over my head. I have no doubt that upon reread of the series my rating will be bumped up to 5 stars.

Side note: Maria Lewis is a rad lady who is
Rosemary Race
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All those girls had to be doing something in the Burke family?
Talented not only for being the obvious they had talents not heard of including midnight mermaid swims or friends in 'high' places. More a spy/thriller/adventure/cat woman out there read. I loved it couldn't put it down you know one of those books you just have to finish in a few days! Gosh its that good will there be a sequel love to know what happens in NZ?
Karina
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, e-book
2.5☆
Anthea Wright
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adored this adventure, showcasing australia and auslan with such a unique hero. Gimme more!
Abstract Magpie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant piece of literature. I was fully immersed in the world Maria Lewis created and enjoyed every second of learning banshee history. Would recommend for any fantasy reader!
Nicole
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story so much. Once I sat to read, such a luxury to read a real book, I simply could not put it down. I bought this book when I decided to go to an author book launch on a whim. So damn pleased I did. I have now found a new great author. I loved that this book was set in Sydney too so many familiar places. Now to read the rest of Marias books. ...more
Amanda
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was excited to read a story about Banshees as I dont think I have read a book focused on Banshee lore.
I didnt realise that this book is set in a paranormal world that is part of a series. I thought it was a stand alone and as such I found it very confusing as it made a lot of references that I missed due to not reading the other books.
While I liked that the story was about Banshees I was confused most of the time and wished I had read the previous books first.
Jenny
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Book 5, it would of been nice to have known this was a part of a series before reading. Cannot see any indication on or in book to say it is book 5 so part of a series. This is ANNOYING.
Jessica M
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Wailing Woman is another urban fantasy novel from Australian author Maria Lewis, this time turning our attention to the legend of Banshees a supernatural creature not very common in fantasy novels.

Maria Lewis fifth novel, The Wailing Woman is about Sadie Burke and her voice, literally. When she is a young girl, it is discovered that Sadie Burkes banshee scream has the ability to hurt maybe even kill others and so her voice is taken from her. She lives her life as
Katie Whysall
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing mix of old traditional stories and modern day and underground
Emily Maree
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed.

I absolutely loved everything about this book.
The Wailing Woman is about a girl named Sadie who is a Banshee, along side her 6 sisters. When Sadie is a child she gets her voice taken away from her, because a Banshee is not allowed to use their wail as it is very powerful. We jump in time to 10 years later and Sadie is having to use sign language as a way to communicate. Someone from Sadie's childhood re appears and chaos breaks loose, causing Sadie and her childhood friend, Tex, to
idreamofallthebooks
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good girls dont talk back. Good girls dont cry. Good girls dont scream.

This story has easily become one of my favourite reads of the year! The dual perspectives, the links to myths and legends and the intricate plotting my gosh it had everything!

The dual perspectives of Sadie and Texas allowed for elements of the intricate plot to be revealed in an authentic way that was not overwhelming for the reader. It also gave the reader a sense of what it was truly like to be both one of the Askaris and
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Since reading Whos Afraid? and Whos Afraid Too? and The Witch Who Courted Death, I couldnt wait to get my hands on The Wailing Woman.

Each book focuses on a supernatural being, be it badass female werewolves with blue hair, witches who were driven underground after hundreds of years of persecution or, in this case, Banshees and curiously, shape-shifting wombats!

Author Maria Lewis clearly loves, lives and breathes this genre and it shows through the depth of her characters and how carefully they
Annie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Maria Multiverse but I have to say this one is a personal favourite now. I really enjoyed how Maria develops both characters we follow: Sadie and Texas - how she demonstrates their strengths and flaws so well. I really found Banshees as a creatures in this story interesting as they are very different to other supernatural creatures I have read. Maria did so well in tying characters from her other books in this one, blending them into a new story and referencing their backstories too. ...more
Samthefangirl
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
When she cries someone dies
Urban fantasy and some kick-ass females? Sign me up! 💙
Perfect for lovers of the supernatural and wickedly amazing women - if you loved the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews then this is one you will want to pick up.
The Wailing Woman by Maria Lewis was my first (and definitely not my last) title by this author and I was captivated by all that encompasses the Maria Lewis World!
Im still absorbing this story but wow, what a ride!
Overall I rate The Wailing Woman a
Melissa
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love how all of the characters from the other books start to combine into each other's books. I love the ending but I also had a good cry as well. I have never read a series like it. I also love that this book is during the who's afraid 2 book and it isn't before it or after it.
Sara
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - I wasnt aware that this is the forth book in Maria Lewis supernatural series however it serves as a standalone. I chose the book because of its beautiful cover and am so glad it did. The story was completely immersive, action filled, includes supernatural creatures and a love story, what more can you ask for! The ending felt like there is a sequel to come which I look forward to. ...more
Sheryl
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it :) Can't wait for the next one
Emily
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There needs to be more to this amazing book. I can't deal without more, it was such an energetic read filled with loyalty, love, feminism and just all around fun.
Mar 26, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • A Very Medoran Kaldoras (The Medoran Chronicles, #5.1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Euphoria Kids
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Royally Screwed (Royally, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Pucked (Pucked, #1)
  • Impossible Causes
  • Deeplight
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • The Ninth Sorceress
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #2)
Maria Lewis is a journalist and author based in Australia. Getting her start as a police reporter, her work on pop culture has appeared in publications such as the New York Post, Guardian, Penthouse, The Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Empire Magazine, The Daily Mail, Penthouse, Junkee, WHO Weekly, Huffington Post, SBS, ABC and many more. A journalist for over 14 years, she was previously seen on SBS ...more

Supernatural Sisters (5 books)
  • Who's Afraid?  (Tommi Grayson #1)
  • Who's Afraid Too?  (Tommi Grayson #2)
  • It Came From The Deep
  • The Witch Who Courted Death

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...