Start by marking “The Summer of Wishful Thinking” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Wishful Thinking

The Summer of Wishful Thinking

For fans of The Note and The Shape of Us, this is the heart-warming and uplifting love story of the summer.

Gemma Whitehall helps people tie the knot as the local registrar, but watching loved-up couples exchange their vows serves only to highlight what’s missing from her own life. Gemma can’t ignore the fact that life – and love – are slipping through her fingers.

Sam Ranwo
ebook
Published May 8th 2020 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Wishful Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Wishful Thinking

Start your review of The Summer of Wishful Thinking
catherine ♡
Jun 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Actual Rating: 1.5

This had so much potential at the start, and I was really interested in the premise. The idea of the main character, Gemma Whitehall, being a single mother working as the local registrar for couples and yet not being able to grasp a relationship herself…it’s a feeling of being in the middle of everything and yet on the outside looking in, that I’m sure many of us can relate to.

And Sam started off as a very nice character as well, who had a tragic past I wanted to know more abou
Donna Hines
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Being open to love is only part of the battle...
This is the story of two individual yet unique individuals who seem to be looking for the same in life but go about it in two different ways.
Our main gal is Gemma whose working as a wedding registrar with happily and in love couples daily wish highlights her own personal relationships.
Meanwhile, Sam has had a tragic loss of a loved one whose overdosed and now feels partly responsible and unable to move forward and release the demons.
Building walls
Gaele
Gemma has managed her own life, for better or worse, since having her son Leo at age fifteen. Fourteen years on and Leo’s father is still wholly irresponsible, Leo isn’t like “other boys”, and the constant financial struggles mean that replacing what her ex has stolen is near impossible. She’s working all hours, as a Registrar for the council she’s recording births, deaths and performing weddings. And this weekend’s ceremony is a wedding at an estate that has been bought by a “Londoner” who has ...more
Becky Sumner
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well I have to start this review by saying this is in my top 3 books of the year so far and I've read over 30 so far!
I loved it from the start. There were 2 characters I didn't like because you weren't supposed to.. The first character being 14 year old Leo's father. He was a nasty piece of work and then Gemmas mum. Although she grew on me in the end.
I loved the cover of the book and every word from the first to the last.
The characters were delightful and very relatable to, Gemma having a hard
Megan
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
The Summer of Wishful Thinking was a hit and a miss for me!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the book, the characters were lovely, especially William and Leo and the eventual connection between Sam and Gemma.

I didn't love the pacing or the lack of conflict building. I had a hard time buying the animosity between the main characters as it seemed pretty one and done. People are going to call this an enemy to lovers book but it's a bad first impression to lovers if anything! The ending was also ki
Sarah Perchikoff
DNF. The male character started to get really aggressive and made the female character feel like shit and that was not ok. I don't know how he could come back from that to turn this into the romance I thought it was supposed to be and I'm not willing to stick around and find out I get books can show real life issues but this ruined it for me (and brought up personal things). Books are my escape and this wasn't that for me.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Happiness, smiles, pure joy. That’s what I felt leaving the pages of this book. It’s just a heartwarming and adorable read, absolutely lovely characters that you root for straight from the first time you meet them , you will them on as you read. The supporting characters are perfect and funny, I really hope Eve writes more and makes a series of these characters. Truly enjoyable and a great distraction

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Nicola Finch
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-reads
Thank you netgalley for letting me read this lovely story.
From start to finish I couldn’t put it down.
I was hoping for good things to happen between Gemma and Sam from early on in the story. I was swept along with the will they won’t they.
Will look out for more books by this author.
CheckLitOutEm
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is just the cutest of reads...and not just because of the romance, but instead the budding relationship between characters of different generations.

Gemma is a registrar performing the weddings of many couples each day. She finds herself comparing their loved-up, romantic bliss to her failing relationships, leaving her wondering when things will happen for her. The story opens with Gemma conducting the marriage of Phil and Neil, a couple who have entrusted their friend Sam to organise their
B.
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting set-up for a romance novel. Gemma is approaching 30 and a single mom with a 14-year old son. Do the math to see what a struggle she’s had in her life. She’s a registrar in a small English town who does weddings, funerals, and baptisms. Sam is a former policeman who has tired of the depressing struggles of that life and retired and bought a castle with the hopes of restoring the gardens and castle to make it a wedding venue.

Gemma rents out a cottage on the grounds and pro
Mirna Skuhan
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter for the ARC version of this book.

The book follows Gemma and Sam with their own narrative for the story of their lives, love and dilemmas.

I really enjoyed reading about two characters that had difficult pasts that form them into their present selves. I loved their interaction and how they changed during the course of the book whilst acknowledging that everyone is a human being and that we all make mistakes.

Life isn't just wh
Leslie Books and Socks Rock
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet book. Gemma Whitehall is a single mum, trying her best to raise her 14 yr old son Leo the best she can but her job isn’t the highest paid and now her ex, Leo’s dad, has stolen her laptop. She needs to move and finds a dilapidated cottage on grounds of a castle for a discounted rent.

Only the new landlord of the castle, Sam Ranworth, is making too many promises he can’t keep. His list of things to do on the castle grounds grows as fast as it’s weeds: he also has to keep on eye on
Em
May 29, 2020 added it
The best part of this book was the characters. I loved Gemma, her unwavering independence and tenacity particularly in regard to looking after her son - Sam was also a worthy love interest; as a kind but damaged man who had been living life in hibernation mode after a traumatic relationship. Their interactions were not always sunshine and rainbows (which is reflective of real relationships) and seemed to be accurate considering their past experiences, but made this a charming story of second cha ...more
Lauren Magnusson
Summer of Wishful Thinking by Eve Edwards

This book was an easy quick light hearted read. It has the classic enemies to lovers plot line.

The main character is Gemma, a young single mother, who’s life is complicated by her ex husband/ baby daddy drama, her family dynamics with her parents and the threat of losing her job. She moves into a cottage on castle grounds which are being renovated by Sam, ex-cop with his own family issues. She thinks he is a grump, he thinks she is flakey.

I enjoyed
Linda
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🏰 Lovely summer 💞romance with a super cast of characters🌼

I loved this story, its characters and the plot. Gemma, the beleaguered, financially-strapped heroine, is a single mother trying her best to raise a techno-absorbed teen son. Her dwindling resources force their move to an economical rental cottage and put her in the orbit of Sam, a former London policeman who's decided to restore a castle but keeps getting sidetracked by caring for his ailing father. in addition to the romance, unusual fri
Rachel Decruz
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing read! Eve Edwards once again takes the ordinary and does magic. Gemma is a lovely character. So full of good cheer and brimming with pithy humour, Gemma braves the world with her son Leo and strives despite the odds to make a home wherever she lives. Sam, her landlord, comes across at first as grumpy, staid, and a regular stick-in-the-mud. However, unexpected depths of character are unearthed as the book progresses and through his many flaws and impulsive manner, his genuine kindnes ...more
Emilie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
THE SUMMER OF WISHFUL THINKING is a sweet story about family, loss, and love. I love it when a romance has flawed, but loveable lead characters and Sam & Gemma really fit the bill. I really loved how they learned from each other as the story progressed.

This book started out a little slow for me, but picked up afterwards and kept a good story pace after that. After the slow start the ending felt rushed, but was very satisfying.

I found the writing choppy in places, jumping too quickly between ch
Emma Harvey
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for a review!

Gemma needs to move to get away from her sponging ex, who is the father of her son Leo. She finds a cottage on the grounds of a castle, and moves in swiftly. Sam the owner is grumpy and doesn’t do the work he promised, but Gemma soon discovers that he has a lot on his plate and some of it she can help with...

I really loved this book. Gemma was a great character, a lovely mum and an independent woman. Her son Leo was just hea
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A big thank you to Netgalley for picking me to review this book. I quick read about love, life and dilemmas. The main character Gemma is handed one hardship after another. At 15, she became a single mother and it was all downhill until she met Sam. Sam, ex-cop from London has just purchased a castle in the countryside. I pictured Sam as Daniel Craig, strong handsome closed off to anything dealing with love or commitment.
I Just realized it was 1am 🤷‍♀️ I’ve been reading all night and I want to k
Rachel Chambers
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
With thanks to Net Gallery and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Gemma is a registrar who has had a bumpy start in life having fallen pregnant at 15 to a man who is a total waste if space. Despite no longer being with him he still find a ways to make her and her son's life miserable so she decides to move out of town. She finds herself renting the Gate House, a small cottage at the entrance to a castle. The castle owner Sam happens to be very d
Colin Bell
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gemma has a son from a brief relationship when she was a young teenager, however her relationship with his father is non - existent and has put her off relationships.
Sam has his own problems with relationships, plus he has taken on a castle t to renovate and make a living from.
When Gemma moves into a cottage on the estate this brings the two together, can they fight their mutual attraction and avoid forming a relationship? Add Gemma's alcoholic ex and Sam's father who is suffering from Alzheime
Keeks
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC in exchange for this honest review. I really wanted to like the book... Gemma, a mom who had her son at 15 (she was now 29) needed something good in her life after lots of bad luck. Sam, a retired cop whose girlfriend had committed suicide was in need of the same. It could have been a straightforward romance, but it got lost in the details: the dad with dementia, the baby daddy who didn't have a job and had a tendency toward theft, the mob angle (?!?!), and the dead girlfriend ...more
Rona Nimmo
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Miss Sara L Walker
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’d like to thank Harper Collins and Netgalley for this advance copy of this enjoyable book. I loved it from the start and there was loads going on with the story. Both main characters were great but my favourites were William and Leo. Their growing relationship was lovely and a great aspect to the story. The setting was fabulous- loved the castle but always wanted to live in a little cottage in a village so it really appealed to me.
This would be a great holiday read- lighthearted but gripping
Cynthia L Everson
Real-Time Love

I chose that rating because the writing was superb! The writing was not flowery, but spoke about real situations, that included a father with dementia, an immature Dad, and job loss to name a few. Gemma had great friend, and Sam had excellent support when he needed it most. Gemma's mom was a bit of a naysayer, but we all show love in different ways. Her son Leo matured as well throughout the book. Brilliant writing, and I would certainly read more of her books!
Melissa
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these characters. They were developed and even if you could see a part of the plot coming up it was still done nicely. It was well written and you felt for the characters, especially when they couldn't seem to catch a break. We've all had days (or weeks or months) where it felt like nothing was going right and I appreciated how the characters really felt 'true' in those moments.
Julia
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for honest review. This was a lighthearted romance novel that was a fun, easy read. The characters were very likeable and realistic, the plot was easy to follow but engaging enough to keep reading, and it had a classic happy ending! I read this book just after having a new baby, and it was the perfect book to read - it didnt require a lot of concentration but was distracting, uplifting and enjoyable!
Christine Rennie
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley

With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
The summer of wishful thinking by Eve Edwards is an easy book to read,. It just flows along at its own pace and the storyline and the characters are easy to listen to and enjoy. It is a romantic tale, set in a castle with its own gardens which have been neglected and are being restored by the owner, who falls for his new tenant.
An easy to read romance.
Highly recommended.
Holly Rose
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Did someone say... character development?! Honestly The Summer of Wishful Thinking was amazing in developing even the background characters to complete people, with their own stories and changed throughout the book. I’ll admit it took me a while to like the writing style and I do think that sometimes minor things were over described, but really that could be my own preference. Overall I really enjoyed the book and it’s nice to have some older main characters than conventional romance.
Rachel Kennedy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story of Gemma and Sam

An easy read in a great setting of a castle being bought back to life. Will it have the same effect on it's owner Sam, who has shut himself off for years.

Gemma is struggling with all life is throwing at her - will moving to a cottage in the castle grounds make life easier?

A great book, looking forward to more from this author.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a voluntary and honest review.

• The Little Bookshop of Love Stories
  • The Plus One Pact
  • The Five-Year Plan
  • The First Date
  • The New Guy
  • Swipe Right
  • The Little Teashop in Tokyo (Romantic Escapes, #6)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Don't Go Stealing My Heart (Showmen, #2)
  • That Night in Paris (Holiday Romance Book 2)
  • The Secret Seaside Escape
  • Never Saw You Coming
  • The Saturday Morning Park Run
  • A Promise of Home (Lake Howling, #1)
  • Starcross Manor (Love Heart Lane Series, Book 4)
  • Aria’s Travelling Book Shop
  • The Texan Meets His Match (Lake Howling, #2)
  • The Second Chance Hotel
Eve Edwards has a doctorate from Oxford University and thinks researching a large part of the fun for writing historical fiction. She has visited Tudor houses, attended jousts and eaten Elizabethan banquets to get the sights, sounds and tastes right for this book. And, yes, she can testify that it is possible to eat neatly without the modern invention of the fork. She lives in Oxford and is marrie ...more