Start by marking “The Chill” as Want to Read:
The Chill

The Chill

In this terrifying thriller, a supernatural force—set in motion a century ago—threatens to devastate New York City.

Far upstate, in New York’s ancient forests, a drowned village lays beneath the dark, still waters of the Chilewaukee reservoir. Early in the 20th century, the town was destroyed for the greater good: bringing water to the millions living downstate. Or at least
Published February 11th 2020 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chill, please sign up.
Dan Donlin That's funny, as I thought the same thing! I enjoyed The Fisherman, but less than I anticipated. Hopefully The Chill will be a good read.…moreThat's funny, as I thought the same thing! I enjoyed The Fisherman, but less than I anticipated. Hopefully The Chill will be a good read. (less)

Start your review of The Chill
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
3.25 STARS

With The Chill, we have Michael Koryta writing under the pseudonym Scott Carson, and he seems to be returning to his original style of supernatural thriller, something he does extremely well. From the prologue here I was hooked, and it's no surprise that the author is able to spin a web of lies and deceit, but with a paranormal flair. I'm not sure what will be included in the finished copy, but I found the information surrounding the research that the author did into past events that
J.D. Barker
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic supernatural thriller that harkens back to horror's glory days. Character driven and ominously creepy, this one will have you wondering what's at the other end of that drippy faucet in the kitchen.
Juli
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An update New York village was flooded 75 years ago for a reservoir project. There are legends about the strange things that happen in the Dead Waters...the area where you can still see the burnt out submerged buildings that used to be Galesburg. But it's more than that.....an evil....a strange heaviness that is more than just the leftovers of a flooded village.

I'm a sucker for stories about submerged towns. There are so many urban legends surrounding reservoir projects and submerged towns,
Laura Rash
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! Sometimes books that are hyped just don’t live up to my expectations but this one did! It’s terrifically written and laid out so the story just builds like a freight train heading down the tracks. Descriptive to the point you feel it down to your bones!
Thanks to the publisher for this early copy for review:)
Dennis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dennis by: Chelsea Humphrey
The Chill is a well written, spooky, town mystery novel. I really enjoyed the author's writing style and the dynamics behind each of the characters. My only issue is that this book is seriously too long, and at points I felt bored because of it's pacing. If you enjoy slower-paced atmospheric settings, this book would be more enjoyable. My attention span is too short for that. I do think folks that enjoy Stephen King will be able to appreciate this book more than me.
Susan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Water Works

I’ve had this on my ‘To Read’ list for months so I was elated upon notification that I’d won a copy. Yay!

I missed the description blurb stating this had a supernatural element which isn't my go-to genre. Had I been paying attention, I sill would have purchased it based on the eerie premise. It caught my attention instantly.

The star of this show is the water. It’s everywhere. A lake backed up by an aging dam, drenching non-stop rain, and misplaced running water-imagined or real? Drip…
OutlawPoet
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had to think a bit before writing this review.

I liked the book. I found the author’s world so incredibly vivid and his characters so wonderfully compelling that there were times I didn’t want to stop reading.

But…there were times I did.

The author gives us so much information about dams and water and, while it’s all fascinating, it also tends to take a rather informational tone – almost a lecture – and you lose the story once in a while. In fact, I put it down for a full five days and read
Jeri
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
This book kept me up way too late most nights until my eyes just had to shut me down for the night. If you love supernatural haunting stories you'll love this book. Especially with spring rains and flooding soon, this story will make you think twice. The story is fast paced but builds character and tension perfectly to lead up to the haunting end.

I was given an eARC by the publisher through NetGalley.
amanda
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5

I am all for tales of ancient evil. Sacrifices made to drowned gods, curses screeched at lesser demons.

I’ve heard my share of flooded towns. Man made lakes built OVER towns as reservoirs of water. Buildings, communities, people becoming watery graveyards. Haunts.

The most infamous one I know of is Lake Lanier that makes news every single time because of its infamy. Nobody comes out of its waters alive, it’s foolish to even deep a toe in it.

I have to say that this was quite disappointing. The
Julia
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Get ready to swim upstream, and dive into one spine tingling supernatural thriller that will keep you turning page after page.

In the fall of 1940, Torrance Counties oldest village, Galesburg was evacuated and flooded in order to build a reservoir; which was supposed to supply NYC with water. That no connecting tunnel was ever finished, both angered and enraged the former townsfolk. Up until now, the Chilewaukee Reservoir, or "the Chill" has had no use, other than flooding an entire village with
 Reading Divergence
THE CHILL (written under a nom de plume) is one extraordinary novel: Supernatural thriller, family dysfunction, average small-town in contrast with highly dysfunctional cultish village. No need for suspension of Disbelief: I leaped immediately into the story on Page 1, and I devoured every bit of it without a pause. The story is so "real" I seemed to be living it, not reading it.

The "Chill" is an Upstate New York dam and reservoir, initially intended to provide water supply to New York City, but
 Martin
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it immensely. Such a creepy read, I'm telling you. Characterization, plot, narrative: very rich. About the plot, it's all about mistakes from the past and retribution, supernatural style. Nothing we have not seen before but done with tremendous talent and style. We are dealing with some flawed people in this but Carson, always the keen writer (he is best-selling author Michael Koryta after all), tags on to his narrative a likability from the least likable character, and that's never a ...more
Marc V.
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Shining meets The Sixth Sense, but uniquely different. As a child, I remember visiting my Aunt & Uncle, who lived up in the Catskills, their basement, which was filled with the frightening drawings by the artist William Gropper and the art terrified me. That same terrifying feeling of gazing upon those illustrations of American folklore came back to me while reading Scot Carson’s book, The Chill; the story which combines upstate New York folklore with a present-day disaster which ...more
NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
There is something lurking in the dark waters of the Chilewaukee reservoir better known by the locals as The Chill…something that demands payment in the form of a sacrifice…something that is rising to collect on past dues…

To be honest, the only reason I requested a copy of this book was Stephen King had pimped it out on his social media. I’m sure there is an audience for this book, but I’m sad to say, as much as I love a good supernatural story, this one fell a little flat for me. While there
Angie
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review can be found here: https://www.criminalelement.com/book-...
Becky Spratford
Review in Library Journal January 2020 issue: https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detai...
David
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chill by Scott Carson (pseudonym for Michael Koryta) is an interesting story. It has elements of small town folk lore, supernatural, dysfunctional family dynamics, and characters looking for redemption. It also has water. Lots and lots of water.

The water may be the main character of the story. A few generations before current day, eminent domain was declared for the town of Galesburg, NY, a small town in the Catskill mountains, in order to build a dam creating a reservoir to supply water to
Fred Rayworth
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chill is the first novel I’ve read by the writer known as Scott Carson. While it’s a pseudonym, I may have read others by him under a different (or his real) name but don’t recognize the writing style.

I was a bit wary of the story at first, given that it received a bunch of endorsements by well known thriller and horror writers. At least none of them was Stephen King, though the work was compared to him, which was almost a red flag. Then again, the story turned out to be a pretty decent icky
E Tanner
Water is important for all civilizations to survive. What would happen to people who live and/or work in a large city, if something major happens to their source of water?

The Chill is written by Scott Carson (a pen name), and he developed a fast paced novel to prevent a disastrous event, in a race against time. Little does some of the characters know, is that this plan has been in the making for a century!

Carson’s presentation and detail of the main characters was strong and brought them
Victoria
This is my first experience with this author (who also writes under the name Michael Koryta, and I actually have two of his older books in my TBR). I wasn't exactly sure what to expect here though - and it's an intriguing book from the start. Set both in upstate New York and the city, this book has a pretty large cast of characters, but they are well-developed enough that I don't think that anyone will have a hard time keeping them straight.

This book definitely has a cinematic flair to it -
Aimee
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A supernatural thriller blurbed by Stephen King? I knew I had to get my hands on this one. And oh man...this gave me probably the STRONGEST book hangover i've had in months. I ended up finishing it sooner than I anticipated because once I passed a certain point in the plot, I couldn't stop reading.

This book grabbed my attention right from the start. Focused on the Chilewaukee Reservoir (or "the Chill" as the locals call it), the novel revolves around an interesting cast of characters, including
Kate
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a tough time deciding between 3 and 4 stars for this one. What pushed me over to 3 stars was the fact that I had to stop reading with only about 30 pages to go in order to get dinner going, and didn't fall over myself to get back to it. That was my feeling pretty much the whole way through - I liked the characters and the story was pretty good, but it lacked any intensity until the last quarter and by then, I could take it or leave it.

This thriller is about an as yet untapped reservoir for
Antigone Walsh
An ancient evil fueled by simmering anger and hatred threatens a city. this book begs the question at what cost, the greater good. For the people of NYC getting plenty of fresh clean water was a priority. to do so a complex system of dams and tunnels were constructed. The cost? a displaced populace and towns, homes, businesses and farms that survived for generations destroyed by the courts at the behest of an unfeeling, unthinking authority. Though towns may have disappeared and people died, the ...more
Addie BookCrazyBlogger
The Chill represents itself as a paranormal novel focusing on a supply reservoir in Torrance County, upstate New York, that is the direct result of the government claiming eminent domain and flooding out the small village of Galesburg. The novel itself is in current time, following the last descendent of the Mathers family, Gillian, who was part of the townspeople who cursed those left behind for drowning their town. It also follows the perspectives of several other descendants including Gillian ...more
Kris Ruggiero
The Chill is a book I wanted to read because I've been on the lookout for a quality supernatural thriller. Being a huge fan of Stephen King, I was excited when I read that he recommended this book on his Twitter feed. The Chill by Scott Carson (a pseudonym for the author, Michael Koryta) was not horrific, but it was a creepy, dark psychological thriller/ghost story with multiple well-drawn characters and tons of history and backstory. The Chill grabbed me from the start and I couldn't stop ...more
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
The Chill drew me in right from the first page and picked up suspense quickly! I was expecting more of a nature horror element instead of a supernatural style horror however I still enjoyed the story.
The characters relationships felt real and I enjoyed the way they got to grow. The town in the Catskills that hosts The Chill (AKA the big water reservoir+ dam) was described wonderfully and seemed completely real to me. Reading this I felt like I have been transported --like I have gone there.
Evelyn
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
There’s a dark secret lying in wait deep in the cold waters of the Chilewaukee reservoir. Early in the 20th century, a small town in upstate New York was evacuated and destroyed when the river was damed to create a reservoir for the rapidly expanding population of NYC. At least that’s what politicians said. But in reality it was a reservoir in reserve—never actually used. Now, more than a hundred years later the dam is in disrepair and the rain isn’t stopping. The townspeople vowed revenge. Will ...more
Deborah
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a complimentary copy of THE CHILL by Scott Carson. Thank you to Atria/Emily Bestler Books for the chance to read for an honest review! The premise of this one had me intrigued and when I saw it had been blurbed by Stephen King, I was even more excited to get a copy!

THE CHILL focuses on the Chilewaukee reservoir and dam, the construction of which was deemed necessary to provide water to those living downstate. This forced families who were long term residents of Galesburg to relocate
Shelby
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago, the town of Galesburg, New York was flooded to make room for the Chilewaukee dam - “The Chill”. Today, the town and the citizens who refused to leave lie frozen in time just below the water’s surface... but not for long.

I loved every single page of “The Chill”. Its slow-burning plot was atmospheric, intriguing, and highly inventive. Although it’s a bit of a longer read, it wasn’t unnecessarily so - the history and build up felt necessary to understanding the story of Galesburg.
AButifulNightmar (It’sNERdySanchez)
First off, the synopsis had me dying to read this bookand I was hooked within the first 20%. Who knew a dam, reservoir and a water tunnel could be so interesting.

Once you start to meet a few of the characters, the story really starts to come together with some eerie twists. When the first big occurrence happened, I didn't want to put the book down.

Things just get more weird in between all the goings on of the New Your underground water tunnels.

Mistakes were made, and the past must be righted.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Red Lotus
  • The Only Good Indians
  • American Dirt
  • Gate Crashers
Scott Carson is the pen name for a New York Times bestselling author and screenwriter. He lives in New England—just above a dam.