Start by marking “Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)” as Want to Read:
Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)

Uncrowned

(Cradle #7)

Emriss Silentborn, Memory of the World.
Tiberian Arelius, the fallen Patriarch.
Akura Malice, Queen of Shadows.
Seshethkunaaz, King of Dragons.
Reigan Shen, Emperor of Lions.
Luminous Queen Sha Miara.
The Eight-Man Empire.
Northstrider.

The Monarchs, the most powerful sacred artists on Cradle, rule with unquestioned authority. They are mysterious and distant, and catching
Published September 26th 2019 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Uncrowned, please sign up.
Jonathan Godwin Andrew Rowe's series Arcane Ascension is a similar progression fantasy. If you check out reddit.com/r/progressionfantasy there you'll find a full list…moreAndrew Rowe's series Arcane Ascension is a similar progression fantasy. If you check out reddit.com/r/progressionfantasy there you'll find a full list of books that the community there has deemed similar and worth reading! (less)

Start your review of Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
Petrik
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Progression fantasy & Shonen anime fans
4.5/5 stars

Uncrowned is filled with emotional weight, and it showcases my favorite duels in the series so far.

I have finally caught up with all the available books in the Cradle series by Will Wight. Ever since Blackflame, the third installment of the series, every book in the series has consistently received a high rating of 4.5/5 stars from me, and I’m happy to say that Uncrowned, the seventh book in the series, continues this incredibly positive trend. Frankly, if it weren’t due to the abrupt
Calista
3rd Reading:
There is something flat about this book compared to the most of the rest of the series. This would be in my bottom 3 books. I would rate things as Skysworn as worst, Unsouled as the next book at the bottom and this would be 3rd from the botton in my opinion. It still really bugs me that the tournament was broken up and not one book and I don't feel that worked well.

There are many interesting happenings in this book, but overall, it's simply flat. I didn't like the way it started. I'
Andrew
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Best Battles Yet

I was fortunate enough to be a beta reader for this book, and I consider it to be the strongest book in the series to date.

There’s a lot to love in Uncrowned. I’m a big fan of tournament arcs in general, and this one draws from clear inspiration from classics like the Chunin Exams in Naruto, the Hunter Exams in Hunter x Hunter, etc.
Pacing wise, the beginning of the story is a little bit slower, giving us some time to focus on training and character exploration. Once we hit th
Jake Hartley
Sep 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unfinished- ONLY buy this book if you are a previous fan

Honestly I’m a huge fan of Will Wight and I was anticipating this book since underlord was released. But boy does it disappoint. The fight scenes are average. The story is completely unfinished. Cliff hangers don’t belong in a book that’s only 200 pages. At the very least with such a short read I would want the book called “uncrowned” to have a winner if the uncrowned tournament. But no it took a whole book to get no where. Don’t get this
Hamad
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷 Support me

“The heavens care nothing for our plans,” she said. “When they grant their gifts, we can only try to use them to our advantage.”

Unsouled ★★★ 3/4
Soulsmith ★★★ 1/2
Blackflame ★★★★
Skysworn ★★★★ 1/4
Ghostwater ★★★★
Underlord ★★★★ 1/4
Uncrowned ★★★★ 1/2

The Cradle series is definitely getting better and I am enjoying it more I read of it! As soon as I saw the synopsis of Uncrowned, I knew I was going to enjoy it! I just like tournaments a
Rebecka
Sep 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit it. The reason I didn't like this book might be because my expectations were too high. I have really enjoyed the series so far. This isn't a horrible book, but I rate after my enjoyment and I didn't like it so I will only give it one star. I finished the book feeling "Was that it? What about all that other stuff? Don't we at least get some partial resolution?". I was pretty annoyed and disappointed. The first part was boring, the tournament wasn't my thing and the ending disappointing. T ...more
TS Chan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
4.5 stars.

The Cradle series has been relentlessly fun and tremendously addictive, and Uncrowned might be its best yet if not for the rather abrupt ending.

When I first read Uncrowned, I was a bit taken aback by the said ending which affected my overall opinion of the book. As such, even though I was thoroughly enjoying myself for pretty much the entire book, it ended on an oddly unfinished note that left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. With this reread and knowing what to expect, I was able to appr
Terence
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every few years the Monarch's gather their strongest young underlords and have them battle in the Uncrowned King Tournament. These fights aren't simply a matter of pride, they determine what happens in each of the Monarch's lands going forward.

Uncrowned was a good book overall, but until the very end it didn't present the same weight to it as the prior books. The importance of the tournament is certainly mentioned, but it's hard to have a true understanding when the full balance of power hasn't
Deborah Obida
Mar 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Uncrowned is the seventh book in The Cradle series, it began just where Underlord ended with Lindon on the Akura team and Yerin on the Blackflame team.

Just like the previous books in the series, the author introduces more characters and more of the world and Abiden, I know more about the Abidan and their purpose now but I still need more information.

This book is a part of a dual, because the book ended before the tournament ended so I’m guessing the next book will have the ending and conclusion
Kathleen
This was a weak book, IMHO. Too much going on. But hey! 🎯I found a map today, at the Abidan Archives Wiki for Fandom. https://abidan-archives.fandom.com/wi...

Fantasy series. 3rd person POV -- the only way to get fictional, for me! Author plans to write a dozen books in Cradle series. That's the top of my limit for series length. I prefer fewer than 10 books, actually.

My favorite scenes in this book involved brave Little Blue and the maddened Black Flame Dragon. And Uncle Fury. I didn't care for
Joshua Lax
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

Very little actually happens. He trains for the tournament with the Akura clan. They are mean he beats them gains respect. They go to the tournament on the way bad things almost happen but not really because you know they will pull through. Yerrin almost goes through some character development with a Sage who is connected to her master but pushes it aside. Tournament starts they do well. Strong people do strong stuff. Lindon trains for ultimate fight a twist happens has epic fight.
Colin
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not what I've come to expect.

This book really hurt my feelings, because I love Will's novels. His engagement with his readers should be applauded, and emulated by more writers.

However.

Cliffhanger endings are an unbelievably cheap ploy. If I'd known the author would resort to this, I don't know that I would have begun this series in the first place. He did it partially in the last book, but this one was over the top.

I'm not giving this book a single star because it's a one star book. I'
Robert Thompson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
In all truth, this would have gotten 5 stars easily but I cannot give it. I can't say that it sputtered, as the final chapters were emotional, my heart sunk, then rose, only to sink again and then explode.

The penultimate chapter may or may not be negated by the final chapter, only time or Wintersteel will tell. It ends with 3 massive cliff hangers, the cheapest of tricks. Will Wight is better than this.

This is the first Cradle book where I feel a little cheated. Usually there is some conclusion
Dickson Tan
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of mixed feelings.

Most of the book was amazing, with revelations about stages past underlord, and confirming many fan theories and speculations. I loved the amazing battles and continued character development.

However, there was a huge plot twist at the end of the book that made the ending feel rushed. Uncrowned feels like the first half of 2 books because it covers the Uncrowned tournament till the last elimination round, instead of to the tournament's proper conclusion. The earlier books
Dexcell
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This series is just amazing. I don't have much else to say. I love everything about it. The battle between Lindon and Yerin was fantastic.

Reread: Lots of good stuff. I really liked the Abidan plotline better this time around, and I know it's gonna play a big role in book 10.
Booked and Busy
May 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The level ups and the action were great, but it was a little bogged down by info dumps. FULL RTC
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reread in preparation for Wintersteel, and to quote Akura Fury: “These kids are amazing, aren't they? I can't wait!”

Another absolutely brilliant installment from Will Wight that is fun distilled into book form. If you have not yet tried this series, what are you waiting for? All 7 ebooks are currently free on Amazon for three days!

Here's a link to the series on amazon - Amazon

description
Francisco Godoy
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story disappointing ending

A step forward in the storyline but I’m left with the feeling of not wanting to read the next book
Joe
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad but not great either.

Uncrowned felt like half a book.

Slight spoilers:

Lindon's training could have been way more detailed. We don't get to see him developing his techniques at all really.

There's several times when more time spent on scenes instead of time skipping would have been nice, for example, in the tournament when's he's rewarded with his choice of weapon we don't even get to see him in the weapon hall making his choice.

Then it ends in the middle of the tournament with some deus e
kartik narayanan
Uncrowned is a return to form for the Cradle series after the pause with Ghostwater. Where Ghostwater did a lot of setting up for the latter half of the series, Uncrowned starts (I think) the next phase.

It is fun, exciting and ends on a cliff-hanger. From a plot or character arc perspective, there are incremental developments - I would say as much as the kind of progression we saw in the earlier books.

Cradle fans will not be disappointed with Uncrowned. Go for it.

David S Meanderings)
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4/13/22 3rd Reread. One of, if not the best fight of the entire series at the end of this book. Very very good.

9/9/21 2nd Reread. The abrupt, cliffhanger ending doesn't bother me at all anymore. Probably cause I can go straight into Wintersteel haha.

4.5 stars. I enjoyed this one even more on a reread! The battle scenes were epic and emotional. The world expanded and new characters were introduced. The threat to the world as a whole intensified. I cant wait for October 6th!!!!!

I just have one que
Franzi
3 Stars

This was over way too fast. Still a good continuation to the story, even though I feel like we haven't really gotten any further. Also I just can't stand cliffhanger endings...
Marcus
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Failure to launch (minor spoilers)

One of the things that had me excited about Uncrowned was that the MC (Lindon) was finally going to leave his cultivation "home"/parents and become his own man (adult self). We did not get this. Instead we got a continuation of the underdog (child). Adult children are not attractive.

The perfect illustration of this is when the MC "moves out", he literally hides in a relative's basement and plays computer games. Oh, and lets himself get bullied daily. He could ha
J
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two main problems:
-No cultivation. We don't really see anyone training, or at least not training they struggle with. Cultivation, both physical and otherwise is the core of the story.
-Bad rising action. It's hard to feel any tension when we keep being told how no one is at any serious risk. Emotional development between Yerin and Lindon helps, but it's too infrequent to carry the story on it's own.
Haïfa
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
Cheers and celebration!

My favorite of the series so far. Each book gains in quality, consistence, depth and fun!

Special mention to Travis Baldree whose outstanding narration makes the books even more enjoyable, if possible.
Andrew Rockwell
Jul 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars---
Christine Sandquist
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Looking for book summaries of all the books in the Cradle series? Look no further. My review is below, but you can find a summary of each of the Cradle books to date on my website, Black Forest Basilisks!

Book review:

Cradle is so much fun, y’all. While Uncrowned is not perhaps my favorite novel in the series to date (this honor still goes to Underlord), I still had a dang good time with it. Will Wight is a machine who churns out about one novel per year, and I have yet to be disappointed. Uncrown
Luke Chmilenko
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect!

I've been a huge fan of Will's ever since I first started the series and this book hasn't changed anything! I am already super hyped up for the next book!! Can't wait to read it!!
Jim Robinson
Jan 21, 2022 rated it really liked it
4.5* another cracker in this awesome series

Not much to say on this one other than if you've got up to this point you know the Uncrowned tournament is beginning! Lindon, Mercy and Pride form up in team Akura and Yerin joins Eithan and Naru Saeya in team Blackflame.

Without spoiling much this is full of battles! (obviously!) We begin in round 1 and we whittle down the contestants each round over the next few rounds til we get to the final 8.

In the meantime shizz is getting real up in the universe w
CClown
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written as is the case of all his other Cradle books. However I strongly disliked that Linden seemed to continuously hesitate randomly at key moments throughout the book. I felt these sorts of things made sense as he was getting stronger and learning to cope with life and death situations, but I felt we were moving past this in books 5 and 6. I also strongly disagreed with the choices made for the end of the book, and found the ending to be incredibly unsatisfying. One of the weakest showin ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Uncrowned (Cradle #7) 47 17 20 hours, 48 min ago

• Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • Mother of Learning: ARC 1
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • Dark Wizard's Case
  • The Dao of Magic #4 (The Dao of Magic #4)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 2 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #2)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters (He Who Fights with Monsters, #1)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 4 (He Who Fights with Monsters #4)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 5 (He Who Fights with Monsters #5)
  • On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension, #2)
  • The Elements Bond (Elemental Academy, #7)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 3 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #3)
  • Earth Force 2 (Relict Legacy, #2)
See top shelves…

Cradle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)