Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sisters

Sisters

From a Booker Prize finalist and international literary star: a blazing portrait of one darkly riveting sibling relationship, from the inside out.

"One of her generation's most intriguing authors" (Entertainment Weekly), Daisy Johnson is the youngest writer to have been short-listed for the Man Booker Prize. Now she returns with Sisters, a haunting story about two sisters
Expected publication: August 25th 2020 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

Start your review of Sisters
Michelle
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book is EVERYTHING!!! And it couldn't be more fitting for this slim mind fuck of a novel.

July and September are sisters and best of friends. They don't need or require anything from anyone else but each other. The book begins with them moving to an isolated house with their depressed single mother after something sinister transpired between the girls back in their hometown.

"This the year something else is the terror."

I can say no more plot wise.

This book cast its spell on
Ceecee
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This excellent novel is the story of sisters September and July and their mother Sheela. The girls are so entwined it’s hard to know where one starts and the other ends. Following an incident in Oxford they go to Settle House near the coast of the North York Moors and what happens there is emotional, powerful and full of intriguing questions. The story is principally told by the two sisters.

This story is beautifully written and full of atmosphere provided mostly by the house. To Sheela the
Meike
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk, 2020-read
As she has already proven with Everything Under, Daisy Johnson is simply a master when it comes to evoking an enchanting, haunting atmosphere and subtly portraying complicated family relationships. In her sophomore novel which can be read as a family tale, but also as a gothic, if not even a ghost story, the focus is on an almost symbiotic pair of sisters and on another major theme which only becomes clear after a major twist - you think you see it coming, but then it turns out to be not quite ...more
Gumble's Yard
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
She had always known that houses are bodies and that her body is a house in more ways than most. She had housed those beautiful daughters, hadn’t she, and she had housed depression all through her life like a smaller, weightier child, and she housed excitement and love and despair and in the Settle House she houses an unsettling worry that she finds difficult to shake, an exhaustion that smothers the days out of her.

I loved Daisy Johnson’s debut novel “Everything Under” (which lead to her
Fatma
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases, novels
omg this book cover ?!?!?!? book cover design is cancelled. we have simply peaked with this book cover
Tom Mooney
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The blurb on the proof of this book compares it to Steven King and Shirley Jackson. What an insult. Neither of them are even fit to tie Daisy Johnson's shoelaces.

This is an incredible feat of literary suspense. Johnson has conjured a creepy, textured narrative in rich, earthy prose that sings like poetry.

I won't say much more - there are so many spoilers that would ruin what is a mesmerising reading experience. It's like an unholy combination of Max Porter and Chuck Palahniuk.

Creepy, painful
Roman Clodia
Oh dear, I'm fully expecting to be an outlier here: I didn't like Everything Under but was curious to give Johnson another try with this book: but nope, sorry, she just isn't a writer I can get along with.

I'm sure mine will be a minority opinion but for what it's worth I disliked the prose which often feels pretentious and sometimes plain meaningless: 'sleep is heavy, without corners', 'my insides are filled with bees', 'alarm grows in my bone marrow and swans up my throat'. It just grated
Neil
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, monthly-view
In Daisy Johnson’s Booker-listed debut novel (impressive start!), a river flowed through it and held things together. Here, in Sisters, it is a house that acts as a kind of focal point, at least location-wise.

September and July are sisters, born just 10 months apart. Their mother is raising them as a single parent after their father’s death and, when July experiences bullying at school, September decides to take matters into her own hands resulting in a tragedy that sees the family head off to
Chris Haak
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another brilliant novel by Daisy Johnson! I looked it up and saw she is only 29/30! So young and so talented... Her writing is beautiful, very rich; it affects all your senses. And -like in Everything Under- there's an interesting twist in the story again.
Thank you Riverhead and Edelweiss for the ARC
James Orton
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to sleep on this before a full review. There is SO much to process, it needs to do whatever it needs to do in my head before settling. As with ‘Everything Under’ and ‘Fen’, the story, the characters and themes will keep returning to you long after you’ve closed the book. Not that sleep will come easy after ‘Sisters’.
Another absolute tour de force from Daisy. It’s like doing a few literary rounds with the heaviest of heavyweights, this novel seriously just keeps punching and doesn’t hold
Sacha
Jan 26, 2020 added it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.
MisterHobgoblin
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Sisters is a difficult book to review because there is a massive potential spoiler that must be avoided; and without referencing it, the review is really not getting to the point. But being obliged to post a review in exchange for early access to the title, needs must.

July and September are sisters and the novel concerns a move from comfortable Oxford to the Settle House in an undisclosed northern location, probably somewhere near Whitby. Most of the novel is narrated by July, the slightly
Siobhan
Sisters is a disquieting novel about two sisters who've moved into an old house they used to visit when they were younger. July and September are sisters with a bond people don't understand. When something happens at school, their mother moves them across the country to a house on the Yorkshire moors. Free from rules and structure, the sisters can continue with their usual hobbies and traditions, but July feels something changing between them, and the house seems to have mysteries of its own.

Amanda
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, gothic
Psychological horror

Sisters September and July were born within ten months of each other. They are closer than close. After an incident at school in Oxford, their mother takes them to live in the abandoned family home on the coast. Approaching adulthood, July feels something shift in the bond with her sister.

An intense and unsettling study of sibling dynamics, with themes of depression, bereavement and bullying.

Johnson masterfully builds the sinister atmosphere. In her hands, the coastal home
Jill Westerman
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
July and her sister September move with their mother Sheela from Oxford to a crumbling house in Whitby which was the birthplace of their Danish father, who died some time before. The reader is drawn into July’s world: she is enjoined in an almost symbiotic relationship with her sister and feels the house as a living entity, breathing and groaning around them. Their mother retreats to bed, food appears and things are cleaned sporadically, July imagines her mother emerges to do these at night when ...more
Jenny
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A short novel that tackles a lot. Johnson’s writing can be polarizing and I suspect readers will either love this one or hate it. Johnson retreads some familiar ground if you’ve read Everything Under, but for me, this is the more successful, more accessible of the two books. She really builds a sense of tension and a sense of place. Without going into any spoilers all I can say is that the execution is good.
I would not be shocked to see this one get longlisted for a few prizes. More in-depth
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This tiny, punchy, head-messy book about sisters and growing up and trauma is stunning. I read it in the bath in one go and it was a wild ride. I love Johnson's writing, there's something magical and deeply freaky about it and I would read anything she would like to write. This one reminds me of her short story collection which is one of the best things I've ever read. I give it all the stars out of however many stars there are.
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
Alexandra Pearson
I finished reading this book in a frenzy as my lunch break was running out and I knew I couldn't go back to work until it was done. Breathtaking.
Penny Cook
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was too confusing. Kept jumping around and was hard to follow. I had so many unanswered questions at the end.
Cristie Underwood
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book cover is amazing and the actual book is delightful to read! The author did an amazing job of creating a book centered on family dysfunction. My only complaint is that this is a short read. I cannot wait to read more from this author!!
Penny (Literary Hoarders)

• My Dark Vanessa
  • Death in Her Hands
  • Weather
  • Tennis Lessons
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Strange Hotel
  • La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • You People
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • Big Girl, Small Town
  • Braised Pork
Shortisted for the Man Booker Prize for Everything Under, her debut novel.

Daisy Johnson's début short story collection, Fen, was published by Jonathan Cape on the 2nd of June, 2016 and by Graywolf in 2017.

She has been longlisted for the Sunday Times Short Story Award and the New Angle Award for East Anglian writing. She was the winner of the Edge Hill award for a collection of short stories and