Start by marking “Just One Sip (Dark Ones, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Just One Sip (Dark Ones, #4.5)

Just One Sip

(Dark Ones #4.5 - Bring Out Your Dead)

From a Moravian Dark One who must take on zombies and an angst-ridden teenage vampire to win the love of his soul mate, to a sunbathing vampire who finds the woman of his dreams in Vegas, this hilarious collection of paranormal romances celebrates the lives and loves of the immortal undead.

Contains "Viva Las Vampires" by Jennifer Ashley, "Bring Out Your Dead" by Katie MacA
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about Just One Sip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just One Sip

Start your review of Just One Sip (Dark Ones, #4.5)
Carien
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
I bought this book for the Katie Macalister story "Bring Out Your Dead" and that story is fun like all her Dark One stories and has a very cool zombie named William. I do think it's not a very good standalone novella though. You need to have read at least book two and three of her Dark Ones series to grasp all of this story.

Take note: "Bring Out Your Dead" has also been printed in another anthology called "My Zombie Valentine".

On to the other two stories:

"Viva Las Vampires" is quite an entertai
Story 1: Viva Las Vampires by Jennifer Ashley
Merideth Black heads to Las Vegas to research her next book on Vampires and stays at Transylvania Castle Hotel - a hotel themed around Vampires and things that go bump (or is it Boom Boom Boom?) in the night. She is hoping to get an interview with the elusive hotel owner Stefan Erickson for her book - a request that has been denied about 20 times before she came to the hotel. Lucky for her Stefan spots her on a security camera when she walks in and is
FlibBityFLooB
This was definitely a mixed bag...

1st story was by an author I have never read before (Jennifer Ashley) and was about an author visiting a vampire hotel in Vegas. I enjoyed the story and may go on to read other stories by the author.

The 2nd story was by one of my favorite authors, Katie MacAlister. I speak french fairly fluently, but I imagine that one of the characters in this story would become very annoying to a reader who didn't have any knowledge of french. Every sentence out of her mouth i
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Katie MacAlister and her humour. Reading her books I feel like I'm watching the Gilmore girls with the wit and effortless conversation of the characters. I enjoyed the other sorry stories in this collection as well, and will checkout Jennifer Ashley in the future.
Jenny
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Registered on Bookcrossing - https://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/... ...more
Margaret
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
From Publishers Weekly

Quirky visions of vampire love animate this collection of three original novellas by paranormal romance authors MacAlister (author of the popular Dark Ones series), Ashley (Penelope and Prince Charming) and Webber (The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein). In Ashley's contribution, "Viva Las Vampires," journalist Meredith Black pursues an interview with sexy Vegas hotelier Stefan Erickson, owner of Transylvania Castle hotel. Little does she know he's a real vampire, with d

Jenifer
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was okay, but really I can only say that because of one story in it.

The first story, Viva Las Vampires, by Jennifer Ashley has some interesting points to it. Vampire Master has to find the one to fall in love with him or he will die. Also there are two kinds of vamps - one hot, one cold. The warm vamps are more human and can go out in the sun and are warm. They are willing to become vampires and are turned while still alive. The others are like the typical vampires were all know with n
Sarah Hook
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
The reviews on this book aren't very good, but I went out and got the book anyway because I am reading the Dark Ones Series by Katie MacAlister and this is #4.5 in the series. I was hoping people were just being hard on the book, but sadly they were not.

This book contains three novellas. I am not a fan of books like this as I find the stories tend to be detailed up until the most important part, the ending. Then they ALWAYS seem to feel rushed. This still stood true for this book of novellas.

Th
Ruth Violet
the 1st story was: Viva las vampires-Jennifer Ashley. it was an excellent Vampire/romance story. From the very first page i was enthralled. all of the characters were all very well written. Meredith and stephan what a couple. i think i have read her stories before. But WOW definitely loved this one. she described 2 different breeds of vampires; the living dead and the dead vampires. and how they were different. very good story.
The 2nd story: bring out your dead-Katie Macalister. i really love al
Sapphyria
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a 3 story novella by different authors:

"Viva Las Vampires" by Jennifer Ashely
Synopsis: A sunbathing vamp in Vegas? No way! Meredith Black is absolutely positive the tanned god with the gorgeous smile couldn't haven't possibly made her his for eternity with just one glance. But he'll sure have fun proving it.

Pretty entertaining and easy read.

"Bring Out Your Dead" by Katie MacAlister

Synopsis: Battling a demon lord is all in a day's work for the Dark One Sebastian. But now he must take on a
Janet Blowers
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, romance
This is a collection of three short stories about vampires. The reason I picked this book up was for the Katie MacAlister "bring out your dead" short story, but it turns out that is #5 in the Dark Ones series so I will only be reading the other two stories for now.

10/26/09 "Viva Las Vampires" by Jennifer Ashley - This was really good. It wonder if she has spun off books on any of the other vampires in this story. They were all such amazingly interesting characters. You really liked the good one
Linda
I enjoyed two of the short stories in this collection.

The 1st story in this book is Viva Las Vampires by Jennifer Ashley. Stephan is a vampire master who is declining and needs to find his life mate. Meredith's research for her 2nd non-fiction book on vampires has brought her to Stephan's hotel in Las Vegas, Transylvania Castle. We discover that there are two types of vamps; those who are turned while alive and those who are turned once they are dead. This was a cute story... I'd not hesitate t
Buttons
Dark Ones 4.5: Bring Out Your Dead
Ysabelle works part-time for the Society for the Protection of Revenants (also known as zombies), tutors English and history and acts as a medium for persons wishing to contact the deceased. She lives together with her spirit guide Sally and the guardian Noelle. But what really makes her unique are her two souls, which present a problem. Because of special cirumstances quite a lot of demons are around and her two souls are very attractive to them, making her a t
Raina
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Three short stories that prove all it takes is Just One Sip to fall in love with a vampire.

I originally picked up this book because it featured a story by by Katie MacAlister and her "Dark Ones" called Bring Out Your Dead. I'm not a zombie fan,but I still enjoyed it, but I've most of the "Dark Ones" series, truth be told. This is Ysabelle and Sebastian's story - zany and fun! Worthwhile read - but I would recommend reading the "Dark One" series in order as knowing back story makes it more fun. T
Carolyn F.
Could not finish - well, the 2 and 3 really.

1. Viva Las Vampires by Jennifer Ashley. Boring, boring, boring. I don't know if it's because I'm over vampire stories or because the story wasn't good. 2 stars

2. Bring Out Your Dead by Katie MacAlister. I forgot about this series until there were supposedly two Beloved. That's the reason I stopped reading the series because the guys were thinking that any hot girl that walked by was a Beloved and then would go, "Oops, sorry, that hot blonde over there
Liza
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I think that these stories were written to be shorter than they are.

I only enjoyed the first story, Viva Las Vampires. It was the story of a vampire on the verge of "dying" and needed to find himself a blood slave to stay a warm blooded, living vampire. Nice love story, sexy even.

The other two...not so much. All three stories center around vampires but I kept forgetting that the Dark One was a vampire (Bring Out Your Dead). It spent a lot of time talking about zombies (reverants), I thought the
Wendy
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I have already read Katie MacAlister's "Bring Out Your Dead" in another anthology. While I have not read any of her other Dark Ones books I did find the story enjoyable and look forward to seeing some of the characters again.

Jennifer Ashley's "Viva Las Vampires" was probably my favorite read, although I think that it went a little heavy on the 'master' aspect. Overall the story was interesting and I feel like it could become a full novel with all of the different characters.
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Amanda
May 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: macalister-katie
Bring Out The Dead:

It hurts my heart to say this but I hated this story! I felt it rushed and kind of annoying. I love Katie but was very disappointed because I was expecting this one to be better or really I as just hoping. I hated reading anything about the stupid Zombies, which I feel was a complete waste of page because the story was so short to begin with. I mean yes I am glad that Sebastian got his Beloved, and I found a few things that I smiled at but only just. I don’t recommend this one
Georgiann Hennelly
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book of pure paranormal fun you get three different stories. With a Twist is about a Vampire Hotel owner in Vegas? Meredith Black is a writer and she is writing a book about Vampires. On the Rocks The dark one named Sebastion must take on a horde of unhappy Zombies and an obnoxious know it all teen Vampire if Sebastion wants to win the hand of the one women who can make him whole. Straight up Lucy Campbell has made a career of interviewing Druid witches, trolls, and an occasional gobli ...more
Amanda
The first two stories in this anthology were okay.
I barely made it through the second one because the Franglias-speaking Spirit Guide was *extremely* annoying. And if I didn't know some French, it would have been even worse.
The third was better, but it still tried a little too hard to be funny. There were a few good lines in the third story, though.
"Campbell women didn't back away from danger... Campbell women embraced danger, they ran toward it. Of course, Campbell women often had short life s
Morgan
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire, 2010
My favorite was the first one, Viva Las Vampires by Jennifer Ashley. Bring Out Your Dead by Katie MacAlister was okay, but I'm not a zombie fan, still, I like spending time with her Dark Ones. As for the last one, well, nah, not my cup of tea. Ignoring the head hopping, which is hard to do, I just didn't connect with either the hero or heroine. I'm already a Katie fan, but I'll be looking for Jennifer Ashley too.
Rachel Graft
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This Book is part of the series - it has 3 books in one and the middle story is by the author Katie MacAlister. I want to keep reading all the books in order so that I do not miss any of the history of each character or new comer to the plot.

I have finished this book and it does fill in the blank with Sebastian and his Beloved on the Katie MacAlister Chapter. I did find two other authors that I will find out what other books they have writen (Jennifer Ashley & Minda Webber)
Stacie
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
3 short stories were nothing extraordinary and felt recycled. The first "Viva Las Vampires" was steamy and entertaining but felt rushed and lacking some points. It felt like a kernal to something that could be good.

"Bring Out Your Dead" I read three pages and skipped to the next story. It was sarcastically annoying and dumb.

"Lucy & the Crypt Casanova" lost my interest after the first chapter.

If you want a good read, this is not it.
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Viva Las Vampires - a vampire "50 Shades of Grey" without the bdsm and with more love and life saving. Vampire hotel? Check me in! Become the owner's blood slave? Yes, please! Fall in love? Easily.
Bring Out Your Dead - a rushed, destiny based romance set in a colorful and hilarious world of vampires, zombies, demons, and magic.
Lucy and the Crypt Casanova - second chances are hard to earn, just like respect, but this story is about getting both.
Kelly
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Jennifer Ashley's "Viva Las Vampires" was a lot of fun as was Minda Webber's "Lucy and the Crypt Casanova" though Lucy was a little (okay a lot) whiny for my tastes.
As much as I love Katie MacAlister books, "Bring Out Your Dead" was confusing. If you hadn't read any of her other Dark One books, I'm not sure you could even make much sense of it. Ick!
Megan
Mar 24, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: vampire-romance
Bring Out Your Dead by Katie MacAlister- #5 in the Dark Ones series (also published in My Zombie Valentine). 1 star. I have tried a two different Katie MacAlister books, and haven't been able to get through either. Her writing style just isn't for me. I'm glad other people enjoy her books, I just have a hard time with them... to me they don't come off as funny.
MJ
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Three short stories that prove all it takes is one sip to fall in love with a vampire.

I picked this book up because it had a short story featuring Katie MacAlister's Dark Ones in it. The stories by Jennifer Ashley and Minda Webber are just as good as MacAlister's story. If you love a good Vampire Romance then read this book.
Gab
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I only read Katie MacAlister's story "Bring Out Your Dead". I enjoyed it - but I've most of the Dark Ones series [though nothing beats Katie's dragon books]. This is Ysabelle and Sebastian's story - zany and fun. Worthwhile read - but I would recommend reading the Dark One series in order as knowing back story makes it more fun. :)
Lisa Lenox
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
Mixed bag indeed. Katie Mac is, as always, enjoyable.
One of the other stories was just fine. I would read another by this author in the future. The third was horrendous. It read like some fan fic written by a 14 year old. I don't understand the inclusion f this story at all. They would do well to give up writing and become, oh I don't know. Maybe a goat herd or something useful like that.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 2 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #2)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 3 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #3)
  • Dark Magic (Dark, #4)
  • A Modest Proposal
  • Jo's Boys
  • Little Men
  • The Penguin Complete Father Brown
  • Fashionably Dead Down Under (Hot Damned, #2)
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)
  • Reluctant Wife (Sisters, #1)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
  • The Scold's Bridle
  • Good Wives
  • The Magical Christmas Cat (Breeds, #12.5; Feline Breeds, #11; Murphy Sisters, #2; Psy-Changeling, #3.5)
For as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up in a family where a weekly visit to the library was a given, Katie spent much of her time with her nose buried in a book. Despite her love for novels, she didn't think of writing them until she was contracted to write a non-fiction book about software. Since her editor refused to allow her to include either witty dialo ...more

Dark Ones (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones #1)
  • Sex and the Single Vampire (Dark Ones #2)
  • Sex, Lies and Vampires (Dark Ones #3)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Dark Ones #4)
  • The Last of the Red-Hot Vampires (Dark Ones #5)
  • Zen and the Art of Vampires (Dark Ones #6)
  • Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang (Dark Ones #7)
  • In the Company of Vampires (Dark Ones #8)
  • Much Ado About Vampires (Dark Ones, #9)
  • A Tale of Two Vampires (Dark Ones, #10)

News & Interviews

“Okay, Lucy, what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked.
"Us."
"There is no us," Val reminded her firmly—although he had gotten misty just a moment before while holding her hand. She had given him both the best years of his
life and the worst.
"There used to be an us," she suggested, "which was a good us, a great us. Now there isn't an us, but that doesn't mean there can't be an us again. And a great us, not just a
good us, because without us, I do okay and sometimes not even okay."
Val's eyebrows wrinkled and he stared hard at her.
"That didn't come out quite like I imagined," Lucy said. Romantic it certainly wasn't.
"I meant to say, I'd like us to have a second chance.”
1 likes