Start by marking “Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel” as Want to Read:
Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel

Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel

AN APPALLING ACT OF VIOLENCE AND AN UNSOLVED DOUBLE MURDER.

SMALL-TOWN INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER, SHELBY DAY, IS DETERMINED TO HUNT A KILLER.

As her search draws closer to uncovering the twisted truth, she begins receiving ominous warnings to stay quiet and drop the story. The young journalist is in danger. Her cameraman and best friend, a person with his own secret past,
Published January 5th 2020 by Acorn Publishing, LLC

Start your review of Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel
alana ♡
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was frustrating AF. The MC was so unlikeable and annoying that I honestly should have DNF'ed but I stuck it out to see who the killer would be and just as I suspected....it was extremely underwhelming.

The writing was choppy, the characters were awful, the romance was atrocious, it was honestly just a mess.

I'm going to label this as a "possible" RTC.

Blog | Twitter
Yna the Mood Reader
There’s something about small town murder mysteries that pull me in. As a reader, it is really hard for me to resist grabbing the opportunity to read books like this – mainly because of all the guessing and the excitement that it comes with.

Lost Girltalks about the story of investigative journalistShelby Day, who left a comfortable rich girl life to prove herself and do what she loves to do. In this particular novel, she investigates a small town murder of two girls, who are actually very close
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

Shelby Day is an investigative TV reporter and when two young women are brutally killed one night in their home, she feels a connection to them and determines to hunt for the killer.

Jack, her cameraman and best friend, wants nothing but to protect her. But Shelby, the daughter of very wealthy parents, wants to go it alone. She needs to know she can be someone other than the pampered daughter most people see.

As she continues digging deep in her investigation, she begins getting
Jasmine
***Actual Rating: 3/5 Journalistic Stars***

Prior to reading Lost Girl, I admit that I seldom read books in the Mystery, Thriller, or Suspense genres. Not that I don't like giving these a shot, it's just the sound of those stories rarely piques my curiosity enough to motivate me to pick them up. Thus, I'd be lying if I said I was not surprised when the synopsis of Lost Girl intrigued me in a way I've never felt before. I mean, I was fairly interested in the mysterious case in Shelby's small
Ixxati
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and author for giving me this ARC!

I enjoyed reading this book and wow I couldn't figure out who killed those girls. It was a good plot. I don't like the main character, Shelby but at the same time I like how she wanted to prove that she can be a good reporter and moved back to LA to get a better job. I can see myself in her sometimes especially when she don't want to get involved in a serious relationship.
Shalini
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hard working journalist reported the murder of 2 girls in the neighborhood of a small town. Her investigation commenced when she felt a strange connection to them.

My first book my author Holly Kammier, and I was in awe of the main character. Shelby had a few mental health issues, and she was strong enough to rise about the issues and leave her rich family to find her passion. Her determination seeped into every word of the book. She was the driving force which kept me stuck to the story.

The
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 12%

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel made me stabby. You know the people in horror movies that repeatedly make bad decisions? The people you just know are going to die? That's Shelby. She makes bad decision after bad decision, and her reasonings were ridiculous. If someone leaves a threatening note on
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this one but Shelby was a selfish human being that I couldn't connect with - and I tried! I held out hope that she would grow from her mistakes, that she'd mature throughout the story but sadly nope. She kept putting her foot in it and instead of owning up to her crap decisions and hurtful actions, she turned around and played the blame game. I didn't like the way she treated other girls (especially since she seems super concerned with being slutshamed herself), I really ...more
Kelley
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when the story you are writing for work becomes your life?

Lost Girl by Holly Kammier is an amazing mystery that had me on the edge of my seat at every moment. Shelby the reporter and Jack the cameraman are super spunky and find stories at the first moment. Being a reporter was always Shelby's dream and she finally thinks this story is what's going to push her career over the edge. Jack will never admit his feelings or the fact that he wants to protect Shelby at every moment. Shelby
Alyssa
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, suspense, 2020
Shelby Day is an investigative reporter in a small town. On Halloween night, two young women are killed in their home. She gets the lead on the story and is determined to find the killer to help these women and their families get the justice that they deserve.

Shelby was the worst. I'm sorry, but she was. You know when you're watching one of those cheesy horror movies about a cabin in the woods and the character constantly does the opposite of what common sense dictates? Oh, there's a noise in
Aisha
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Big thanks to Netgalley for giving me this ARC in exchange of an honest review*

This book is a YA thriller that keeps you intrigued with each page you read. Also, you can guess who's the assassin. It has a great plot and the chronology of events is well developed.

That said, I found Shelby, the main character, a bit obtuse and inconsistent with her ideas and beliefs. Of course, her priorities towards a successful career as a high level journalist are strong and defines her personality, but on an
Olivia
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good, this was a book that kept me on my feet - i always wanted to know what came next! Thank you for providing me with an e-arc of this book to review!
Madison Tegen
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What's great about this book is the main character is like the rest of us-flawed. She's not your thriller, crime seeking, heroine. She makes mistakes, is easy to yell at, and be frustrated with. BUT, she reminds me of other 20 year olds' finding their way.
This is a great crime thriller that keeps you wondering "who done it" while still being a light, easy read with young romance.
Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelby Day is a rich girl who has decided to go against her family, move away, not take money from them and try to fulfill her dream of being an investigative reporter in a small town in Oregon. After two young women are brutally murdered Shelby delves into the case trying to figure out who did it and get the scoop. Hoping that this case will shoot her to the big leagues Shelby is relentless in her pursuit of the killer despite getting notes telling her to back off.

Fast paced this book keeps
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

A fabulous read and very well written.

Shelby was a spoilt little rich girl or so her mother said. She came from a dysfunctional family, but Shelby wanted to make it on her own. She moved away and got a job with a NBC 4 news and eventually got the promotion she wanted and her first case as an investigative reporter. Jack was her camera man.

She wanted to do the best she could so took many chances trying to solve her first case. More than once putting herself in danger.

Jack went
Reanna Byars
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
When two women are murdered in their sleep, Shelby Day, an ambitious investigative journalist, is determined to break the case. It’s not long after she starts covering the murders, that she starts to receive threatening notes at her house, warning her to back off. While taking all the risk, she’s also dealing with her feelings about her cameraman and best friend, Jack. Will Shelby be able to help the police catch the killer, or is she going to become their next victim?

I’m giving this a three
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours and Acorn Publishing for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay seriously what is it about me requesting books dealing with girls being killed or kidnapped or harmed in any way!? Clearly I need to see some girls be their own heroes in some way, and I guess it’s because I
D. James
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Action/Adventure, thriller, mystery and romance into one. Lost Girl is an epic tale centered around the smart, tough but sensitive investigative reporter Shelby Day.
Holly Kammier sets a fast pace and keeps you in the edge of your seat chapter after chapter.
Can't wait for Shelby's next adventure.
Meghan Wilson
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging from the first page. I love that the character's backstories emerge throughout the story. I read in a few hours in one sitting. I can't wait to see what lies ahead for Shelby Day.
Gary Seigel
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hardly ever read mysteries , but this was a wonderful escape novel, something to look forward to every night before I went to sleep. How was Shelby going to solve the murder of these two girls? A couple of things that were particularly fun and interesting --1. She's a TV reporter, so this whole world of small-town investigation was fascinating. 2. The protagonist is not entirely flawless. I recently read The Maltese Falcon, and that detective is hardly pure. He's the biggest womanizer around, ...more
stefiereads
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book pretty quick, and all in all enjoyed it.
This is a story about Shelby, a girl that is working as an investigative crime journalist and very determined to solve the case of two girls who was murdered. So, while the she is trying to break the case, the killer is getting closer to her than ever. And the story goes from there....

The main character, I kind of not liking her. She is very ambitious but sometimes selfish and just didn't realize that. She is also made some bad decisions
Giulia Colma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lost Girl, A Shelby Day Novel is a book about following your passions, kicking ass and letting yourself feel things deeply.

This book was different from all others I’ve read before because it featured a young reporter going after her dreams, despite being mentally ill. It’s so important to see positive representation of mentally ill women.

Shelby Day is a Jewish twentysomething suffering from PTSD who comes from a rich family but wants to make it on her own. That's why, she leaves LA and her
Nicole (FearYourEx)
3/5 stars
Thank you to the author for the review copy!

This story is fairly fast paced and a quick easy read. As far as thrillers go it was pretty standard, nothing too special, nothing bad. The author definitely throws you several possible suspects to keep you guessing. There's a good amount of suspense. It's a pretty short book and the chapters are nice and short.

Unfortunately I guessed the killer pretty early on, I've read so many thrillers and watched so many crime genres that I'm rarely
Tiffany E.
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback, indie, own
Ok, I loved this book!! It was a step out of the YA that I've been reading and right into a thriller!! Now my expectations for thrillers are high, I tend not to pick them up because they're predictable. Nothing more boring than knowing who did what at the half way point and having to read the characters struggle for the rest of the book. There was zero issue with that in Lost Girl! In fact I wasn't able to guess who did it at all! I was so far off and it was wonderful!

I wasn't a huge fan of the
Cloe
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc and l got to say get the book it's got danger mystery and witty it's also like Nancy Drew meets Veronica Mars in a way to best describe the book
Sherrill Joseph
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun, suspenseful, fact-paced read. It reminded me of Veronica Mars. I would recommend Lost Girl, A Shelby Day Novel to anyone who loves a great murder mystery.
Vaiomo
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to the publisher for giving me the arc of this book to read for an honest review!

This book had me thinking so many things. I absolutely loved it!!

The characters

The characters were well done, you had Shelby the main character who seemed very up her own ass in the beginning but eventually turned out to have more to her. She was very interesting to read about and I loved reading her thought process throughout the events. Her character development was amazing in my opinion.

There
Janell Madison
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Lost Girl~A Shelby Day Novel” by Holly Kammier

“Holly Kammier is an Author that does not disappoint! I’m excited to take a peek at her other books! When you start “Lost Girl,” you’ll be hooked!-Green Gables Book Reviews

If you like excitement, the prologue will take you there in “Lost Girl,” by Holly Kammier. When a book starts with the main character tied to a chair with blood dripping from her temple, you know the pages you read in the next several hours will be great!

Shelby is a news reporter,
Anjana
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read another book about a former investigative reporter just a few days before getting to this one. I usually do not compare books but considering both women have agendas for furthering their career, I had to draw one!

Shelby was not a nice person, whenever I started to feel for her character, she goes and does something completely random. Everything happened too fast for my liking and I did not have enough time to process my emotions in relation to those occurrences. All of this sounds like I
Eule
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

Shelby Day is trying to carve out a career in television news reporting when a double homicide happens in the small town she's living in. She is determined to solve this case and get a leg up in the food chain in order to maybe go back to L.A. and her parents.

Shelby Day is torn. On one hand, she wants to prove her worth and show the world that she is more than a spoiled brat, that she is able to take
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jane Anonymous
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Nameless Queen
  • I Choose You
  • The Devil's Own (Murphy's Law, #1)
  • Can You See Me?
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Cursed Key (The Cursed Key Trilogy, #1)
  • Haskell Himself
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • The Mercenary's Daughter
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • The God Game
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Wild Man (Smith Brothers, #2)
  • Mountain Man (Smith Brothers, #1)
  • Rogue Princess
Holly Kammier is the international best-selling author of Kingston Court, Choosing Hope, and Lost Girl.

Lost Girl and Choosing Hope are cross-over novels to Kingston Court, with overlapping characters and locations.

Co-Founder of Acorn Publishing, the UCLA honors graduate is an accomplished writing coach and a former journalist who has worked everywhere from CNN in Washington, D.C. and KCOP-TV in