Start by marking “You Have Arrived at Your Destination” as Want to Read:
You Have Arrived at Your Destination

You Have Arrived at Your Destination

(Forward)

Nature or nurture? Neither. Discover a bold new way to raise a child in this unsettling story of the near future by the New York Times bestselling author of A Gentleman in Moscow.

When Sam’s wife first tells him about Vitek, a twenty-first-century fertility lab, he sees it as the natural next step in trying to help their future child get a “leg up” in a competitive world.
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published September 17th 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about You Have Arrived at Your Destination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have Arrived at Your Destination

Start your review of You Have Arrived at Your Destination
Emily May
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This addition to the Forward collection was such an interesting idea. And it was one of the more compelling stories of the bunch, I think. It's essentially about genetic engineering, which is, of course, nothing new, but the way Towles tells this story was very exciting. And a little bit scary.

Sam and his wife want to have a child, but being wealthy modern parents, they also want to give said child the best chance possible. To have a good life. To be happy. To be successful. That's what leads
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another creepy, futuristic, nail biter, mind bender, brain cell fryer and mouth gaper book from the Forward series!

I think I’m about to hide under the curtains and act like a voicemail keep saying: “Sorry, the good reviewer you write comments cannot be reached at this moment. After this tone, please pray for her not to get more rejections from Netgalley and get extra credit from banks to buy more books online. Bippp!”

You may see that without starting my nighttime Chardonnay and book
Angela M
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m not really a big fan of sci-fi so I doubt whether I’ll read all five of the novella/short stories in Amazon’s Forward Series, but I could not pass this one by since I am a big fan of Amor Towles.The story seems to take place in the future, but yet it doesn’t feel very far off from the present. It eerily paints a picture of the future implications of genetic engineering, designer fertility clinics that offer more than your choice of sex and eye color of your baby. It was pretty scary mainly
Holly  B
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
3.5 STARS

Read in one sitting or rather.... road trip. It is less than 50 pages! I didn't want to start a new novel and I wasn't in the middle of another, so this was the perfect read for a day trip.

Totally entertained me and made my trip more enjoyable (hate sitting in the car just being a passenger!)

Part Sci-Fi , but also seemed like it could be something in the near future (SCARY) where parents choose what kind of child they want! Including gender and intelligence. What could possibly go
Paige
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amor Towles proves he is the master of words, yet again. In this science fiction novella, he explores nature vs. nurture. By using foundational information, biographical histories, predictive behavior patterns, and patterned growth development, Vitek promotes a new type of genetic engineering that the main character, Sam, is confronted with. But, given the choice to alleviate one of the more unsubstantial characteristics, what would be sacrificed and how would that effect the child’s future?

“We
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It asks more questions than it answers and ends on a somewhat unresolved note, but from a literary point of view I think this story is head and shoulders above the others I’ve read so far in this FORWARD collection of SF novellas (4 down, 2 to go). It’s about genetic engineering gone too far, but it’s also about relationships and self-knowledge.

Now excuse me while I go off and think about this some more. Full review to come.
Elyse  Walters
Designer Babies-R-Us.

Sam and Annie are debating on what type baby they want to have.
They enjoyed ‘Gin & Tonic’s’, while enjoying the process of picking out their unborn baby.
Cheers…Sam & Annie want a boy!
They picked out the name Daniel.

We look into the future at Daniels life and various ages.

This very short story is well written - ( I read the short ebook version and listened to the Audiobook) > combined it didn’t take much time.
The Audiobook added quality to the text...
But
Mackey
Of all of the novellas in the Forward Collection on Amazon, You Have Arrived at Your Destination was my favorite. Genetic engineering scares the hell out of me and to see it so vividly in print was downright terrifying. I absolutely loved the ending! The entire collection is interesting but if you only read one of the offerings, read this one.
Char
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR DESTINATION was a science fiction tale about eugenics, though that word is never mentioned.

The husband of a couple goes to a company called Vitek which is able to produce a child for them with whatever genes the parents would like. What's different about Vitek, though, is that they are able to show the parents videos of what their child would be like, depending on what "programming" they chose.

It's a disturbing and intriguing idea to write about, so I'm not sure why I
Kayla Dawn
This was a pretty decent short story.
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-shelf
The blurb says most of it. This is a short about Nature Vs. Nurture.

But what it doesn't say is just how much it's really about determinism. Those moments in our lives that make us reel back and take stock and make us set off in that new direction.

Are you a Third Act kind of person?

Rewrite the script, yo!

I like this one a LOT. I don't like having everything set out for me, either. I want to drive to my own destination, thank you.
Carol (Bookaria)
This is my favorite story of the FORWARD collection! They have all been excellent, but this one had a touch of humor that I loved.

The story is divided in three acts, and this part is relevant to the narrative. I am not going to go and describe each part because then we would get into spoilers and the story itself is so short I urge you to go read it.

I loved the main character, I loved the supporting character and the reactions along the way. It was different than the others stories in the sense
Richard Derus
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Real Rating: 2.5* of five

This is one of the Forward Collection, short stories...this one's 46pp...based on an idea by Blake Crouch to explore the nature of change, innovation, and society in fiction. I didn't feel this entry suited the brief. It's too gee-whiz about self-driving cars, a thing that's already entered its second decade of reality...it's entirely too wowee-toledo about the idea of in vitro genetic manipulation, something that's basically ready to roll as soon as a generation less
DeAnn
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 thought-provoking stars

This was a quick read as it is a short story, perfect for the airport! I read "A Gentleman in Moscow" by this author and loved it. I also had a chance to hear the author speak, so I was excited to see this new choice out by this author.

This is a futuristic tale, reminded me a bit of Ray Bradbury, about the future of genetic choices and babies. It was chilling and gave me some food for thought about how much science has gotten involved in this industry. How far would
Trish
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story about a pivotal point in technological advancement is about reproduction. Yes, human reproduction. As such, this was especially interesting since we've had a lot of discussions online and in different governments about what is technologically possible and what people think/feel should be morally doable.

Sam is asked by his wife if they want to try one of the companies helping humans to conceive a somewhat enhanced child. No implants, no genetic alterations like laser eyes - "just"
Constantine

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Science Fiction + Short Story

This is the fourth book in Amazon's Forward collection series. Set in the far future where one can not just know the gender of his offspring but also his future from birth, childhood to adulthood! Sam & his wife Anne go to a company that helps them to see the future of their son Daniel through three projections. There are some terrifying moments for the parents to see how their future child will turn up.

This was a short enjoyable read. I
Henk
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fallacy of statistics and averages versus life
It goes without saying that our lives are intricate and multifaceted. But they also tend to have a larger arc that takes us from a position of youthful self-assurance through a period of setbacks, leading to a third phase in which, if we’re lucky, we’ve confronted our limitations and become deeper people ready to lead richer lives.

Another book on gene editing, after I just finished The Island of Doctor Moreau.
Here we are not confronted with
Cheri
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 46-page short story is an exploration of the potential for creating designer babies by genetic engineering, allowing potential parents to choose the physical and intellectual attributes which will potentially lead to different futures for this child over the years. Their future success and personality depending on the choices made by the parents. Choices which are made by viewing videos made by this fertility lab, Vitek, showing the outcomes of various potential choices, the potential ...more
Hamad
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

This was a little bit tough to get into but I really liked the idea behind it!

Maybe because I am a doctor and I am interested in genetic engineering although what it imagined can be a little too far fetched! But this may be the story that made me think most and it provides ethical and philosophical problems that are worth pondering!

I did not know the author before reading this one, but I may check his other works because I really liked this one. The
Matthew Quann
Amor Towles' A Gentleman in Moscow is my favourite novel of 2019 so far, and this short story has a lot of the same charm. The lead character's tour through the potential futures of his offspring are garnished with substantive characters and genuinely great humour. I didn't quite know what to expect of Towles operating in a sci-fi setting, but he handles himself extremely well here and myself and my road trip companion both agreed that this was an absolute winner. If I had to come down on this ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
Reading 'You Have Arrived At Your Destination' by Amor Towles intrigued and depressed me. It brought to my mind the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

The cover blurb describing the plot makes it seem the book is about how in vitro fertilization combined with gene editing could be manipulated to make the nature/nurture process in the formation of a person's personality traits almost obsolete or not applicable. Ignore the blurb. I think the author's plot is more subtle and multilayered than
Monica
I liked this near future short story about boutique parentage. Picking the qualities you think you want in a child. Creative and fascinating. I must read more Amor Towles.

4.5 Stars

Listened to this on Audible. Excellent narration.
Rita
.This short story, part of the Amazon Forward collection, was a total mess. I had a hard time believing that it was written by Amor Towles, author of A Gentleman in Moscow, one of my all time favorites. I couldn't stand the main character and the plot made no sense.
Sam and his wife, Annie, are having a hard time conceiving a baby,so they turn to this brand new fertility clinic, Vitech. That is supposed to be the main premise of this story. However, soon the story goes completely off the rails
WendyB
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Just alright.
Not sure I completely understood the purpose of the story or the ending.
Cathy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I have arrived at the end of this story. Wut? Ok, rewind, what kind of ending was that? I am confused and a little unsatisfied with it. Too open and abrupt for my taste.

However, I liked the story as such. Pretty creepy, actually. Getting shown three potential versions of your yet-to-conceive child and how he will do in life. How do you choose, aka which of those future is the most worthy? What in life do you value the most? What means happiness, where is the value in life? Does it matter how you
Sonja Arlow
3.5 great stars

Within the span of only 47 pages Amor Towles created a fully realized story. An impressive feat!

A Gentleman in Moscow unfolded in a slow beautiful way, not pacing that can work in a short story but the author is clearly more versatile than I thought.

I can’t really say much about the story without giving away the plot but it was a speculative look at the future of genetic engineering. I particularly liked the ending.

This story forms part of the latest Amazon Originals collection
Mwanamali
This book is highly atmospheric and gives you a hell of a lot to think about. I can't say much about it without giving a lot away. Amor Towles is a master storyteller.
Cathrine ☯️
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
From the Amazon Forward Collection/free for Prime members.
Though not a Sci-fi fan I had to check this out because the author wrote one of my favorite books ever, A Gentleman in Moscow. I think it was just over an hour to listen to and the narration was excellent; really added to my enjoyment. Interesting and thoughtful read.
Diane
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, ebook
Well, that was depressing. An interesting thought experiment, but ultimately painting a bleak picture of a possible (probable?) future. The writing was good. The narration the best part, but slightly monotone.
Cher
4.5 stars - Incredible. I really loved it.

Incredibly thought-provoking and fascinating concept. I have now read 5 of the 6 short stories in this collection and so far this one is far, far in the lead for being the best. Which, that’s not surprising given how wonderful his novel, A Gentleman in Moscow was. The narration of the audiobook was done by the actor that plays Jim Hopper on Stranger Things - great choice for the story.

-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: Our lives

• Forward Collection
  • The Lion's Den
  • Zenith Man
  • The Weddings
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Can You Feel This?
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
Born and raised in the Boston area, Amor Towles graduated from Yale College and received an MA in English from Stanford University. Having worked as an investment professional in Manhattan for over twenty years, he now devotes himself fulltime to writing. His first novel, Rules of Civility, published in 2011, was a New York Times bestseller in both hardcover and paperback and was ranked by the ...more

Forward (6 books)
  • Summer Frost
  • Ark
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Randomize
“A second-act setback—in which, having started confidently along a particular trajectory, we come face-to-face with our own limitations.” 3 likes
“our strengths don’t serve us well in every circumstance at every phase of our lives. As we grow and enter new contexts, our longer-term strengths can suddenly hamper our worldly progress, which in turn can create dissonance at home.” 2 likes