Start by marking “The Tea Chest” as Want to Read:
The Tea Chest

The Tea Chest

Boston, 1773
Emma Malcolm's father is staunchly loyal to the crown, but Emma's heart belongs to Noah Winslow, a lowly printer's assistant and Patriot. But her father has promised her hand to Samuel Clarke, a rapacious and sadistic man. As his fianc�e, she would have to give up Noah and the friends who have become like family to her--as well as the beliefs she has come to em
Published February 4th 2020 by Tyndale House Publishers

Start your review of The Tea Chest
Beth
The Tea Chest was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020, and it was well worth the wait. I’m convinced that Chiavaroli is the queen of dual-time narratives. Both the contemporary and the historical narratives are compulsively readable. There’s never a point that I desired to be back in one when I was in the other, rather I was always eager to “be” in whatever part of the story I found myself in. I couldn’t put the book down, but at the same time, I tried my best not to rush through it, wantin ...more
Jocelyn Green
Captivating from the first page. I couldn’t read this novel fast enough, and yet the beautiful writing compelled me to slow down and experience every line. Dual tales of courage, love, and freedom proved even more poignant for being woven together as one. Steeped in timeless truths and served with skill, The Tea Chest is sure to be savored by all who read it.
Jaime Jo Wright
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was honored to read an early copy for endorsement. Not only did I heartily endorse but I also heartily encourage you to preorder ASAP!! So good.
Heidi Chiavaroli
Jan 28, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so excited and honored to present this book to you! There’s so much I’ve been through with these characters—characters that I’ve come to love (even if they caused me heartache and tears at times). In many ways, they’re like my children. And now, I’m releasing them out into the world! To you! Craziness!

From the moment I read a news report about the first woman entering the training pipeline to become a Navy SEAL, something tugged at my heart. Though unnamed, I could identify with this woman—
Deanne Patterson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
This is the first book I've read by Heidi Chiavaroli and I can tell you this it was a highly anticipated read for me and it lived up to and surpassed my expectations.
The author can really work that dual time line , each time period was fully researched with much attention to detail and the characters blend together perfectly from the dual time line.
The research was impeccable, which I always appreciate in a historical book because I learn a lot from reading them. The history behind the Boston Te
Staci
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love or Liberty? This was the question asked by both Emma Malcolm in 1773 Boston and Lieutenant Haley Ashworth in present day California and Boston.

This was an engaging novel that beautifully intertwined the stories of two different time periods. At the heart of both was two strong women torn between duty to country and a chance at love. There is a lot of wonderful history that shows the backstory of the dumping of tea and what was at stake for those involved.

I loved the quotes that opened each
Jerry
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
While having two stories at once was a bit confusing--I kept having to flip back to see what happened just before the previous switch--this was still an engaging read. (view spoiler) ...more
Nicole
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Inkwell Inspirations

“Which is more honorable - loyalty or liberty?”

With powerful authenticity, award winning author Heidi Chiavaroli takes readers on an emotional and highly compelling journey to the birthplace of the American Revolution in her latest novel, The Tea Chest. This time-slip novel follows the historical storyline of Emma Malcolm, the daughter of a Loyalist, during 1773 in Boston and the present-day storyline of Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth, who is determined to ov
Missy
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting to read this one, just glad it came up as a buddy read this month. I always love to see how the two time lines work together, how a found long lost family heirloom breaks open the long family history, and how those family traits continue after generations.

This was the story of Emma Winslow the daughter of a Loyalist, and the wife of a Yankee, but had such strength to still be strong in the fight for American Independence. Hayley Ashworth grew up in the Boston area and is back
Renee
Heidi Chiavaroli is one of my go-to authors for historical fiction. I love her stories & this one is no exception! This dual timeline tale tells the story of two women from different time periods, who discover how strong they are as they fight for life, liberty & happiness. Don’t miss this one! It’s a favorite.
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"You don't have to be afraid to face your past if you're certain of what you're about now."

Two women, living centuries apart, are uncertain of who they are. Caught between loyalty or liberty, Emma Malcom's British roots are deeply embedded, yet it's an handsome Patriot who causes her heart to sing. Could she? Would she?

Fast forward to Lietenant Hayley Ashworth, a woman whose loyalty to the U. S. Navy prompts her to seek what no other woman has ever achieved; inducation into the Navy SE
Sarita
This was really a great story! And the narrators were excellent and definitely added to my enjoyment - they delivered an emotionally rich narration of this story.

Emma’s story was filled with bravery, courage, heartbreak and love. There was scenes that made me cringe with what she had to endure.

Hayley’s story was also filled with heartbreak and some serious emotional baggage which she worked through as she discovered Emma’s story.

I did enjoy Emma’s story more and really felt that in her struggles
Joleen
Boston, 1773
Emma Malcolm: At odds with her feelings of loyalty or liberty
Noah Winslow: Emma’s Patriot love interest
Samuel Clarke: Emma’s intended (ewww)
Sarah and John: Friends Emma wished her parents were like

Current Day: Coronado California and Boston
Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth: Attempting to be the first Navy SEAL
Ethan Gagnon: Boyfriend she left behind to pursue her dream
Lena: Hayley’s drug addicted mother

Loyalty or liberty? This was the question in both timelines.

1773: For Emma whose parents
Martha
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is often historical fiction where the story is not focused on the history, but the relationships within the book.
In this time slip fiction, both women were seeking to find who they were outside of their family of origin. They sought to find fulfillment in sacrificing themselves and what they wanted to help others.
I loved the lessons in this story, both main characters were grappling and losing with finding their identity. The realization of who they were and how it had nothing to do with
Leanne
Jul 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This author has been on my radar for awhile and while perusing the shelves at the library, this book got my attention. I had a hard time putting it down. Being a dual-time story, I got engrossed reading Emma's account and didn't want it to end but then with Hayley's story, the same thing happened. But then I was eager to get back to Emma's story. I think this is one of the best dual-time stories I have read.

It was interesting to read historical fiction of the Revolutionary War era and to learn m
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I'm STILL processing this read - so good & so poignant. Completely captivating from start to finish. Longer review to come... ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE TEA CHEST is an emotional story about two women who live centuries apart from each other, but who relate in similar ways. They're connected by a tea chest, allowing for the woman who comes later to find strength in the woman who came before her. A story about family, loyalty, freedom, perseverance, faith and love.

I immediately got into Hayley's story. She was facing the extreme challenge of BUD/S training to become a Navy SEAL. I loved her determination and her heart. I also felt like her ch
Kristi
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. I found the dual timeline interesting. I would go from one to the other on which was my favorite. The history learned in 1773 version was authentic and enlightening. I thought the characters where well developed and can see reading more books by this author.

I listened to the audio version and thought the narrator did an excellent job.

1773 - Emma Malcolm Winslow
Present day - Hayley Ashworth

Rating: PG
Language: there were some "swearing" done, but not actually spoken, no prof
Loraine
Excellent, dual time line Revolutionary War, historical fiction.
Nora St Laurent
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Passion for American history shines through as this author gives readers a front row seat to events leading up to and those after the Boston Tea party, through the eyes of tender-hearted Emma Malcom and her family.

I enjoy how this author masterfully weaves together the Boston Tea party story and one in current time with an incredible journey of the first women to make an attempt at becoming a navy seal. Both story lines are engaging and gripping. I hated when one story line switched because I wa
Maureen Timerman
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This one quickly became a page turner, and really didn’t want it to end. The author did a wonderful job of tying this story together from the past to the present.
I loved the historical aspect of this book, and we get to walk in these amazing character’s shoes!
We switch between 1700’s to present day, from Revolutionary times to readying to join the Navy Seals. From the terror of fighting for a cause to again training for a cause.
I loved how all of my questions were answers, maybe not how I wanted
Kate
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this time slip novel. The prologue intrigued me enough about Hayley's story to want to know what would come next for her, but for me, it was Emma's plotline that really shone. I was pulled into the earliest days of the American Revolution as Emma struggled with the question: which is more honourable: loyalty or liberty?
That question was also something that Hayley struggled with in the present day, and I liked how the discovery of Emma's tea chest sent her (and Ethan) on a journey
Becca-Rae Weidel
Whatever you call them, time slip or dual timeline, this is very quickly becoming a favorite genre, and even before this read Heidi Chiavaroli held a place on my "must read authors" list. She writes with such vivid imagery (without going overboard) that it feels as if you've stepped right into the setting yourself.

Something unique about this read compared to most other books I've read in the genre, is that there were several chapters in between jumping between the timelines. Instead of switchin
Marguerite Gray
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! What a thrilling tale. It makes me want to look for a forgotten family item and research its connection to the past. The American Revolution is treasure trove of possibilities for adventure. Well done!
Monica
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli after looking forward to this book for several months--and it did not disappoint.

In this dual time line book, Chiavaroli tells the stories of two strong women. Emma Malcom who lives in Boston in 1773 as the daughter of a hard man who is loyal to the crown. He has also promised her hand to Samuel Clarke even though her heart belongs to Noah Winslow, a Patriot.

Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth goes home to Boston to tie up lose ends and find he
Kailey
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I really enjoyed both storylines and how the wove together. I think I enjoyed the historical part of the story more though. I loved how both parts featured strong women. I’m looking forward to reading more from Heidi Chiavaroli!!
Kellie Stocker
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clearly one of my favorite authors! Fell in love with the characters and the traveling back and forth from past history to present day. I loved how the author weaved a beautiful tapestry of relating our past to our future and how important history is. Thank you!!
Lori
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited that Netgalley finally approved me to read this book!
I really really enjoyed this book!!
I try never to miss any of this authors books. Her style of writing is awesome! She really does pull you into her stories so much that you won't want to put it down!
I loved Emma's story and the Boston Tea Party is an excellent setting.
I learned a lot.
This is a setting that is hardly ever mentioned in a fiction story or I don't remember reading anywhere.
I had a book hangover the next day a
Ashley Johnson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again Heidi Chiavaroli has managed to capture a well know period of time and transport readers to experience it through her words. Her writing is completely captivating! This book is expertly crafted, intertwining historical and present day storylines. Heidi Chiavaroli is extremely gifted at writing such raw and real characters that I always race to the authors notes when I finish to see which characters are real and which are fictional. This was a very tumultuous period of time in history ...more
Melissa
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a skillfully woven tale! Heidi wove the stories of Emma and Hayley beautifully with their struggles and fears being very similar despite the over 200 years separating them. The story overall reads quickly(at least for me) but it wasn't the easiest read for me due to some of the heartbreaking moments as well as a couple of other plot points that happen during Emma's story line. I enjoyed the mystery for Hayley and Ethan to find out more about the Tea Chest and learning about Noah and Emma in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Thief of Blackfriars Lane
  • All Through the Night
  • The Hope of Christmas
  • Shadows of the White City (The Windy City Saga, #2)
  • Chasing the White Lion (Talia Inger, #2)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor, #3)
  • Night Bird Calling
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim, #10)
  • The Curator's Daughter
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • Brand of Light (The Droseran Saga #1)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • Daughters of Northern Shores (Blackbird Mountain, #2)
Heidi Chiavaroli is a writer, runner, and grace-clinger who could spend hours exploring places that whisper of historical secrets. Her debut novel, Freedom's Ring, was a Carol Award winner and a Christy Award finalist, a Romantic Times Top Pick, and a Booklist Top Ten Romance Debut. Her latest dual timeline novel, The Orchard House, is inspired by the lesser-known events in Louisa May Alcott's lif ...more