Start by marking “The Tea Chest” as Want to Read:
The Tea Chest

The Tea Chest

Boston, 1773
Emma Malcolm's father is staunchly loyal to the crown, but Emma's heart belongs to Noah Winslow, a lowly printer's assistant and Patriot. But her father has promised her hand to Samuel Clarke, a rapacious and sadistic man. As his fiance, she would have to give up Noah and the friends who have become like family to her--as well as the beliefs she has come to
Published February 4th 2020 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published February 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Tea Chest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tea Chest

Start your review of The Tea Chest
Jocelyn Green
Captivating from the first page. I couldn’t read this novel fast enough, and yet the beautiful writing compelled me to slow down and experience every line. Dual tales of courage, love, and freedom proved even more poignant for being woven together as one. Steeped in timeless truths and served with skill, The Tea Chest is sure to be savored by all who read it.
Jaime Jo Wright
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was honored to read an early copy for endorsement. Not only did I heartily endorse but I also heartily encourage you to preorder ASAP!! So good.
Staci
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Love or Liberty? This was the question asked by both Emma Malcolm in 1773 Boston and Lieutenant Haley Ashworth in present day California and Boston.

This was an engaging novel that beautifully intertwined the stories of two different time periods. At the heart of both was two strong women torn between duty to country and a chance at love. There is a lot of wonderful history that shows the backstory of the dumping of tea and what was at stake for those involved.

I loved the quotes that opened each
Heidi Chiavaroli
Jan 28, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so excited and honored to present this book to you! There’s so much I’ve been through with these characters—characters that I’ve come to love (even if they caused me heartache and tears at times). In many ways, they’re like my children. And now, I’m releasing them out into the world! To you! Craziness!

From the moment I read a news report about the first woman entering the training pipeline to become a Navy SEAL, something tugged at my heart. Though unnamed, I could identify with this woman—
Nicole
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted on Inkwell Inspirations

“Which is more honorable - loyalty or liberty?”

With powerful authenticity, award winning author Heidi Chiavaroli takes readers on an emotional and highly compelling journey to the birthplace of the American Revolution in her latest novel, The Tea Chest. This time-slip novel follows the historical storyline of Emma Malcolm, the daughter of a Loyalist, during 1773 in Boston and the present-day storyline of Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth, who is determined to
Martha
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is often historical fiction where the story is not focused on the history, but the relationships within the book.
In this time slip fiction, both women were seeking to find who they were outside of their family of origin. They sought to find fulfillment in sacrificing themselves and what they wanted to help others.
I loved the lessons in this story, both main characters were grappling and losing with finding their identity. The realization of who they were and how it had nothing to do with
Becca-Rae Weidel
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whatever you call them, time slip or dual timeline, this is very quickly becoming a favorite genre, and even before this read Heidi Chiavaroli held a place on my "must read authors" list. She writes with such vivid imagery (without going overboard) that it feels as if you've stepped right into the setting yourself.

Something unique about this read compared to most other books I've read in the genre, is that there were several chapters in between jumping between the timelines. Instead of switching
Maureen Timerman
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This one quickly became a page turner, and really didn’t want it to end. The author did a wonderful job of tying this story together from the past to the present.
I loved the historical aspect of this book, and we get to walk in these amazing character’s shoes!
We switch between 1700’s to present day, from Revolutionary times to readying to join the Navy Seals. From the terror of fighting for a cause to again training for a cause.
I loved how all of my questions were answers, maybe not how I wanted
Nora St Laurent
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Passion for American history shines through as this author gives readers a front row seat to events leading up to and those after the Boston Tea party, through the eyes of tender-hearted Emma Malcom and her family.

I enjoy how this author masterfully weaves together the Boston Tea party story and one in current time with an incredible journey of the first women to make an attempt at becoming a navy seal. Both story lines are engaging and gripping. I hated when one story line switched because I
Lori
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited that Netgalley finally approved me to read this book!
I really really enjoyed this book!!
I try never to miss any of this authors books. Her style of writing is awesome! She really does pull you into her stories so much that you won't want to put it down!
I loved Emma's story and the Boston Tea Party is an excellent setting.
I learned a lot.
This is a setting that is hardly ever mentioned in a fiction story or I don't remember reading anywhere.
I had a book hangover the next day
Amy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chiavaroli proves herself a master at the intersection of history and present-day in her new novel, The Tea Chest. A gripping tale of the Boston Tea Party and the choices we all must make for truth, the power of forgiveness, and the freedom that comes when we realize to Whom we truly belong. Swoon-worthy romance, heartbreak, and intrigue combine for a thrilling story that will keep me thinking for a long time to come. Bravo!
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
This story is an impressive work of art. Filled with emotion and bold characters who are unapologetic in their beliefs and relentless in their pursuit of liberty. The abundant life breathed into these characters and the authentic attention to historical details all came together to create a vibrant story that is sure to stick with you long after you’ve read the last words on the page.

I fully enjoyed my time spent with this dual-timeline story. If you had asked me early on I would have said that
Karen Sargent
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Tea Chest is destined to be another award-winner for Heidi Chiavaroli. Once again, she masterfully weaves the past and the present to explore significant themes and bring them to life through her characters. You will become part of the story as Heidi's craft draws you into the pages. I cheered for Emma and Hayley as they pushed against barriers and made hard choices. This is definitely my favorite Heidi Chiavaroli book.
Ashley Johnson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again Heidi Chiavaroli has managed to capture a well know period of time and transport readers to experience it through her words. Her writing is completely captivating! This book is expertly crafted, intertwining historical and present day storylines. Heidi Chiavaroli is extremely gifted at writing such raw and real characters that I always race to the authors notes when I finish to see which characters are real and which are fictional. This was a very tumultuous period of time in history ...more
Leslie M.
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Leslie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Tea Chest is a split-time novel set in present-day and Revolutionary War-era Boston, Massachusetts. As the title suggests, a tea chest plays an important role in the story and serves as the main connecting point between the modern and historical characters. The modern day character, Hayley, comes from a dysfunctional family and has tried to find herself through a Navy career and attempting to become a Navy Seal. The home life of Revolutionary War character Emma isn't much better and she ...more
Jodi
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just...WOW!!! This is the first book I've read by Heidi Chiavaroli, but it definitely will not be the last. The stunning cover of The Tea Chest immediately caught my eye and peaked my curiosity, I'd never even heard of Heidi Chiavaroli, so thank you amazing cover art designer I might not have picked up this book if it were not for you!

I finished reading this book and my heart ached. This book is brilliantly written and Heidi Chiavaroli does not shy away from making her characters go through
Charlene
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a page turner! I found myself needing to learn the outcome of the events for Hayley, Ethan, Emma, Noah, Sarah, and John. The characters were well developed...some I didn’t like, some I didn’t understand their choices, and some I grew to understand and like! I stayed up late reading. I woke up and stayed in bed reading...just to learn a bit more of their story.
Their struggles, though different, relatable to many we have today. Do we put ourselves first, or choose to care for someone
Darlene Wilson
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heidi Chiavaroli has become one of my favorite authors. I just can't get enough of her writing and always anxiously await her next novel. Heidi does an excellent job crafting a story, the descriptive writing drawing you in and bringing you right in the midst of the story. In The Tea Chest, I was held captive by Emma's gripping story, and felt Hayley's struggle to overcome her past and her view of herself. This time slip novel touches on timeless common struggles of humanity.
I received an ARC
Blessed & Bookish
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli is a magnificent time-slip novel that interweaves the excitement and uncertainty of a woman Patriot in the Revolutionary period with the life of a woman who is attempting to be the first female U.S. Navy SEAL.
This is only the second time-slip novel I’ve read, and it quickly became my favorite. Although the timeline jumps a couple of hundred years between Emma’s story of fighting for liberty with the Patriots in and around Boston and Hayley’s quest to prove
Beth
The Tea Chest was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020, and it was well worth the wait. I’m convinced that Chiavaroli is the queen of dual-time narratives. Both the contemporary and the historical narratives are compulsively readable. There’s never a point that I desired to be back in one when I was in the other, rather I was always eager to “be” in whatever part of the story I found myself in. I couldn’t put the book down, but at the same time, I tried my best not to rush through it, ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE TEA CHEST is an emotional story about two women who live centuries apart from each other, but who relate in similar ways. They're connected by a tea chest, allowing for the woman who comes later to find strength in the woman who came before her. A story about family, loyalty, freedom, perseverance, faith and love.

I immediately got into Hayley's story. She was facing the extreme challenge of BUD/S training to become a Navy SEAL. I loved her determination and her heart. I also felt like her
Kristina
The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli is a split time novel. It features two strong women from two different centuries. Emma Malcolm is interested in politics despite being told it is unladylike and inappropriate. While her father is loyal to the King in 1773 Boston, Emma sides with those who are against the tyranny of the crown with their endless taxes. Emma has fallen for printer’s apprentice, Noah Winslow. Unfortunately, her father has betrothed Emma to Samuel Clarke whose father is an importer. ...more
Emily P
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heidi Chiavaroli is one of my favorite time slip authors. The detail and significance she weaves from true historical events, then crafting characters who occupy the same space, as well as the contemporary characters that are often experiencing some of the same struggles...I mean, there are only a few authors I can truly say I don't miss any of their books. Chiavaroli is one of those few!

"The Tea Chest" is a exploration of the lives of two different women who have a connection that bridges
Ashley
The Tea Chest was an amazing and breathtaking read. It held me captive from beginning to end. It was a definite page-turner that was almost impossible to put down. I can't say enough good things about it.

I was pulled right into the story, into these characters lives. The real world faded away. I was no longer sitting in my bedroom, but was right beside Haley before and during her SEAL training and back in Boston with her investigating the history of the tea chest. I was right there back in 1773
Tabitha Bouldin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Do you ever start a book without any expectations? I’ve read dual timeline before, and I love them. But I’ve never read Heidi Chiavaroli before. Until now.

Straight away, I connected with Hayley. She’s out to prove herself, and no one is a harder taskmaster than her own conscious. She’s fierce, independent, and an all-out warrior who will do anything to become more than her past.

Then, we meet Emma. Equally powerful character. Born into a world ripping itself apart, Emma has to choose which is
Monica
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli after looking forward to this book for several months--and it did not disappoint.

In this dual time line book, Chiavaroli tells the stories of two strong women. Emma Malcom who lives in Boston in 1773 as the daughter of a hard man who is loyal to the crown. He has also promised her hand to Samuel Clarke even though her heart belongs to Noah Winslow, a Patriot.

Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth goes home to Boston to tie up lose ends and find
Inspirationalfictionreader
Heidi Chiavaroli is master of the time-slip novel! She always writes stories that pull you in and make you invested in the characters and their lives. I always get so into whichever story that I am reading, that I don’t want to switch back!

The historical part of this story takes place around the Boston Tea party and subsequent Revolutionary War. I really liked both Noah and Emma. Without going into spoiler territory, I would say that the historical part was very informative and very realistic.
Pam
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After high school, Hayley Ashworth left her neglectful, addicted mother without a backward glance to join the Navy. Now six years later, Hayley returns to her hometown for some kind of resolution with her mother before training to hopefully become the first woman SEAL. She encounters Ethan Gagnon, who she loved as a teenager. When Ethan tells her to choose anything she wants from his antique store, Hayley selects a tea chest. When the chest falls from the counter, she discovers a paper hidden in ...more
Kelly Goshorn
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book. I really couldn't put it down. The author writes with great detail that immerses you in revolutionary Boston as easily as modern day California. I was struck by the amount of research that she must have done to create the Navy Seal training scenes. As a lover of historical romance, the historical thread was probably my favorite. As a woman in the 18th century, Emma Malcolm didn't have many choices but when put to the test, she chose to follow her own convictions when it ...more

• On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Gray Chamber
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • If for Any Reason
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Isaiah's Legacy (Prophets and Kings #3)
  • Daughter of Rome
Heidi Chiavaroli is a writer, runner, and grace-clinger who could spend hours exploring places that whisper of historical secrets. She is an ACFW Carol Award winner and a Christy finalist. Both her debut novel, "Freedom's Ring" and her sophomore novel, "The Hidden Side" are Romantic Times Top Picks. "Freedom's Ring" was also a BOOKLIST Top Ten Romance Debut. She makes her home in Massachusetts ...more