Start by marking “Wine Simple: A Totally Approachable Guide from a World-Class Sommelier” as Want to Read:
Wine Simple: A Totally Approachable Guide from a World-Class Sommelier

Wine Simple: A Totally Approachable Guide from a World-Class Sommelier

From the world-renowned sommelier Aldo Sohm, a dynamic, essential wine guide for a new generation

Aldo Sohm is one of the most respected and widely lauded sommeliers in the world. He's worked with celebrated chef Eric Ripert as wine director of three-Michelin-starred Le Bernardin for over a decade, yet his philosophy and approach to wine is much more casual. Aldo's debut
Published November 19th 2019 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Wine Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wine Simple

Start your review of Wine Simple: A Totally Approachable Guide from a World-Class Sommelier
Christina Rzepka
Really enjoyed this book!! Will definitely refer to this book for years to come.
Madeline
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mean...I don't know anything about wine and borrowed this book because it was colorful, but I learned that I probably killed my fancy German wine by leaving it in the fridge since August. ...more
Claire
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite wine books I’ve read. Similar to wine folly but a different format. Equally fun, a bit more focused towards hospitality and home enjoyment of wine than really building up knowledge base of regions etc. I may buy a copy!
Salliewt
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely organized, easy to understand, and full of great charts and illustrations that provide additional information. Font size seemed too big at first, but got used to it quickly. Really nice book to read if you have an interest in wine.
Jacob Avery
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read. I definitely will leave on my coffee table and will continually refer to it. Learned a lot, accessible - anyone who likes wine should pick up this book.
Zahreen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent and beautiful guide - highly reccomend along with Wine All The Time by Marissa Ross.
Michael MacDonald
Good and approachable overview of understanding wine from one of NYC's most tenured and venerated sommeliers. What I liked about this book was it's straightforward and succinct format, with good tips scattered throughout. Sohm's tips for pairing are super-helpful for someone like me who really doesn't know where to start in pairing wine & food. Sohm introduced me to the phrase, "wine wardrobe" to describe the wine that you keep as party of your pantry for enjoyment - a lot more relatable of a ph ...more
Mason Jones
This is a fun read. I'm pretty wine-familiar, but wouldn't call myself an expert, especially when going outside the California wines. This is a fun book, presented in a breezy, casual way but with lots of information. It's a book that you'll read through, learn bits and pieces from, then use as a reference in the future. The topics include everything from varietals and regions to how to taste and pay attention to the wines, glassware and storage, and more. Fun. I give it 3 stars instead of 4 bec ...more
Michelle Pier
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, wine
If you’re looking for the perfect gift for the wine lover 🍷 in your life, Wine Simple by Aldo Sohm is it! (Sohm is the wine director at the fabulous Le Bernardin restaurant in NYC as well as owner of the Aldo Sohm Wine Bar).

This is a totally approachable guide to learning more about wine growing, wine regions, how to taste, how to pair, even how to pick the right glasses!

And it’s so beautifully designed and illustrated! I wish I could share pictures on here. This is definitely staying on my coff
Terry Croyle
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Much fun, much to learn and retain. I appreciated that each important element was presented in no more than two pages. Aldo Sohm has a grasp on wine that would require a lifetime in the business to acquire and has graciously shared this knowledge with us. The book reinforced the fact that if I really want to become knowledgeable about wine, I'd better get started on the practice of mindful drinking. Will keep this one around for reference. ...more
Michelle Kuhn
I learned a lot more than I ever knew existed about regions, varietals, pairings, and flavors! Went a little too specific and detailed for me, as I am truly clueless when it comes to wine. Hopefully, I will grow into the knowledge as I taste more wine and reference this book to understand what I am tasting and the particular journey of grape to glass. The illustrations and pages were so beautiful, it makes a nice coffee table book.
Chris Collier
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best impulse book purchase I’ve ever made. Exciting, inspiring, humbling. Aldo makes wine drinking accessible and inspires me to want better wines. He also subtly.... bluntly showed me in this book everything I do wrong, and yet he does so with the most grace and lack of arrogance I’ve experienced from a sommelier. If you’re mildly interested in wine, buy this book.
Meredith
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the cost of the book and the time it took to read it. I'll definitely use it as a quick reference book, too. ...more
Julie Bock
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Plainly written. Approachable information for wine drinkers and appreciators of all levels. Great insider information and guidance from one of the best sommeliers!
Cynthia Van
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished within one day, very enjoyable and easily digested introduction to wine.
Alexa
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read on wine and wine making. I learned a lot!
Adam
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the world of wine, which assumes you know very little and explains all through artwork and breakdowns of key knowledge.
Christine
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lived the graphic format, easy going and informative read. Now I'm off to drink..... ...more
Geo
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elegant and informative. My untrained palette is not worthy, but Sohm says that is where anyone should start. Helpful in planning my next Named Wines order!
Mimi
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I could have read during this Sheltering in Place.

It felt like I traveled to France,Italy,Spain,California etc and walked through grape vines and tasted wonderful wines with lovely people.

I also learned a lot. It is unpretentious and funny. 🍷
Meredith
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As the title says this is a simple guide to wine and how to pair it to types of food, regions of cuisine, etc.
While fun and interesting as an ebook, I'm definitely considering it as a paperback to add to my collection as a quick reference of what to drink.
Marcelo Ferranti
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wine
The best intro book about wine out there.
Linnea
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply accessible and entertaining. I love wine and always want to learn more and this book embraces the basics as much as the fancy sommelier tricks, so I learned a lot while also nodding my head in agreement. Caveat: I know that pricing is always an issue re. wine, but this book does assume a certain solvency, so take that with a grain of salt.
Janette Valencia
Easy to read, nice colorful pages. A great addition to your wine learning books.
Megan Dill
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! I’ll be going back to this book often when pondering which wine to try next.🍷🥂
Jen
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not really a book to sit down and read, more of a reference guide to someone wanting to learn about wine - which I am! Really clear and interesting information, and a beautifully designed book.
Kate

• The New Wine Rules: A Genuinely Helpful Guide to Everything You Need to Know
  • Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Ordinary Grace
  • Every Day Is Saturday: Recipes and Strategies for Easy Cooking, Every Day of the Week
  • Binging with Babish: 100 Recipes Recreated from Your Favorite Movies and TV Shows
  • Bread on the Table: Recipes for Making and Enjoying Europe's Most Beloved Breads
  • Gennaro's Pasta Perfecto!: The essential collection of fresh and dried pasta dishes
  • Big Macs & Burgundy: Wine Pairings for the Real World
  • Kristy's Great Idea
  • Women: The National Geographic Image Collection
  • Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • The Plant Paradox Family Cookbook: 80 One-Pot Recipes to Nourish Your Family Using Your Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or Sheet Pan
  • The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes