Start by marking “Fire, Fog and Water (Sgt. Windflower Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
Fire, Fog and Water (Sgt. Windflower Mystery #8)

Fire, Fog and Water

(Sgt. Windflower Mysteries #8)

Sergeant Winston Windflower and his trusty crew at the Grand Bank detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have more than a few mysteries on their hands. Windflower suspects that the three cases—a homicide, a near-homicide and a fire on Coronation Street—are somehow connected, but how is proving difficult to determine, especially now that he must battle his unusuall ...more
Published October 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Fire, Fog and Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire, Fog and Water

Start your review of Fire, Fog and Water (Sgt. Windflower Mystery #8)
eyes.2c
Mounties and murder in Newfoundland!

March in Grand Bank, Newfoundland. Neither fish nor fowl. Sergeant Winston Windflower RCMP is angry, "he was sun-starved. And he knew he was angry."
"The rain, drizzle and fog didn’t help his mood either. It had been raining or drizzling or foggy every day that it hadn’t snowed."
Getting out of town and going for a run with his dog Lady always helped.
That was until Windflower slid down the greasy mountain trail, slapped into a boulder and found Lady digging up n
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this Canadian Police Procedural on September 22, 2019, from Netgalley, Mike Martin, and Ottawa Press and Publishing. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this 8th in the series of Sgt. Windflower Mysteries of my own volition and this review reflects my honest opinion of this work. I am very pleased to recommend this series to friends and family. This is my first exposure to Mike Martin, but I will read the first seven Windflowers I ha ...more
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The only thing you won't like about the Sgt. Windflower Mysteries is the weather.....but that's okay, the characters in the book don't like it very much either.

I have had the pleasure of reading all the books in this series and I can honestly say that I am a HUGE fan of the series and author Mike Martin. Now when I open one of the books, it's more than just reading a books, it's taking a vacation and visiting with family and friends.... and with every new book in the series you grow with them.

In
Hazel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is #8 in the Sgt.Winston Windflower series but is easily read as a standalone, although I would thoroughly recommend that readers indulge themselves with previous books (if not already done so-as I have done) to really immerse yourselves in these lovely stories of life for the RCMP Officer in Grand Bank, Newfoundland, and Winston's journey to the present time.
Reading this latest book is like putting on an old much-loved sweater, hot chocolate in hand, in front of a fire, to experience
Denise Zendel
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sgt. Winston Windflower is just not having a good day. It starts out with a fight with his wife, Sheila, and then he – literally – stumbles over a body while out for a run, and finishes up with getting the riot act from his acting boss.

He’s out of sorts, things are just “off” and he doesn’t know why. He tells a friend, “It’s like I’ve lost my voice. I don’t even know who I am anymore. I’ve turned into a husband and a father and a Mountie. But who am I, really? I feel overworked and under-appreci
Jim Napier
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sergeant Winston Windflower is the ranking officer in an RCMP detachment based in Grand Bank, a small village located on the south coast of Newfoundland. Like other such villages it is changing, experiencing crimes like drugs and murder, that locals haven’t often seen in their communities. The shift threatens Newfoundland’s traditional ways, a lifestyle that attracted Windflower to the province in the first place. It is a small posting, with a handful of junior officers and one civilian staff me ...more
Harold Walters
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read complete feature at the following link"

altwire.com/lifestyles/book-remarks-f...

Sgt. Winston Windflower is crooked as sin. Who can blame him? It’s March month in Grand Bank, Newfoundland and fog stoggs the space between sea and sky. It seems like the sun has hie-dee-hoed to foreign parts.

First thing in the morning Wince snaps at two of his staff — Const. Yvette Jones and Const. Rick Smithson. He’s so friggin’ crooked he even snaps at his administrative assistant, steadfast Betsy Molloy, who
Gaele
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I saw this title and was instantly intrigued by the setting of Grand Bank Newfoundland – an island (and province) I’ve visited frequently and sailed about often. While I was concerned coming into the eighth book in the series and wondering if there would be missed connections, Martin did a lovely job of building interest in earlier (and later) stories to come, while providing me with a read that was self-contained and well presented. Winston Windflower is a Sargent with the RCMP, and stationed i ...more
Ann
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like this series better with every book. The small town of Grand Bank sounds like a great place to live in Canada. This is book 8 in the Sgt. Windflower Mystery series and it's a winner. Could be read as a stand alone but lots has happened in the previous books that reflect on book 8. Slightly more than a cozy read but nothing too gory or scary this is a great read for teens to older connoisseurs of mystery novels. Sgt. Windflower is a native of the area and practices the old ways of his peopl ...more
Linda Fast
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The novel is set in Grand Bank, Nfld where Windflower is a RCMP sergeant. Windflower along with his officers investigate the murder of a man whose body was found rolled up in a carpet and dumped off the side of a hiking trail, a near hit and run as well as a fire and an explosion. The investigation also turns up a processing lab for drugs.
This is a cozy mystery that reflects life on the East Coast and is a wonderful Canadian read. Although this is a work of fiction the reader is let into the liv
Janet
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hope there will be many more in the series.
Diane Hernandez
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sergeant Winston Windflower is having a bad day. First, he has a fight with his wife. Then, he discovers that the roof on his B&B needs replacing. Finally, the weather in his hometown in Grand Banks, Newfoundland is foggy and wet. The ground still maintains its melting snow, now brown after mixing with the underlying dirt. At least, it’s not snowing. It is hard to realize that spring has sprung in Canada’s northernmost territory. It is March after all.

Attempting to
Schuyler Wallace
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

I just finished reading Mike Martin’s “Fire, Fog, and Water,” another in the Sgt. Windflower Mystery Series, although I view it as more of a passion play than a mystery.

Martin’s passions include infant care, marital devotion, doing the right thing, eating and drinking, and prayer at any given time. These are topics he regularly expounds on throughout his narrative, venturing sporadically into tough guys, crime, sleuthing and, yes, murder. He doesn’t spend a lot of time on the more gruesome aspe
Jan
Sgt Winston Windflower is a skilled law enforcement officer of the RCMP working in the small town of Grand Bank, doting husband and father, reliable friend, and experiencing a restless unease near the end of a long bleak winter. Then he literally trips over a frozen body in the snow while out running with his dog. And things go downhill from there. His temporary superior in a self serving bully who alienates everyone and finally pushes Cpl Eddie Tizzard too far and brings down serious trouble fo ...more
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I had read from this series. It will definitely NOT be the last.
I was impressed with the writing and the depth shown with the characters. The book and story are very well rounded between the crime aspect and the family and friendship parts.
Sgt. Windflower is not your typical police officer.
In the US we might call hum native but I guess indigenous is a good term. He has some seemingly mystical beliefs and practices such a dream walking that I felt added much to the story.
H
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fire, Fog And Water is the eighth book in the Sgt. Windflower Mystery series and gives us another insight into life in Grand Bank, Newfoundland. From the opening pages, I could tell something was not right - Winston Windflower was in a bad mood, arguing with his wife Sheila and shouting at his colleagues at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. What was going on? The gentle, kind-hearted Mountie is usually full of smiles and kindness for his fellow men ... and women ... and even pets !

See full revi
Kathy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading Mr. Martin and I really enjoyed it. I don't know much about Newfoundland so this was a treat. You really get a feel for the location that makes you want to visit.
The characters were really good and I love Windflower's daughter. She steals the show! I also love getting to know more about Windflower's family relationships along with his colleagues and neighbors. It's a mystery but it has lots of heart. Will be looking for more of this series soon.
I received a free cop
Jo Ann
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

This is the first book that I have read in the Sgt. Windflower series by Mike Martin.

I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and will read other books in the series. I have never been to Newfoundland and the descriptions of the environs make it sound like it's worth a visit.
Don Halpert
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Sgt. Windflower book may be his best. I enjoyed the story and the setting in small town Newfoundland. This is a great series - highly recommended.
Joanne Hurley
Dec 26, 2019
Michelle
Feb 23, 2021
Mike Martin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rosemary Cantrell
Donna Rose-tam
Dec 05, 2019
Cathy Austin
Dec 22, 2019

• On Borrowed Crime (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery, #1)
  • On Deadly Tides (Penny Brannigan, #11)
  • Deadly Cross (Alex Cross, #28)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Slated for Death (Penny Brannigan Mystery, #6)
  • The Marmalade Murders (Penny Brannigan, #9)
  • Remembering the Dead (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #10)
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • Haunted Homicide (A Haunted Mansion Mystery #1)
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The Convent: a gripping psychological mystery
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • A VOW OF SANCTITY an utterly gripping crime mystery (Sister Joan Murder Mystery Book 3)
  • Christmas Coins
  • Yom Killer: A Rabbi Aviva Cohen Mystery (Rabbi Aviva Cohen Mysteries Book 3)
  • Seasons Gone

Sgt. Windflower Mysteries (9 books)
  • The Walker on the Cape (Sgt. Windflower Mystery, #1)
  • The Body on the T (Sgt. Windflower Mystery, #2)
  • Beneath the Surface (Sgt. Windlfower Mystery, #3)
  • A Twist of Fortune (Sgt. Windflower Mystery, #4)
  • A Long Ways from Home (Sgt. Windflower Mysteries #5)
  • A Tangled Web (Sgt. Windflower Mystery #6
  • Darkest Before the Dawn (Sgt. Windflower Mysteries #7)
  • A Perfect Storm (Sgt. Windflower Mysteries, #9)